Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:58:58 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video (Read 51123 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re:  CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video
Reply #350 - 10/31/22 at 15:19:46

Following...

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #351 - 10/31/22 at 15:21:18

I've had a mixed experience with the Cryotone tubes. I first bought two 6NS7-WC for my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with all the Anniversary Mods and to be honest to me it was like the Emperor's New Clothes in comparison to all the wows that others evoked upon them. I found that I preferred the sound of several old RCA 6NS7 that I had been using. And then I bought the 6P15-WC output tubes and after they seasoned in I do hear a bit of improvement--a bit of edge in the lower treble seemed cleaned up, but actually with my system with lots of gain-riding possibilities and a ZROCK2 I can make this cryo'd pair of tubes and the same tubes from Steve sound nearly identical. If the Cryotone tubes last far longer than those from Steve that will be a good purchase; time will tell.

So I can recommend with a bit of enthusiasm the 6P15-WC output tubes for the UFO25 Cryotone offers especially if there is no ZROCK2 in the system.

I probably won't be buying any more Cryotones.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #352 - 10/31/22 at 15:34:09

I'm curious about other Cyrotone tubes people have tried.  I bought the EEC88 and it was bright at first, now I find it to present a very clear, uncolored sound with great detail.  I've left it in the system the last several months without any urge to swap.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Glenn
Verified Member

Reply #353 - 10/31/22 at 15:53:54

Palomino: Which tube were you using before the ECC88 on your UFO25 and how does it compare in your view?

Niagara 1200, Sonos Port streamer, Denafrips Hermes DDC, Denafrips Pontus II DAC, Denafrips Athena pre-amp, Decware UFO25 amplifier, Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #354 - 10/31/22 at 17:04:42

Palomino,

I am using Don's tubes in the following equipment:

CSP3+
-  5U4GB-WC rectifier (Cryotone)
-  6SN7 - WC input (Cryotone)
-  Reflector 6N5P outputs

ZMA
- OA3-WC regulators (2) (Cryotone)
- Reflektor 6N5P inputs
- Gold Lion KT77 outputs

Modified Cambridge CXN V2
- ECC88-WC (2);(Cryotone)

I enjoy this combination.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #355 - 10/31/22 at 17:10:50

Too many to remember.  

But my go to tube was a Reflector '74 or '75 6n23P silver shield, single getter tube.  I just saw a pair on US Audio mart for $320 - LOL.  I think I paid $50-$75 back before they became "popular".

I'd describe the sound as similar although the Cyrotone is probably a touch more clear and detailed.  I'd have to swap them out again to be sure.  I can say I haven't felt the need to put the 6N23Ps back in.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #356 - 10/31/22 at 18:15:08

Hk,

What's the skinny on the OA3-WC regulators? I prefer My Tung-Sol and RCA OA3 over the Sylvania. Only have Sylvania OB3. Was going to try a OB3-WC. Curious about your experience with them. Shocking how different they sound from the Sylvania to Tung-Sol.

My collection of Cryotone:

6N1P - WC (2)
6SN7 - WC (quad set)
6SL7 -  WC (2)
5AR4 -  WC (2)
EL34 -  WC (quad set)

And a free T-shirt thanks Don

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #357 - 10/31/22 at 19:25:28

jec3504,

The Cryotone OA3's were recommended for my ZMA by GroovySauce. They are absolutely dead quiet.and reduced some minimal vibration noise I was experiencing. Definitely a worthwhile addition IMHO.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #358 - 10/31/22 at 19:36:02

Hk,

That's Good news having troubles finding a good OB3. Thanks for reply.

Joseph

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #359 - 10/31/22 at 21:13:37

Glenn,

I have the UFO25 and have recently fully stocked my amp with Wathem tubes.

These are the ones I would recommend:

ECC88-WC
6P15P-WC
5U4GB-WC
0A3-WC (2)
0D3-WC

I used to prefer the 0A3 for the VR input tube but the 0D3 really does sound better with the other Wathem tubes installed.  The 5U4GB-WC has killer bass and delicate highs. It is especially outstanding.

Hope this helps.

Art

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #360 - 10/31/22 at 22:18:54

Have you tried the 5AR4-WC as well? I’m wondering how they compare to the 5U4GB-WC, soundwise.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
Glenn
Verified Member

Reply #361 - 10/31/22 at 22:33:26

Art - thanks for your suggestions.  I found the OD3 lacked highs and space compared to the OA3 when i rolled the Decware stock tubes. How did the Cyrotone OD3 compare, and in what way do you feel it sounds better in the fully Cryotone set up?

Niagara 1200, Sonos Port streamer, Denafrips Hermes DDC, Denafrips Pontus II DAC, Denafrips Athena pre-amp, Decware UFO25 amplifier, Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #362 - 11/01/22 at 16:14:39

Glenn, prior to installing any of the Wathem tubes in my system, what I heard was similar to yours with the 0D3 and even the 0C3. After installing/burn-in the ECC88-WC,  6P15P-WC and 5U4GB-WC tubes, the sound of my system was at a new level and I once again rolled through the input regulator tubes. The lack of air with the 0D3 was gone and it sounded harmonically magnificent. Finally I ordered the  0D3 and 0A3 tubes. It furthered lowered the noise floor and the highs were airy and delicate. That was with the 0D3.

I suggest you order the ECC88-WC and 5U4GB-WC tubes and let them burn-in. After that, I suggest retesting the VR tubes. The improvement with the new primary tubes will make obvious what you should order for your input VR tube.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #363 - 11/01/22 at 16:27:37

I haven't tried the 5AR4-WC so I can't help in a comparison. The 5U4GB-WC sounds so good that I've been too busy listening to music to be tempted to order a 5AR4-WC.

I have to admit some curiosity to try the 5AR4-WC but between the Wathem tubes, the Synergistic Research purple fuse and yesterday receiving my Lii Audio Fast 15 drivers, I have a lot of break-in to do.

If there is anyone who has tried both, I am also curious about the comparison.

IP Logged
Glenn
Verified Member

Reply #364 - 11/01/22 at 20:05:21

Art - Thanks you have helped me quite a bit.

In the end i ordered both the OA3-WC and the OD3-WC. Worse case scenario is i keep one as a spare or sell it.

FYI - Prior to this i started by upgrading to the 5AR4-WC and 6P15P-WCs - which greatly improved clarity and led me to this next round of rolling. The 5AR4-WC seems to have a bit more punch and slightly higher highs than the stock 5U4GB that came with the amp. I haven't yet ordered Wathams's 5U4GB-WC so i haven't made a true comparison vs. the 5AR4-WC. I will wait to see how it sounds once i install the ECC88 and taste test the OA3-WC and the OD3-WC. If i do in the future i will be sure to post.

Cheers all!

IP Logged
acousticsguru
Verified Member

Reply #365 - 11/01/22 at 22:18:47

Referring to the voltage regulator for the input/driver tube? That's really a matter of personal preference and system synergy. In general, I've found that the more analytical sounding tubes (e.g. some but not all E88CC/6922 types) sound best with the 0D3 (and a rectifier like the GZ34 Metal Base), whereas warm-sounding tubes (e.g. the 6N1P) tend to pair best with the 0A3 or 0C3 (and perhaps a rectifier emphasizing treble extension, such as the GZ480), and of course everything in-between. In short, I don't think there's any one combination that'l sound best everywhere.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #366 - 11/02/22 at 18:32:27

Glenn, I like your choice. Just go all in.

The magic is the combination of Wathem tubes. You have some fun times ahead.

Art

IP Logged
Glenn
Verified Member

Reply #367 - 11/17/22 at 20:55:53

I thought i should provide an update on my Cryotone experiment. I have finished the upgrade and now have all Cryotone on my SE84UFO25: Rectifier = 5AR4, Rear Voltage Regulator = 2x OA3, Output = 2x 6P15P, Input = ECC88, Voltage = OD3

First, if you are undecided - go for it. I know there is some questioning in this thread about whether this is snake oil. I had the same concern. But the answer in my system is a resounding no. These tubes are wonderful.  There was an immediate and almost heavenly improvement to the sound once I had replaced all tubes with Cryotone. And my system was no slouch before. Generally, i found the sound to be richer and more present. the bass kicked. And the mids . . . the mids have opened right up. Wide. Amazing. Everything just feels more musical.

As for the tubes i chose, I echo Art's observation, "analytical sounding tubes (e.g. some but not all E88CC/6922 types) sound best with the 0D3 (and a rectifier like the GZ34 Metal Base), whereas warm-sounding tubes (e.g. the 6N1P) tend to pair best with the 0A3 or 0C3 (and perhaps a rectifier emphasizing treble extension, such as the GZ480).

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #368 - 12/06/22 at 20:27:42

WWW   IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #369 - 01/08/23 at 17:37:53

I have decided to give these a shot in my UFO2. Don was very responsive to all of my questions and very informative. I decided on the 5R4 rectifier and the EL84 output tubes. I want to hear these tubes for myself.

I have heard what the 5R4 can do as I have been using a NOS 1960 RCA brown base. Some things I like, some things I don't. Let's see what the Cryotone's sound like. Cheers.

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #370 - 01/08/23 at 19:07:09

Quote:
Posted by: Danny Boy      Posted on: Today at 17:37:53

I have decided to give these a shot in my UFO2. Don was very responsive to all of my questions and very informative. I decided on the 5R4 rectifier and the EL84 output tubes. I want to hear these tubes for myself....

Do you mean the 5AR4 rectifier? Unless it is very new I don't think Wathen does 5R4. FWIW I've also tried the RCA double-D 5R4s and had a similar reaction to yours: some aspects are really nice, but others keep it from being from being a favorite.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #371 - 01/08/23 at 21:14:47

Yes, 5AR4; I need to remember to list these tubes correctly. Now if I can just figure out how to quote...

Decware UFO2 / Rega P6 with Ania cartridge / Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II phono pre-amp / All Kimber cabling / Klipsch Heresy IV
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #372 - 01/09/23 at 00:09:02

Hi Danny Boy

In my SE84UFO, I currently have Wathen 5AR4 and 6P15P.  Next week I should have the EL84 pair as well.  Let's compare notes!  :)

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #373 - 01/09/23 at 02:07:59

Sounds good. What is your impression of the 5AR4 with the 6P15P? I had questioned Don about the 6P15P, but he really felt the EL84 was a better way to go.

-Danny

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #374 - 01/09/23 at 18:51:31

Danny asked:

What is your impression of the 5AR4 with the 6P15P?

In my SE84UFO, I started by adding the 5AR4-WC and ended with the 6N1P-WC. Between those purchases, I added a pair of 6P15P-WC to complete the set - the tube you mentioned. The 6P15P-WC replaced another 6P15P pair that came with my amp. The difference was, to my ear, not that discernable. Not a bad change; it went more sideways than up and improved. Indeed not the dramatic difference I heard in my ToriiMKIV when I rolled CryoTone tubes there.  

After reading a positive review of the EL84-WC and talking with Don, I decided to try them. Once they arrive, I can return them if they do not outperform the 6P15P-WC. Stay tuned.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #375 - 01/09/23 at 19:02:36

That was my experience with the 6P15P-WC as well: different, not a big improvement--that said I have been using them and enjoying them, but I can put the last pair I got from Steve in the Monoblocks, do some adjustments, and not miss anything.

The 6SN7-WC that I got beforehand though. . . I just can't enjoy those in my main system, they are just brighter and drier than I like an input tube to be, and a NOS pair or two I have I enjoy much more.

Regarding EL84: I have tried them in the past, and just this last week was running a pair of Amperex Holland (which usually is a winning formula for me, I really like the sound of Dutch Philips tubes) and they're nice but. . .they seem blanketed with warmth and veiled to me in comparison to the 6P15P of either source. I've tried EL83 by Philips and by Mullard as well with similar results. I like the warmth at first, but miss a clarity and dynamics the 6P15P deliver. I also have converters and tubes of the ones you have on order as well, but suspect the same result will happen. I think I just need the "Hazen Grid Mod" now that I have been listening to it for so long, and those other tube types aren't influenced by it. In the Torris I had I could use tubes that weren't utilizing the Hazen Grid and not miss that so much, but in the SET amps. . . I have to have it now, something seems missing otherwise.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #376 - 01/09/23 at 19:21:23

"Hazen Grid Mod"???

I searched for references to Hazen Grid Mod going back to 2010, but none of the posts defined it.

What is it?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #377 - 01/09/23 at 19:30:30

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #378 - 01/10/23 at 07:19:15

Tony said:

"After reading a positive review of the EL84-WC and talking with Don, I decided to try them. Once they arrive, I can return them if they do not outperform the 6P15P-WC. Stay tuned."

I placed my order last Friday. I have no idea what to expect for delivery time. How long have you had your order in?

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #379 - 01/10/23 at 15:27:34

Danny asked:

I have no idea what to expect for delivery time. How long have you had your order in

They were backed up a little here at the start of the year, but usually, a week to 10 days after the order is placed, from my experience. When you're waiting, it seems so long - right?

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #380 - 01/10/23 at 17:18:16

Tony said:

"When you're waiting, it seems so long - right?"

I'm okay with the wait. It seems like I have done a lot of waiting in the last 2 years for things. In the meantime, I switched back to my original tube set that came with my amp. Funny, but I forgot how good the original set sounded. I want these to be the tubes that I compare the Cryotone's to.

I'm still on trial with a set of Klipsch Heresy's, and I have heard what works and what doesn't. A month in and I haven't definitively said yes to these. Long story short: I have plenty to keep me occupied until the tubes land.

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #381 - 01/12/23 at 07:35:05

I traded email with Don today, and he said he had some of my tubes in process. He said they should ship Saturday or Monday. So it seems about a week to process.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #382 - 01/12/23 at 17:08:46

I received some cyrotone 6SN7’s quickly but have been waiting for a couple of their 300b tubes for quite some time. I wanted to give them a roll before my Had with a WE300B quad shows up.

upload image

I’m pretty sure the PSE300 comes with one of these little cuties.

KEF LS50 wireless 2 w/KC62 sub
Analog Ethos select series 2a3>Klipsch Forte IV
Dennis Had Inspire 6FLV-v>Decware T6
Shanling STP10>JBL N26
Dennis Had 300PSE>Decware DNA 2
IPad mini>Audio Quest Dragonfly cobalt>Focal Clear
Willsenton R300>Bose 601 series I
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #383 - 01/12/23 at 19:30:17

I have had Cryotone in both my CSP3-A and my UFO25 for quite some time.  For those of you that may want to experiment try the 12AU7-WCL in the input position of either or both the CSP and/or the UFO25.  Now my input tube of choice, fantastic results.

Of course you will need an adapter and this is really the point of this post.  I ended rolling adapters.  I found that the adapter can have a considerable effect.  Here's the adapters that I've tried:

12AXX to E88CC NOS
Jemosa 12AXX to E88CC with the Korean bakelite/silver socket and gold pins
Jemosa 12AXX to E88CC Ceramic/gold socket and gold pins

I ended up with the Jemosa 12AXX to E88CC Korean Bakelite in the UFO25 and the Jemosa 12AXX to E88CC ceramic/gold in the CSP3... very nice combo!

Next: I have a 6SN7-WC on the way, hope to get it next week.  I have a Jemosa 6SN7 to E88CC ceramic/gold adapter that I will try with it in the CSP3-A

After I try the 6SN7-WC I hope to finalize the Cryotone combos.  Then the UFO25 goes in for processing.

IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #384 - 01/13/23 at 18:21:14

After not being able to find a rectifier that really “did it” for me in my ZP3, I decided to try the Cryotone 5AR4 a few weeks ago. It’s still breaking in, but this is a killer rectifier and probably one of the best, if not the best I’ve had.

My ZP3 sounds absolutely huge now but still with great control. Dynamics, clarity, bass, soundstage are all there. Also my ZP3 is even quieter than before.

The recommended tube combo for the ZP3 on the site uses a 5U4G, but I’ve never found a 5U4 I’ve liked in it, personally. Every 5U4 has sounded too slow, so I stuck to 5Y3 or type 80 in the past, although those didn’t have quite the scale I was looking for. I spoke to Don about this and he said the 5AR4 was probably the better choice for my tastes. He was right! Hearing a level of scale and presence I’ve never heard from the ZP3. It’s probably worth noting I like a tight analog sound (hence the Thorens 124), so this combo worked well for me; the 5U4 might work better for you.

Technics SP-10mkii | Hana ML | Cinemag SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8rs) | ZLC | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #385 - 01/17/23 at 01:15:22

Quote:
but this is a killer rectifier and probably one of the best, if not the best I’ve had.

Puggy, I had two Amprex/Miniwatt 1957 GZ34 Metal base.  One in my UFO25 and one in my CSP3-A.  Also ended with all Cryotone tubes.  I wasn't sure if I should sell the GZ34 Metal Base.  So, after a while, I put one back in and shortly after that I sold both, each one for over 4X what one CryoTone 5AR4-WC costs and haven't looked back.

Today I received the Cryotone 6SN7-WC.  Rolled it into the CSP3-A input replacing the 12AU7-WCL.  For the first couple of hours I really wanted to put the 12AU7-WCL back.  Now after 4 hours I have the memory of the 12AU7-WCL but can't get myself to roll it back in!  

Right now I have a Cryotone 12AU7-WCL in the input of the UFO25 and the 6SN7-WC in the input of the CSP3-A and can't get over what I'm hearing. I'm going to give this some time and post what the final outcome will be, FWIW.

As you said, "KILLER"!

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #386 - 01/19/23 at 19:11:50

Still waiting for my order. It's been near 2 weeks. I heard from Don last week, and he said they should have shipped last Saturday or Monday. To be fair, Monday was a holiday, but it's Thursday and I've heard nothing.

Not complaining, just sharing my order experience. I would rather wait for proper QC than receive something that wasn't right from the start. I got the feeling from Don in our last email that they were indeed busy.

IP Logged
Puggy
Verified Member

Reply #387 - 01/23/23 at 03:28:32

Joman, I saw some of your earlier posts about how the Cryotone 5AR4s compared with the GZ34 metal base, which certainly played a factor in my purchase. To me, that metal base GZ34 represents the pinnacle of rectifiers (and the price shows that). The fact that this Cryotone can even be compared to the metal base GZ34 is really a testament in itself. Especially for a tube that’s $120, which isn’t even expensive compared to a quality NOS rectifier.

After many more hours of break in, my ZP3 is sounding fantastic with this Cryotone 5AR4. Huge and controlled with great clarity and detail. Best bass I’ve had from my ZP3. It feels like it’s pulling the absolute best performance out of my NOS input tubes. I’m interested in trying the Cryotone input tubes, but I’m extremely happy with this NOS set I’ve been running in the ZP3 (after lots and lots of tube rolling).

Joman, that’s great to hear you’re liking the 6SN7s. I recently bought a linestage that uses 3 6SN7s and have been waiting to put some Cyrotones in there. Seems like the early reviews were slightly mixed on that tube. Please keep us updated on how it’s sounding!

Technics SP-10mkii | Hana ML | Cinemag SUT | ZP3 (25th mods) | Denafrips Ares II | CSP3 | First Watt F8 | Tannoy Monitor Gold 12 (LSU/HF/12/8rs) | ZLC | Silver+Cotton interconnects & speaker wire | Duelund power cables
  IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #388 - 01/23/23 at 04:11:38

Whale doggies, what a day. We arrived home from a nice show by the PSO at Heinz Hall, when my wife declares “ your tubes are here”. I placed my order for 300B tubes back on cyber Monday. It’s like pulling hen’s teeth, but after a few very nice return calls by Don, I gots tubes plugged in & makin’ nice. I guess the word is not many 300B tubes make it through the process successfully. Rolled in some 9-pins that I added to my order in my Shanling STP10. Until earlier this week it had been rocking some JAN 5670’s but in anticipation of trying Don’s tubes, I rolled in some 6N3P-EV tubes from the 80’s. Previously while shooting the breeze with Don on the phone (because he obviously wasn’t working on my tubes) he talked about his Herman amp that used either of those in the front end. The new cryo-6N3P tubes were powered up in the STP10 amp while the Willy was rebiased for the new Wathen’s. I’ll have to say that I’ve been happy with the enjoyment provided by these amps through my Forte IV’s & my newly restored Bose 601 speakers. But just minutes after almost falling into a stupor listening to random songs from a playlist on the STP, my wife announces “let’s listen to a Shenandoah Lullaby” by Garcia & Grisman with the 300B. Quite a difference from the Elgar we had just heard downtown. I don’t think I’ve noticed the fret buzz on Jerry’s guitar here before. Is that a good thing? If you don’t think too good, don’t think too much. Gotta lotta tube burn in’ to do. On a side note, because the Cryotone tube is taller, the Willy’s tube cage no longer fits.

And remember, as always;

Shanling STP10>JBL N26
  IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #389 - 01/24/23 at 19:36:46

After 2 weeks of processing, and 3 days to ship, my tubes have arrived. I chose Don's pick, and I like what I hear already. I had the original tube set re-installed for the last few weeks to remind myself of the way the amp sounded when new. I chose:

5AR4-WC
EL84-WC
ECC88-WC

My first impressions are good. The bass is solid, tight, and tuneful. Horns through my Heresy IV's seemed to have a bit of edge, and that sounds like it is gone. The 5AR4-WC is not the tall "Coke bottle" style. It's not much taller than the power supply, now. I do not seem to have lost any gain. I usually listen with the knob at the 1/4 position, and it's right there. I'll report more when I have more time on them. Cheers.  

Also.... The low hum I had is almost all gone. Probably caused by the old rectifier.

IP Logged
BlackBess
Seasoned Member

TURN IT DOWN,I have
children sleeping
here

Reply #390 - 01/26/23 at 04:44:49

After a few days I really don’t know if I can put into words my impressions of Don’s latest shipment. But let me tell you what happened a little earlier. We’re trying the new 300B’s, listening to Symphony for the Devil by A.S.L.T.W., then Hiatus by Fluxion. As a version of a Million Miles Away by Rory Gallagher played, I’m admiring the detail of the soundstage. That’s a good one. But it sounds wider than the speakers. Anyway, Seatbelts is playing their tune Rush & I’m ready for a 50’s detective show. Right in the middle of the song I switch to the 20 year old amp with 4 Wathen Cryotone 5670-WC tubes hooked to 40 year old “Bozo” 601’s sitting next to the Forte IV’s. Now SuEcide by Alec Empire from the No Photos album is playing & after awhile there’s a percussive beat on 4&1, every other measure for a few lines. It sounds like it’s coming from behind my left shoulder. I point this out to my wife, she smiles(thank heavens”for little girls”) & replied wryly “maybe it’s one of the cats”.  Yeah, she thinks she’s funny too. That’s about as wide of a soundstage as I’ve heard here at home 2 channel.
   So, there’s that, thanks, Ralph

Shanling STP10>JBL N26
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #391 - 01/27/23 at 00:43:10

Ordered Cryotone tube set for the Sarah on Tuesday, I didn’t expect it would take 3 weeks to ship, is that standard for Wathen?

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #392 - 01/27/23 at 01:42:41

The set for my UFO2 showed up on Tuesday via USPS. It took about 10 business days.

I am only a handful of hours into using them, and I am already very impressed.

Patience Grasshopper.... It will be worth the wait.  :)

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #393 - 01/28/23 at 03:49:37

I've had the CryoTone 6SN7 in my CSP3-A for quite a few hours and after listening tonight I am very impressed.  I also think that I know why this tube has had mixed reviews.

First to put some context into this... I discovered that the adapter, if needed as it is for the CSP3-A and UFO25, can make a large difference.  Actually it can be a deal breaker.  I tried it first with a Jemosa gold socket/gold pin adapter.  It was good but not quite there no matter how I tried.  I remembered that I had another adapter.  Looks like a silver socket/gold pin.  That filled in what was not "quite there".

The other factor is my Lumin U2 Mini>Chord M Scaler>Plixer LPS>Chord Qutest, and for good measure add the PSM156.  This combo just mines up detail as if it were gold.

Tonight I felt like listening to the various renditions of Unchained Melody.  At first I was afraid that this might be a comparison of good recordings to poor recordings.  It wasn't.  What it became was an experience with great compositions, vocals in a well recorded venue be it live or studio.  So that once the great was experienced the lesser became uninteresting not unlistenable.

Some examples:

Encore (Live) - Caroline Campbell, Instrumental -
Soundstage depth and imaging, deep and wide, excellent.  Layering and timbre of instruments, beyond reproach.

Lykke Li (piano accompaniment) -
First few notes and lyrics... I involuntarily muttered HOLY S... (I'm not normally prone to colourful expletives)

Crywolf with Roniit -
The harmony of the voices was simply unreal and evident by the separation, and the texture of the voices coupled with the emotion, it put a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye... okay eyes (men don't blubber, I reminded myself).  And now there are many more versions of Unchained Melody that are on my playlist.  

My take on the CryoTone 6SN7-WC is that it's truthful.  Give it what it needs to do what it does best and you'll be rewarded.  

So, now, my insufferable curiosity has me wondering what would happen if I put another in the UFO25???  In place of the CryoTone 12AU7-WCL???  I can't...  This is killing me!

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #394 - 01/28/23 at 05:14:25

JOMAN,

It's nice to hear you are really giving your Cryotone tubes a serious go. I have about 17 hours on the set for my UFO, and I am fully impressed. I have noticed a deeper soundstage, clarity, and details unheard before. Also, the bass is rock-solid, and very cleanly reproduced. The first day, I had no "wow" moments, but yesterday I discovered the depth of the soundstage while listening to Henry Mancini's "Music from Peter Gunn." Since then, I have had many of those moments with different records.

I just shut the amp off after 9 hours today because my ears needed a break. I'm off today, and those tubes got me up early this morning to listen. I love the possibilities they bring.

Enjoy.

-Danny

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #395 - 01/28/23 at 06:40:26

I just shut the amp off after 9 hours today because my ears needed a break.

There you go, who said music lovers can't self-regulate! Smiley

IP Logged
Danny Boy
Verified Member

"You spent how
much?"

Reply #396 - 01/28/23 at 06:51:14

There you go, who said music lovers can't self-regulate!

Hahaha. The funny thing is I wouldn't have gotten that far today without a couple of Advil. Whenever I change tubes, my left ear gets irritated. I don't listen much past 70 dB, but something about a tube change does it every time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #397 - 01/28/23 at 07:39:20

I'm glad you have had such a positive reaction to that tube.

I've tried it with three different converter bases, and in three different components in two rooms. It's "okay" in my largest room in the CSP3 with the mods as driver, not input, tubes, but there are several NOS that are much better. Because of my experience with this tube, and a slightly more favorable but hardly "wow" experience with the Wathen output tubes, these seem like "the Emperor's new clothes" to me and I am not interested in trying a "full loom" or other Wathen tubes.

We're all different. I think these that I bought may appeal to those who are very much into extracting every bit of detail whereas my system has different targets. Regardless, I'm very happy they work out for others; I'll continue with using NOS tubes, of which I have dozens.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #398 - 01/28/23 at 11:02:14

Hey Lon

I don't think that I would entirely agree with this comment...
Quote:
these seem like "the Emperor's new clothes" to me

Reason is that the experience, whether to ones taste or not, is real, and I do get that is how you may feel and respect that.  I wear mostly Coppley Suits, they seem to flatter my non athletic "mature build".  Love to fit into a Canali, but... OH, to be 20 again.  The point is they're both real.

However I would agree with this comment...
Quote:
I think these that I bought may appeal to those who are very much into extracting every bit of detail whereas my system has different targets.

Once I was able to define my objective, which as you once correctly said "you are the mic" or something to that effect, I've been going down that path.  I've found that to achieve that, detail is the key and not always easy to get right.  It's not detail for the sake of detail, it's detail to achieve a passthrough of the event.  It's the detail that makes the components disappear and all that's left is a feeling that I'm in the moment, in the venue, in the studio.  The CryoTone tube sets have been key in achieving the objective and it's still a "work in progress".

I certainly do respect the results that certain NOS tubes bring.  I'm going to be selling some nice tubes that I no longer need for others to enjoy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #399 - 01/28/23 at 12:23:10

Well, I like the "You are the Mic" path to audio enjoyment as well, but these two tube types from Wathen didn't cooperate with reaching that goal for me. I jest about the "Emperor's new clothes," but from outside the fan club that is what it resembles a bit, as in my experience the "reality" was not a big improvement and not a favored result.

There are many different ways to get to the goal and many different persons on the job. I'm pursuing a different way, and respect the campaign and path of others, while knowing what does not appear to be the trail for me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print