Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP325 vs. modded CSP3 (Read 912 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

CSP325 vs. modded CSP3
06/19/22 at 10:25:52

Comparison question...

A CSP325 and a fully-modded CSP3 are about the same, price-wise.

I'm curious as to the reason for removing the headphone section in the CSP325. What was the payoff for that design move? Why would I prefer the 325 when I apparently get a "free" headphone amp with the modded CSP3?

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP325 vs. modded CSP3
Reply #1 - 06/24/22 at 17:06:02

Hey Burger

Missed your question a few days ago, but here’s my experience.

I started with a an old style CSP3 with full 25th Anniversary treatment……one of the very first ones to get the upgrade….you know, before the pretty green version was available.  I liked it just fine, but felt there was too much much going on in the signal path.  As time passed, and realizing that the headphone jacks were never being used, I began thinking about possible changes.  I have a dedicated listening room with speakers that I love, and that play really well at all volume levels…..why would I unnecessarily clutter the signal path with unused switches, jacks, and wire.

So after talking it over with Steve, I sent in my CSP3 to have the headphone jacks, the two input level controls the single volume pot, and all that extra wiring, removed.  In addition, two front input jacks and new left and right volume controls were installed.  The new input jacks are wired directly to the volume pots, which just might make my CSP3 THE one with the shortest signal path of all.

Though I will likely never be able to do a side by side comparison with an old style CSP3 with 25th A-mods, I am quite sure that the final outcome of these modifications is a cleaner, faster, more highly resolving preamp. I consider the CSP3 to be a critical voicing and sound quality control tool, and I can’t imagine being without it.  

That’s my view of why a CSP3 without headphone jacks may be a better option for some.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP325 vs. modded CSP3
Reply #2 - 06/26/22 at 11:21:39

Hey Doug, many thanks for your comment. I can now see why removing the headphone section on the 325 was consistent with Steve's anniversary concept...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print