Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:06:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dac recommendations please (Read 8058 times)
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Dac recommendations please
07/04/22 at 18:02:21

Im currently looking at Dacs and was wondering what you guys are using, if anything.
The Primaluna Evo 100 gets phenomenal reviews but not much customer feedback. Anyone here have any experience with this model?
Any benefits using a tube dac versus a solid state?
Thanks in advance

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Dac recommendations please
Reply #1 - 07/04/22 at 18:08:15

I'm a huge fan of Denafrips DAC's. My Ares II is phenomenal.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 07/04/22 at 18:39:36

What Donnie says. How much are you looking to spend? Any Denafrips would be a great choice at it's price point.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/04/22 at 18:44:07

Love my Denafrips Ares II as well though thinking of moving up to the Pontus II eventually.  I hear that’s the sweet spot of the Denafrips line.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/04/22 at 18:47:12

Thanks for the replies guys. The Denafrips has come up quite often in the forums as a good candidate. Would like to keep it below $3500.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #5 - 07/04/22 at 18:48:24

Any spot is the sweet spot on the Denafrips line IMO. I went back and forth and finally decided on the Terminator 2 and I'm happy I did. I later added a Gaia DDC and it is a nice upgrade as well.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/04/22 at 18:51:20

Also, I have some brightness on the high end which I was hoping the dac I choose could address. I have Zu Soul Supreme speakers which can accentuate the problem. Going to try Mullard imput and output tubes, replacing the Electro Harmonix el34’s.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/04/22 at 18:52:23

What is a Gaia ddc CAJames?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 07/04/22 at 18:58:48

Short answer is:

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/product-page/denafrips-gaia?currency=USD

Longer answer is it is a "digital to digital converter." It takes your digital input on USB, AES/EBU, coax etc, re-clocks it with a magical high precision clock and (if you have a Denafrips or a few other lucky DACs) outputs it on I2S over HDMI. That's a lot of capital letters but basically it cleans up the digital signal and outputs to the DAC in the best way possible for optimal conversion.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/04/22 at 19:03:04

Thanks. I did see a digital to digital converter as I was on the Denafrips site. Great info CAJames!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #10 - 07/04/22 at 19:08:08

FWIW one of reasons I spent the extra $$$ for a Terminator 2 is that it allows you to sync the DAC clock with the DDC clock, which is another optimization.

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #11 - 07/04/22 at 21:45:20

I have a Pontus2. Quite an upgrade over my Gumby. For 3k I would look hard at the Holo Spring3.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/04/22 at 22:44:04

Have to agree with Joey on the Spring 3!

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/04/22 at 23:20:38

Going to check out the HoloSPring3 right now.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/05/22 at 00:24:42

I dont think you can go wrong with either Denafrips or Holo May.  For customer service and response, Alvin from Denafrips is head and shoulders above Holo May Kitsune.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #15 - 07/05/22 at 01:00:12

That may be true. Alvin was top notch as far as communication and follow up. I believe Alvin is head and shoulders over just about anybody else.

As for product at the 3-4k range, it comes down to Venus or Spring3. The reviews and specs seem to favor the Holo.YMMV of course.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/05/22 at 01:40:04

I was pretty focused on the Pontus ii and thought it might be the one to go with. But, the Holo Spring 3 level 2 looks pretty sweet. I know I can’t go wrong with either but am trying to read a review that may mention making the system less bright. I think the Pontus is warmer, which to my novice brain thinks less bright. The Spring 3 seems to have greater clarity on the high end. Does greater clarity mean less bright?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #17 - 07/05/22 at 02:03:35

Honestly I don't think either of them is going to help you much with "bright" unless your current digital front end is bright. The Denafrips house sound is pretty much neutral and transparent, and that is my impression of Holo as well, although it might be a little bit darker based on the reviews I've seen.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/05/22 at 02:45:04

CAJames. Would a tube change address brightness? I’ve read that the Mullards have less “sparkle” or “chiminess” at the high end.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #19 - 07/05/22 at 03:00:38

Quote:
Posted by: Earthbound      Posted on: Today at 02:45:04
...Would a tube change address brightness? I’ve read that the Mullards have less “sparkle” or “chiminess” at the high end.

If you’re talking about NOS Mullard IMO yes, in general. Mullard (and most UK tubes) tends to be at the warm/lush end of the sonic spectrum. But if you are talking specifically about in a Decware amp there is is always a synergy between the input, power and rectifier tubes so changing one tube may not give you what you are looking for until you change something else.

IP Logged
Audionumber3
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 07/05/22 at 03:06:19

I have a Pontus 2, and it's fantastic. The British Audiophile compared the pontus 2 to the Spring 3 KTE and he claimed that they were very close in sound, but that the spring 3 had a more neutral sound, and the pontus had a richer/warmer sound. That review pushed me to try out the pontus, as I was saving up for spring 3... But I'm already coming from an Auralic DAC that's very neutral, and I kept wishing it was a little warmer.

The pontus was cheaper so, I thought it was the smarter choice to try first. I can't imagine anyone not being happy with this sound, it's really good. I have a se84UFO driving Omega super 8xrs.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/05/22 at 04:16:00

Earthbound

What is your source component for the dac, which dac inputs will you be using?

Quite a few reviews out there on denafrips vs holo, just do a search.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 07/05/22 at 09:58:29

If you're not afraid of used gear the PSAudio directstream DAC is a bargain. There seems to be a few on audiogon that could  probably be had for under  the mid two thousand dollar mark.  This is a six thousand dollar DAC that the software was updated about a year and a half ago..  This DAC is in the same class as the Lampizator Baltic. Or the Denifrips Terminator..  You can ever tweak it further with a transformer update and being used you don't have to worry about voiding the warranty
I just got one and it sounds very real.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/05/22 at 14:30:43

CAJames- I will have the MKV, csp3 with zrock sometime next year. Currently, I bought a Synthesis Roma to hold me over. Purchased it on the owners, 35 years in the business, recommendations. My first tube amp so everything is new to me.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 07/05/22 at 14:35:43

Thanks for sharing Aidionumber3. I’ve read excellent reviews about both models. Right now the Pontus is the same price as the Spring 3 Level 2. What amp/pre amp are you running the dac through?

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/05/22 at 14:41:45

Johnnycopy- The digital signal will be coming through a Cambridge cxn v2 then into an integrated Synthesis amp for the time being. My Decware gear will be done sometime next year and the adventure starts all over again! Honestly the dac choice would be the same. Just trying to get the best sound for the money like most people. It’s hard to choose when I’m not sure what I really like and even that changes when each new component is added. I just have to remember that this is a hobby and it’s supposed to be fun.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 07/05/22 at 14:43:23

Thanks Dana 😀. Another avenue I will explore today.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 07/05/22 at 16:43:01

Earth, before you pull the trigger on anything, you might want to take a look at the Modwright modded version of Cambridge CXN v2.

Some Decware owners on this forum have praised this DAC.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Audionumber3
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 07/05/22 at 16:57:25

Earthbound.....like I said, I'm using a Decware se84UFO, no preamp. The best part about getting the pontus is if you don't like it, you can sell it for almost new price.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/05/22 at 17:03:05

+1 what Tommy Freedall said about the ModWright CXN V2 modifcation. Dan Wright @ ModWright is running a 20% off sale on the mod now. Sounds great and saves you shelf space you'll need for a separate DAC.

Add a Qobuz & Roon subscription and you'll be there.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 07/05/22 at 17:07:01

Good to know Audionumber3 regarding resale. I want to avoid such a scenario but if it comes to that, it’s a nice option. Keep hearing warm regarding the Pontus and that may help my ears a bit. Coming from an old Rotel and B&W set up, this new equipment is so revealing. It may be that I’m listening to music much longer and louder then prior. But, softer may be easier on the ears in the fatigue department.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 07/05/22 at 17:08:31

Thanks Hockessinkid. Will check that out now. Would be nice to eliminate an external dac.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 07/05/22 at 18:25:25

Very interesting regarding the ModWright. I spoke with Dan, the owner, and he was very informative. Seems like a potentially viable option. Going to see what users have to say.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 07/05/22 at 19:03:00

Earth, do a Decware forum search on this. IIRC, there was a detailed thread that discussed this component in greater detail

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/05/22 at 19:16:54

Thanks Tommy. Found it and am reading now.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #35 - 07/05/22 at 19:24:17

Quote:
Posted by: Earthbound      Posted on: Today at 14:30:43
...I will have the MKV, csp3 with zrock sometime next year.

Here is one more thing to think about. Pretty much all the DACs you are looking at are "fully balanced" meaning they output 4 channels of audio on the XLR connectors, but only 2 of those if you use the RCA output. I'm not going to say you're crazy to use the RCA output, but if you don't have a plan to use the XLR output (like a ZBIT) you aren't getting all the performance from your DAC that you are paying for.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 07/05/22 at 20:52:53

I was wondering that very thing! I believe I can ask Steve to put xlr’s in the preamp. Does anyone know if this is correct? I think I recall that possibility when I spoke with Steve

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 07/05/22 at 20:59:45

Steve doesn't offer XLR inputs as an option when ordering the CSP3. It's possible perhaps, I can really only imagine it if you were to forego the headphone capability of the amp. It's something to check with Steve about. My guess is that the cost may be very similar to a ZBIT which may be a more flexible choice.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #38 - 07/05/22 at 22:00:37

My impression is same as Lon FWIW. And in fact just a couple weeks ago I had a discussion with another poster who originally got XLR inputs on his amp but now wants to add a CSP3 and it is a problem because it doesn't work with his balanced source. Which is just another way of saying I think you are better off with a ZBIT than with XLR connections built into a component.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 07/05/22 at 22:07:07

Earthbound,

All good information here. Should you be leaning toward the ModWright CXN V2 mod note that the modifications include upgraded RCA outputs. I believe Dan has A-B'd the stock XLR's with the upgraded RCA's extensively. I suggest a chat with Dan to gain some insights as it pertains to your system.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 07/05/22 at 22:28:15

Thanks guys. Will talk to Dan and probably add another order to my ever growing Decware order! Good fun

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #41 - 07/06/22 at 00:47:46

I third what Tommy and HK said about the modded CXN. Thanks to HK, I have one too, and like it very much! I think that it would be awfully hard to beat in that price range.

Good luck,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 07/06/22 at 01:27:15

Damn it HK, looks like that 20% off CXNv2 mod was over July 1st!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 07/06/22 at 01:34:21

They were kind enough to extend the offer to me today. I’m sure they would do the same for you.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 07/06/22 at 10:02:23

JBzen,

Give Dan a call and see if he'll extend you a courtesy. He's a great guy and just may give you the discount.

HK

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 07/06/22 at 13:13:24

Thanks for the encouragement HK and Earthbound. I will give Dan a call today. Anyone try the Cryotone tubes in the mod yet?

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 07/06/22 at 14:11:42

Yup, a pair of these and you'll be in sonic nirvana.

https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p4/ECC83-WC.html

HK

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print