Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:03:08 

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
Send Topic Print
DECWARE 300B Amp development thread (Read 126311 times)
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Re: Sarah's Home!
Reply #900 - 03/20/23 at 20:26:04

host a picture [img]" alt="" title="" border="0" />

Just off the UPS truck.

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Re: DECWARE 300B Amp development thread
Reply #901 - 03/20/23 at 20:50:19

Congrats!  Looks good….what color is the wood btw?

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Bakoon AMP-51R > Deville SQ
[Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP adio]
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #902 - 03/20/23 at 20:52:31

Base is Walnut, top plate is Khaki, tan!

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #903 - 03/20/23 at 20:56:38

Congrats! Please keep us posted with impressions.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #904 - 03/20/23 at 23:24:13

Congrats!!!

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #905 - 03/20/23 at 23:50:29

Congratulations let the fun begin!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #906 - 03/21/23 at 01:19:01

Congratulations!!! So so happy for ya! Looking forward to your impressions!

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #907 - 03/21/23 at 01:52:33

Whoa- very nice.... when you get some time can you please describe the rest of your system and what other amps you have or had in the past that you can compare to.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #908 - 03/21/23 at 02:52:25

That is one very nice-looking Sarah.  Like everyone, I look forward to hearing your impression.  Congratulations.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #909 - 03/21/23 at 13:43:43

Just curious, anyone no the reason for mounting the tube sockets on the topside?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #910 - 03/21/23 at 13:49:49

I don't know. I like it!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #911 - 03/22/23 at 18:44:20

I think this was mentioned in page 15, but if you run a Sarah in Mono, is the output power doubled to 8-14wpc? And would the tubes life expectancy burn at double the rate (even though the life of a 300b is rated for a long time)

But also most importantly; sound.  Not sure if there has ever been 2 Sarahs run in mono on the bench…

Just me being curious… Wink

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #912 - 03/22/23 at 19:49:29

Quote:
Posted by: Low325      Posted on: Today at 10:44:20

I think this was mentioned in page 15, but if you run a Sarah in Mono, is the output power doubled to 8-14wpc?

That is correct.

Quote:
And would the tubes life expectancy burn at double the rate (even though the life of a 300b is rated for a long time)

No. Tubes run the same, you're just using two tubes per channel instead of one for twice the power.

Quote:
But also most importantly; sound.  Not sure if there has ever been 2 Sarahs run in mono on the bench

I think it would be mostly the same, just more watts. Now, if you were to use them as balanced mono blocs (like I did with my UFOs) and you have a quality balanced source, then I think you may very well get more of stuff like detail and dynamics. But you're right, I'm pretty sure no one has heard a pair of Sarahs. I encourage you to be the first!

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #913 - 03/23/23 at 16:54:13

"Just a note to let you know the status of your SEWE300B order has been updated to: Shipped"

Man, those 598 days flew by....I am finally allowing myself to get excited!!

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #914 - 03/23/23 at 17:00:02

Congrats! Can't wait for your impressions!

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #915 - 03/30/23 at 19:17:49

Andrew Robinson reviewed a bunch of Schitt products today and compared the Aegir to his beloved Decware SE84UFO25.  The Decware amp came out on top.  Someone in the comments mentioned if he was going to get the Sarah 300b in for review—I’ve screenshotted his response:

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #916 - 03/30/23 at 19:25:58

Wow. That's an interesting statement and yes, I see lots of shade tossed Decware's way due to the length of the waiting list (as if they are doing something shady. . . ?)

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #917 - 03/30/23 at 20:26:42

I think it’s a bit unfair.  It’s a small company where quality is paramount over quantity.  It is what it is.  You can review the product and let people know that there is a long wait and leave it up to them to decide whether they want to wait or not.

IP Logged
Catfood
Verified Member

Reply #918 - 03/31/23 at 00:25:07

I think its perfectly fair.  What irks me most is not that the wait is so long, it's that they charge a nonrefundable deposit at the time of ordering.  It costs them zero to put you on the waiting list.  They don't incur any cost until it's time to pull parts for your order, so they shouldn't be requiring ANY deposit until shortly before that.  And there's no guarantee that 2 years from now their current lineup of amps will still be available.  By the time your order is up for parts pulling, you may have to choose something else that you don't really want or sacrifice your deposit.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #919 - 03/31/23 at 02:42:43

With all due respect—-I see it differently.  I don’t fault Decware for requiring some skin in the game to have (or at least attempt to have) serious buyers on the list.  Otherwise, a free for all would make the list much larger than it already is—full of ppl who are just putting their name and not really interested in buying.  This will make it logistically harder for the small business to manage.  It takes a human to enter and manage all these names and deal with customer service requests.  

Most, if not all, prospective Decware customers know what they are in for.  Nobody is putting a proverbial gun to our heads to get in line for such a long time. As long as Andrew flags that—it’s up to his viewers to decide whether that wait is worth their time and money.  His stance is that it impacts him negatively because his viewers will have issue with him reviewing a product that has an extended wait time and make it worse..ergo Decware should fix it—-is a bit bonkers to me.  If anything, he would be lucky to be one of few YouTubers  to get access to this special amp  and that will only add to his channels cache. He is trying to take a moral high ground—where none exists.  Don’t get me wrong—He is one of my favorite reviewers—I just disagree with his stance on this particular subject.

My 2 cents.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #920 - 03/31/23 at 03:31:57

Drew Robinson should work his side of the street and let DECWARE work theirs.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Catfood
Verified Member

Reply #921 - 03/31/23 at 05:27:03

Some good points, Kamran.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #922 - 03/31/23 at 13:10:31

So....Andrew Robinson reviews a different Decware amp and continues to mention these amps in other reviews, all the while knowing that there was a lengthy waiting list without any reservations. But now all of a sudden he grows a conscience and believes he's performing some sort of public service?

My first questions are: was he offered the use of a Sarah 300B to conduct a review but turned down the offer? Did he request one and was denied? Is he butt-hurt because his competitor Steve Guttenberg was able to review the amp but not him?

It's hard for me to form an opinion without some more facts...but on the face of it I respect Mr. Robinson less now.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #923 - 03/31/23 at 13:41:28

What the hell is Steve supposed to do? Build a new factory? Have three 8 hour shifts at the plant? Maybe Drew Robinson wants to come over and sling some solder.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #924 - 03/31/23 at 13:56:09

Personally I expect Steve to make important changes slowly and surely to expedite in a controlled manner. I may be wrong, but I can't help but think that he "thinks on these things" (to quote a book title of a work that was important to me). Still small changes can help but not destroy the backlog--it's way too large and growing. The sad aftereffects of strategic gushing reviews--and to some extent a global pandemic.

It does create a dliemna. When I see persons on another board ask about SET amps and tube amps they want to get I hesitate and in most cases refrain from recommending Decware. . . because these people expect to have a change made in weeks or a month or two, and are not going to be inclined to wait two years or maybe more. And darn it, you know that a Decware product is exactly what would be great for them. But why call attention to the wait list. . . on other forums I've seen that just lead to insults and total nonsense about Steve and the company. And though we cognoscenti can ignore that, as we know disinformation does damage.

IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #925 - 03/31/23 at 15:01:12

AR put the hook line out there for Decware [or other] to pay the AR ‘fee’ or whatever it is…to me i see this as a slimy tactic, and this is just how I see most YT channels.

This is just my opinion, and have totally asked YT to stop sending me his vids years ago, lol

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #926 - 03/31/23 at 22:14:57

What are you talking about?

55   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #927 - 03/31/23 at 22:33:39

I really don't give much credence to audio equipment reviewers. Most of the magazines review insanely priced systems and measurements just don't translate to great sound IMHO. The only reviewer I enjoyed reading was the late Art Dudley, who started Listener Magazine and then wrote/edited for Stereophile.

I find a lot of insights and listening observations from equipment owners to be more grounded, especially for online equipment companies. I also find small boutique company owners, like Steve, offer an incredible resource in helping make a decision.

Cheers,

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #928 - 04/04/23 at 13:58:18

I am actually a bit perplexed that any Decware amplifier is being sent out for review at this time, given the current situation.

When the lockdown hit, thousands of companies had no idea how that would affect their business and most, understandably, expected the worst.

Steve explained that he had not sought a review for a long time because of prior bad experience (explained some time earlier), but in expectation of sinking demand and slowing orders (as did everybody else) he decided to try the review venture once again. Seemingly no one anticipated that all that time at home would effectively mean all that time on the internet, where money could still be spent, and many hours available to look for new places to spend it.

Everybody on the forums at that time (or soon after) knows what happened next.

I think it should be obvious by now that the current order status constitutes a new paradigm, 'the new normal,' and not just a temporary bump in orders. I understand (unlike some others) that ramping up production does not happen overnight. This (Decware) is Peoria, not Chicagoland, 150 miles NE. Even aside the existing labor shortage most everywhere, capable techs aren't coming out of the woodwork in such a location.

Which makes it all the more perplexing that a stratagem used to ramp up business when it was thought to be needed (again, understandably so at the time), and succeeded so famously in that endeavor, is still being used even when the business is now overwhelmed by ever increasing saturation of new orders.

With out getting into any speculative extrania regarding ethics, morality, or other melodrama musings -

It just makes no sense, plain and simple.

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #929 - 04/04/23 at 16:22:17

I understand where you're coming from, edsonic.

However, I have 0 issues with Steve sending products out for reviews. Steve and co deserve recognition for their hard work and designs. I have a long wait ahead of me, but I knew that going in. Can't wait to get my Sarah.

Arguments in regard to ethics and morality are ridiculous. Decware is very transparent about wait times. No one is forcing anyone to click the buy. If someone isn't happy with the wait, that's ok. They can move on to something that's more readily available.

Cheers,
Drew

VPI Prime, Ortofon Bronze/Black, ZP3, ZROCK2, Rachael (SE34I.5), Caintuck Audio Lii F-15 Open Baffles
  IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #930 - 04/06/23 at 00:51:14

Quote:
Posted by: CAJames      Posted on: 03/22/23 at 19:49:29

I think it would be mostly the same, just more watts. Now, if you were to use them as balanced mono blocs (like I did with my UFOs) and you have a quality balanced source, then I think you may very well get more of stuff like detail and dynamics. But you're right, I'm pretty sure no one has heard a pair of Sarahs. I encourage you to be the first!  

If I can get Steve and Sarah to autograph/sign them both that would be great!  :D

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #931 - 04/17/23 at 13:42:14

I'm hoping those who have the amp at home now will start weighing in with impressions and experiences!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #932 - 04/17/23 at 13:53:51

On the Hoffman forum they're still bashing Steve and his business practices and the latest attack is oddly on the output transformers he designed and uses.

"They're too small to be effective." They claim the conventional wisdom is air-gapped transformers for SET amps should be much larger. As if all of us using amps with these transformers are experiencing terrible defective sound.

I'm doing my best to hold off and not respond. I'm accused of having a "financial interest" in Decware because I respond against misinformation and insults about the company. I guess it's a bad thing now to stand up for the truth and respect. Sigh. I guess they're all happy with their cheaper and/or more conventional amps. More, I think they're jealous.

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #933 - 04/17/23 at 14:15:17

Lon,

I lack the technical knowledge to know if what they're saying has merit. All I know is I'm extremely happy with my Decware gear/sound. I've come across forums bashing Decware.

It's amazing how childish some people in the hi-fi space can be. I suppose it's just human nature.

Cheers,
Drew

VPI Prime, Ortofon Bronze/Black, ZP3, ZROCK2, Rachael (SE34I.5), Caintuck Audio Lii F-15 Open Baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #934 - 04/17/23 at 14:25:37

Yes Drew, I think the real problem as is so true in many fields today is a "closed mind." Sure, conventionally it seems the transformers were larger. But in so many fields old methods change and new ideas lead to differing products and processes. Steve has an open mind for new audio ideas and methods and it probably scares and puts off those with minds more closed. We know these transformers are not lacking in any way and may be in fact better transformers than "conventional" ones in this use.

IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #935 - 04/18/23 at 04:31:22

Did Sarah make it out to Axpona? If so, did anyone get to hear it?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #936 - 04/20/23 at 21:24:57

The amp did make it to AXPONA in room 612 where the new Cryotone speakers were debuted.  Both the speakers and the amplifier were a big hit.

Several manufactures approached me about using our amplifiers in their rooms for next year.  That should tell you something. : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #937 - 04/20/23 at 21:33:49

As for the Hoffman forum it goes without saying that I am a little disappointed that this is still going on.  Not surprised, but disappointed.

On the other hand people freaked out about the waiting list I can certainly understand.  I have prepared a statement regarding our waiting list that will hopefully be of some use.

The DECWARE WAITING LIST.

Decware is a small boutique company that creates hand made amplifiers and loudspeakers of an exceptional level and sells them wholesale to the public.  This has been our business model since 1996 when we went online with www.decware.com

During the past 25 years Decware has never had to advertise, the success came from word of mouth from satisfied customers in over 54 countries.

Our business and products evolved around a consistent pool of orders that averaged 100 people at any given time.  The wait time to get an amplifier ran around 10 ~ 12 weeks.

Decware has been a well kept secret for 25 years until Covid 19 hit in 2020.  No business at that time knew what the future held. We have an obligation to not only our employees and contractors, but to our customers whom we extend indefinite after sale support too.

So in an effort to make sure our sales didn’t decline during the pandemic, we sent our 2 watt Zen Triode amplifiers out for review which basically let the cat out of the bag. Our order list doubled and then tripled in only months while people were trapped indoors with nothing to do but listen to their hifi rigs. In the two years since that time it has continued to grow to insane numbers — now over 2000 people on it despite the fact that we have doubled our production the first year and then doubled it again this year.

We will continue to hand build these amps with a lifetime warranty vs. mass producing them using circuit boards like most manufactures.  That means that the wait time is not going to change any time in the near future.  

We are charging a 10% non-refundable deposit with full disclosure and access to our real time build list.  This is because:

Despite what you might think it actually does cost a fair amount of money to enter your order with all the custom options and get those parts made.  Many orders involve several emails and or phone calls where we spend time helping you select the best gear for your situation at the time of your order and again as the situation changes during the wait.  

Without a deposit the list would explode in size with people who wish to hold a place on the list until the very end and then often cancel their order.  We don’t have the time or the manpower to cover all the phone calls and emails associated with a 2 year wait just to cancel it.  The ones who complain online about this are the very ones who would do it.

We will make sure your order was worth the long wait.

Orders can be changed without loosing your place in the list.  As well, if we come out with a newer version of the item you ordered, you will automatically be upgraded at no additional cost as this has always been our policy.

Reviews will continue to occasionally happen because those who are on the list enjoy having some confirmation that what they are waiting for is the best.

For those of you who have irreconcilable issues with the fact that our list is so long — you are invited to do something about it by bringing yourself to Decware with soldering iron in hand and seeing if you have what it takes to join our team.

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #938 - 04/20/23 at 21:35:42

Great post Steve, thanks.

It just goes from worse to worse on that thread about the SEWE300B in the Hoffman forum. I've withdrawn from it and hope to stay away.

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #939 - 04/20/23 at 21:36:07

Amen!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #940 - 04/21/23 at 15:02:05

As I suspected Steve's post about the wait list was posted on the Hoffman thread and it just added fuel to the fire.

Jealousy and insecurity seem to rule the anti-Decware crowd. Sigh. We know better and are fortunate.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #941 - 04/21/23 at 16:58:50

Wow, did Mr. Deckert just openly invite clowns like me to attempt to assemble their own 300B masterpiece? I think I’d have to update my iron, I solder so infrequently that I still use one that I got for a Heathkit metronome build in the early ‘70’s. But I think I’d be better suited to installing heat shrink tubing with a heatgun. Who am I fooling, Steve probably wouldn’t want me working a broom at his place.  Just the rambling thoughts of someone still on page 7.

As goofy as I am, my money still spends, Ralph

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #942 - 04/21/23 at 17:33:44

Love that pic!
Grin
I'm pretty sure that his tongue was deeply embedded in his cheek as he wrote that and yet made the announcement worldwide that some qualified help would be considered.

I do better with a shovel than a broom (horticultural enthusiast) and heat shrinkedness is next to Godliness in my book.
My old '60s era Weller iron I bought used as a teen still works like a champ!
I have replaced the power cable on it about twenty years ago and the soldering tip about fifty times, but not a single missed step that was not my own. I could solder a battery cable with that beast.
Cool
Yes, I also have a very small, low power, low voltage, delicate pencil type iron from the '90s that I use also, but I've only had to replace the tip twice on that little piece of jewelry.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #943 - 04/21/23 at 19:01:12

I do just a tiny bit of DIY stuff. Usually for myself, and many times I end up selling it. I love to build, so that is the way things go on. What almost no one seems to realize is that making even one kit or design, takes incredible patience for me. Just one point of every build is the soldering. Prepping the wire, and making sure that you didn't forget to put the heatshrink on first, takes time. Funny thing is, that even if you get it all right, it doesn't always look professional. Most people don't even know what they are looking at, or what to look for during/after these builds.
So, what I am trying to relay is, I cannot in my wildest imagination, wrap my head around how much energy alone it must take to make, not dozens, but hundreds of products on a yearly basis. Then as if it is magic or maybe a curse, to have that amplified by word of mouth over time.
Seems like there should be a time and pause just to breath. Can't serve everybody forever.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Low325
Verified Member

Reply #944 - 04/21/23 at 19:54:13

I was born with a soldering iron in my hand…!  My dad is/was a double E.  And he was the community fixit guy…so I took a lot of my DIY after him.

I used to solder wires directly to D cell batteries to car bulbs i took from my dad’s tool shed, in between, a standard switch so I can have a flashlight during blackouts….

Or take apart my Stompers Trucks (anyone remember those in the 80s?) to pull out the motor, solder it up wires and light bulbs (again - taken from my dads tool shed) and hook it up to my bike wheel to generate voltage back to my “new” bike headlight…:P

Ahh, those were the times…. Now im just a grumpy dude working in a software company…sigh.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #945 - 04/22/23 at 02:10:41

Stompers! Stompers! 4x4! Yes, I remember them well. However, the path you took was the opposite of mine. The day I learned to use a screw driver to REMOVE screws, that was my dad's worst nightmare. I took everything apart, I had to see how things worked. If I couldn't put it back together, I shoved it in the back of the kitchen junk drawer. Let's just say I had lot's of explaining to do. I'm still hiding things I can't fix, because someday maybe I'll figure it out.

I'm good enough to make my own cables, crossovers or simple stuff but showing up at Steve's would only slow the whole thing down while I shove mistakes into drawers!

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #946 - 04/22/23 at 03:13:47

Quote:
and making sure that you didn't forget to put the heatshrink on first, takes time

Amen and laughed my ass off.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #947 - 04/22/23 at 04:08:11

Yes, this is the sticking point because the only way to really achieve a shorter waiting list at this point is to make gear that doesn't sound as good. Addressing these issues is something you would say to a factory that mass produces product. We can't mass produce it, we can't use circuit boards. Decware is an artisan product that is hand made. That's why it sounds better.  In the land of hifi hand made point-to-point is largely unknown until you get into the 6 figure club of which there are very few members. Ironically those manufactures only build a couple amps a year so they have no where near the experience of Decware. As for new product development, that has been throttled way back since Covid 19 blew things up. But now there is a shift taking place because while our amplifier waiting list continues to lengthen as more and more people hear about it, several models on our speaker waiting list are delivering much sooner since we've expanded our woodworking capabilities.

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #948 - 04/22/23 at 23:12:19

You tell’’em Steve—Great post!

Also, glad you got to connect with Guttenberg one on one! I was wondering whether he stopped by the room. Any news when Sarah review part 2 is going to drop?

IP Logged
DrewDays

Reply #949 - 04/26/23 at 19:18:48

Addressing these issues is something you would say to a factory that mass produces product. We can't mass produce it, we can't use circuit boards. Decware is an artisan product that is hand made. That's why it sounds better.

This.

I think this is the main point people are overlooking. There are plenty of other companies people can look to if they want gear now and are unwilling to wait for an artisan product.

Decware is Decware because Decware is Decware. That's why I happily hopped on the waitlist for Steve and Co's 300B.

Cheers to Team Decware!
Thank you for all your hard work. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
Send Topic Print