Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 16:12:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mcintosh C22 MK IV with Rachel? (Read 1979 times)
thevinoman

Mcintosh C22 MK IV with Rachel?
05/19/22 at 14:34:31

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this combo, or could comment on the specs of the Mcintosh and how it may play with a Rachel?  Thanks.

http://www.mcintoshcompendium.com/Compendium%20Docs/Pre-Amplifiers/PDFs/C22%20MK...

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Re: Mcintosh C22 MK IV with Rachel?
Reply #1 - 05/20/22 at 00:19:42

thevinoman -

The Mac pre and the 34I.5 should play well with each other. Looking at the specs, it doesn't look like anything would overload or 'underload' in normal operation with CD / DAC or phono. The 34I.5 has input sensitivity of 2.5V (for full power) so should give you noticeably more play with the preamp volume (and give you a lot more headroom) as compared to 1V sensitivity that many amps have.

The Mac has 15dB of available gain and you would need just less than 2dB of that to raise the 2V from a DAC to 2.5V for the amp. All that is assuming unbalanced RCA connection. (Balanced out of DAC is 2x V of unbalanced). If you have now or plan to get a DAC that operates in true balanced differential mode (containing a separate DAC module ea. for (+) and (-)  per channel) then you would need to use balanced XLR connection from DAC to preamp for it to operate in that way. Of  course it works with unbalanced RCA connection but the DAC is then using only one leg per channel.

As a starting point for setting things, turn the amp volume knobs back and forth before turning it on and find the halfway point. No fine precision needed. Turn all volume controls down, turn the preamp on, wait ~20 seconds, then switch on the amp. Another 40-60 seconds, turn the amp volume up to mid point, then raise the preamp volume to the sound level where you normally like it for that music.

As you get functionally comfortable with everything you can play around with adjusting amp and preamp volume controls vs. each other to obtain different sound characteristics.

So then, along with the power up routine, it should basically be plug and play for the Mac and the 34I.5

IP Logged
thevinoman

Reply #2 - 05/21/22 at 23:40:31

Thank you very much, great info.  I really appreciate it.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 05/27/22 at 02:12:48

thevinoman- The Mac will play well with the Decware amp, promise you. It will take a little while to find the sweet spot with everything, plus the amps has to settle in. Don't over think it. Get the gear, hook it up, get some sound and play some music. Later, you can get OCD on the whole thing. Eventually you get to the point where ya fire it up and listen....Happy listening, keep us posted, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
thevinoman

Reply #4 - 05/27/22 at 20:51:43

Thank you all.  I was hoping there was good news here.....now just have to wait for the Rachel.....  I can play with the MC 240 and MC 30s in the meantime.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 05/28/22 at 15:22:58

thevinoman- MC30's? I bought a pair of them from a customer in the late 80's when I was in the audio biz. Nothing compared to our Rachael but a great piece of audio history. Love to see a photo of them. Have a great three day weekend and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
thevinoman

Reply #6 - 05/30/22 at 02:54:23

Yes, got them a few years ago, completely restored, and they are beautiful and very cherished.  I'll have to dig to find some photos.  My C22 MKIV preamp can switch between them and my MC240, which is very handy.  I think the MC240 will come out when I get the Rachel, and it will be an interesting comparison between the Rachel and the MC30s, certainly very different sound signatures, but interesting nonetheless.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print