Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 13:51:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Those with around 500 dollar player setups. (Read 2068 times)
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Those with around 500 dollar player setups.
03/22/22 at 17:21:52

We watched a couple of YT videos on this topic, but was just wondering what you have at around this price and what you think? Or even what you had..We're writing down a lot of different models to check out. Pics would be cool too. I have some time to decide ....lol .....Thanks~ Mike

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Re: Those with around 500 dollar player setups.
Reply #1 - 03/22/22 at 17:56:22

Mike-

In that $500 -  is that including a phono-preamp? Or just for the turntable cartridge combo?

As a stand alone turntable - without preamp........the Rega Planar 1 is hard to beat. It is a bit more than $500 at this point, but is a pretty well regarded deck. It was a huge upgrade over my 90's era entry level Sony.

It is what I have,  over the years I have upgrade both the stock cartridge, and recently my entry level phono preamp.

I will be trading the Rega in as I have a new TT on order, but I don't have anything bad to say about it and am only replacing it because I have the upgrade bug.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/22 at 21:17:25

None of my currently owned turntables was more than several hundred dollars. My daily driver is a Technics SL-1200 MK3D that I paid 20,000 yen for, or about $180 with a great cart. I have the benefit of having lived in Japan where quality vintage gear is easily available. The Japanese tend to really take care of their stuff.

All of my turntables are vintage. I am unsure what to recommend that is new today at this price, as I don't have direct experience. I did have a VPI Nomad with upgraded platter that I bought new ($1500 table), but sold it to finance several vintage tables. It was a fine table, but I am not sorry as I now have been able to experience belt, DD, and rim drive. The sale also financed some great carts.

Vintage can be risky, but I have been fortunate. I think it takes much more than a new $500 TT to equal a $500 (or less) vintage table. I must add that not all vintage is equal. You probably need to look for a table that was several hundred dollars or more new, avoid "store brands," and do your research. The main thing is to find a table that has not been abused but rather cared for. For those willing to look, there are still some gems out there.

Every one of the tables I now own is equal or better than the VPI in my opinion.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/23/22 at 01:08:34

Dr3wman ,Just the turntable/cartridge combo. Thanks so much for replies. I will be looking at all recommended, including those vintage as well Chapsjon. I do appreciate this. ~Mike

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/23/22 at 01:38:20

Mike,

A great resource for some insight on whether a particular vintage table is decent, check out http://www.thevintageknob.org or https://www.vinylengine.com. The first provides a basic review and specs of some classic tables (and other vintage gear.) The second will have user reviews and specs.

If you buy online, make sure seller knows how to ship a table.

Best of luck, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/23/22 at 10:16:18

Jon, those links are a great resource.  Difficult to navigate on a phone. Best to use a PC.

Thanks

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/25/22 at 21:16:06

Thank-you Jon. Yes...links there are great!

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/25/22 at 21:53:41

Hope you can make use of them Mike. Vinyl Engine has a great database besides the reviews that helps with sorting specs on carts to best match them with tonearms, VTF, compliance, etc... Indispensable.

It's a great resource for locating classic carts, tonearms, and tables that don't break the bank as well. My Grace F-8 is a great example. Many consider it to be one of the best MM's ever made, but styli are very hard to find NOS. Thanks to the Vinyl Engine community, I learned that a Sony ND-150 stylus fits. JICO still makes them. So I can get a great stylus new that fits a classic cart.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
rocketmotor
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 12/05/23 at 15:54:04

Buy a used turntable and you will getting a much better value than new. You do (easily) lubricate the bearing and have it running well. Direct drive Sony turntables are great and somewhat under the radar.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print