Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 08:30:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My blue Torii, alive and kicking (Read 948 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

My blue Torii, alive and kicking
04/05/22 at 14:36:29

It is coming close to 2 decades with my blue Torii.  I've tried to sell it a few times but the amp did not want to leave, for whatever reason.  Over the years I've paired this amp with a pre-amp, CSP, and now without a pre-amp, which I think sounds best.  I've connected this amp to Silverline towers, MG944 towers, Advent bookshelf, different models of Klipsch monitors, Decware Traps, and now they are connected to Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ monitors.  The Emotiva are not very efficient but they sound great in a nearfield setup, which is how I use the Torii these days.  And, I must say the blue Torii and the B1 setup is a great combination.

I think the Torii sounds great these days as a reward for not selling them the multiple times I tried throughout the years.  The match between the amp and I is as good as it gets for me.

Anyone else have a story of a long used piece of gear they still use?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My blue Torii, alive and kicking
Reply #1 - 04/05/22 at 14:48:31

I have a ZBOX that is in a drawer now but that I have used in main and second systems for a few decades. After a few years I sent it back to Steve to have an additional input added which really did increase its versatility and extend its use. I sold it once but it was returned to me because it hummed and hummed and hummed for that buyer, but when it returned it didn't hum for me. I was using it up to this year but retired it when I decided my headphone only system didn't need it with its own ZROCK2. I may sell it soon. Darn thing shouldn't sit in a drawer!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: My blue Torii, alive and kicking
Reply #2 - 04/05/22 at 16:01:01

My Sheldon Stokes DAC is celebrating it's 25th birthday this year. It was designed by Stokes while he was in college. I got wind of it from the old Madisound forum. Stokes had the boards made and a good write up of theory and parts list. Based off two PCM-63 DAC chips it has 5 power supplies fed with a toroid transformer and a 6922 tube base analogue out put stage. Each channel sports it's own power supply for both digital and analog circuits. I built it and have no reason to move on - it is that good.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print