Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 04:48:31 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video (Read 56384 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re:  CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video
Reply #300 - 07/31/22 at 04:18:30

This is a wicked little secret that I am happy to share with you.  If you own a Zen Triode amplifier -- any vintage -- you qualify.

(click to enlarge)

You will need an adapter for this magical offering from Cryotone, the 5670-WC / 396A pictured above. I don't know what it costs yet or if they even have it on the site for sale, but trust me, you'll want one.

The sound is textured and clean with just wonderful presence and balance. The detail is impressive. Highly recommend. I am listening to it in an Anniversary modded SE84UFO2 and don't want to take it out!

For those who want to step up the next level beyond the 6N1P or 6922 this should be a pretty sure shot.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #301 - 07/31/22 at 05:29:35

Very interesting. I really like 5670 types in my UFOs, and a cryo’d one may very well be enough to make me take the cryo plunge. But I don’t see them on the website yet.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #302 - 07/31/22 at 17:36:00

These tubes are live on the Wathan site as of this morning: https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p81/5670-WC_%28396A%29.html

IP Logged
Rhtubes
Verified Member

Reply #303 - 07/31/22 at 22:45:20

Just an FYI for Decware users; garage1217.com looks to be a reasonable USA made alternative to the eBay made in China tube adapters. At least I think they are made in the USA. I have not formally confirmed it with the manufacturer.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #304 - 07/31/22 at 23:25:34

I have ordered adapters from garage1217.com. Extremely high quality, hand-soldered by a professional and made in the USA. Super nice.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #305 - 07/31/22 at 23:36:46

I ordered a pair and had bad luck with them. Each guide pin of the tube I inserted broke off inside the base, so I can only really use that pair of tubes with those adaptors now, and those adaptors with those tubes. Sigh. And they sounded a tiny bit "thin" to me in comparison to other bases I used, I thought that might season but I'm not sure they have. I'll not order again.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #306 - 08/01/22 at 02:13:40

Quote:
I have ordered adapters from garage1217.com. Extremely high quality, hand-soldered by a professional and made in the USA. Super nice.

HK

Perfect.

Brad

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #307 - 08/02/22 at 05:07:47

I'll be anxious to hear what everyone who tries these thinks of the sound compared to their favorites...

Meanwhile we will be doing some critical evaluations of the Cryotone 300B tube later this week.  Later in the month I will be doing some evaluations of the Cryotone 6N1P-WC.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #308 - 08/05/22 at 06:02:59

Check out the SEWE300B thread: https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393

We did some deep evaluation of the Cryotone 300B-WC as well as their 6922 in the new amplifier.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #309 - 08/05/22 at 17:19:53

This may have been addressed previously -

I see that there are two tube bundles for the MKV available on the Wathen/Cryotone site.

One is with 5AR4 rectifiers, the other 5U4GB rectifiers.

I know so little about tubes, any insight/knowledge as to the differences would be appreciated.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #310 - 08/05/22 at 18:47:54

Here is what Don says about it :

"The 5U4GB-WC has more of an organic sound because it has a little more softness in delivery of power. Useful for tubes that tend to be on the harsh side like the 6N1P-EV and the 6P15P-EV.

The 5AR4-WC delivers power with a touch more punch but is still nice and organic in nature. "

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #311 - 08/05/22 at 19:02:44

I rolled both CryoTone 5A4s and 5U4s into my Torii. FWISW, I found both sounded excellent and a noticeable improvement over the original 5U4s that came with my Torii from Decware. My preference: 5A4s. I placed one of the 5u4s into my CSP 2+ preamp, so it also plays a significant role in my overall sound production.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #312 - 08/07/22 at 01:57:31

Don Wrote his new Cryogenic  Rectifier is Quote:
Useful for tubes that tend to be on the harsh side like the 6N1P-EV and the 6P15P-EV.

Does that mean he is saying UFO's comes with stock tubes that tend to be harsh  ::)
oh The Rachel too
Oh My what should I do

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #313 - 08/07/22 at 02:13:24

BicycleJoe Lo-Fi,

Don't worry you have a little time to figure it out.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #314 - 08/10/22 at 04:46:15

Quote:
Does that mean he is saying UFO's comes with stock tubes that tend to be harsh  ::)

We all know that the 6N1P is warm and smooth, so at first I couldn't understand the comment.  I even talked to Don about it by phone.  I still didn't understand until tonight when I realized that he is used to hearing stuff that he has treated.  One of the things treatment does is reduce the sound of graininess, replacing it with density and smoothness.  I am sure his ear keys on this or he wouldn't be able to do what he does.  So listening to a cryo treated tube of his probably comes off as smoother even if it has more detail.

I will find out as I plan to listen to the stock 6N1P vs, a Cryotone version of it to confirm my suspicions and will report the results of what I hear soon.

As soon as I do this I will also be doing the 6P15P vs the Cryotone version in the SE84UFO amplifiers. There will be a full report on that as well.  I've already listened to the Cryotone versions enough to know you'll probably want some.  These tubes are really special, as they say Cryotone on one side and Zen on the other.  I will post pics when I do the test.

-Steve : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Cryotone
Reply #315 - 08/22/22 at 03:16:41

UPDATE 8-21-2022

I am listening to our SE84UFO25 with a full compliment of Cryotone tubes. Over the past two years I have rolled the very best N.O.S. tubes through it, all were great but this is really killing it. The difference isn't subtle. It takes this amplifiers ability to make sounds just pop out of thin air to a new level.  It feels like it has more power too. Even on modest speakers the difference is amazing. The longer I listen to these tubes and go back and forth between amps with and without the more sold I am.

For those lurkers who may not even own a Decware amplifier, and are thinking this Cryotone stuff is a gimmick... it's not. And for those who think other Cryo companies take it to this level, they don't. Don and Roger sent me a pair of the 300B's to evaluate not long ago and in the process of treating them, they broke two pair. Those tubes aren't cheap and Don well knows how to treat them without any risk of breaking them. This is why we get along so well because I also push the envelope often at great expense to myself so I can relate.

This has been my first real experience with the new Cryotone 6P15P-WC output tubes in a Zen Triode and I couldn't be more pleased. Seriously. I remember back in 2000 when I was looking into equipment to cryo treat our stuff. It was too much money. I turned to a company that was already doing it and had them cryo treat some of these same output tubes. My first impression which I can clearly remember, was that the highs are gone. The tubes were smoother but lacked dynamics and sounded rolled off. I never used them after the initial testing because I didn't like the sound.

Compared to that "treated" or should we say "mistreated" pair of output tubes, the Cryotone are in a completely different world.  They have more of everything while getting buttery smooth and dense.  Nothing is lost, there are no tradeoffs.  So it comes easy for me to believe that all the social media arguments over the validity of Cryo Treatment is meaningless because none of these people have heard Cryotone, or are aware of their process.

So the Cryotone 6P15P-WC tubes for the Zen Triode amplifiers are a THUMBS UP in my book!

Steve

P.S.  If you are looking to invest in Cryotone tubes because you're not happy with the way your stereo sounds, it is the wrong reason and your results will be limited. (see below)  If on the other hand you love your sound and doubt it can get better...that would be the right reason.

We only hear the fidelity rise to the limitations placed upon it by the weakest link in the chain.  That chain being the entire component path, speakers, placement, cables, connectors and room acoustics.  Only a single one in this rather long chain of variables will limit the whole show.  It's like taking DSD and smashing it down to MP3.  In systems that have minimized all off these weak links to a point where the chain becomes fairly strong, something like these tubes can be the difference between aged stakes and hamburger.  At that point the cost pays for itself quickly.  A bad room, or cables, or speaker placement, etc., etc., is like burning your tongue and then ordering stake and complaining that it tastes like hamburger and then requesting a $200 bottle of special salt to try and make it taste better.

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #316 - 08/22/22 at 11:20:57

Quote:
.  If you are looking to invest in Cryotone tubes because you're not happy with the way your stereo sounds, it is the wrong reason and your results will be limited. (see below)  If on the other hand you love your sound and doubt it can get better...that would be the right reason.

We only hear the fidelity rise to the limitations placed upon it by the weakest link in the chain.  That chain being the entire component path, speakers, placement, cables, connectors and room acoustics.  Only a single one in this rather long chain of variables will limit the whole show.  It's like taking DSD and smashing it down to MP3.  In systems that have minimized all off these weak links to a point where the chain becomes fairly strong, something like these tubes can be the difference between aged stakes and hamburger.  At that point the cost pays for itself quickly.  A bad room, or cables, or speaker placement, etc., etc., is like burning your tongue and then ordering stake and complaining that it tastes like hamburger and then requesting a $200 bottle of special salt to try and make it taste better.

Very wise advice!

Like free range chickens compared to caged; wild caught salmon compared to farmed; hydroponic vegetables compared to backyard the pallet don't deceive and so do the ears when the music plays.

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #317 - 08/22/22 at 16:10:29

What input tube and rectifier were you using Steve?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #318 - 08/22/22 at 16:28:32

Maybe we express ourselves differently but I certainly would not say the Cryotone output tubes (6P15) are in "a totally different world." I do think there's an improvement, the process removing a bit of lower treble mud is how I hear it. We all hear things and describe things differently. I hope they last about three times longer than those untreated as that's about the price difference. . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #319 - 08/22/22 at 18:06:28

Like I posted before:

According to Don, the Cryotones don't wane off in terms of SQ as they age; they sound great like they did just burned in, all the way to their eventual death.

If true, this is utterly remarkable and one of the greatest reasons to buy them no matter what else, period. Anyone disagree?

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #320 - 08/22/22 at 21:06:09

This doesn't seem a difference than my experience with the best NOS signal and rectifier tubes I've owned. New production. . . well maybe that's different. . . I sort of give up on new production tubes early so don't know how they sound when they get old. Power tubes. . . they do fade a bit before being really inferior. We only have the claim of the company really that these wouldn't do that. And there's no longevity history on these tubes yet to factor in. In my case I don't mind changing power tubes every year or so and I have about 20 pair in reserve and at this point would rather buy from Steve than Cryotone at considerably higher Cryotone prices. Just my personal choice.

Hoping to have a 300B experience next and will probably spring for a hopefully five year experience with Western Electric tubes.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #321 - 08/25/22 at 04:01:17

CYROTONE UPDATE

Some important revelations about the Cryotone 300B tubes in our Sarah amplifier!

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393/506#506

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #322 - 08/27/22 at 03:33:02

As I continue to listen to the Cryotone 300B tube break in I came to an analogy that I think captures the difference in sound between the stock JJ and this tube.  It's really quite a bit like listening to the difference between 33 and 45 RPM LPs.  If you like the extra resolution, dynamics and presence of 45 RPM than this is a nice step in that direction. Which is to say that this seems to really be a common denominator with all Cryotone tubes.  It is how I would describe the "Cryotone Sound".

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #323 - 08/27/22 at 03:49:29

Quote:
According to Don, the Cryotones don't wane off in terms of SQ as they age; they sound great like they did just burned in, all the way to their eventual death.

If true, this is utterly remarkable and one of the greatest reasons to buy them no matter what else, period. Anyone disagree?

Brad

As I understand it, the reason tubes gradually wear out in the first place is because the coatings on the cathode break down.  It seems logical to assume that the coating quality would be enhanced by the Cryotone process as would be the metals underneath it. My guess is the emissions over time plot angle changes shape from a slope to more of a level line with a steeper roll off at the end -- but it's just speculation because I'm not the Cryo guru.

If it proves to be true and I'm sure it will, it IS a game changer, because I have lost count of the number of people who have ridden their pony until the legs wore down to nubs.  Usually takes 5 to 7 years of daily operation and by the time something becomes obvious you can congratulate yourself for listening to the amp sound like crap for at least 3 years... soft, slow, weak.  No different than taking your speakers out into the garage every year and replacing them with cheaper ones.

Steve : )

WWW   IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #324 - 08/27/22 at 15:17:43

This is the avantage of solid state, you don't change your electronic components every 5 years.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #325 - 08/27/22 at 16:03:51

This is an article from 1944 on the technical aspects of a tube and the different components inside the valve and the metallurgy base metals and the coatings. It was during World War II that many supply shortages were created because of the war. It was the beginning of making compromises in the manufacturing as opposed to the classic years when they use platinum, titanium, silver and gold. Tubes are no longer manufactured in this method, most of these metals are un-obtainium or on the list of heavy metals no longer safe to use and have been replaced by substitute coatings.  There are several substitute coatings and not all are of the highest quality or purity necessary for premium sound qualities. Using the highest purity coatings available is paramount to good sound.

Enjoy the article, it explains why current production tubes do not measure up compared to a true NOS. Top of the line tubes like the Western Electric do everything they can to deliver the highest quality all of the Chinese tube‘s have the same hereditary they just have different factories summer new companies but it is still the same industry only privatized.
I really do not know JJ.

https://www.effectrode.com/knowledge-base/chemical-highlights-of-tube-manufactur...

HEATING THE PLATE ON THE EXHAUST MACHINE. The water-cooled copper coil shown around the tube carries the high frequency current to make the plate red hot.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #326 - 08/31/22 at 05:10:29

Quote:
This is the advantage of solid state, you don't change your electronic components every 5 years.

If you mean output devices, it's true. They're soldered in. They only get replaced if you short the speaker wires together and blow one or more up. But yes, you are of course right. It as well as the consistency and lower costs are a big appeal and in most cases is the most cost effective solution.

But, just to play devil advocate... a little story.

Prior to going online and manufacturing tube amplifiers, Decware was a pro audio company that designed and installed sound systems for primarily night clubs.  We would scratch build all the speakers and use off the shelf amplification.  We did that and also re-coned loudspeakers and designed competition car audio systems. Thanks to solid state amplifiers this trio of businesses meant there was no shortage of blown speakers to fix.

The biggest problem in most of these clubs was amplification. We typically ran 400 watt RMS amplifiers into each driver to keep the headroom up and ran Imperial Folded Horns for subs. You could feel the bass in your chest when you drove by outside in your car.

But no matter how good you make it, they will try to clip it. Club owners, and DJ's are not a sound systems friends.

Anyway since they are played every day for 12 hours at near clipping levels and beyond, after about 6 months the amps would get tired.  The bass hit would soften and the distortion would go up.  The transistors were beaten to near death. We would install new amps and everything would sound great again. After a few years this got cumbersome and expensive.

To solve the problem we designed and built 60 watt class AB tube amplifiers using KT88 output tubes or 6550 and replaced all the solid state amplifiers in all of our systems. The 400 watt amplifiers were replaced with 60 watt tube amplifiers. The bass hit was so much deeper and the rest of the music sounded far more listenable, juicy and forgiving. And actually got louder. There were no more blown or worn out speakers, and every year we replaced the output tubes in each amplifier (instead of the entire amplifier) and everything sounded brand new again.  It saved us many thousands of dollars as well as the club owners.  That was in the early 1990s and apparently people still talk about those Decware systems today in our local club scene.

Just sayin...

WWW   IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #327 - 08/31/22 at 08:44:44

So my little note was useful .....juste to get your lovely enlightning story, thanks Steve ! Give us more like this.
BTW, my UFO is going to be built soon.....I sweat  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #328 - 09/01/22 at 02:46:17

Getting back to the Cryotone 300B tubes.  I have been enjoying them for awhile now.  While the tube sounds very different from the WE300B, it has that same make me stop working and walk into the sweet spot over and over because the sound is just so good.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #329 - 09/01/22 at 05:00:48

Quote:
Later in the month I will be doing some evaluations of the Cryotone 6N1P-WC.

Curious about these tubes. Haven't tried any of the 9 pins yet.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #330 - 09/01/22 at 05:17:05

Same here, Joseph. I’d be interested in trying them.
The 5670 is very detailed but rather thin. I think I recall Lon saying something similar. It sounds great for voices, acoustic guitar, or violin but weak on anything with bottom end.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #331 - 09/01/22 at 14:36:48

Manny....

I have the Cryotone 5670 in my CSP 2+, and I agree with your detailed report, but I have not experienced it weak at the bottom end.  Maybe that is because all the tubes in the preamp are Cryotones, so it functions better/differently within that set.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #332 - 09/02/22 at 02:05:07

Hmm, that’s interesting Tony. I’ll have to keep listening to it.
I’m comparing it against the Wathan ECC88 and running Wathan 6p15p’s for power tubes.
Could be your speakers just have a little more oomph than mine.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #333 - 09/07/22 at 20:42:02

Tony, I have to agree with you.  I just got a new streamer and yeah, the bottom end is nice and tight on the 5670.  Not over the top, but quite lovely.  I'm actually really enjoying this tube today on a variety of music.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #334 - 09/13/22 at 03:03:58

I have so far found the tube to have a good balance in everything I've tried it in.  I like the tight resolution in the midrange.  Today I am using it with an adapter in the Sarah 300B amplifier and it's great!

Word of warning... this is not the same adapter that one would use in most Decware amplifiers.  Sometime these adapters will have pins 4 and 5 shorted together and then use pin 9.  That works great in an amplifier wired for 12AX7's using 6.3 volts, but in an amplifier wired for 12AX7's using 12.6 volts it will burn up your amplifier.  Same if you use it in a Decware amplifier expecting a 6N1P/6922, it will burn up your amplifier.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #335 - 09/20/22 at 04:03:41

The 5670 in Sarah is smoking my brain!  You have to read this post:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393/542#542

WWW   IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #336 - 09/20/22 at 13:30:17

Quote:
I have so far found the tube to have a good balance in everything I've tried it in.

6N1P is for sale on the Cryotone website. Getting the feeling 5670 is preferred. Anyone try the 6NIP yet?

Only down side using the Wathen CryoTone not turning on your system knowing your short on time. Once you begin it's difficult to stop.

Shake it baby if you like this song do a nasty little dance every time I turn it on.

Joseph

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #337 - 09/20/22 at 13:59:07

I have one on order but yet to receive it. Been playing with the 5670 off and on but I prefer the ECC88. It took a while for it to find its magic place but now when I don’t have it in it just sounds like something is missing. Excited to try the new 6n1p though.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #338 - 09/20/22 at 15:11:15

Manny, Looking forward to hear your thoughts on the 6n1p.

IP Logged
JazztoGo

Reply #339 - 09/20/22 at 17:52:32

Hello everyone,  I have not posted on this site for a long time, but I do read it often.  I have been buying decware stuff for years and current setuyp is Anniversary 25 amp and csp3 preamp with anny mods.  I recently purchased and recieved some tubes from Cyrotone for my csp3.  Now pretty sure my tubes in there were wearing down as I have not changed them in years and they play all day.  With the new tubes everything just got better for my system, bass, treble, impact, space and now just playing around with songs.  Don was amazing to deal with and talk to.  I dont really know much about tubes or cyroing tubes but what i do know for me it made a very nice improvement alround.  I also should mention i dont really have any expensive nos tubes.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #340 - 09/21/22 at 00:21:57

Quote:
Don was amazing to deal with and talk to.

Hi JazztoGo, totally agree with you. Asked Don about the 6n1p last time we spoke. Little early in the process to talk about it. Was hoping to get some third party perspective about the 9 pin tubes. Don is great to chat with if you have any problems or questions.

Joseph

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #341 - 09/24/22 at 05:08:19

6N1P will be our next evaluation... but today it is all about the Cryotone 12AU7-WCL Long Plate gold pin tubes...

Please read this post in the 300B development thread:  https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1649817393/544#544

WWW   IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #342 - 10/01/22 at 15:41:14

Following up on the cryo 6n1p I’ve got over 100 hours on this tube and starting to get a feel for it. I’ve tried a number of tubes of varying quality since ditching my solid state amp and prior to trying the Wathan tubes the best for me was a random 6n1p I bought as a set of four on eBay for $11.95 from Russia. For whatever reason one random tube in this set just sounds great, better than some NOS 6n5p, a black plate, and a Decware 6n5p, all of which are lovely.
Eventually I kicked up the cash to get the Wathan power tubes and the ECC88 pre. The 88 has been my go-to now, as I said above, everything else just sounds like something is missing. It has a slight eq effect that seems to accentuate the attack and resonance on bass and drums, with a crazy deep sound stage. Now trying the Wathan 6n1p, the 6n1p doesn’t stand out as accentuating anything. It’s just incredibly balanced and smooth. It doesn’t have any apparent boosts or cuts but it doesn’t sound like anything is missing either or leave me feeling like I need more of something. The sound stage isn’t quite as deep as the 88 but it is much wider. I would say if I could only have one tube the 6n1p would be the one. In many ways it sounds like the 5670 but doesn’t leave me with the “something’s missing” feeling.
Switching back to my original 6n1ps it is quickly apparent what a smooth tube these are, but the cryo magic is immediately apparent. I’m hoping they last as long as they are reported to but really the price isn’t that bad considering what we spend on everything else. There is slightly less gain on the 6n1p but don’t let that steer you away. I can still easily hit 100dbs with room to spare with 2 watts into f-15s, not that I ever listen much over 80db.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #343 - 10/03/22 at 04:49:37

Manny,

I'm happy to hear that the 6n1p has the Wathan magic. Was hoping it would. Great description of that magic.

Joseph

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #344 - 10/08/22 at 17:02:52

Nice to see Don at Decfest. Wish I went even more. His descriptions and insight are spot on. Talking with Don about his tubes can lead to a very satisfying purchase.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #345 - 10/29/22 at 00:36:11

Yep these Wathen 6n1ps sure are clean and smooth. In the Torii gain is not lacking. Nice strong tube. Far superior than the stock 6n1ps that came with my amp. Comparable to a store-bought tomato to a homegrown tomato. If you like tomatoes.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #346 - 10/29/22 at 00:47:57

I have an MKV that will be shipping soon, and have no current tube stock.

I've considered buying the Cryotone MKV package that is offered, but have to save my sheckels.

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #347 - 10/29/22 at 13:13:55

Dr3wman,

I suggest waiting until you have some time on the amp before making a tube choice. My MKV was on the thin and lean side for the first 20-30 hours. Then the midrange and bass came in and it's glorious. The tubes will also need 20+ hours to settle.

40+ hours the amp is still changing.

Once you have 50ish hours decide if you want to keep the sound signature or change direction. Tube selection can radically change the way the amp sounds.

The discussions on the Torii MKIV tube rolling will be applicable to the MKV. You can also start a tread in the MKV section and get some suggestions.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #348 - 10/29/22 at 16:12:24

I really appreciate your advice/insight. Seems like a pretty prudent course of action.

Thank you,

Andrew

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Glenn
Verified Member

Reply #349 - 10/31/22 at 15:16:24

I am looking for advice matching Cyrotone tubes to UFO25 stock tubes. I have added the Cyrotone 6P15Ps to my UFO25 and can hear the difference. Any recommendations re Cyrotone tube to use in place of the Decware tobes that came with my amp? I am currently using the OA3 Voltage Regulator tube (on the Cyrotone site they seem to favour the OD3 for UFO25 amps with their bundles, but i have found the i prefer the OA3 to the OD3 provided with the UFO25 by Decware). Also, i am currently using the 6N5P input tube - but do not see this on the Cyrotone web site. Any thoughts which Cyrotone tube i should try in its place.

Thanks in advance for all thought!

Niagara 1200, Sonos Port streamer, Denafrips Hermes DDC, Denafrips Pontus II DAC, Denafrips Athena pre-amp, Decware UFO25 amplifier, Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print