Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:57:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New ZMA YouTube video out... (Read 2913 times)
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

New ZMA YouTube video out...
05/20/22 at 17:03:01

I think the guy should have broken it in before review, but oh well. What a beautiful amp. Decware stuff looks great in pictures, but seeing one on HD video with proper lighting is something else. That internal p2p wiring looked like high art!

https://youtu.be/JTh4uyV5sBs

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: New ZMA YouTube video out...
Reply #1 - 05/20/22 at 18:15:44

Loved where he said there were like 100 people on the wait list.   Grin

He's way premature with his bass comments given the power tubes he used and the time he had on the amp.  Of course, a ZR2 would help.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #2 - 05/20/22 at 18:46:04

I remember Andrew Robinson saying that reviewers are  on the same waiting list as regular customers. It seems that it is no longer the case in lights of most recent youtube reviews. I think it is a good thing given the new 300B is coming soon..
look forward to see the reviews about this one

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/20/22 at 19:40:07

I was stunned at how seemingly little he knew about Decware, given that he bought their top of the line amp. Like how he seemed shocked about the flight case, and the 100 person wait list, etc.

Most of us on here could recite what Steve eats for breakfast, and this guy doesn't even understand break-in, Tube-rolling, ZROCK2, etc. It's cool that he's a fan, he just seems a bit ill-informed.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/20/22 at 20:05:01

I can see how he would want to "get on record" as soon as possible, but, as already alluded to, his impressions are premature.

I'll watch for him to do an update soon.

I noticed he was talking about all the recent things going on (I have not gone through all his linked vids) and as mentioned about the break in of the ZMA, he lead me to believe his Sonus Faber speakers were newish as well.

... and he's not getting the sound he was looking for? Hmmm...

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/22 at 20:40:40

The sticker indicates that he got it 5 months ago in December.

He loses me a bit when he starts talking about vintage vs new tube amp sound, this shows a lack of real knowledge/experience in this area.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/20/22 at 22:51:16

Agreed. Literally every Decware review I've ever read, here or elsewhere, said something along the lines of: if you're looking for a slow, thick, vintage sound, look elsewhere. The speed of this amp will blow your wig off...

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/21/22 at 01:44:53

Bluemage, thanks for sharing. Jay is one of the select Audio YouTubers I follow. I also agree that he should have either broken it in more and or used different tubes.  I hesitate to say different speakers since it’s really clear that he wanted the ZMA to work on his Sonus Faber speakers, even though he admitted the result would be much better with more efficient speakers and or those with a horn design.

That said, I’m not surprised or dismayed by him not knowing Decware as closely as some of the members on this forum.  I find that even in the Audiophile world, Decware is a boutique brand, outside the radar of most.  I am assuming the romance starts when one hears the amps and starts engaging on the forums.  Then, there are ppl like me who don’t own a single Decware product, but all in, given the countless hours of research, keeping up with forum threads, and reviewing the buildsheet every other day to see if we moved up a notch.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/21/22 at 03:54:09

Right on, I'm in your boat! I've read everything, but waiting for my order to ship. Which will be quite a while!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/21/22 at 09:45:36

BJ,
At one point in the video he did show a shot of his built sticker on the bottom of the ZMA. It was built 12/21. Video uploaded 5/22.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/21/22 at 12:30:22

I don't want to dis' the guy. I love his energy and enthusiasm.
I had to go back, skip forward to the sticker, to confirm what others had seen.

I also notice that his video was shot over a period of time with MANY takes and the mere editing portion could have taken a great deal of work to make something coherent out of all his collections of files recorded.

... and he had a fairly long vid to edit and publish. That's no small amount of work and time consumed, setting his actual "impressions" even closer to the time he received his amp.

I tend to agree with the group in that he needs to run things a while longer, flip some tubes through, burn those new-ish Sonus Fabers for a bit and report back to his fan base after some extended play.
But, he's cool ...
Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/21/22 at 13:41:54

Not sure about all the conjecture in this thread but how much bass can be expected out of a 7 inch woofer in a bookshelf box setting on pedestals crossed with a tweeter messing with timing?
He states that on more efficient speakers the bass does come thru well.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/21/22 at 16:38:19

Beautifully shot.

His needs were obviously not met by his combination of components, listening space, and expectations, and that’s ok.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 05/21/22 at 17:25:44

I watched the video this morning and came away with a couple of thoughts.

The first being that the combination that he is using just didn't work together. It happens.

Another thought was that as Danny Richie has stated, a lot of these YouTube reviewers don't know what the hell they are talking about. Again just a possibility....

Another thought is that the reviewer has different tastes and may just be a bass head.

Or, maybe the ZMA doesn't sound good? The times that I have listened to a ZMA, I liked it, but who am I to judge?

Overall, I took the review to be fairly positive. but it didn't suit his taste. I can respect that.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #14 - 05/21/22 at 18:17:06

I found it a little puzzling that the speakers didn't have the mid bass bloom he was after, yet he gets it in spades with the sold state amplifiers... Solid state is high damping factor which means the woofer has a stiffer grip on it causing it to move less. This in turn tightens up the bass which usually also comes across as reduced bass. If he had no power issues with the ZMA, never clipped it, you would think with the ZMA having less damping there would be more midbass, not less. Is he just playing them louder with the solid state I wonder? I did drop him a note about trying different tubes since I would love it if he could get the sound he's after!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print