03/28/24 at 23:10:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UFO2.1 and XLR (Read 1479 times)
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

UFO2.1 and XLR
06/08/22 at 20:48:40

I have been enjoying my UFO immensely since landing 10/23/21. So much so I put in an order for the CSP3 late November 2021 (to get in line) as I have not worked out all details. I have the XLR option for my Zen and it is being driven by my PS Audio GCDac and sounds very good to me. I have routed RCA from Dac to Zen and though it sounds fine, just less volume for same output levels, and not quite as good as the XLR. It also may be due to only one RCA out on GCD so lose my powered sub out (can't do both). Likely the main sound drop, no sub.
Does anyone here have the UFO2 with XLR and how are you using it to full advantage. It seems with the CSP3 in chain I lose the XLR benefit?
I have some time to ponder, so I'm pondering.....

Bilyeaux

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: UFO2.1 and XLR
Reply #1 - 06/08/22 at 23:09:43

You've got some choices to make ...

Let's start with your DAC. No surprise it sounds better from the XLR outputs because it is fully balanced. That means it outputs 4 channels: L+, L-, R+ and R-. You get all 4 on the XLRs but only the + half on the RCA. So if you use that RCA output you're really only getting half the DAC you paid for.

If you stick with the CSP3 it means you get the (not optimal) RCA output from your DAC and don't take advantage of the XLR inputs that you spent good money for when you got the 2.1. That seems like one or more steps backward on more than one level.

Maybe the simplest thing (besides just punting the whole preamp idea) would be to change your order from the CSP3 to ZTPRE so you can go balanced from the DAC through the preamp to the amp. I guess another option would be to get a ZBIT to convert the balanced output of the DAC to single end for the CSP3, and then go RCA to the 2.1. But then you just bought your XLR inputs all over again.

FWIW when I was in your position instead of getting a UFO2 with XLRs I bought 2 UFOs and got XLR -> 2 x RCA custom interconnects to make them balanced mono blocks. .

Hope this helps.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Re: UFO2.1 XLR
Reply #2 - 06/09/22 at 12:23:18

Thanks James, I read late yesterday someone using a Woo Audio headphone amp as pre with XLR output, think it was you? Maybe one like it (tube pre with XLR) may be better fit for me at this point. It is 2700 so more costly than the CSP3. The ZTPRE is even moreso……You reinforce what I was thinking and may change the order or cancel. Bilyeaux

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/11/22 at 14:50:40

So I will be keeping the XLR Connection and would like to get a nice set that would pair well with tubes. Anyone using a particular set? Under 500……..Think Steve may be working on some as well? My current is a base set from Underwood Hi Fi. Thanks

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 06/11/22 at 16:32:20

I've had good luck with DH Labs:

https://silversonic.com/products/interconnects/

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E