Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 08:31:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How about a hearing loss thread? (Read 7377 times)
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

How about a hearing loss thread?
05/19/22 at 06:17:45

I apologize if I’m too new to this forum and oblivious to this topic if it exists somewhere else here. Curious what everyone thinks about hearing loss and hifi?  I’ve been running power tools, playing live music and listening to my stereos for many decades now and although I take care of myself now I did not in my younger days. I sometimes wonder what I might be missing or how my impressions of a system might be different than someone else’s just based on how we have treated our ears over the years?

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Re: How about a hearing loss thread?
Reply #1 - 05/19/22 at 07:40:11

It sure can.  Was having some hearing symptoms that seemed like tinnitus developing a couple years back (2019/20)

Stereo sounded awful, concerts too.

Was honestly wondering if my stereo enjoyment years were over.

Wondered if it could just be a wax buildup issue so went to a hearing clinic where they did tests and a checkup.

My hearing curve at that time certainly wasn’t as flat as Steve’s equipment curves, and I imagine all of ours would look unique, so yes we hear differently.

Anyways They found nothing they could do, but I started on some supplements that thankfully helped me return to normal

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #2 - 05/19/22 at 16:39:32

Johnycopy,
Had tinnitus hit about a year ago. Pretty annoying, but when the headphones are on I don't hear it. I've learned to tune it out and ignore it.

Curious what supplements you tried that helped.

Cheers,                   Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 05/19/22 at 17:18:39

Quote:
Curious what supplements you tried that helped.

Me too.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/19/22 at 17:55:27

And me!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/19/22 at 17:57:02

WOT??

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/19/22 at 18:13:14

I know my hearing has changed over the years of abuse.
I have some lingering tinnitus.

Where we used to live had, over time as well, become so damn loud.
Little quiet small town street when we moved there, but then a few big box stores on the outskirts and our little street became the Ratrun bypass for the whole town. Even big trucks used it. Not ideal!
I did not realize how all that nearly constant noise was irritating my existing tinnitus.

Now that we have moved away from all that and live in a really quiet area with a golf course for a back yard, things are so much better.

I will go so far as to suggest that my ears have already healed some.
It is noticeable. I hear dog walkers talking two blocks away and I can understand their speech.
A year ago, if I found myself in a quiet space, all I heard was a big roar inside my head (NOT ringing, roar) from tinnitus.
I don't hear the roar anymore.
I am sure my ears are healing a little.

But I certainly want to hear more about this supplement that helps!!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/22 at 18:29:41

I know there is an online, live hearing test that I used once. It starts at 22K sine wave and goes down from there in stages until you can hear something.

I know my son can still hear that frequency. We did a little half blind test on each other and by the way he jerked my headphones off when I started his test and said, "TURN IT DOWN!!" I'm guessing his hearing is still OK.

I was at 13K in one ear and 15K in the other. The Definition of hearing loss. Couple of years ago.

I'll try to find the linky and post it.

IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #8 - 05/19/22 at 19:26:04

I've had tinnitus for a while but recently discovered that coffee dramatically increase the effect. I've stopped drinking coffee for a month now and it's almost all gone ( now it's only at high frequency I would say 15k + )

I tested my hearing with frequency pitch with REW and I can hear up to 18k htz. My hope is that it is due to my speakers / system (klipsch heresy 2) and not my hearing ...

also I protect my hears all the time with custom made earplugs. And one thing I experienced is how my perception of the music is different when I listen after wearing them. So now it's part of my routine 15 / 20 minutes of earplugs before a listening session.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/22 at 19:39:46

Caffeine, alcohol, and stress all can make my tinnitus worse. I've had it for about 20 years now.

I recently gave up coffee, and don't drink very much anymore so it will be interesting to see if there are any positive effects.

I think my hearing is still decent overall, apart from the high pitched eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 24/7.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/19/22 at 19:40:38

MichaelG,
Almost like purposefully going without for a while to make that special night better?

Interesting concept.
Do you work in an environment that requires constant protection?

Wondering why you wear plugs all the time.

IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #11 - 05/19/22 at 20:14:30

Sorry I should have been more precise. Not really all the time but every time there's noise around me. When I take the subway or pass the vacuum cleaner.  even walking in the street. I have 2 pairs of earplugs , 1 is 15db the other 25db so I can adjust.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/19/22 at 20:15:29

I have also read that aspirin can increase tinnitus.
And my doc has me taking aspirin daily to improve my blood pressure meds' effectivness and keep that dosage as low as possible.

I have not noticed coffee affecting things, but I learned in my twenties that even one beer would mess up my ability to do my job in sound reinforcement.

Everyone wants to buy the band a round of drinks so I always kept a club soda in a large tallboy/highball glass with a lemon and a swizzle stick in it to discourage people from buying me something.

I couldn't drink a drop of alcohol when I was working. Saved all that for later.

I'll try to pay more attention to the coffee thing.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/19/22 at 20:27:58

Thanks for the clarification, MichaelG.

I am almost rabid with my kids about wearing protection, especially like when mowing, weed whacking or any machine use of any kind. Even a hand drill is loud.
Two screws with a drill, no big deal, but it is the habit I want to instill.

Voice of experience, here! I hope they are learning.

Still curious about how you  "build up"  to a listening session with quiet. I have never heard of this.
It intrigues me.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #14 - 05/19/22 at 22:08:34

Quote:
recently discovered that coffee dramatically increase the effect. I've stopped drinking coffee for a month now and it's almost all gone

I love my coffee, and won't give it up. I'll just have to keep taking that risk Smiley

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #15 - 05/19/22 at 23:23:20

I don’t really understand. I ve been drinking coffee for year but my tonnitus just started 1 or 2 years ago and just lately I realized stopping coffee was working

IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #16 - 05/20/22 at 02:20:54

I have some mild hearing loss.

Screenshot_20220519-201732.jpg

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/20/22 at 03:23:40

The Navy has taken a toll on my hearing too. Thankfully I can still enjoy music. I did just get hearing aids from the Navy. I didn’t realize some of the highs I was missing from music.

I have tinnitus too. The hearing aids seems to help. It was explained to me like phantom pain in an amputation. Brain tries to replace high frequency that is missing and I end up with a constant high pitched tone. I have learned how to ignore it at times with music.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/20/22 at 05:32:35

Hmmm… coffee, alcohol, and stress. No wonder I have problems. 🤣
The music makes it better though.
Johnnycopy, I’m interested too in the supplements you are taking. I’ve read that vitamins A, C, and E, along with magnesium, are beneficial for holding your ground, but also that the damage that is done is done and not recoverable.
I still tend to listen to what sounds good to me and cross reference with analysis rather than force analysis and suffer with poor hearing.

IP Logged
Yakatak
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 05/20/22 at 19:34:19

USMC field artillery, a lifetime of motorcycle riding, and lots of loud rock and roll, have taken their toll on my hearing. I actually packed all my audio gear away for several years because it just wasn't fun anymore. I finally decided to try hearing aids, and while they certainly helped with my overall hearing loss, were just awful for music. After giving up on two audiologists and two high end hearing aid models ($$$$), i discovered Dr, Marshall Chasin AuD. Dr Chasin specializes in hearing loss for musicians and music lovers. After researching his articles, freely available online, I now have hearing aids I love, and have rekindled my love for music and audio hardware.

Jon in SC

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/20/22 at 23:36:09

Bill, Geno, Doug.

Further to my post (post 2).

I'm in Canada.  What helped me was a product by New Nordic called Ear Tone, got it at Walmart. Multiple ingredients in it including pine bark (pycnogenol).

Obviously check to see if any issues with anything else you are taking.

Its goal is to improve microcirculation (cochlear blood flow) (thats in the ear for any smart alec's Smiley ).

Take care.
John

IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #21 - 05/21/22 at 00:21:08

Hey John,

thanks for that info. I’m in canada too. I’ll try it.

michael

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 05/21/22 at 02:32:56

Another is Nicotinamide...  If you search this with hearing improvement or the like, interesting. I heard about it from an audio buddy who is also always researching health stuff, and have been taking it a while for improvement, or at least as a preventative.... can't say if it improved my hearing yet, but maybe. It does seem good these days.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/21/22 at 22:54:44

I’m damaged, too many arena shows and noisy coach rides back to back. Back when mosquito ring tones were big I took a couple of tests and nothing over 14K. Not long after that I quit recording sessions, the idea of a substandard product ended that. The tinnitus is relentless, made worse by hot peppers or aspirin. But, what I hear is what I hear so I don’t have a better reference to strive for, and, I can still tell when the recorded sounds are good and the mix is printed right. It’d be way cool to hear like I was 30 again…

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 05/21/22 at 23:54:03

johnnycopy wrote on 05/20/22 at 23:36:09:
I'm in Canada.  What helped me was a product by New Nordic called Ear Tone, got it at Walmart. Multiple ingredients in it including pine bark (pycnogenol).

Thanks for the info.
I found that product available at Amazon here in the USA, as well.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 05/22/22 at 21:54:46

Undecided🤔My damn ears been ringing since this post…….

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/23/22 at 02:02:59

I checked out that supplement and it’s primarily ginkgo biloba, along with magnesium. Magnesium is readily available in other supplements and leafy greens. There is pine bark too… not sure about that one… but ginkgo supplements are way less expensive than that hearing supplement. Thanks for sharing that though, I’m going to try out the ginkgo, reduce my alcohol and coffee, and keep listening.  :)

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 05/23/22 at 04:25:35

That pine bark extract (pycnogenol ) thing is a little troublesome to research.

Almost every notable website (John Hopkins, WebMd, HealthLine, RXList and a few in the busines of selling it) cites studies that may or could or can show some, this or that, possibly, might, have shown, small study   ......  of just about everything malady-wise everyone wants to fix, from diabetes, heart health to leg cramps and kidney function.

That was my hour long first impression of trying to find out more about pycnogenol suplements.

That study set will take some time to iron out.

If it does anything positive for hearing health, I'm all in.
I'm more interested in what minerals or beneficial combinations of minerals I might be missing, that it might supplement, tbh.

Ears are bones when you get down to mechanical functionality, susceptible to similar arthritic hinderments and calcification build ups common with age, so my doctor has told me in the past.
Bones need minerals.

I would like to see someone with a few degrees on the subject pop over and set us forward with usable info.
Grin

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 05/23/22 at 06:05:52

Of course, it doesn't exist unless it's in peer reviewed literature.   Roll Eyes   A dig at the "medical" community, not anyone here.

What I've learned more recently is how Zinc and Vitamin D seem to be the answers to everything.  I'd start there.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #29 - 05/30/22 at 19:54:48

I was reading someone’s post on audiokarma about an experimental drug that would help regrow lost hair in the inner ear. I think it involves an injection shot to the inner ear?!?! Ouch!!! Smiley

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
MyBlueSky
Verified Member

An honest tune with
a lingering lead

Reply #30 - 05/30/22 at 20:28:58

Yes Geno. Researchers at MIT and a company aptly named Frequency are currently starting a second round of clinical trials using a drug to regrow the hair cells within the cochlea. Their hope is to make this treatment as common as lasik surgery is today. I’m very excited about this as I spent decades standing between my guitar amp and my drummer. Lol.

https://news.mit.edu/2022/frequency-therapeutics-hearing-regeneration-0329

Torii mk lV, CSP3, Z Rock 2, Z Box, Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp, RME ADI 2, Denafrips Venus II, Music Hall mmf 7.3, AVA Vision Q phonostage, Sumiko Bluepoint Evo, Panasonic DP-UP 9000, 947 Monoliths, Zu Omen DW mk2, Omega Super 3 HO monitors, Zen silver RCA
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/31/22 at 20:12:31

We can all heal ourselves. No drugs, injections or medical procedures. Sounds like science fiction. When it’s science fact. We can clean up and remove mutated DNA, leaving our pure DNA behind, activate stem cells (adults have dormant stem cells), burn off scar tissue and mutated cells, spike HGH so we can regrow cells based on our cleaned DNA. 

Dry Fasting is the most powerful healing agent known. Not only can we rebuild what we once thought lost, we can cure and reverse many ailments.

I’m hesitant to list how I’ve benefited or the people I’ve introduced benefited, as it doesn’t seem possible. 

Books by Dr. Sergey Filonov, and August Dunning (NASA scientist) are excellent sources of information. The two books provide all the information needed to be successful. 

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 06/01/22 at 20:30:21

How about a "Hearing Test" thread! Two years ago, I had a free hearing test from Costco. At age 57, the results showed no hearing loss. I use ear protection all the time when using power tools, and other motorized equipment. The technician recommended the test be repeated every five years.

IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 06/09/22 at 04:16:46

Mr. Deckert, I must say that you "Hit the Ball out of the Park," in designing the SE84UFO. Since new customers are relying on your expertise in developing new amplifiers, and speakers, have you had your hearing tested?

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 10/10/22 at 18:31:54

Been taking the supplements about 4 months now and not noticing any changes/improvements. Anyone else?
I was on a long drive recently and pulled out my decibel meter and spectrum analyzer apps on my phone, and was startled to see Highway driving was between 90 and 100 db depending on the vehicle. So I’m protecting my ears by trying not to listen to music over 80-85 db but then subjecting my ears to long bouts of louder sound driving. The spectrum analyzer showed the road noise is at a lower frequency range than listening but still going to start wearing earplugs while driving.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print