Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:15:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question regarding Zen Amp and REL subwoofer... (Read 3025 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Question regarding Zen Amp and REL subwoofer...
04/30/22 at 19:00:23

I have a Decware Zen UFO basic SET tube integrated amplifier, and I'd like to add a subwoofer to my speaker system; however, I'm not sure the product I want to use will work properly, or at all.

I want to use a Rel Acoustics T/Zero MKIII Subwoofer, a very small and unobtrusive sub off the speaker level outputs of the Zen, as that would be the only way it could feed a signal to the sub anyway.

The sub has a high level input that is a speak-on type socket, and the pinout is shown in the attached pic. As you can see, it only derives a ground from one side; that is, one of the channels. And I'm concerned that the Decware grounding scheme within the amp will not support this kind of set-up.

Any comments on this issue would be appreciated. Please, only qualified answers, no maybe's! I don't want to damage my Decware amp!

Thanks, Mark. (see pic)

Screenshot_2022-04-30_134609.jpg

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Re: Question regarding Zen Amp and REL subwoofer...
Reply #1 - 04/30/22 at 19:44:15

Hi Mark,

Excellent question, bonus point's for style. Think I know the answer, but lack the qualifications to respond. If you don't mind would like to add to your question.

How do you run a sub or subs when using two Zen amps as differential balanced mono's? This only applies using the high level input off of the speaker taps of the Zen amps.

Thanks

Also is differential balanced mono's the correct terminology when you bridge a stereo class A amp into a mono amp in a balanced system?

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/30/22 at 20:09:31

Right. It's the 'floating' ground scheme of the Zen that has me puzzled. Maybe someone with the right knowledge will chime in...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/30/22 at 20:33:58

Get 2 subwoofers is the best answer. Wink
Your system will sound better.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #4 - 04/30/22 at 20:38:55

Mark,

I ran this exact subwoofer connection. It works, but you will need to run a ground wire between the left and right negative terminals to stop the hum you will have.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/30/22 at 20:39:03

Hook 1 up as shown, if you get some noise, jumper across the negative posts.

Geno beat me to it.

Seriously, get 2, the RELs are tiny and can fit in tight spots.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/30/22 at 20:53:17

Geno,

With your sub set up, is there a difference in the way you go between your  Sansui and the mono's? Meaning using the amps speaker taps? Knowing how you source the Crowns input. With it being balanced mono's and the grounding side of a balanced system.

Thanks

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 04/30/22 at 22:28:20

Exactly the same with the Sansui and the monoblocs.

I have the two wires running from the Crown inputs, with a banana plug on the ends.

I also have wires with banana plugs coming from each positive terminal on the Sansui and also the proper positive taps on the monoblocs.

With stacking banana plugs, I just swap them out, depending on which amp is driving.

Best,

Geno

*Palominos ‘magic cables’ with a resistor in-line are the cables coming out of the Crown.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/30/22 at 22:51:18

Thanks Geno,

Owe you a fine non communist cigar.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #9 - 04/30/22 at 23:01:43

No thanks necessary. I’m just passing along what I learned on this forum. Without help here,  I would have had NO idea how to accomplish any of this.

So, always pay it forward.

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/01/22 at 01:13:36

+1 per Geno.  That is what he recommended for my Rel T7 and hooked up the way he described to my UFO 25th.  Otherwise you will get that hum.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/01/22 at 02:34:25

I run this same Rel sub with the Blue Torri with excellent results.

I connect the red cable to right/red positive, black cable to left/black negative, and blue or yellow, to red/right negative.  I think I have those right.  Works like a charm.

As I type I'm listening to Mark Knopfler's Fade To Black and it is breathtaking.

My 2 cents.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #12 - 05/01/22 at 04:42:41

KI have two Rel G2’s running off of my Mystery amp. And- I agree running two subs is the way to go, and connected as mentioned. I would suggest to get the highest up the Rel food chain that you can. I too started out with zero’s when I had Magnepans, and quickly went to a pair of T9’s. Then I just had to see an add for a used pair of G2’s for a great price. Bummer for me. As you go up in models, they carry on the speed of the smaller subs, but with more weight. The G2 is the most articulate that i’ve had. Still very fast and nimble. I now have Lii Audio Glory 10’s, which from what I hear are much faster than Magnepans, and the larger G2’s definitely blend very well. Stand up bass is quick and snappy, while the thump of a kick drum has weight and texture without being overpowering. If you have the room, and can wait to pickup a good deal on slightly used or maybe a demo pair I believe you would be rewarded for you patients. Or- you can do what I did and start out with one T-Zero and buy a second later, and upgrade as you go along. It’s kinda fun that way anyway, because then you get to experience your system change over time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print