Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 01:20:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Substitute For Input (Read 1771 times)
jcmusic
Verified Member

Tube Substitute For Input
04/16/22 at 12:25:25

I been listening to my UFO amp with all stock tubes except the 80 globe rectifier. Now i would like to try something different in the input position.
I know some have tried 6SN7's and others I have the adapter for that but, I am curious as to what tubes created what sound changes? Your thoughts please...

Jay

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Tube Substitute For Input
Reply #1 - 04/16/22 at 13:22:56

I'm not sure how to answer that as each system is different, each room, each listener etc.

I am using 6SN7 in my main system as the input tubes for my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks and in all three signal positions in my CSP3 and CSP2+ and as the input position in my Taboo Mk IV.

Compared to other input choices I find they give a touch more "body" to the overall sound and also just a bit more of a warm top end. These are two things that my systems can enjoy. I've tried a number of brands and types and like the taller RCA especially with Gray Glass--they seem to have the most natural tone and good "dimensional" characteristics.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 04/16/22 at 16:49:43

Quote:
Posted by: jcmusic      Posted on: Today at 12:25:25
...but, I am curious as to what tubes created what sound changes? Your thoughts please...

Like Lon says, you can't really talk about what tubes created what sound, because everyone is different, and even different years or versions of the same tube sound different. So you've really got to try them yourself and see what you think. There are literally hundreds of threads on the forum about tube rolling so I'd encourage you to look at them, but IMO if you want to experiment with input tubes without spending a bunch of money I'd suggest the PCC189 and ECC189 as a place to start.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
jcmusic
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/17/22 at 11:55:32

Ok guys thanks, I understand that everything will be a  little different I was just looking for a basic starting point or what most others have found as tubes they like. I guess I will just start trying the 6SN7 tubes that I already have...

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/27/22 at 17:11:35

I just swapped a 5z3 for a Mod 80 coke bottle rectifier (good globe 80s are to rich for my blood as I'm still in the learning phase).  It sounded really soft with my favorite  the Amperex input tube with the 5z3.  I played with the bios and the Ohm switches and just couldn't get it to sound right.

I replaced the Amperex with a Sylvania that I previously didn't like because it was to bright and harsh.  The magic is back.  

It's about synergy.  I'll now go back thru all the previous tubes that didn't make the cut last time and see if they're better now.  

I'm not ready for output tube swapping yet.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print