Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:57:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just got my amp (Read 4169 times)
Beerfab

Just got my amp
03/23/22 at 20:10:54

Just got my SE34I.5 Rachel after a year wait. paired with a pair of Blumenstein Tritons.   am thinking I will build a set of Lii F15 open Baffles with the Medium sized Zen baffles.

decware7.jpg
  IP Logged
Beerfab

Re: Just got my amp
Reply #1 - 03/23/22 at 20:12:49

power on

decware1_002.jpg
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/23/22 at 20:14:52

Congrats! Looks beautiful. What do you think of the Tritons?

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Beerfab

Reply #3 - 03/23/22 at 20:20:06

very nice speaker, I think I could use some subs with them, which is why I am considering the F15 OB too.  I think the triton efficiency is about 95db and I think I would not go lower than that.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/23/22 at 20:43:14

I asked because I considered Blumenstein for a bit but ended up going a different direction. I am in transition right now and awaiting next permanent duty station, so they're in storage, but got a deal on used Decware 945 so went that way instead. When I had them out and in use with my Mini Torii they were great. I would suspect they would compare well to the Tritons, but no direct experience. They are 94db efficiency.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Beerfab

Reply #5 - 03/23/22 at 21:39:10

Chaps,
I am definately torn.  I came from having Infiitiy IRSIIb's.  Quite a large speaker with 4 10" woofers, plus all the ribbons too.  Just need a lot of power to run them.  When I moved and decided I needed to scale down a TON I went with Decware and the tritons.  I have listened to a lot of the music I have listened to for many hours.  I sometimes go to "man, I want a little more punch to that voice" or similar.  then I listen to a another track and it has all that punch and then need to go to figuring it must be the recording.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/24/22 at 00:30:47

I'm curious, what are your room dimensions? Maybe its just the way the picture is taken, but it looks pretty big. If so, this may be part of what you're experiencing. A "hot"recording would naturally sound fuller and punchier in that space while one with recorded at a lower volume will be more subdued.

You may not want to add another component, but a preamp can often add some weight to a source or recording that sounds a little lean. I have a CSP2+ that does this beautifully. It won't make things louder, but does address fullness which may address what you mean by punch.

You can also see from my signature that I maintain more than one system. I get that this isn't for everyone, but I still use a vintage SS for those times when I want more punch and power. My Decware is for the more usual experience when I want to listen at lower volumes.

I went this direction partly because of budget concerns. I can't afford a higher power Decware amp at this point, and love the sound I get from Decware single ended amps. My setup seems to work well for me because I have the means to enjoy both quieter and immersive Decware listening sessions and louder punch when I want to rock.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/24/22 at 00:59:50

I should also note that I did use my Mini Torii with the 945s in my main system, but the Mini Torii has some of the natural weight that a preamp brings to the table because of its use of a dual triode input for each channel. It would have similar power to your Rachel, but might sound fuller or weightier on certain recordings. The Rachel would probably win in the pure SET tone category, however. I don't know as I've never heard a Rachel.

Additionally, I can see how you could miss the amount of air that the Infiitiy IRSIIb's could move. I don't have experience with that much air movement capability, but do sometimes miss my Yamaha NS-1000M's that are in storage. They work well with my Accuphase and can definitely put out some punch when called upon.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/24/22 at 01:19:56

Congrats!

I love how far from the wall you have the speakers.

If it's a new amp I would let it settle and burn in for 100+ hours. When I first got my Torii the sound change was a wild ride for the first few hundred hours.

Tubes can take 50 hours to burn in and give you their true sonic character.

Rolling tubes can radically change the sound as well. Once you get a better handle on how the amp sounds—read the tube rolling threads. Also feel free to ask for suggestions.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/24/22 at 01:39:26

Burn-in is a great point. I followed Steve're recommended 5 hours on and 5 hours off as much as possible for the first 100 hours or so. The sound will change and settle, for the better.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/24/22 at 02:33:33

congratulations!

IP Logged
Beerfab

Reply #11 - 03/25/22 at 22:15:32

groovysauce,
Speakers are not in the ideal spot but I think I am close.  My wife would prefer them shoved back either side of the fireplace and they may end up there when I am not listening but so far I have no ultimatums.  

Chaps,
the room is pretty big and it is a small speaker compared to what I am used to.  it is a living area and kitchen combined.

I will be doing a few room treament things too pretty soon.  Does anyone have experience with cell shades over large windows?  We have a couple large windows in the room that look over our large yard with lots of wild life so we do like to look out them a lot but if the cell shades work I can just pull thm down when I want to listen.

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/25/22 at 23:19:39

Large room was my suspicion based on your picture. You will likely end up appreciating what you've gained in good tone over lost punch, but physics are a factor. Smaller speakers + larger room just doesn't bring the same punch as larger speakers. There are many that would give up some punch for the tone you're likely getting though.

I have no experience with cell shades. We have always utilized pretty weighty curtains (blackouts) on our LR windows. Since these are closed at night and I listen mostly at night, they work well to reduce window reflections.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print