04/19/24 at 01:37:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZBIT into CSP325?? (Read 2180 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

ZBIT into CSP325??
07/08/22 at 03:42:43

Reading the DAC thread, I see (for the first time in my experience) an explicit reference to balanced connections yielding better sound, assuming balanced equipment.

I'm going to be connecting the single-ended outputs of a balanced DAC to a CSP325. I always thought balanced connections were mainly for avoiding ground issues. So this is new.

The solution suggested in the thread was a ZBIT. Which also "acts as a preamp."

I'm sure the range of pluses offered by the CSP325 (on order and not coming for many months at least) vs. the ZBIT, in its role as a preamp, are legion. OTOH everything I listen to is going to be coming through that DAC. I won't be using other sources.

Would I REALLY benefit from putting a ZBIT between the DAC and the CSP325? My listening environment is well-treated but very small. I also wonder about the advisability of putting another unit in the chain.

Or should I jettison the CSP325 and go with a ZBIT instead?

Kind of looking here for some technical justification, more than a "as soon as I plugged it in, things sounded spacious, richer, etc." type of comment. After the usual mods and shipping to Japan, the ZBIT is Not. Exactly. Cheap. Like, half the cost of a Pontus. I could almost buy a Denefrips DDC for that money. So I'm wondering.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: ZBIT into CSP325??
Reply #1 - 07/08/22 at 03:59:03

The technical justification starts with your DAC. What do you have? This whole thing only matters if the DAC is "fully balanced" meaning it does a separate digital to analog conversion for the + and - phases of both the left and right channels. Just having XLR outputs is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for the balanced thing to matter.

If you have such a DAC then you get all four phases on the XLR connections but only two of them on the RCAs. When you difference the balanced signal in e.g. a ZBIT then it averages out the artifacts from the digital to analog conversion in addition to canceling out the common mode noise. It's how you get the maximum performance from your DAC, but of course you're under no obligation to maximize anything and are free to use the RCA outputs if you don't want to mess with it.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/08/22 at 06:19:22

Thanks CA. Very clear!

The DAC is the Pontus II, so yes, it is fully balanced.

Your input makes sense technically, so I guess I can now ask if anyone has an opinion on the sound... Will I be able to hear the ZBIT I wonder, between a Pontus II and a CSP325, both fairly pricy pieces of gear.

I'm not a skeptic per se but it sure seems that putting new kinds of components between existing components -- to solve problems we didn't know needed solving -- is a growth area in high-end audio. Even the guy at Denefrips was kind of laughing on YouTube at his own justification for their DDC, kind of like "I guess what I'm saying is you might actually need this if you think you do..."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/08/22 at 10:42:36

Here's my two cents. Much is being made about "four" vs "two" channels in balanced mode. In my opinion and experience the "noise reduction" that results is not a huge factor in modern DACs and unless a) you are running really long interconnects and/or b) your DAC's output is low voltage it's not really necessary. The real advantage is the increased gain that benefits a DAC with a lower output.

In my case my DAC's voltage output is low and with low powered amps the RCA output is not quite sufficient without a preamp. With a ZBIT there is enough gain output to use without a preamp. Of course I was using more than two sources (added a tuner) and ended up with a balanced preamp--the ZTPRE--which improved the sound a step further but still necessitated a ZBIT for the best transfer of the signal gain to my amps.

So. . . my two cents. . . unless a) and/or b) are a factor you should get quite good sound without using the XLR to ZBIT to RCA added step.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 07/08/22 at 15:01:48

Hi Burgermeester,  

I'll leave the more technical discussion to others, and FWIW, here is my experience with two Denafrips DACs over the past year. First, I am using a CSP 2+ preamp to Torii MKIV amp. My first DAC was the Ares II, and when I first installed it, there was a significant improvement in sound quality over the Cambridge CXN v2 streamer/DAC.  

I could again hear and appreciate the improvement in SQ when I added ZBIT to that setup.  

Last month I purchased the Pontus II and realized a noticeable gain in SQ over the Ares, but the improvement was more subtle. I don't mean that as a criticism of the Pontus. I prefer Pontus over Ares. I initially thought I would sell the Ares II, but I installed it in a downstairs system and now could not part with it.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/08/22 at 22:25:49

Thank you gentlemen. Very relevant input from diverse angles of perspective, which is the best and most useful kind.

It sounds as though the ZBIT adds meaningful soundness to the system "architecture." Soundness as in, a better approach, all things being equal, which they ususally are not.

Given that my system budget is more or less exhausted and I don't plan to run 20-foot cables, I will pass for the moment. Since I'll never order anything again from DW that takes longer than (or maybe even close to) a full year to reach me, that may well be forever!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/09/22 at 00:23:39

Just to follow through more with the thread discussion... Improvements from changing to a ZBit and balanced outs from my modified Gustard were pretty notable as I recall. My "ZBIT" is not stock, so I should add this qualifier. I made it with extra resolving RCAs, and no connectors at all on the balanced in, the cables from DAC soldered direct to the transformers. Also I used a really nice volume pot, extra resolving wires, careful damping..... So it is especially transparent and resolving. But I think my descriptions of what I hear sound quite similar to descriptions of what folks seem to hear with stock ZBITs, so I hope this helps.

I think three basic things are happening that have been pointed to. For my Gustard, voltage out RCA is 3 volts, and it sounds really good here just like that. I happily used it this way for quite a while, loving the sound for the most part. But balanced outputs from the Gustard are 6 volts, and that jump from 3-6 volts via the ZBIT transformers "signal filtering" was a notable shift.

The ZBIT is not really a gain stage like the CSP3. It does not put out more voltage than the DAC supplies. But it lets us use the higher voltage balanced DAC circuit, and is variable downward with the pot. I prefer mine usually around 2-4 o'clock. I don't know what voltage this ends up being, but it is less than 6 and more than the RCA 3. I just like the sound better dialed back some than with the ZBIT full open here. Full-on is impressive in my system, but it just makes everything a little much for me.

Here, with Decware gear, starting with more voltage into whatever is next, it sounds like there are more dynamics, space, lucidity, density and resolution. These are things you can tune with your coming CSP3, and somewhere in its voltage and tube settings, it just sounds best for balancing a system/room, while also "conditioning" the sound with the CSP3 tubes and other design beauty. The CSP3 being a pretty intense gain stage, going way up in voltage if wanted, and having a number of adjustments with tubes and pots, it offers loads of tuning possibilities. So really a different thing, but the voltage hit is a big part of it, and you get potential to raise voltage with the ZBIT also via the higher balanced out of the DAC.

And not least... those high bandwidth transformers in a ZBIT have some sound, but it is pretty transparent to me, while adding pretty notable voltage tuning qualities. So I subtly hear the "addition" here when listening for it as "an addition," but it is subtle with mine. More of what I hear is how the ZBIT enhances the sound, the transformers "conditioning" the signal in beneficial ways, while giving flexibility in how much of those qualities I want by tuning the gain reduction pot.  

So functionally, for sonic adjustments, the ZBIT, acts on the signal similarly, but more simply than the CSP3, having less voltage range and a very simple path. To me it offers pretty transparent and quite useful voltage tuning enhancements.

That said, I rarely run just the ZBIT to amp, usually having a CSP3, or ZRock, or both in as well. I find they all have sonic tuning variations based on their designs, each having its own flavor of pretty clean voltage adjustment. So tuning to tastes offers more or less of whatever each specifically focuses on... giving interesting variations in higher and lower end articulation, dynamics, spatial and harmonic revelation and complexity, density....

And tuning for each of their voltages and tubes to sound best together can be quite illuminating. For each, there will likely be a "sweet spot" area in a given system/tube setup. Then, once found, individually and collectively, the overall system sound can be more complete, flexible and seductive. But there is more. I am also always "gain riding" from this baseline a little to optimize recordings to this system/room. Some recordings, already pretty lively and clean, often benefit from more voltage, but need less "enhancement" overall. While duller, leaner, less dynamic or clean (etc) recordings benefit from more ZBIT or other pre stage "gain."

So to me, with more than one adjustable and transparently setup pre stage between DAC and amp, when all is right, each of their particular traits can be integrated to tastes, offering flexibility and complexity. But also these basic voltage gain qualities add up, and adding gain in more than one place, "gain balancing" becomes more of a thing. So I end up running one or more of the "gains" lower, and in combination, making similar voltage enhancements as compared to just one pre stage with the gain higher, and working with the amp on its own.

To "solve" "transparency" ideas that more is less in audio, to me the thing is to start with all things in the system as fast, transparent and resolving as is possible while remaining musically realistic. Then adding complimentary resolving things can contribute qualities that make the music more complete and beautiful..... For me this includes most importantly room balancing and front end, but all components, speakers, power treatments, all cables, vibration mitigation tuning, tubes, etc, etc. Then, adding good things that fit with the system resolution and speed, I hear the enhancements and rarely take much notice of degradations that may be there to some degrees, but are "under the radar" compared to enhancements.

I also use a modified Singxer SU-1 USB interface with the Gustard, converting USB to I2S. This was a notable improvement here also, mainly subtler things, but wide coverage on them. The obvious differences were less with this as I recall, and I am assuming this was in part due to my DAC, tuned up Mac Mini, and digital cables being pretty good at USB anyway. But the Singxer helped enough to want to keep it for me, giving less smearing and more refinement in space, resolution, harmonic complexity, smoothness, density.... not at all small considerations in the big picture. So again, an addition improving things, not degrading them.

I like it simpler too though. In recent weeks, gradually fine tuning a ZRock2, I am running my NOS USB/RCA DAC, the ZRock as the only pre stage, and the Torii. Another qualifier, in my ZRock (and most everything else really) I have gradually changed lots in the power and signal path, making speed more complex and complete, and increasing transparency and resolution, etc, by using carefully chosen and tested parts and wires... And my ICs are made similarly... notably transparent, fast, smooth, resolving... So with my ZRock the bypass switch is a pretty accurate bypass.

This is especially useful when tuning the ZRock since my reference is my amp sound by itself, and in ZRock bypass mode, it sounds very close to as if the amp were connected directly with the DAC using really good cables. And lately I love the sound in ZRock bypass mode, with no pre effects between DAC and amp. But I love the sound with the ZRock as I have it tuned in live mode even more... and I don't use it so much for bass enhancement, more for general enhancement. Also I have run the Singxer, Gustard, ZBIT, ZRock, CSP3, Torii for extended periods and loved that once all was tuned together...

Some more thoughts anyway.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/09/22 at 00:36:36

Thanks Will. I have a ZROCK on order too, which should give me a fair amount to play with!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/09/22 at 00:45:50

I feel you Burgermeester.... lots of new stuff coming, and too long a wait for Decware to be easy to make conceptual choices without the system up. It does seem you will have plenty to play with and learn! Fun coming!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 07/09/22 at 01:12:38

The thing is you can always get the ZBIT later. I'm pretty sure the turnaround time is a lot faster than for tube gear.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/09/22 at 03:47:20

Yep, one would certainly think that a separate, faster production line for non-amp electronics would make sense, given the lower parts count and assembly complexity.

I wonder if the turnaround really is faster, though. Well, something else to track on the list...

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 07/09/22 at 03:55:23

Will,

I think I would like to link to this post of yours when I make the new web page for the ZBIT. For those who are interested in the deep explanation of what a ZBIT is sonically. Also it would give new to Decware people a glimpse into the real essence of Decware equipment. I can tell you after talking to many on the phone over the years that a lot have no idea such a world even exists. So it would be fun to give them this little window into that dimension.

Another great diatribe on component stacking. Well spoken and completely accurate. It is somewhat unique to Decware and similar manufactures because of the transparency of the gear. I like to make the analogy that each component is like a 1/2 inch of water in a coffee cup. A single component could be fairly dirty and cloudy and not be really noticed. You still see the bottom of the cup just fine. Add a second component with that same transparency score and now you can see that the water in the cup is getting cloudy.  The bottom is less focused/defined.  But if the water/component is crystal clear you can fill the cup to the top and still see the bottom.  The only thing that changes is the magnification which increases as you stack.  Each component magnifies different aspects of the whole.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/09/22 at 16:09:03

Hey Steve,

I am glad you find that post useful. Thanks. And yes, if you end up wanting to use a link to it on a webpage, go for it.

I agree, the essence of this world you have created/facilitated can be quite illuminating, especially when we dig in... a life-enhancing love of mine for sure!

I really like your analogy about stacking components also.

Will

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/10/22 at 04:50:12

"The Gain and How to Swing It"

IP Logged
Ahb3u
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 07/18/22 at 22:45:47

Could anyone try to clarify which part of the sound might be magnified by the addition of a zrock2 vs a csp vs strapping another se84 ufo25.  I have a 6 volt fully balanced dac output through a zbit to a se84ufo25 to caintuck lii15. The sound is great but I am looking for a bit more grip on the lower end of the drivers?  @lon and @will seem to have a lot of experience with this stuff!

Andy

EtherRegen/AfterDark Double Emperor clock> Innuos Zenith SE> Phoenix USB reclocker>Modwright Oppo205 and TD125>VosneRomanee>SE84ufo25> Caintuck Magnum Lii F15, Rel S510, Townshend Supertweeters and vibration control; Sound Application SA-XE Line power conditioner
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 07/19/22 at 00:10:07

The ZRock2 is unusual for Decware pre stages, working for enhanced signal as well as adjustability for bass. I found that tubes can really matter with everything, but especially with a tighter grip on an amped up bass setting. You can run it way up on the dial and the bass quantity increases notably while the rest stays about the same with one setting. And with the other setting, the treble gets cut some too as bass goes up. I have little experience with this preferring mine near unity gain. Not far into being "activated" with mine, this makes most everything musical a little more present in the sound, not just bass. So I guess this is a specific need design in some ways, and a more general tube stage enhancer in others.

If you get one, and the 12AU7 does not quite get the bass to clarify to your satisfaction (it didn't for me with a stock ZROCK2) then some nice 12AT7s can, though it can be intense depending on all else. I would say this tube pushes the sonic limits of the stock ZRock2 and could be too much depending on system/room and tube used. Whereas 7062s, phillips E80CCs, E180CC, JG-6829 to name a few can be nicely in between 12AU7 and 12AT7. Anyway, with this interesting piece of gear, with settings and even with just one tube spot, you can get loads of variations of sound.

However, with my fully modified ZROCK2, all these tubes I have sound good, but I prefer the milder 12AU7s. Increase speed/flow and signal clarity with bypassing, connectors, wires, etc, and I need less tube power to get more results.

With the CSP3's 3 tubes you can dial it in with many more combinations of choices, which can be nice for fine tuning and for contributing to certain areas of the sound more specifically. Having the baseline enhancements of the cool high voltage OTL circuit, caps, etc, is pretty special to me, also more inputs, while also having a good headphone amp.

The CSP3 to me adds its clarifying qualities throughout, and again, it is a lot tubes as to how they tighten or relax bass qualities with more gain. In this case you have more tubes to tune with, good or bad depending on the person, but I like it.

You won't get any more power from either, the max voltage of the SE84 before distorting happening lower on its gain knob with more voltage coming in from the CSP3. But more CSP3 voltage will effect sonic qualities with more resolution, density, dynamics, lucid space, etc, so it can seem more powerful.

I have no experience with two 84s together, but suspect you are on a good track... more power might well activate the F-15s with more bass grip???

I would try to get the A modifications if possible... I guess just bypassing the power supply and added "VR" tube filters increase resolution, speed and lucidity more than many "better" tubes can. And then better tubes can do more!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #16 - 07/19/22 at 00:45:31

Quote:
Posted by: Ahb3u      Posted on: Yesterday at 22:45:47
Could anyone try to clarify which part of the sound might be magnified by the addition of a zrock2 vs a csp vs strapping another se84 ufo25...

(I feel like I might have had this discussion with you once before )

I can't speak to a zrock or csp but I have 2 UFOs configured as balanced mono blocks and they are fantastic. My whole signal path is fully balanced, Denafrips Terminator2 -> Woo Audio WA22 -> UFOs -> Omegas SAMs, so it is hard to compare to anything else but I can tell you that dynamics and bass (for a 40 Hz single driver speaker in a smallish room) are be very impressive. No one will confuse it for a Who concert, but I don't feel like need any reinforcement from a subwoofer, zrock or what have you. Better than the 100 watt Pass Aleph 2s that I had for many years before I went Decware. It is so good I got back on the waiting list for a pair of UFO25s.

Now, early on I did spend some time with the RCA out from my DAC straight into the UFOs strapped as "conventional" monos and was not as impressive, but I didn't have a tube preamp in the chain, or as nice interconnects and I don't think the RCA output from a fully balanced DAC is as good as the balanced. So nothing like an apples to apples comparison.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 07/19/22 at 04:35:22

Ahb3u
"I am looking for a bit more grip on the lower end of the drivers?"

Perhaps a wrench in your works, but I wonder if a Decware sized baffle instead of the Caintuck size might be an answer, instead of using an electronic solution.
Others who know more may find that my idea is all wrong.

Brian

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/19/22 at 11:32:20

Have you rolled any tubes? Try putting a pair of OB3 VR in the back positions.

The input tube and front VR tube are worth exploring too.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 07/19/22 at 11:43:09

Or possibly try an OD3. These give a tight, extended, punchy bass in my Monoblocks.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 07/19/22 at 13:22:49

Has anyone tried OD3 in the back position on the UFO25TH? I tried them and they buzzed like crazy. In the Torii MKIV the same OD3 tubes were fine.

I don't know if it was the specific tubes or the UFO25TH doesn't play nice with them. Besides the buzz—bass was taut.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 07/19/22 at 14:07:19

I have SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with 25th Anniversary mods and about a dozen different pairs of 0D3 or 0D3W tubes and none buzz. . . .

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 07/19/22 at 16:11:24

Yes, with the Torii IV and III, if the room/system/amp/tube compliment, etc, are over saturating the bass, though more of it, it can sound thick, soft and recessed with OA3s. Tone that power down with a little with an OB3, and more so with an OC3, and more yet with an OD3, progressively the signal becomes less full and bassy. In this situation, reducing bass thickness/muddle, the bass can feel and sound tighter/faster, and stronger, though it is actually weaker in the balance. Meanwhile, as the mids and highs open progressively, getting clearer and more complex, they can become more present in the balance from being less overwhelmed by bass, as well as being more open/spacious. If needed, this can allow more complex articulation, harmonic nuance and spacial information throughout. So a range of VRs can be a nice tool. Does it work about like this with the UFOs and monos?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 07/19/22 at 16:31:40

It works that way with the Monoblocks.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #24 - 07/19/22 at 18:18:07

Hey Will,

Thanks for describing the potential change in bass by rolling different 0_3 tubes.  I have been considering experimenting with alternatives to the current 0A3s in my Torii IV but was not sure what to expect.  Since the bass is, to my ear, a little too much (thick is a good word for it), I am more curious to give 0B3 or 0C3 a try.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/19/22 at 20:22:38

Hey Tony,

If you look around, you can often find pretty inexpensive VRs, both O_3, and O_2 types. Though interrelated sound wise with the Torii III and IV, I think of the big VRs as effecting the push of the power tubes, and the little ones, the input tubes. I like adjusting both on first impressions, but personally tend to use the big ones more, really liking 75C1s for the inputs. Compared to OC2, they are a Euro equivalent, but I find these generally more resolving of complex information, and nicely warm, warmth that is not just a little darker, but also finely detailed .. so having good complexity and textures.

In my system I find changing OC2 to OB2, or OA2, or the Tesla 11TA31 (OA2=) exciting at first, but end up finding these changes a little lean and lacking in dynamics here, at least the way I have things tuned. However, since it is all how we mix and match all the tubes toward creating total sound balances, how we adjust VRs into the complex is effected by the rest, not dissimilar to how changing inputs, power tubes, and rectifiers change the whole.

That said, it sounds like using VRs could be a good area to explore relative to your described system/room baseline needs. Just changing one or the other down a notch would be an interesting experiment, or notch each back a little if it feels like a good direction... Or if the small VR change does not suit you in other ways besides opening it up, try an OB3 1st, and then an OC3 for more opening if needed.

And by the way, as usual, VRs of the same types all sound different, some more than others, but often noticeable enough to be a choice in a resolving setup (if you ever what to get deeper into VRs).

Along these lines, the Tesla, OA2s and equivalents, are the mildest for the stock OC2 position, and this tube has a notable voltage shift on the inputs, but is nicely warm similarly to 75C1s, including not sacrificing fine detail. And with this "real warmth," the Teslas can appear to sound more powerful than some other OA2s, but still do that opening thing. Is this sense of power real though... for me they end up causing a reduction in dynamics similarly to other OA2s, but I always like the tone here. I wonder though if dynamics would be an issue for me if I could handle using OA3s along with them, or if I used more powerful and fast rectifiers, or maybe some 6SN7s for inputs rather than ECC189.... these might balance the Tesla some... the idea ... more oomph from one position can be balanced to various degrees with less in another, or visa versa.

In my amp I am using an OB3 and 75C1, but I have been working to better resolve bass in other ways.... and... my system, preferences, etc.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print