Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 13:54:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP3 Anniversary Mod Update (Read 1310 times)
LiquidBlue

CSP3 Anniversary Mod Update
06/17/22 at 19:25:28

I recently sent my CSP3 in for the full Anniversary upgrade to include the bypass caps and tube regulation. When I got it back, I decided to take a look under the hood to check out the work. I was a little surprised at what I found.

It didn’t look the same as the photos I’d seen previously of the anniversary upgrades. There seemed to be fewer caps/bypass caps. The cap values looked different, as well. I wasn’t sure… Was this an error? A design change? Perhaps redesign due to supply chain issues or cost cutting with inflation? I didn’t consider it anything nefarious, but with current issues, there may be business needs to consider to keep things flowing. I just wanted to make sure it was done right and was upgraded to give the best possible sound it could provide, short of any tube choices I made. So, I emailed Steve. This is his response.

"Those photos I posted were with beeswax caps which have sense been discontinued. We now use Miflex copper foil caps which changed how we voiced the mod.  Also recently a discovery revolving around the SG5B regulator tube internally installed showed better sound using it in series with the plate vs. with caps on it, so those were removed.  This was discovered during the development of the 300B amp."

I thought it may be useful to pass this information along, so others don’t have the same concerns. I will say, there is a definite improvement with the sound. I’ve had it a month and put in over 100 hours and I’m amazed by the resolution, dynamics and improvement in soundstage, especially depth. Definitely happy with the results of the upgrade! This is with my current solid state Schiit Aegir, that is in place until my SE84UFO25 gets built. I can only imagine how everything is going to sound once I have that in place!

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP3 Anniversary Mod Update
Reply #1 - 06/17/22 at 19:53:25

Super, congrats!  How much did the mods cost?

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #2 - 06/17/22 at 20:31:31

The total Anniversary Mod cost was $1175, but I also switched out the Jupiter beeswax caps to the Miflex copper foil caps, before adding the bypass caps and tube regulation. If you already have the copper foil caps, the bypass cap upgrade and tube regulation will be a bit less. You'd want to check with Sarah for the cost to have your amp upgraded depending on what is needed.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #3 - 06/17/22 at 20:34:14

By the way, the tube regulation isn't necessary for the anniversary upgrades, but I wanted to get it up to the level of my incoming amp. You can save a little there as well, depending on if you wanted it or not.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/17/22 at 20:36:47

Cool, thanks.  I just have the stock CSP3 and have no idea what's inside.

Am I correct that sending a unit in for mods doesn't require going to the back of the waitlist?  How long did your mods take?

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #5 - 06/17/22 at 20:56:22

No, you do not go back on the waiting list for repairs/upgrades. The repair time was about 2 weeks, plus shipping time. It could vary, depending on how many units they have in for work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print