03/29/24 at 09:23:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Se34I.6 bi-amping (Read 2014 times)
Eduardo
Verified Member

Se34I.6 bi-amping
04/30/22 at 16:52:35

Hi there. SE34I.6 could come with outlets for subwoofers that also could be used for bi-amping a pair of speakers. Has somebody tried it? Since the SE34I.6 hast 6wpc this could be a way to increase the power sent to the speakers. Mine are rated 90.5 db at 4-8 OHMS, so I was wondering if I could improve their performance by bi-amping.
Thanks

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Re: Se34I.6 bi-amping
Reply #1 - 04/30/22 at 17:08:41

I'd say yes.  your speakers are very borderline for this amp.  So are your speakers wired for bi-amping and where is the crossover point?  The obvious method is to use Rachel for the wonderful mids and highs and use a solid state amp for the relatively uninteresting and power thirsty bass.

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Eduardo
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 04/30/22 at 17:26:44

Thanks for your answer. I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G, they are bi-amping ready (don’t know how to say this). They have four posts at the back.

Is it there any power amplifier that you could recommend to use the bi-amp setting with the SE34I.6?  

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/01/22 at 19:40:04

All depends on your budget and preference.  I'm not a bass expert.  I tend to focus on the midrange.  But you'll want in integrated amp since the ss amp will likely be more powerful than the tube amp so you'll have to turn it down.  You can probably get by with a class D amp such as a Wired4sound.  but if I was doing this and had to buy and amp I'd do a lot of research to find a cost effective solution.  I have a coupld of spare amps hanging around the house.  

You might even get by with a reciever.  For example I have an Onkyo HD reciever sitting around that I would like to sell for $50 that is about 100w per channel. I'm sure it is class D and not especially good amp. But bass on the recording isn't expecially precise so I wonder if I could tell the difference.  I'd start there even if you have to borrow your AV amp for a test.
Jerry

Grimm MU1 Streamer
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Eduardo
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/01/22 at 20:06:18

I may do that to experiment, but the problem I think is the need for an external cross over and eliminating the internal cross over that is too much for me. Paul from PS Audio has some useful videos.
Cheers, Eduardo

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/02/22 at 14:57:43

Why do you think you need an external crossover?  The guys who think you need an external crossover are the guys who sell external crossovers.   your speakers have crossovers in them.  Assuming it is set up for biamping, the bass drivers have a low pass crossover and the mids/highs have a high pass crossover.  

Some people like to add an external crossover so they can play with the frequencies that go to each driver but that is only if you want to change the crossover point.  Generally that isn't needed since your speaker designer choose the crossover points that work well with your drivers.

jerry

Grimm MU1 Streamer
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Eduardo
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 05/02/22 at 15:51:26

I just was confused since I am new on this.

Thanks

E.

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/02/22 at 17:41:25

Lin,
I got your PM and responded that I stand by my post.   I invite you to explain here in the thread what you think is wrong.   If I am wrong, it won't be the first time, but it doesn't happen often, and I'm always willing to improve my knowledge base.  --Jerry

Grimm MU1 Streamer
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print