Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:30:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thomas & Stereo Decware Torrii MK5 (Read 4327 times)
jec3504
Ex Member

Thomas & Stereo Decware Torrii MK5
04/20/22 at 15:11:56

IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Re: Thomas & Stereo Decware Torrii MK5
Reply #1 - 05/16/22 at 13:02:25

Sorry, feeling a bit mischievious tonight, but it's been a month since this thread went up, no feedback so far.

Which does not surprise me. At. All. There is a "point" buried in this review (and isn't Thomas great?) that has gotten me into trouble many times on the forums when I was dumb enough to timidly bring it up.

I ran across Decware by accident, read up on it, made a purchasing decision, and I'm happy with where I am, waiting, waiting. Had the site said "2 year waiting list" in big letters up front I would not have ordered, probably.

Now that my 24 months are 18 months, I can't cancel, I'd lose my place in line. And I'm sure I'll be happy with what comes to my door. But I'm not a member of the generation who ordered from DW and got their amps in 6 months, and not the kind of person to say (and this is an actual quote from the How Long Have You Waited thread) "The longer it takes to deliver, the more I know my amp will be worth it! I love it!" I mean, this is not a customer, it's a cult member.

Thomas is no cult member.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/16/22 at 13:17:50

Yes, it's really hard to imagine waiting over a year for an amp from Decware. It's been about 25 years for me now since I first bought the 27th amp that Steve built. Most of my components I waited about an average of 3 months to get, then the last third took me about six months and I had a pair of speakers that took about seven to get.

Now I'm on the waiting list for a 300B Sarah and I know it will take a long time. Can't say I'm happy about it. I'd love to hear it in my home far sooner. But I am also in the envious position of having three systems, one which is a spaceship powered by Decware to take me to a new frontier, the others each having Decware components, and I am not deprived of fantastic sound while I wait.

I can't realistically put myself in the shoes of someone with such a long wait for their first Decware products. I think tubes and cabling are likely the only thing that one can get speedily. It's a new paradigm for old timers and an unfortunate state of affairs for new buyers and I'm sure a frustration for the company.

Which makes it a near perfect fit for this disappointing and frustrating decade. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/16/22 at 13:47:15

Lon, we're on a roll. Cue the Defenders of Steve, none of whom he needs.

I recently and foolishly made a comment elsewhere that DW's speaker cabinets should be built in China, because speed. The first reaction was so scary I haven't gone back there. I'm not pal of China, but they have factories. Don't we have factories?

"Made in the USA" is great, "Made in in small workshops that nurture small town America" is a bit different. I like small town America, and I love the idea of a life supported by a backyard woodshop I can amble out to in the morning with my coffee. But when it comes to DW, I'm a customer, not a craftsperson, and I don't want to wait a year for a speaker. I mean, come on.

Which is why I expected little reaction to the Thomas review.

OK, shutting up.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/16/22 at 13:51:24

I won't let you get me started. Wink And it wouldn't be against some of your points.

I hadn't watched the video before today. I am not at all in the habit of watching videos on YouTube. . . something about YouTube turned me off when it first became popular and I just rarely go there. But it was an interesting review, and thought-provoking as your post proves.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/16/22 at 15:22:24

Quote:
But I am also in the envious position of having three systems

having envy is a childish emotion, and assuming one is in that position is narcissistic and arrogant.

but please do do carry on with the "i, i, i / me, me, me" as always.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/16/22 at 15:25:05

Ah, the usual hostile unnecessary post.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 05/16/22 at 17:13:54

Everyone here needs to calm down a bit.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/16/22 at 23:43:05

Lon,

Thanks for your post, very cool to hear your thoughts on it. Hopefully you long time experienced and respected members of the forum don't get discouraged from the popularity and growth of Deware.

Brad,

Have respect for you and your opinions. Come on brother your are my Torii go to guy! Don't know what's up between you and Lon. It's a little much sometimes. Just saying you know.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/17/22 at 19:54:36

Decfest needs a boxing ring this year. Forum members willing to resolve grievances in the ring will get the chance to be moved to the front of the waitlist. Well, he who wins, that is.

I'm still waiting for some forum members to review the MKV!

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/17/22 at 23:57:19

Wish piezoman was getting his sooner than later. Sure he's going to have some good feedback on his Torii.

Funny 15 months ago I was on the fence about ordering a Decware amp. My wife knew I wanted a tube amp. She went ahead and placed an order for a UFO2. Remember her saying " the people on the forum were very passionate".

Sure would be nice to see more talk about the Torii MK5.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/18/22 at 01:55:59

Bluemage wrote on 05/17/22 at 19:54:36:
Decfest needs a boxing ring this year. Forum members willing to resolve grievances in the ring will get the chance to be moved to the front of the waitlist. Well, he who wins, that is.

Holmgang, maybe?
In ancient times, the Vikings called it a square, not a ring and not a canvas floor either. Solid ground and all from both sides surrounded the opponents with dull staffs in hand. Any combatant too close to the sides of the square was poked back into the middle of the arena using the staffs, for all to see.

Not sure we're there yet, since those squares were final.

Where I come from, it was horseshoes, roping or knife and axe throwing. Maybe we can come up with something where both survive the altercations.
Maybe a fart lighting contest or something?
That will surely end a hissy pissy cat fight that started over nothing.
You think you can fart better, Big Boy? Let's throw it down right now!

Grin

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/18/22 at 02:10:01

I get what you're saying Bluemage!

I don't really need the distractions. I'm here to learn and maybe have some fun doing so.

Making one online "freind" somewhere, with common interests, would be a great day.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/18/22 at 04:17:33

Yes, lots of great folks on here for sure! I've learned a lot, and even the skirmishes can be entertaining at times.

And compared to a lot of webforums, disputes seem to be pretty vanilla around here--civilized if you will. At the end of the day, I'd like to think that all Decware folks have one another's backs. Even in spite of our differences.

IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/18/22 at 04:34:00

I dug Thomas' review of the MKV, but I ultimately decided to switch to the 300b. With 102db speakers, I think the MKV will be overkill, and the 300 should have enough balls whilst maintaining that sweet triode tone.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/19/22 at 19:09:23

I would like for you to expound upon that decision making process, when you have the time to spare.

I have only heard 300B amps a few times and they were better than OK.
One was even a cheapie Chinese, I would say built more to be Shiny than to impress with quality and it had circuit boards. Even that one was "OK."
I am intrigued by the thought of Decware simplicity applied to that platform.

I know "only" Steve has heard his new amp. I am wondering how you came to the decision to change your order.

Not judging, just curious about your experiences.

IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/29/22 at 01:34:12

My buddy has been trying to convince me for years to get a Decware. He has the mk3 with Zu speakers. Sounds great and I decided years ago that it’s probably time. My stereo is 27 years old so it was time. Read a review and saw a 3-4 month wait and just sort of forgot about it. My buddy visited and lit the fire. I’d chop off a pinky for 3-4 months! Oh well. Waited this many years. What’s one more. The wait for the mk5, csp3, zrock and speakers will be long but hopefully a system that takes me to the END!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print