Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 16:20:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone tried Tekton speakers? (Read 3540 times)
flargosa

Anyone tried Tekton speakers?
04/10/22 at 23:49:53

Anyone tried Tekton speakers?  Their Perfect SET speakers are designed for low powered SET speakers and supposedly pairs very well with tube amps.  Steve Gutenberg tried the Tekton with his Decware amp and says it sounds good.  Just wondering if anyone else have tried it.  The design seems to be quite interesting. The SET speakers has no midrange drivers, instead the tweeters do all the work 400hz up.  It also plays > 90db per watt.

Sources: 2Qute, Hugo 2, Rega P5, Marantz SACD 8005.
Amps: Decware SE84UFO2, Torii, Nelson Pass Aleph, Elekit 8600s
Speakers: Tekton, Golden Ear Triton Two, HD800S.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Re: Anyone tried Tekton speakers?
Reply #1 - 04/11/22 at 01:20:41

Hello-
I previously had a pair of Moabs driven by my Mystery 25th amp. Although the combination sounded very good, but for me, in my room, I'm enjoying my current Lii Audio Origin S-10 driven by the Mystery amp much more. They are more transparent, faster, better mid range, and they image better. I have a pair of REL G2 subs, and they blend with the subs better as well. Never had speakers based on a full range driver before these. I've had Magnepans, as well as the Tektons and I haven't looked back.

IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #2 - 04/11/22 at 07:46:10

What types of music do you listen to with the lil Audio speakers?  I have owned Omega speakers in the past, also full range.  I really enjoyed it as well, the midrange was very good, but soon ran into full range limitations with certain genres of music and movies.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #3 - 04/12/22 at 01:49:41

I mainly listen to different types of rock (classic, contemporary, progressive) with some jazz, bluegrass and electronica thrown in. I had my system set up to run home theater as well, but now its dedicated 2 channel.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/13/22 at 01:49:44

I have the Tekton 2-10 Perfect SET, with the Beryllium tweeter and wiring upgrade (Cardas inputs, Mil-Spec wiring, Mundorf Caps, Erse Sledgehammer inductors).

While my Torii Mk5 is on order my system consists of:
  • iFi Zen Stream (with iFi iPower power supply and quality USB cable to DAC);
  • S.M.S.L. VMV D1se DAC (On DAC setting not PreAmp which bypasses the crappy volume control, with quality balanced interconnects to preamp);
  • Schiit Freya+ Preamp (Decware DSR3 interconnects to amp, NOS Sylvania 6SN7 GTBs and PSVANE CV-181T T-Collection tubes, soon to modded with V-Cap ODAM caps and AudioNote Non-magnetic Silver Tantalum resistors);
  • S.M.S.L. VMV A1 Class A Amplifier (Volume set at 67 to 69 only for "Pure Class A", 10W into 8ohms);
  • GR Research 24-strand Speaker Cables; and
  • Emotiva CMX6 Power Distribution System with 10ga OCC power cables throughout.

These speakers sound amazing in my small lightly treated room, and are worth every bit of the $3k I paid. Separation, clarity, realism, staging, 3-d imaging, bass, midrange, treble...everything is outstanding. I strongly doubt I'll find them lacking when my Decware amp gets here....I should be done.

"Realism" can't be overstated enough...these truly make it sound as if the singers and musicians are right there in the room with you. I've been a musician for 53 years, and I'm not exaggerating in the least. An upright bass doesn't just sound like a bass, ALL of the sounds, noises, resonances, timber, toe taps and grunts...it's all there. Then a little ways away there is an actual drum kit. Over there is a saxaphonist....simply amazing.

The six outside tweeter-sized drivers perform the midrange duties, while the center tweeter handles the traditional tweeter freqs. I have the 2-10 Subs on order too; not that the Perfect SETs are lacking in bass, but...it's just personal preference.

That being said, I came very close to spending that $3k on the Li Audio speakers, and I'm confident they would sound incredible as well.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/13/22 at 02:34:28

Your Tekton's sound nice! I have a pair of NS-1000M with beryllium tweeter and mid in storage. Can't wait to pull them back out once I get to my next permanent duty station.

Some say they can sound harsh, but I think the beryllium is very discerning of amp typology. Tubes are best, but class A SS is next best in my experience. Interesting that that's what you are using as well. I'm sure they will sound even better once you get you Torii. My Yammies sounded great with my Mini Torii.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #6 - 04/13/22 at 04:19:23

Ghostship, what made you decide on Beryllium tweeters and have you compared it to Tektons with regular tweeters?   What speakers have you compared your Tekton 2-10 with?  How is the bass resolution with low watt amps?

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/13/22 at 23:23:22

I chose the Beryllium for the sound...I knew it would be an improvement for the music I listen to, my system, and my room...cleaner, brighter, more sparkle and extension.

I did not compare them to Tektons without the Beryllium, although I have heard the A/B comparison in other speakers.

I didn't choose these strictly on a "they sound better than all the rest" metric; I had size and space restrictions to contend with. I would have preferred open-baffle speakers like the Spatial Audio X5's, but would have been forced to shove them against a wall destroying the sound. I was also strongly considering the Li Audio speakers, but they were just too large (it was literally a matter of inches). I've also heard Klipsch Forte and Cornwalls, Maggies, Focal, Kef, and others. Compared to all of them, the Tekton sound amazing and are perfect for my specific needs...your mileage may vary.

These speakers are specifically designed for bass resolution, weighting and damping with low-powered tube amps. There are three versions of this speaker now: the Perfect SET15 is for flea-watt amps (1 to 3 watts, 8 max), the Perfect SET with the 12" transducer (8 to 15 watts), and the 2-10 Perfect SET was designed for EL-34 based amps in the 12 to 30 watt range. Hearing is believing...the bass is accurate, articulate and fast.

I decided on the Zen Torii MK5 paired with the Tekton 2-10 Perfect SET. I almost went with the SE84UFO25 and the Perfect SET15, but I wouldn't have been able to use the 15's with other more-powerful amps because the bass weighting would be too heavy. The 2-10s are more versatile allowing me to use up to a 400w solid state amp if I wanted in the future.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/17/22 at 21:39:15

I have Tekton Encores.  Tektons are basic in looks and all about sound.
People get confused when they read the specs because the Tekton speakers can handle a huge amount of power.   But they are extremely efficient and perfectly matched with SET amps.  They don't really show their skills until matched with a low power SET.  The first time I heard my speakers with a friends tube amp I immediately bought a used Sophia Baby amp on ebay.  I still have it and probably would still be using it but it only has one input.  It sounds a lot like Decware in my opinion. But I need 2 inputs because I use my front speakers and amp for home theatre.  So I kept shopping.

I am not a patient man.  I need to be able to control volume by remote.  And I need to use the amp for home theatre so I need an HT bypass.  These 3 items kept Decware off my list.

It took me a few months to figure out that an integrated amp turned up all the way works for all my needs if I use the volume control in my DAC for 2 channel sound and use the preamp in my HT system for watching movies.  Within a week I got lucky and found a Rachel for sale second hand and bought it immediately.  It was listed on Audiomart for a total of 2 hours and 4 minutes.  He didn't take it down until after I had paid.  

I think Decware and Tekton are a perfect match.  Way more power than I need for these 150 lb speakers. Awesome soundstage, clarity, and definition.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #9 - 04/18/22 at 08:21:40

Tekton has around 30 speaker models, I sometimes wonder if they have spent enough time optimizing each model.  The reviews though, seems like many like the speakers.

IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/18/22 at 20:10:27

flargosa, good point.  I sometimes wonder why they have so many models.  And I think the answer is that the Tekton's equivalent of Steve D is a highly driven individual who enjoys creating.  Maybe he indulges his creative desires more than he should.  But I think he is very driven and completes each speaker before moving on.

Many of the Tekton speakers are niche targeted, so it isn't as random as it looks.  

Finally I want to make sure Steve D doesn't think I'm equating him to Eric at Tekton, two very different individuals, other than their drive and creativity.
Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/18/22 at 21:33:17

Have you watched Steve Guttenberg's interview with Tekton's Eric Alexander? It might answer some of your questions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBrQ4Q_2oPs

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/20/22 at 16:37:35

I'm a fan of Tekton. I've got a pair of Lores w/upgrades with a low profile center in the TV/HT setup. I've also got a pair of the new 7 array Pendragons w/upgrades in my analog setup. The number one thing I like about them is they simply sound real. With the Pendragons I've run them with a 20W Jolida tube amp, a 340 watt Carver amp and now with a SE84C-EX.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 05/21/22 at 00:37:04

It a very good combo. Especially with the Ares II DAC.

BF309D78-F5D1-406C-97FC-C0E8662C86AB.png

Tekton Perfect SET, SE84UFO3 Monos (poly bypass mod), Denafrips Ares ii DAC, Parasound ZPhono XRM, Nagaoka MP-110 on UTurn.
  IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #14 - 05/23/22 at 07:54:51

Just got my Perfect SET 2-10. After a 48 hr break-in, it sounds amazing, voices sound so real and low end impact sounds just right.   I was deciding between a few Tekton models, after talking to Eric(Tekton designer), he suggested the PS 2-10 or Electron SE would be the best match for my amps. I expected him to suggest the PerfectSet 15 or original PS. The treble is very clear yet relax, not what I expected at all. Another plus, the very low volume hiss from my UFO 2 is gone as well, maybe due to the higher speaker ohms.  Only problem with the speaker, it's looks like it belongs in a man cave and not very wife friendly, looks wise.  Some wood veneer would have greatly helped, but Tekton no longer does wood veneers.  

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/23/22 at 10:50:42

Did you get the upgraded wiring? They sound good at 48 hours, but when you hit ~200, you'll be even more amazed...congrats!

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #16 - 05/23/22 at 21:12:38

Yes, I got the crossover and internal wire upgrade.  I think I know why the speaker sounds very good. I looked up the prices for the tweeters and woofers.  It’s $1180 msrp worth of drivers in a $2200 speakers.  Ofcourse, Tekton probably got discounts buying in bulk.

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/24/22 at 12:36:18

Great! Those Mundorf caps and Erse inductors will take a while to burn-in, but the reward for that patience is amazing. And, you will be able to distinguish every tweek to your system, from speaker wires, interconnects, fuses, network switch, fiber ethernet converter, line conditioning....each is like peeling a layer off an audio onion.

MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/24/22 at 19:25:03

That mid-tweet design is so interesting, I don’t really understand how it avoids massive off axis comb filtering around the crossover point.

IP Logged
flargosa

Reply #19 - 05/24/22 at 19:46:49

I don’t know what comb filtering is but stereophile mentioned it on one of their Tekton reviews.

“ Comb filtering in the array is addressed and mitigated by transitioning higher frequencies to the single center tweeter—it acts as a supertweeter. When the loudspeaker system receives frequencies ¼ wavelength shorter than the distance between the tweeters' centers, we transfer the power to the center tweeter. The array of seven handles high output levels flawlessly“

https://www.stereophile.com/content/tekton-design-impact-monitor-loudspeaker

IP Logged
Zoso69
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 05/24/22 at 20:37:19

I've had my Perfect SET 2-10's for about 18 months. I'm very pleased with them (for the money). They really don't have any shortcomings and get lots of play time (that's 20-25 hours a week in my house).

I don't have the beryllium upgraded tweeters, but I find the top end to be balanced, as is the rest of the frequency range, top to bottom.

As many others have described the tonal accuracy is best-in-show (again, at this price point). You'll have to shell out quite a bit more for superior realism.  

With my system (see below) the soundstage typically begins just behind the speakers and reaches back about 20-25 feet from there. I say 20-25 feet with realism (instrumental not whale songs). Of course, I can hear things much further back, but that's about where I become aware I'm listening to a recording. Very little music seems to jump out in front of the speakers. I'm hearing about 2-3 feet of music beyond the outside edges of the speakers. Speakers are about 7 feet apart.

Off Axis response is decent, not spectacular. The soundstage doesn’t exactly collapse when I reach down to pet the cat, but when I move to the adjacent chair, I’m keenly aware I’m not in the sweet spot.

In my room (12W x 20D x 9H) the 2-10s are very responsive to placement.
I’ve placed mine about 3.5 feet from the front of the speaker to the back wall, with about 18-20 degrees of toe in.  

System:
Speakers: Tekton Perfect SET 2-10
Speaker Cables: Silver Smith Fidelium
Amplifier: Willsenton R8 (45 watt - Upgraded Tube package)
(SE84UFO2 on order)
Interconnects: DAC to Amp - Arcadia OCC Interconnect
DAC: DENAFRIPS Pontus 2
Interconnect: Streamer to DAC - DH Labs Silver Sonic  
Streamer: Bluesound Node 2i
Power Cables: Shunyata Venom

Dutch & Dutch 8C's.
4 Drivers each with dedicated DAC and 250 watt amp, built-in DSP. BACCH add-on.
Shunyata mains and dedicated 20 watt circuit.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 05/24/22 at 21:25:43

My Pendragons have the same 7 tweeter array. Zoso69, if you have 20-25 behind your head I don't believe (honestly don't know 100%) you'll have significant comb filtering issues since you have a lot of space to the back wall and its reflection back to you.  My room is setup the way it is because my wife's home office has to share the space. I think my room is 13' wide. Chair is a foot from rear wall, speakers about 2' from front wall. So I'm close and not much room behind me. I've played around with absorption panels, speaker placement, chair, etc. I was having a horrible frequency range that was driving me bananas. Then I drilled over 4000 holes, yes 4000 and made a few BAD panels. Still working with angles and placement, so these are still a work in progress. The top panel is covered. The offending frequency is gone, vocals I could never understand are clear and what I thought was the TV (behind speakers) reflecting is gone, close your eyes and the front wall does not exist. Had I known about Decware when I ordered the Pens I might have been swayed toward the Perfect SETs.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Zoso69
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 05/25/22 at 00:43:49

Sean,
To be clear the 20-25 feet is behind the speaker, not behind my head.
And that's not actual distance that's "perceived". Within that "perceived" distance instruments appear realistic. Beyond that the illusion begins to fade.  

The mandala serves as a decent diffuser, but it's more about the ambiance for us.  

Capture.JPG

Dutch & Dutch 8C's.
4 Drivers each with dedicated DAC and 250 watt amp, built-in DSP. BACCH add-on.
Shunyata mains and dedicated 20 watt circuit.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print