Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 13:20:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Try to fix it or live with it? bugs me! (Read 2151 times)
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Try to fix it or live with it? bugs me!
03/22/22 at 21:07:57

Shipped from Decware in January, 2022 with the boo boo shown in the picture according to the original owner. This is the second Amp that I've received with imperfections in the paint. I know it is cosmetic and doesn't impact performance but it's a $2K amp and very noticeable. I'm the 2nd owner(50 hours at most on it), the original owner just lived with it. I'm guessing it wasn't worth the shipping cost etc. to send it back. I'm wondering if I send it in for warranty transfer is this something Decware usually repairs? Thanks for any input on what to do.
Malcolm /img]

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Re: Try to fix it or live with it? bugs me!
Reply #1 - 03/22/22 at 21:10:58

Sand it down and hit it with some Krylon. Ain't no thang.

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/22 at 21:19:05

Regular old Krylon in a spray can?

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/23/22 at 01:05:58

Yes, or some higher end spray paints. Shockingly, you can get some pretty high quality paint in an easy-to-use spray can these days. Just tape everything off using an old pillowcase or something, sand it well, and you can make it look like new. Depending on how hot the transformer gets, you might want to use a heat-rated paint, similar to what people use on engine blocks, etc.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/23/22 at 01:18:07

That looks like some excess lacquer that pooled while the transformer was being  manufactured. Be very careful in sanding it out because of the chance of bridging the laminations which could affect the output of the transformer. Use a emery cloth fingernail file flattening out the ridges formed when drying without removing the base flatten coat the best you can. Use wide artist brush to apply a new finish. Or just leave it be and enjoy the music Huh

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/23/22 at 13:14:59

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the ideas. I think I'll learn to live with it...I'd probably make a bigger mess trying to repair it. Still a little disappointed that QC let it out the door.
Malcolm

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/23/22 at 13:47:54

Malcolm, I think you are making a good choice. I've had issues with output transformers with shorting laminations. Turned an otherwise good working audio output transformer into a very distorted nightmare. Some TLC fixed it! Power transformers might hold up a little better with some laminations shorted but will probably introduce dreaded hum.

Please remember your getting a delicate hand built device and cosmetic imperfections can be expected. Perfection is in the sound IMO.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/23/22 at 14:20:11

John,
Totally agree with the sound being perfection. I've got 8 Decware amps/pre-amps that I've accumulated over the years. 6 of the 8 have been perfect  cosmetically and of course sound great. The two that have small picky cosmetic issues are the most recent amps I bought. Both have similar small flaws in the paint on the transformers which just might be the nature of painted transformers. I worry that the new customers who are going to be waiting awhile for amps might be surprised if their amp is delivered with a run, drip etc. Maybe discussions like this one will help new customers appreciate that these are boutique products and may have a little character added. I had not thought about it in that way before, thank you for the insight.
Have a great day.
Malcolm

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/23/22 at 16:36:03

With Decwares backlog and current economy all workable inventory is a go from my perspective. If a defect like that is noticed after wiring when turning the amp over it would be very hard and time consuming to replace that cosmetic defect. In a material starved world the nitpick rejection of receivables is out of the question. IMO.

Not sure the process at Decware but would hope that each artesian involvement in the process of building the piece would start with selection of parts thru running preliminary tests. Again in a material starved economy and backlog some slack must be given for cosmetics.

I have built several of Decware's pieces as well as bought many from previous owners. All have had some little 'defect'. Some were caused by the previous owner and some were obvious built and shipped that way. But, all ended up working as Steve describes in the owner manuals and colorfully here on the forum.

Cheers Wink

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print