Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:56:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adding a second input vs preamp (Read 723 times)
Sean
Seasoned Member

Adding a second input vs preamp
06/30/22 at 19:53:59

My brain leads me down rabbit holes and I sometime can’t find my way out.

Here’s the gear I have:

SE84C-EX
Jolida JD9
Mofi StudioDeck
Schiit Bifrost

The SE84C-EX has a single input and for awhile that’s really all I needed. Now that I have this Schiit, I’d like to use it as well. This currently involves shutting things down, unplugging either the Mofi or Schiit and switching them. It’s a pain. I have a Bellari passive pre that has four inputs it flattens the sound and is worthless.

The rabbit hole consists of adding a preamp that doesn’t negatively influence anything. I really like the sound of the SE84C-EX with either the Jolida or DAC going directly into it. Should I contact Decware on options of adding an input? Perhaps someone has crossed that bridge already? The wait list is not for me, I’m too impatient for that. Just being honest with myself. I keep my eyes open for a newer UFO, but that’s a crapshoot. Perhaps someone knows of a good preamp with multiple inputs with a neutral or pass through type sound?

I’d love to hear any opinions or suggestions. Thanks!

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Adding a second input vs preamp
Reply #1 - 06/30/22 at 20:09:23

Sounds like you want one of these:

https://www.decwareproducts.com/zsb

and my understanding is passive components get built a lot faster than tube gear, which goes to the back of the wait list.

Preamps are a whole 'nother kettle of fish. For me personally I wouldn't want to be without one and there are a lot of good ones out there, depending on how much you want to pay. If you like Schiit, perhaps one of there's would be a good choice?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Re: Adding a second input vs preamp
Reply #2 - 06/30/22 at 21:21:14

Thanks James! I forgot all about the ZSB.After seeing the four tonearm pic, if it’s good enough to do that with degradation or altering the signal the. I think I have new OCD item!

I’ve only been tinkering with audio about the last ten years after a 20 yr hiatus. I’ve always tried to limit the amount of gear in the chain. That said, I never ventured into the preamp area, just phono pre’s.  

The Schiit is on loan to me so I can kick the tires on digital. Other than my switching issues, it’s been fine. I’m not head over heels about it, but I also “just hooked it up” with what I had sitting around. I need to try some different cables and see what happens.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print