Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:42:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The case for Cryotone tubes (Read 1583 times)
Coyote
Seasoned Member

The case for Cryotone tubes
06/08/22 at 19:18:17

Hello everyone,

I know, I know there are a few other threads on this.
And I read most of them.

I would like this topic to be a bit different.

A (ONE tube) Cryotone 2A3 will set you back $500.00 vs a pair of Sophia 300b (2A3 replacement) will set you back $700 (TWO tube).

Can anyone make the case for the Cryotone?
Yes, yes I read all the marketing stuff on them but in my book the Sophia are pretty nice and would the difference in $ be better spent on other components?

Like for example, would the improvement with the Cryotone be lost with cheaper spkr cables? So better cables should be acquired before spending on the Cryotones?
(I am not thinking as a preference in tone, but a preference in quality).

I see all this as a balancing act of components and this is how I am trying to frame the question...

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re:  The case for Cryotone tubes
Reply #1 - 06/08/22 at 19:29:43

The case for any tube is that it sounds good. And several posters think they sound (really) good. And good sounding tubes make any system sound better.

Of course one always has to take cost into account and cryotone tubes are expensive, although hardly the most expensive current production tubes you can buy, to say nothing of heritage NOS. For me personally, I'm in no hurry to join the club, but I am watching with interest the experience of others who have taken the plunge. For me, nothing makes as big a difference as great tubes, but at the end of the day everyone has to make her or his own decision about how to allocate their budget for audio.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #2 - 06/08/22 at 23:07:42

Coyote asked:

Can anyone make the case for the Cryotone?

Hi Coyote,

That one tube for over $500 is not one that I shopped for. I would not go that high -- perhaps I should say at least, not at present.  My Torii MKIV takes 12 tubes total.  I replaced the inputs, outputs, and rectifiers with CryoTones averaging $125 per tube. That's still a lot, but I had no backups for the Torii when I ordered. Many of the non-CryoTubes on eBay were expensive, and I did not know how to gauge their risk. It was no small influence that Steve was promoting the value of the CryoTone tubes, so  I thought the risk was negligible.

So how do they sound?
Fantastic. Many others here have said that as well. I will see how well they hold up over time, but I am hoping (betting actually) that they will. I spend at least 3-hours a day listening and could not be happier with the sound.

One last point:  I did not buy all my tubes at once, but each month added a few. The person-to-person dialogues with Don at Wathen, on occasion, were constructive. Also, one of my new tubes proved to be defective. No problem, he replaced it immediately, along with its matched partner. Customer service was outstanding. Not saying that could not have happened with eBay, but the commitment to Decware buyers was evident.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/09/22 at 02:08:33

Hey Coyote,

I used a pair of Sophia Electric 2.5 volt 300B’s in my Cary 2A3SE mono blocks for a couple of years.  They excelled all other 2A3 tubes I used during a nearly 15 year period, including many highly regarded NOS 2A3 tubes, and several current production 2A3 tubes, including a pair of expensive and excellent sounding KR blue glass.  My experience was that the Sophia’s couldn’t be beat.  Those 2.5 volt 300B’s are very special.

On the other hand, I do very much like the three Cryotone 6SN7 tubes now being used in the input and driver positions on my Cary 300SEI amplifier, but again, those Sophia’s are sweet tubes.

Out of curiosity, what 2A3 amp(s) are you using?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/13/22 at 23:58:34

The best case is to try them. Keep them if you like, return if you don’t.

The longevity claims will be proven, or disproven over time.

With no hassle returns, Cryotone is certainly worth a try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print