Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 06:17:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Member Introduction (Read 3643 times)
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

New Member Introduction
05/27/22 at 17:07:46

Hey guys. Been reading fervently for awhile now and would like to thank all of you for the knowledge you’ve shared on the forum. I’ve always enjoyed music and have had a “good” stereo, Rotel amp and pre amp, B&W speaker and a Velodyne sub, for 25 years. Then I heard my buddies Decware MK3 amp and Zu Soul Superflies a couple of years ago and it started me thinking!
Fast forward to today and I’ve placed several orders. Due to the long waiting period, I quickly ordered to get myself on the list which grows significantly every day. As a result, I’ve checked a few boxes that I’m not quite sure I needed to. So, I figured I’d ask people with experience and knowledge far beyond my own.
I first ordered the Zen Torii Jr and changed that to the MK5 after some research. I opted for the Level 2 mods.
Wanting headphone capability, I then ordered the CSP3. This is where I’m lost. I checked the 1/4 inch jacks, stereo and mono output jacks and copper bypass mod. Not sure about these choices. I’ve read about the copper upgrades but not sure if I need it and if I should add $200 and get the copper w/tube regulation.
I’m looking to add headphones that will pair well with this system but have no idea what to look for and what plug it will have on the end. Any suggestions as to where to start would be greatly appreciated.
Finally, the amp and pre amp will be paired with Zu Soul Supremes which have just been ordered. Decided I wanted the last of the old design and not the new design. The room is 19x15, tiled floor on cement and I will be able to pull place the speakers off walls and sit in front of them unobstructed. There is a couch to one side and a tv stand on the other. Also, any connector and speaker wire advice would also be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and I apologize if this post is too vague or “beginnerish”.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Re: New Member Introduction
Reply #1 - 05/27/22 at 18:07:07

I own Zu Druid Vs and used to run them with a Torii Mk IV and a CSP3, both with the Jupiter beeswax caps. My room is 14 ft wide and about 32 ft deep. I like the Druids about 5 ft from the back wall and 4 ft from the side walls. I sit at about 14 ft, and I toe in to hit a point at about 18 ft.

I tried a few different speaker cables and ended up getting a great deal on a pair of Zu Libtecs which, unsurprisingly, are a great match for the Druids. I had Zu reterminate them with Speakon connectors, which are easy and make a great connection on the speaker side.

Can't help with the upgrades to the CSP3 as I haven't heard them, but I have copper V-Caps in both my Atma-Sphere pieces and they were a major improvement. I preferred the sound with the Torii turned down pretty far and the output of the CSP3 mostly full blast. Everyone rides the gain a little differently around here; the flexibility of Decware gear in that area makes for a lot of fun.

I predict your system will sound great!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/27/22 at 18:19:45

Yeah I agree that Earthbound's system will sound fantastic.

For the CSP3 I recommend also adding the 25th-A mod [copper cap power supply bypass} for $600. Not sure of the tube VR for $200 more is nearly as critical. But the Cu cap signal caps at $275 + the Anniversary mod will put you on par with your Torii MK 5 with the level 2 Anniversary mods at $600. Believe me, you'll not need to look back.

I had the CSP325 [Anniversary Edition] and will say that its a light year better than the non-modded CSP3, or even just the Cu signal cap upgrade. Transparency, weight, definition -- all went way up the scale, and the power supply bypass mod IMO made the biggest difference and it ain't close to subtle. This was very apparent even with the Taboo MK 4-25th amp that I once had, which wasn't even designed for speakers first in mind.

Another note on the CSP3....I also recommend that one of the headphone jacks be ordered with one of the XLR jack options [3 or 4 pin]

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/28/22 at 00:26:05

Thanks armstdav and piezoman. Glad I did order the copper option. Also, thanks for the headphone advice. I haven’t used in many years and have no idea what ends are used now a day’s.
Cool to know regarding the room armstdav. I know Zu has a unique sound and it’s always good to hear someone owned and enjoyed them.
I haven’t looked at the speaker connections yet but know Zu offers the plug in with the speaker. Not sure what is on the other end and if that’s what I’ll have on the Decware. Not even sure that will improve the sound. More research!
Thanks again guys. Appreciate your time and advice.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/28/22 at 00:46:05

Welcome!  if you can swing a ZRock2, go for it.  Well worth it!
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/28/22 at 01:26:58

Quote:
Welcome!  if you can swing a ZRock2, go for it.  Well worth it!
Bob

Definitely. Bob is right.

You're very welcome Earth!!

- Brad

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/28/22 at 03:38:52

Great idea. I did look at the zrock Kulafi. I will probably wait until the speakers and system have played awhile and then decide zrock or sub. I’m not familiar with the zrock, except for a couple of reviews I’ve read. Would love to get a bass boost considering the Zu’s are not bass heavy. I think it’s the woofer size and a sound range limitation. So, will a zrock be able to help?

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/28/22 at 04:23:40

Yes.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/28/22 at 05:24:33

Thanks dancingsea. Succinct. I guess another piece of equipment will be ordered. I would like to wait but with the waitlist I may as well order now. At that cost, will be worth it to give it a try as opposed to buying a sub woofer.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/28/22 at 05:44:11

The ZRock is one of my favorite pieces of audio gear ever.  It’s much more than a bass boost.  I listen mostly to physical CDs and the ZRock, combined with the CSP3’s gain controls, make such a remarkable difference to a sense of weight.   I’ve never heard Zu’s in person, but from the many YouTube reviews I’ve watched, I think the ZR2 would work very well with Zu by adding adjustable on demand richness when desired.

This is my first experience with separate gain controls (CSP3).  I think every preamp or integrated amp ought to have them.

When I have the gain set properly, it opens up such an elevated portal of sonic experience.  The jury shifts from analytical to the foot tap test. If the foot is moving, the gain is just right.

And the two different EQ bands on the ZR2 are helpful for different situations.  I find “A” to have nice bass, but not as heavy a hit as “B”.  “A” seems to attenuate the treble more than “B” which creates warmth.  Very versatile and a super clever design.  Which sounds best depends upon which tubes are in use, and in which order the chain is arranged.

Be clear, the ZRock is cheating. But I don’t care. It makes recordings sound better than they actually do.

Oh, welcome aboard the Decware train. Don’t need no ticket, just get onboard (and be patient).

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/28/22 at 06:43:12

Earthbound,

I have spades on the other end of my speaker cables as I believe they make a tighter connection than bananas and I don't disconnect them very often. The standard Zu spades fit great with the binding posts on the Torii.

David

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/28/22 at 13:15:46

It’s funny that I get a bit nervous regarding new equipment of this sort. I’ve never had a tube amp or tube preamp or tube “equalizer”. Never had adjustments or ways to change the music. Even changing out tubes. Such options. I suppose it’s really just a matter of what my ear likes best. Nice to know I have some flexibility versus this is the sound and you like it or not.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #12 - 05/28/22 at 15:38:22

Welcome to the forum Earthbound. Yes Decware gear offers a lot of flexibility in terms of adjustment of gain and such, but it is still at its core very basic, straightforward, pure audio gear. Like a lot of forum member, we've been through a stack of gear only to find out it really wasn't making music. In my opinion, Steve's designs are just letting the signal flow without any negative impact. If you read through his design notes about various pieces, you'll see a lot of rabbit holes he travels down only to back up and regroup. It's a lot like cooking, the best dish is keep it simple with the best components you can get. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/28/22 at 17:30:08

Thanks for the welcome and advice hdrider. Having gone down this rabbit hole and reading so much material, I was really surprised to learn just how much music is manipulated. I was a product of the cd era and thought that was “the best”. Learning that solid state, speakers and connections all play their part in changing things. As you stated, keep it simple and let the music speak for itself so to speak. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/28/22 at 18:41:45

Btw hdrider, it was hard to sell my Road King Special a couple of months ago. Was a great bike but I needed to ride something a bit easier to maneuver and wind protection. They are truly works of art!

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/28/22 at 18:44:38

I think the audiophile concept of letting music speak for itself is a myth.  Enumerable companies claim that ideology, as if there’s an achievable state in which the gear steps aside and all you hear is the music, as the artist intended.

Yet each company’s equipment who purports this ideology, sounds different than the other company purporting the same ideology.  If they were all achieving this mythological state, then they would sound the same.  But that’s far from the truth.  Which makes the premise mostly marketing rubbish.

The Decware gain controls do serve as a type of tone control. Increasing or decreasing gain has profound effects.  Add in the ZRock, and you’re yet further from the recording.  And tube rolling provides yet another infinite layer of sonic manipulation.

But I question the value of audiophile purity to begin with.  Hearing what the “artist intended” is impossible unless you have the same gear and room as the artist, and have the artist with you to listen to your system to confirm that it matches their intent.  And the final release is put together by the mastering engineer, not the artist.

Setting aside the myths, what ought to matter most is that the sound is to your liking. That you like what you’re hearing. After all, what if you have different tastes than the artist?  And how can one system possibly match the sound of an infinite number of different mastering systems?

Decware’s gain and ZR2 tone controls, along with tube rolling, allow you to manipulate the sound to your liking.  To make it sound good in your room, on your system, to your ears.

I appreciate Decware not because it’s a purist, but because it’s a realist. And that practical mindset opens far more doors than companies that are pursuing an unachievable purist myth.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/28/22 at 19:35:40

DancingSea,

You running the stock rectifier in your CSP3?

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/28/22 at 19:47:48

Well based on reviews and some members here, I ordered the zrock this morning. So someday in the distant future all 3 components will be here. At least the speakers and their cables will be broken in already.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/28/22 at 21:11:42

Great move, Earth. You will be set. You’ve got serious stuff on hand, and incoming. Prepare for a portal to the journey to the center of your mind.

BTW, what genres of music do you listen to?

Brad

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/28/22 at 22:09:05

I was sold hard months ago for a ZR2. Think that order is under 1200. lol

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/28/22 at 22:24:15

I listen to rock and jazz mostly piezoman. Metal as well but mostly at the gym and not at home. Really looking forward to some Cannonball and Nina. Im going to order Qobuz, on Steve’s recommendation and hopefully they have a large selection. How about yourself?

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/29/22 at 05:32:08

Earthbound,

I also listen to mostly rock and jazz, with a side of classical and a smidgen of show tunes. I especially appreciate female vocals, ranging from Joni to Lisa Gerrard to Amy Lee. I recently made the switch from Pandora to Qobuz, and I'm not looking back. Both the sonic quality and the selection on Qobuz make it easily the best choice. I use it now on all 3 systems plus my iPhone and Between Pro earbuds. I just wish they didn't block it at work!   Sad

David

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/29/22 at 05:38:24

Great to hear armstdav. Thanks for sharing. It’s going to be my go to source for a bit. My CD player sucks and I’d rather invest in a phonograph and vinyl next. I was recommended the Cambridge unit. I would love to hear peoples imput and perhaps other suggestions.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/29/22 at 05:51:54

If you're referring to the Cambridge CXN, it gets pretty universal good reviews so I'm sure it's a great choice. As an IT guy, I have lots of computer hardware laying around so each of my systems has a Mac laptop with an external DAC, and on the big rig its a Schiit Bifrost. I also have an old Onix CD player and have bypassed the analog out by running digital into the Bifrost and it's a huge improvement. If your CD player has digital output I highly recommend it; only the really top notch CD players have good DACs built in.

If I wasn't a computer geek I'd have a streamer like the Cambridge in a hot minute.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/29/22 at 15:16:57

Earth, I too love jazz….jazz fusion in particular. I find straight jazz to be too uninteresting, smooth jazz to be cheap cheesy and almost pathetic.

I really LOVE classical, most particularly the Baroque and Classical eras by far. Stunning, eternally fascinating, utterly gorgeous, dynamic, brilliantly devised. The earlier Romantic era somewhat. I find the later Romantic era a bit disturbing, which led right into the very worst ever: most everything in the 20th century absolutely revolting to the point of being physically vile (a big huge fat blank you goes to President Wilson, little Willy boy as I refer to him, and his severely depressive culture).

Also:
- Acoustic guitar, solo in particular.
- Blues
- Electric Blues-Rock (not the ridiculous and child-like hard rock-blues in many cases because the lyrics are terrible and the guitar too much like the vile and repulsive idiot man’s band AC-DC (notice I say blues rock vs. rock-blues).
- Female Jazz Vocals
- Progressive Rock, 70’s most particularly.
- Americana, the less twang the better.
- Hard Rock, though far much less than when I was in my teens, 20’s-early 40’s.

I’d say the listening breakdown over the past year or so  would be:
Classical - 75%
Jazz Fusion - 20%
Everything else - 5%

Classical and Jazz Fusion has slowly been increasing in my listening profile over the past few years, with all the rest slowly shrinking.

I hope I didn’t bore you to death. I’m usually not very wordy, and I like it that way.

Brad

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/29/22 at 15:49:12

armstdav, Running a Pi4 into my Bifrost. Have a Hel 2 on my desktop.

Brad, Looking for a dac for my second system. Is your Dac balanced, assuming the ZBIT in the system. Would it be something to consider instead of a ZR2. When upgrading to a balanced dac? If you could only get one.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 05/29/22 at 16:41:36

Never boring to hear what people are listening to Brad. Funny that you mention cheesy jazz. I put on a little Chet Baker this morning, which is fine when I have company but was reminded why I haven’t listened to it in awhile. Not judging! I had to follow it up with Cannonball Adderley’s Them Dirty Blues to be reminded why I love jazz.
What sort of jazz fusion? I’m always looking for some new listening choices.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 05/29/22 at 17:17:46

"Them Dirty Blues"-- what a great album. I haven't felt fusion since the 'eighties for the most part, but I'll never tire of Cannonball!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/29/22 at 18:27:25

Quote:
haven't felt fusion since the 'eighties for the most part,

Why did you change your post from “I was bored of jazz fusion since eighties”?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 05/29/22 at 19:03:53

Quote:
Brad, Looking for a dac for my second system. Is your Dac balanced, assuming the ZBIT in the system. Would it be something to consider instead of a ZR2. When upgrading to a balanced dac? If you could only get one

Yes, my Bryston BDA-3 DAC is also balanced with a 4v output which is why I have a ZBIT which just as importantly serves as an additional gain point. I chose this DAC for its absolutely superb precision with no leading etch at all, and it’s dogged neutrality. I required these 2 characteristics in particular so the tuning could be better accomplished downstream. To me, a very high level of neutrality from the source is key to better control of personal taste afterwards in the audio chain. A nice neutral amp also aids in that effort.

The ZR2 is a different matter, and if I could only have a ZBIT or a ZR2 I would choose the ZR2 up front…..then get the ZBIT and a high quality DAC with balanced circuitry soon after anyway  :-)

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 05/29/22 at 19:16:17

Quote:
What sort of jazz fusion? I’m always looking for some new listening choices.

Sure! A partial list:

CAB
Bill Bruford
Exil
Return To Forever
Modry Efekt
John Scofield
Brecker Brothers
Jukka Tolonen
Brand X
Niacin
Al DiMeola
Michel Urbaniek
Vertu
Speed Limit
Colosseum (I and II)
Dixie Dregs
Etna
Brother Ape

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/29/22 at 19:31:41

Cool Brad. Will go through the list and check them out. I’m currently having an infatuation with Purple Mountain.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 05/29/22 at 19:42:19

On reflection it more accurately reflected how I feel about the genre; it hasn't engaged me since my first decade listening to it. After the 'eighties I've moved further from rock and more towards jazz. I like world musics and classical as well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 05/29/22 at 23:10:20

rrrrrrrrrright.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 05/29/22 at 23:20:46

Thanks Brad, didn't mean to cut into the middle of your conversation.

Is Motown it's own genre?

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 05/29/22 at 23:25:19

Could that be that we just got a bit older and wiser gentlemen! Like fine wine.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 05/29/22 at 23:27:05

There is actually quite a bit of good rock in the 80’s and beyond but you have to search for it. My current favorite is Purple Mountain. Only one album. Give it a try.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 05/29/22 at 23:38:27

Quote:
Is Motown is own genre?

Yes, I do believe so. R&B with pop, IMO.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 05/29/22 at 23:44:51

Listened to a bit of it on YouTube. It's alright. Not really my cup of tea. We all like different things. Thanks for the rec.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 05/30/22 at 04:51:50

Cool that you gave it a listen. I didn’t like it at first. As a matter of fact, I generally don’t like any music the first couple times through. As I’ve aged I’ve decided to commit to a new album for a bunch of listens, not that I expect that from you Lon. After a few days and perhaps 10 listens, I make the call. Some have actually become some of my favorites. Some wound up in the trash.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 05/30/22 at 12:18:34

We're all different. In general I get an immediate reaction to music that doesn't change. I'm either intrigued. . . or not involved. There was a gradual shift from my twenties into my thirties as far as major genre shifting--from liking rock and jazz and then fusion to not really feeling the rock and fusion any longer and getting deep deep into jazz with its 100 plus years of history and how it was woven into the 20th century history and culture--so much to learn both musically and information wise. (This shift was also catalyzed by playing out in clubs with two bands and becoming disillusioned by the scene and so many of the other musicians who were. . . not fun to be around, bullying egos and drunken behaviors are not my style; when I stopped performing music I needed a different sort of listening experience).  I'm still discovering and learning jazz music. And I have over 25,000 cds and records here in my home and another 10,000 or so in storage so I have so much to listen to ALREADY and need to begin serious downsizing (I've downsized about as much as I've increased the collections over the last few years, which is not making an impact; need to do better).

I'm closer to 70 than 60 and the themes of rock and the way that it is performed and recorded just doesn't "speak" to me as much as a piano trio or a small jazz ensemble or an orchestra or solo piano or a cello or string quartet or a Bossa nova group or. . . .I wish there were more time in the day to listen and hope I have another decade or so.

Music is such an amazing and vast thing. . . music listeners can understand differing tastes and fields of pursuit unless they're just "trying to be cool" (believe me, I've encountered those).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print