Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 12:40:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
T Bone Burnett to Introduce New Analog Technology (Read 5261 times)
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

T Bone Burnett to Introduce New Analog Technology
04/27/22 at 15:31:19

Producer T Bone Burnett has long promised the development of a new analog format that he promised would improve on both vinyl and CDs, as well as digital streaming and any other existing recorded music medium. Now, he appears closer to reaching that goal with the news that he has been in the studio with Bob Dylan, re-recording some of the legendary singer-songwriter’s classic songs with the purpose of introducing the new ultra-high-fidelity medium.

It's all in one note, just listen.
BicycleJoe

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Re: T Bone Burnett to Introduce New Analog Technology
Reply #1 - 04/27/22 at 15:32:55

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 04/27/22 at 15:51:41

Very cool! I had not heard about this.

I wonder if a special cart/stylus will be needed to play these? And what speed?

Thanks for posting!

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/27/22 at 16:24:41

Article was light on specifics but if I were going to release a higher fidelity medium I think I'd pick a different recording artist to highlight the medium.  To me, Dylan is too crude around the edges (and middle too) to really do justice to hi fidelity.  I guess he'd trying to appeal to a certain demographic.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/27/22 at 16:32:42

Seems rather foolish to me. I don't think it will end well.

I disagree a bit about Dylan, I don't find him crude, just focused on a certain sound, and as my system has improved so has the sound of his recordings, which proves a fidelity of a high nature imo. But yes, he's aiming at a certain demographic, and one that really isn't that obsessed about sonic quality in my experience. This is a financial venture that would be rather perilous in my estimation.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/27/22 at 16:40:30

Lon, I knew you'd differ about Dylan!   Wink

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #6 - 04/27/22 at 18:00:28

take a slow breath and remember what all wise philosophers say—
"condemnation without examination is prejudice"

The reason I find this so interesting is T-bone is such an audiophile and original analog studio equipment historian. Most recently my interest in direct to disc recording has been piqued because a friend of mine just got a Scully lathe with matching serial numbers, it's an original working piece. Deke Dickerson already has another non working piece that didn't have matching serial numbers. Another acquaintance, Peter Ledermann of Soundsmith is using a Neumann VMS70 lathe and board that does direct to disc, he records and issues limited editions for a children's charity. http://www.directgrace.org/Home.html  this sort of echoes the philosophy that Steve talks about in his design philosophy.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/27/22 at 18:27:56

Quote:
"condemnation without examination is prejudice"

A bit over the top, don't you think?  Why don't you point out the "condemnation" in the preceding posts?  BTW, your obvious sensitivity is itself prejudice.  So, take a deep breath and consider that.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/27/22 at 20:08:16

I have questions. RIAA curve? Will the band be in tune (see Queen Jane Approximately)? Will the recording be about precise sounds or nostalgia (see Gillian Welch)? Computer, digital or analog session media?  You can do wonders with a good 16 track 2” machine, Neve preamps and a solid Studer 2 track to mix down to, but will it be that?

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/27/22 at 20:39:01

How do you get people to buy the same recordings over and over and over? Create a new format! First the teaser with some "new" Dylan tracks and I predict the reissues will soon follow, incurring only a bit of remastering cost rather than studio time.

Seems like Neil Young and Pono had some of the same aspirations.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/27/22 at 20:44:17

Lacquer painted over aluminum? Sounds expansive. Current lacquer releases are $500 bucks, and lose high frequencies when exposed to temperature fluctuations—not to mention their questionable long term storage capabilities. Some claim they turn to dust (see Esposito vs. Fremer's exhaustive YouTube war on such things).

I'm not impressed. Keep on pressing 200 grams of wax and I'll remain happy.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #11 - 04/27/22 at 22:47:34

Three things:

1) What do they cost?

2) What special equipment is needed for playback?

3) How does the SQ compare with the already existing floormats?

I will hold off on judgement until then.

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #12 - 04/28/22 at 00:01:42

This is Michael Fremer’s slant on the pre-info on this:

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/has-t-bone-burnett-invented-indestructible-...

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 04/28/22 at 00:36:30

If MF is correct then this will be a hard pass for me -- like those $10K 300B tubes that were posted about a couple days ago.  You might as well hire an orchestra to play.  It might be cost effective by comparison and it will give truly "live" sound.   Smiley

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/28/22 at 04:42:01

Dylan is not only the best lyricist of our generation, but perhaps the best in the history of the world.  As the Lord giveth, so he taketh away.  Dylan never had a great voice, but adequate enough.  He played Maui in recent years and time has done his voice no favors.  His singing was simply atrocious and had no business at a professional performance.  It was like he gave up trying.  Would've been much better if he simply read the lyrics - or even lip synched.  Herman Munster could've sung better.  Even diehard Dylan fans were shaking their heads.

If I was trying to launch a revolutionary new analog format, current day one foot in the grave Dylan would literally the last place I'd turn in order to show off the new medium's sonic capabilities.  I could more understand remastering one of his classic albums.  Or better yet, select someone with genuine singing chops.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/28/22 at 06:40:32

DS, I 100% disagree with your first assertion but 100% agree with your second.  I generally like Dylan in the studio but live he sounds like a bad parody of himself.  Maybe he's the world's greatest troll?   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/28/22 at 13:31:58

From the looks, it might only require a stylus/cartridge change on turntables. Better put, it has a better chance to succeed using present day equipment.
The cost of the etching equipment and production of disks would make the 'new' medium pricey at first.
Lacquer is a hard finish that wears well if kept under certain conditions.
Never was a fan of Bob Dylan's rambling but thought his voice was recorded well. Bob may just be adding his preference to new options with material remastering if DS is correct on his poor performance as of late.
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/28/22 at 17:47:35

I think choosing Dylan is great marketing, just questionable art.

Who even comes close in the song writing department both for quantity and quality?

He is the Benjamin Franklin of song writing….

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/01/22 at 08:24:25

I'm betting this is silver wire-based recording. The "player" will fit flat against your wall and play spools. The sound will blow away even open-reel, and look sexy as the wire traverses multiple playback heads in a kind of brass-pipe steampunk configuration. Plus when the balloon goes up you can carry your music collection in your backpack and barter the spools for food or Chinese phrasebooks.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 07/08/22 at 21:51:11

It’s out, a single vinyl platter of “Blowin In The Wind”, at auction for £1.5 million.
https://apple.news/A6a0gfpc0T5GvPekUTQCifw

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #20 - 07/08/22 at 22:09:43

Offers? LOL original pressing sold for $400
Original, early 1960s Bob Dylan 45 of "Blowin' In The Wind" and "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right." This is on the Columbia label #42856 and it also has the even scarcer, orange stock labels!! This is a guaranteed original pressing; the matrix numbers are 'machine stamped' in the trailoff area of both sides. The vinyl is in absolutely beautiful near mint/unplayed condition!! Both labels look great also, with no writing or stickers on either. Comes with its original company sleeve; however, the record is now housed in a newer polylined/antistatic sleeve. Very hard to find this legendary Dylan single in high-end condition nowadays, especially with the stock labels!! Just super!!

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #21 - 07/08/22 at 22:21:58

More details https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10989603/ROBERT-HARDMAN-gets-exclusive-...

" Quote:
Dylan and his producer, Joseph ‘T-Bone’ Burnett, also regard it as yet another protest, in keeping with the long tradition of the song. For they have done this as a very pointed rejection of the state of the music industry.

The record has an estimated sale price between £600,000 and £1 million, but this may be on the conservative side

As Burnett argues, there have been two regrettable developments over the past 30 years or so.

First, the calibre of sound has simply got worse with the rise and rise of digital recordings. In short, online music ain’t a patch on vinyl. ‘Each evolution has brought a lowering of audio standards,’ he says in the video he has recorded to promote the sale.

Second, the switch from vinyl, cassette and CD to digital has made musicians considerably poorer and made internet gazillionaires ever richer. It is a source of eternal woe from the average music artist that they now receive a tiny percentage of what they would once have earned from record sales and royalties.

Mike Piersante, the music engineer who recorded and mixed the million-pound disc is more succinct: ‘We have watched as digital has dumbed down music in terms of sound quality and in terms of the ability to make music. This is a response to that.’

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #22 - 07/08/22 at 22:34:41

Video by T Bone Burnett on the Subject

https://youtu.be/50gaaA2JX20

IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #23 - 07/08/22 at 23:01:26

Archie Wrote

Quote:
A bit over the top, don't you think?  Why don't you point out the "condemnation" in the preceding posts?  BTW, your obvious sensitivity is itself prejudice.  So, take a deep breath and consider that.

Archie actually I wasn't addressing you specifically but if you insist I'll be your mirror.

To this I'll add
Quote:
“I've been all over the world and I've never seen a statue of a critic.”
― Leonard Bernstein

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #24 - 07/09/22 at 00:11:39

Archie has "Left the building".

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #25 - 07/09/22 at 11:27:10

Here's a short video of the actual auction the bidding at the Gavel going down.

https://youtu.be/91CEoO4BKnY

To me the whole thing reminds me of a counterfeit Banksy. It's DADA. It makes perfect sense as a work of art and a statement.  

And the punchline is it's an acetate. A first step in the analog reproduction process. But on steroids with NASA technology.

Quote:
"It takes an honest man to live outside the law. - Alias"

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print