Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:52:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lii Silver-6 as OB Nearfield? (Read 1269 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Lii Silver-6 as OB Nearfield?
05/12/22 at 08:20:36

I have a pair of these drivers and thought (first mistake?) it would be interesting to try them as OB desktop speakers. I have a pretty large desk and could get the drivers about 36" from each ear.

I'd like to use a rectangular baffle. Ideally, general dimensions would be around 11" x 18" or thereabouts, just based on desk space, but that's flexible. Could be bigger.

So I look at what people are building and think, ah, baffle width is the thing, and other than that, shape apparently isn't critical because most everyone is using rectangular baffles.

Being totally simple on this as well as other subjects, I figured all I needed was to plug in driver size or some other parameter(s) into a handy web-based calculator, and get a recommended baffle width --  maybe not "accurate" or "optimal," but enough of a starting point to try building the baffles. But everything I've looked at sort of starts in the middle and leaves me behind, IOW I don't have the background.

(I'm aware there are issues such as whether the edge of the baffle is rounded, whether the driver is recessed & etc. For inspiration on that I'd hoped to just look intently at my F15 Caintuck baffles, and kind of channel them, like a good Russian military strategist.)

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm curious as to how these little drivers would sound, since their larger brethren are getting such good reviews.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: Lii Silver-6 as OB Nearfield?
Reply #1 - 05/12/22 at 13:54:42

I think what builders try to avoid is ‘baffle step loss’ where the baffle affects the bass response by being too wide or tall. In an open baffle or dipole speaker this is mitigated somewhat because the open back provides additional sound source that’s then reflected. I’d guess that a width that doesn’t exceed half the woofer diameter from speaker edge to baffle edge is a fair place to begin. http://www.dddac.de/baffle.htm Has a not too technical discussion and a couple of formulas to give you some ideas.

Me? I'd just cut a couple of baffles and give it a go. Your ears are always the best tools in the end.

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/22 at 22:40:39

Many thanks for this. Traction!

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/17/22 at 22:47:45

Don't expect any bass with a qts of .286