Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:50:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vinylleroy's place (with no Decware just yet) (Read 1510 times)
Vinylleroy
Verified Member

Vinylleroy's place (with no Decware just yet)
05/03/22 at 13:59:19

As I have just registered to the forum, after reading along for quite some time. I felt like it was time to register and introduce myself.

I live in the Netherlands and have a 40 year old pair of speakers, the Elipson 1303 FT, with a tube amp from Unison Research, The S6 MK2.

In a few months (when our new home is build) I will likely move up to a pair of Avantgarde UNO XD's. Because of this, I'm curious to hear about the experiences of fellow forum members, with a Decware-Avantgarde combination.

Ultimately, and it might be a far fetch, but I'm looking for people with that combination in the Netherlands! Is there anyone here on the forum? Wink

I'll continue reading here on the forum. Greetings. Leroy

Elipson_1_kleiner.jpg
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: Vinylleroy's place (with no Decware just yet)
Reply #1 - 05/03/22 at 16:33:33

Welcome Leroy! I loved my visit to Amsterdam some years ago. What a beautiful city. Your VPI turntable looks very nice. I assume form your turntable choice and user name that you listen primarily to records. Me too. I had a VPI, but decided to go a different direction while stationed in Japan. I absolutely loved the high quality vintage DDs available there.

I can't help you with your speaker query, but wanted to extend a welcome. My experience with Decware SE amps is that they play far better with a range of speakers than one would think based on power alone. That said, they are not immune to the demands of hard to drive speakers. In my listening, I have not heard something they won't work with so far as balanced sound that sounds good, it's more a matter of volume. I don't have experience with Decware PP amps, but assume similar sound signature with more volume on low efficiency speakers.

Best of luck to you, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Vinylleroy
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/05/22 at 12:41:14

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your reply.

Amsterdam is great, but if you ever want to visit The Netherlands, make sure you go to Haarlem as well, great city and less crowded.

You are absolutely right, I do primarily listen to Vinyl even though I did start to like CD's more and more as well!

The VPI is a very nice turntable, as I started with a Pro-ject turntable, this was for me a pretty big step up. I'm planning to get a MC cartridge, but don't know which yet.

Are you still in Japan? Must be a lovely place to be!? And the 1200 series is a very nice (looking) TT mate!

Well, I don't think the UFO series can drive my current speakers, as they are 88db efficient, but they can easily drive horn speakers.

Are you living with the Kef speakers for a long time now? I also have the KEF LS50 Meta's here, I bought them in december and like them alot. I just missed the 'realism' of the Elipson speakers, but can imagine the more expensive kef speakers to be pretty impressive!

Well, thanks for the war welcome!  ;)

Greetings, Leroy

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/05/22 at 16:16:18

Hello again Leroy,

I hope to get back someday and will definitely check out Haarlem if I do. I was stationed in Japan for 3 and a half years, but am now back in the States.

Some mistakenly think the SL-1200 is a DJ table because it was adopted by so many DJs in the 80's and 90's thanks to its beefy design. The DD drive is no joke as they even have an SL-1200 in the London Museum of Technology as an example of innovative and proven design. The VPI was fabulous, but by selling it I was able to pick up several vintage Japanese tables. The SL-1200 is my primary right now.

It would be nice to try the UFO on your 88db speakers. You may be surprised. Efficiency is not the last word in synergy with an amp, so I can't say a UFO would drive them to your satisfaction, but I suspect it would do better than you'd assume.

I have tried my SE84C+ and my Mini Torii with multiple speakers ranging on the extremes from 81db (Kef 101 Ref) to 94db (Decware 945.) In between are my Sony SS-AL3 (86db), Yamaha NS-1000M (90db) and Sony SS-5050 (91db.) In the past I also tried Elac Debut 2 B6.2 (86db.) In every case, including my KEF, the result was less about tone and more about volume. Probably the only pairing I would caution against is the KEF because at this efficiency with these amps, they only work for near-field listening. All others will work, depending on how much volume you need.

I love my KEF 101 Refs so much I have two pair. You may know, they are closely related to an LS3/5a. I use one pair with my SE84C+ in my bedroom for near field. In that space at low volume, they sound amazing. This pairing would likely NOT work for most people. In that space, I generally want more relaxing and ambient music.

The other pair is hooked up to my Accuphase, where they sound way bigger than they should. 101s are not supposed to do bass. They are known for gorgeous midrange. I'm not a bassheads, but on my Accuphase, somehow it is there. This is especially true with acoustic music and jazz. To anyone interested in hearing an LS3/5a, find some 101s. They are half the price or less and highly rated.

I understand with the wait and desire to get the right thing the first time, you'd want to opt for something more powerful than the UFO. I would likely do the same thing. Unfortunately, I can't tell you first hand how the Decware PP amps sound. They get great reviews and will certainly remove the question of whether they'll work with your speakers. They may be the better option for you.

As you can see, I went a different route. SE for listening at lower volumes, quality SS when I want more volume. This solution doesn't work for all, but it might be a consideration.

Take care, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print