Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Tots ! (Read 1614 times)
Billy Wonka
Verified Member

Tube Tots !
06/02/22 at 07:13:33

Questions:

1. Is Birds Eye the only available finish?

2. Can I be reassured that they have bass to 60hz or below?

I'm looking for a pair of smallish speakers to replace my Proac Tab 10s which have a satisfying bump and have an 11-ohm rating.  They are LS3/5a imitators only they go lower and are more robust.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube Tots !
Reply #1 - 06/02/22 at 17:25:47

"The Tube Tots will only be available in the figured burl wood / black finish.  There will never be options."

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1624510181/81#81

Thread w/ commentary from owners:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649611867

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 06/10/22 at 05:26:22

We are gearing up for another build of 30 pairs. Having only one finish is how the price of this model is kept so low as well as the timeline to get one which is so much shorter than if we hand made each one to order with a painfully long waiting list.

Speakers that we make one at a time like the DM945's for example can be custom made in any finish or hardwood for an additional up charge.

Our inventory on TOT's is down to just a few pair, so there will probably be a month or two where they are out of stock.  Everyone loves their Tube Tots!  I know I do : )

As with the first batch, we have each pair shipped directly to Decware and then unpack them, remove the drivers, install our crossovers, reassemble everything and test. If they pass, we we repack and put them into inventory.

Since we have a lot of different speakers and the majority are hand built one at a time to order with longer turn around times, I wanted a speaker that we could attempt to keep in inventory.  Also if you could only have one speaker with Decware amps, it would have to be something smaller to suit the most people.  I mean if I can live with it in a 17 x 27 x 15 space on just a few watts then the majority would also be able to.  It starts to become a realization that speakers don't have to be large to sound large, especially with high current tube gear, so if you can get to nirvana with something this tiny in a small or large space, why wouldn't you?  Each one is about the size of a bowling ball bag.

The first run of Tots was a testing of the waters between two companies on opposite sides of the world. It went very well and we have since discovered that we love the same things as pioneering audiophiles and like our friends at Lii Audio we find the world is a small place. Audiophiles make up less than 1% of the planet.  We are already working on another small face melter called the Decware T6 that will fall somewhere in the middle on production times, usually around 10 weeks.  

On the other front, we have partnered up with a full time wood working shop a few miles away from us that will be building many of our speakers and hardwood accessories including amplifier bases, Master Series speakers and even stands for the tube tots! This more than doubles our US speaker production and with small exotics like the Tube Tots or the coming stand mount T6 speakers taking some of the load off our production keeps the quality super high as always not to mention fun!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 06/10/22 at 05:44:58

Yes, you can be assured they have have substantial bass.  In direct comparison to the original LS35A they had more bass and it was more textured.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print