Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 00:38:38 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video (Read 55218 times)
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Re:  CYROTONE Tubes by Don Thomas - New Video
Reply #100 - 05/17/22 at 02:07:00

Aloha All,

I haven’t been following the thread lately as I’m very busy designing two houses to be built on my property.  For the sake of efficiency, I’ve eliminated nearly all things related to “wasting time on the internet” of which audiophile internet forums are enemy #1 for me.

Quick comment about Don’s cyro treatment.  According to him, and I have no way of independently verifying his claims, but he says that his cryo treatment is dramatically more advanced and sophisticated than what is typically termed cryo tube treatment.  I gather from that that his form of treatment required a substantially larger equipment financial investment to achieve than what is typically called tube cryo treatment.

I’m 100 hours in on the CryoTone 12AU7 for the ZR2, and the ECC88 for the CSP3 input spot.

With the ZRock2 in the down position on the back, which I believe is just the bass boost without the treble attenuation (and is how I normally utilize the ZRock), the CryoTone tubes remain a bit too hot and spicy for my tastes.  With those settings, I much prefer my Mazda and RCA NOS 12AU7’s (from Brent Jesse), and the run of the mill Russian (boo Russia) 6N1P that came with the CSP3.

However, once I put the rear switch of the ZR2 in the up position and put it around 3 o’clock, the CryoTone tubes chili pepper nature was tamed in a pleasing fashion allowing me to not be so annoyed with the top end and pay more attention to the rest.

And the rest has impressed me so far.  I’m only a Norah Jones and Dire Straits SACD into it, but it does sound pretty good.  Have yet to try non-A+ material.

Shall give it another 100 hours (about a week) to reach 200 and make a final decision.  And even if I decide to keep them, they will not take me off the NOS bandwagon in the least.  I would keep the CryoTone just for the sake of variety, like having another phono cartridge in the drawer for something different.

At 100 hours, and the ZRock2 adjustment, they have done enough to warrant another week of break in.  The sound is bigger and wider, something I value.  Bass has more impact than my Mazda, even on the less bass heavy ZR2 up switch setting.

But without the ZR2 attenuating the treble a touch, these would be going back.  Once again, another ZRock2 miracle.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 05/17/22 at 17:50:42

Did more listening.  I think break in has not changed things that much. The change I’ve heard is mostly from monkeying with the ZRock.

My NOS win handily on tone and the ability to play a wide range of audio qualities extremely well.  

The CryoTone have a larger soundstage and are more holographic.  They have an extra gear on A+ recordings that is very impressive.  And conversely are a bit more punishing of B grade recordings, but not too bad in that regard.  Not DirectStream punishing.

The CryoTone have more bass.  I’m a bass fanatic, but at times it was even too much bass for me.  Flight of the Cosmic Hippo (very deep bass) actually clipped for the first time in my music listening career and I had to dial the ZR2 back to noon.

With 100 hours of break in to go, if I had to pick one set to live with, it would be my NOS recipe because of its tone and more forgiving nature.  I find the notion of punishing recordings I love off putting.

But that extra CryoTone gear on A to A+ recordings is very appealing.  It takes those recordings to a step higher.  And the increase on the holographic front is very nice.

I wonder what would happen if 1960’s NOS tubes received the CryoTone treatment?  Would it merge the best of the two worlds?

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 05/17/22 at 21:16:06

Wow, you can afford to listen an average of 16 hours a day? Amazing...

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 05/17/22 at 21:39:42

Break in is 16 hours per day with amp off… but yes, I am wealthy enough to afford the power bill.

Smiley

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #104 - 05/18/22 at 16:38:38

Fresh out of the box, my input tube displays no edginess.  Most of the additional detail is in the bass region in my system.  Soundstage equal or better than the NOS I was using.

I'm intrigued enough to think about buying power tubes.

We'll see how they mature.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #105 - 05/18/22 at 17:51:21

With the two WE300B tubes approaching 150 hours, and the three Cryotone 6SN7 tubes nearing the 50 hour mark in my 300B amp, the resolution and detail of my system is astonishing.  I’m still using four relatively new stock tubes in my CSP3, but will soon equip it with all Cryotone brand tubes.  When that happens, I expect to see another step up in sound quality, though I don’t see how that is possible at this point in time.

Western Electric and Cryotone for life!

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 05/18/22 at 18:00:52

Yes, I agree that CryoTone brings additional detail and resolution.  On many recordings, that represents an improvement in sound quality over NOS, and to others of lesser ilk - in my opinion - a less pleasing sound.

I’ve faced this, as Steve Guttenberg calls is it, the “resolution vs euphonic” quandary in the past.  

A branch of audiophile ideology seeks ever more resolution as the holy grail, while others prefer more temperate ground.  Just a matter of personal taste.  CryoTone certainly tips the scales in the resolution direction. If that’s what you seek, buy the CryoTone without hesitation.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 05/18/22 at 19:24:04

We've heard a little about the 6sn7 NOS tubes being used and comparison to the cryotone.

What other NOS input tubes (brand, tube type, date of mfr) are being compared to cryotone. I have liked the sound 1960s Amperex 7308 & Mullard 6922 provide to my Torii mkiv. I listen to vinyl primarily. Plenty of detail and dynamics, while maintaining tube mid-range tone. I personally dislike the Russian tubes Steve sells. They sound bland, though not edgy sound like new production can produce.

Finally, what cryotone power tubes have been tried so far, besides the 300? Compared to what other tubes?

Please note the year, tube type, and brand of tubes compared to the cryotone.

Thanks and peace to you all

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #108 - 05/18/22 at 20:36:38

Interesting that people find more bass or good bass from the Cryotone tubes as I found less bass from the 6SN7, if there were more bass I would have them in use in my main system right now.

I'm with John regarding tone. I used to love Amperex 7308 as the top tier, and Steve's 6N5P with just the right rectifiers are very good. There was something I was lacking with those tube types that I found in the RCA Gray Glass 6NS7. This week I compared the Cryotone to my new standards, Amperex 6085 with adapters. For my room and system they have the "extra" of the Cryotone that I like, and the right warmth and tone.

For me it's all about the full complement--voltage regulator, rectifier, input, output. I'm waiting to try out Steve's output tubes with the Cryotone treatment, I'm not interested in using EL84.

I also should probably note that I am tuning by "gain riding" with gain settings from my source, my preamp, my ZBIT, ZROCK2 and my Monoblocks and also with "modes" and settings on my P15 regenerator; there's a world of different ways the final outcome can be produced.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 05/18/22 at 22:47:02

Well said, Lon. Each of us is coming at the goal of preferred sound different ways. I am not using a preamp with my Torii mkiv. I have found the late 1960s and early 70s Russian 6L6 equivalents, with SED 5U4g rectifiers to sync well with the 7308/6922 tube types. I'm a sucker for tube warmth with clarity. Plus, I'm using a vinyl rig.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dac in the $200-300 range? I apologize for mixing topics.

IP Logged
Kirk
Verified Member

Reply #110 - 05/19/22 at 01:07:48

Just popped in a Wathen ECC88 in my UFO2.  It's all true what they say about these tubes.  Love it.  Old familiar music has more detail and depth.

SE84UFO2, CSP3, ZP3/ZMC2, Klipsch Jubilees, ZLC, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (Modwright), Rega Planar 3, Ortofon Quintet Blue MC, GR-Research and Decware cables
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #111 - 05/19/22 at 02:43:48

Kirk,

Thanks for the feedback!  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 05/20/22 at 06:07:28

I see that the 6P15P tubes are on their site now.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #113 - 05/20/22 at 12:48:52

Kirk I am pretty green on tubes. My UFO2 is breaking in, about 600 hours now. This tube you poped in is the input single tube?

Thxs Randall

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #114 - 05/20/22 at 13:19:50

Yes, they are now offering the power tubes sourced from Steve.

https://www.wathenspeakers.com/store/p58/6P15P-WC.html

Even though I'm disappointed with the 6SN7 I bought from them and may sell them, these 6P15P-EV tubes are a known  and long time used tube for me--I ordered a pair,  and I hope the Cryotone process will improve them--they cost twice what they do from Steve.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #115 - 05/20/22 at 15:40:05

Quote:
I hope the Cryotone process will improve them--they cost twice what they do from Steve.

Try 4 times as much - Steve's are $60 a pair - Cryotone's are $119 each, if i'm reading it correctly.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #116 - 05/20/22 at 15:57:10

Well, you're right, I just looked at my last invoice which was for 2 pair for 109 total, I was thinking it was for only 1 pair.

If I get three years or so out of a pair and they sound better it will be worth it. (I get about a year out of a pair previously these last few years).

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #117 - 05/20/22 at 17:59:39

Lon, according to Don, he will allow you to return any tubes you don’t like for refund or exchange. That’s what he offered me over the phone.

I’m at about 180 hours of break in.  As a reminder, my chain goes:

Marantz SACD 30n —> ZR2 —> CSP3 —> Marantz Model 30 (in power amp mode)

I bought a 12AU7 for the ZR2, and a ECC88 for the CSP3.

I’ve concluded that two JJ CryoTone’s are too spicy for my system, both on top and down low.  Keep in mind I have lots of solid state bass to begin with.  The ZR2 on the up setting adds too much bass in order to attenuate the treble which leads to an odd, unnatural  mix at times.  And the ZR2 down switch is just too much heat.

Last night using SACDs of “Midnight Blue” and the Dire Straits first album, I found a very nice tonal balance using a 1960’s RCA 12AU7 in the ZR2, and the CryoTone ECC88 in the CSP3 input tube spot.

The RCA provided plenty of rich bass without being too much, and also naturally cooled down the CryoTone.  The result was nice warm  NOS tone with some of the DirectStream like detail of the CryoTone.  And all that happened with the ZR2 rear switch down, which is no treble attenuation.  My theory is that the transparent nature of the CryoTone allowed yet more of the fabulous upstream RCA tone to shine.

At least on the A+ recordings.  Tonight I’ll see how it fares with my more terrestrial recordings.

I’m inclined at this point to return at least the 12AU7 as I don’t see it unseating my NOS in the ZR2.  But I’m very hopeful about keeping the CryoTone ECC88 in the CSP3 as I think it’s an upgrade over the stock Russians.  Should know for sure by Monday.  

Maybe exchanging it for the 6N1P would be wise? I wonder if the underlying JJ is not best for me?  Perhaps Steve’s tubes CryoToned would be better?  Not sure I can handle another 200 hour break in regimen!

I think what we read on the forum about specific tubes only has limited value because our systems and tastes vary so much.  It’s a bit like us all cooking a curry and sharing precisely how much of which spice we added.

But given Don will accept returns or exchanges, we have nothing to lose in giving CryoTone a try.   It’s all about how you like your curry.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #118 - 05/20/22 at 19:55:04

Lon,

You're only getting one year of use out of an input tube. How many hours per day do you listen to your system?

Do you leave your system on throughout the day even if not listening to it?

Dancingsea, what input tubes have you tried besides Steve's Russian?

Peace

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #119 - 05/20/22 at 19:58:28

I would say my Monoblocks are on about 30 to 40 hours a week. I could get more months out of them and used to, but they clearly start to decline in sonic quality after about a year's use so I now compare them to new broken in tubes after about 11 months and they usually are found lacking in overall balance and replaced between 11 and 13 months.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #120 - 05/20/22 at 20:13:54

John, I'm not a "return things" guy unless things are clearly defective. I'll keep these and play with them especially when the new 6P15P-CW tubes arrive, and then if they still are lower tier tubes for me I'll sell them at a discounted price to someone who may want to try them in their own system.

I have no doubt someone else will really like them as I seem to think almost everyone likes a brighter presentation than I do, my high end hearing is still good and one audiologist suggested I may have a condition where my ears overreact to higher frequency sound when I talked to him about audio playback. I've never pursued this further but the ZROCK2 has been a godsend for me, as well as the "Lon" treble cut circuit. Wink

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #121 - 05/20/22 at 20:40:08

Safebelayer - I’ve only had the CSP3 for about 2 months, so I’ve only experienced Steve’s stock Russian and the JJ CryoTone. My next experiment will likely be with Mullard NOS.

Lon, please do tell, what is the Lon Treble Cut Circuit?

I wore my Decware one year club T-shirt to Whole Foods and Costco. With the increase in orders I thought surely a fellow Decware person would come and say high.  But alas, no one batted an eye lash…

Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #122 - 05/20/22 at 20:43:11

That's a Treble Cut Circuit that is available for amps, shunted some high frequency signal to ground so it was a tone control outside of the signal path; came stock with some Torii models and I may be the only one who had it added to SE84UFO3 Monoblocks. Steve joked that it should be called the "Lon Treble Cut Circuit" because I seem to be the only one who has requested it to be added to amps and talk about it. (This was in response to someone suggesting an amp be named after me which I thought was ridiculous, Steve turned that on its head pretty cleverly I think).

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 05/20/22 at 21:29:38

The Decware “Lon Amp” would surely have a full fledged ZRock baked right in!

Oops, here we go again…

Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #124 - 05/20/22 at 21:57:02

Let's not go there.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 05/20/22 at 22:12:54

DS,

I highly recommend the amperex 7308 as well as 60s Mullard 6922. Depending on your warmth vs resolution preference, others love Siemens and Telefunken. I have not enjoyed any European tubes made from the 70s or newer. Ymmv.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #126 - 05/20/22 at 23:18:04

Safebelayer - thank you, I shall add those to the top
of the list to explore.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 05/21/22 at 22:00:18

Out of curiosity, in terms of the health of the CSP3’s tube sockets, how often is it ok to change tubes?  Can this be done often, even daily?

Or is tube rolling meant to be done periodically?

I ask because the cryotone ECC88 is shaping up to be an A+ SACD specialist in my sonic world.  It lacks the old school warmth to be my everyday tube.  But I don’t want to traumatize the CSP3’s tube sockets by regularly switching in the cryotone just for those rarified SACDs.

Guidance appreciated.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #128 - 05/22/22 at 01:09:25

Good idea Lin, thanks.  I’m new to the CSP3, do seasoned owners normally use a socket saver?  I’m not clear how big of an issue socket wear is.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 05/22/22 at 01:40:31

Socket savers. CAUTION!

Try listening to a tube with and without the socket saver. I have found they can alter the sound...not always, but sometimes. Good luck.

Peace

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #130 - 05/22/22 at 01:59:09

The socket savers I’ve tried haven’t worked very well for me. The tubes fit so tight in it, that instead of being able to get the tube out of the socket saver, the whole tube and socket saver want to come out of the socket. Is there something I’m missing, or can some recommend a saver brand that might work better?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 05/22/22 at 02:22:32

The socket saver on the Tube Depot link costs $2.49 which does not inspire confidence.  Perhaps if we Cryo treat it things will improve….
Undecided

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #132 - 05/22/22 at 02:36:43

Geno: The tubes fit so tight in it, that instead of being able to get the tube out of the socket saver, the whole tube and socket saver want to come out of the socket.

Facts.

DS, I would recommend not changing the tube(s) daily. Practically speaking, it takes 20-50 hours to know if a tube will work well. As you can now tell, I don't buy into the 100 hours of break-in.

Once you find some tubes you really like, it is time to focus on enjoying music. I'm encouraging you to not chase the perfect tube or, even worse, tube allotment. You'll spend tons of money and time and miss out lots of great tunes.

Peace

IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #133 - 05/22/22 at 02:41:18

Purchase socket savers in pairs at least. They should be tight when you get them. You prepare them for use by plugging and unplugging them into one another, roughly ten times each should work. Then, start plugging tubes into them.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 05/22/22 at 04:20:54

Safebelayer wrote:

Quote:
Once you find some tubes you really like, it is time to focus on enjoying music.

Yes, that’s the plan.  I’m just trying to find a way to make the CryoTone JJ ECC88 work for me.  As mentioned, they sound great on my A+ audiophile recordings.  My hope was I could just pop them in whenever I listen to those - like adjusting a DAC filter.  But if I’d have to leave them in for weeks at a time, then I’m not so sure.

I have a solid state power amp and rely upon the CSP3/ ZR2 to provide nourishing warmth.  The CryoTone are very audiophile and transparent, which has its place for sure - they’re great tubes for that - but perhaps not what’s right for my euphonic gumbo.

I’m thinking the Amperex and Mullard will be better suited for me.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 05/22/22 at 18:49:22

Anywho, here's the rub.  Like Lon, I find the JJ Cryotone to have too much treble at times.  The ZRock2 can attenuate the treble, but cannot do so independently from increasing the bass.  The result is getting the treble cooled down often, in my system, leads to too much bass.  And for that reason I will return them and wait to read the reports of how Steve's tubes sound after the CryoTone treatment - which essentially means waiting to see what Lon says.

I'm curious if the spiciness is from the JJ foundation, or from the CryoTone treatment itself.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #136 - 05/22/22 at 21:27:23

Lon,

I'm following up on the discussion of buying new input tubes every year after 1500-2000 hours of use (30-40 per week) That's the premise.

I use 6922 type tubes that are rated up to 10,000 hours. I recognize the tube is degrading throughout its usable life. Have you tested your one year old tubes? If so, how did they test compared to new? Which tubes have you used and how did those tubes hold up?

I ask these questions to further my understanding of tube life and utility.

If anyone else wants to contribute to this discussion, please do.

If Steve would add his understanding to this, would be greatly appreciated.

I might add that stating one tube is better than another is frought with fragility. All ears aren't created equally. Shape, acuity, and environment are always different. Stereo components are also unequal. No two components are identical in construction. Micro differences in wire length and thickness. Etc, etc, etc. Therefore, any given tube type and brand will be affected. I might have a high frequency hearing deficiency, which has me liking tubes that particularly emphasize such. Just to be clear, hearing deficiencies occur in multiple ways. It isn't just high, mid or low frequency deficits. People suffer different effects from any specific type of hearing loss.

My point to this discourse is that some, including Steve and his being "uniquely able" to make the claim cryotone are the best tubes, will claim a best tube, but it's only best to them. Lon, Will and myself each like different tubes in their respective amps. Each of us have had the Torii. We do not have the same cables, speakers, front end, software (streamed signal, cd, vinyl), rooms, room treatments or lack thereof, so on and so forth. Steve has an opinion and he has probably acknowledged it is just his opinion, when it comes to what sounds best.

Enough said.

Peace

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 05/22/22 at 21:56:41

Well said Safebelayer.

It’s worth noting that beyond sound quality, Steve has an additional motivation that is less directly pressing to Decware customers seeking to tube roll.  The same motivation that brought about the creation of CryoTone.  Namely a reliable supply of sonically consistent, durable, and readily available tubes.  I’m sure the Russian sanction situation has only furthered that concern given Russia and China’s tenuous relationship to the western world, and made CryoTone that much more appealing.

I’m unclear why the USA government has not decided to invest the same $52B they have into domestic chip production into USA based tube manufacturing. That’s a head scratcher…

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #138 - 05/22/22 at 22:38:30

SB, I was referring solely to the output tubes in my Monoblocks and my Torri which have been the tubes purchased from Steve that he selects, tests and matches. They are not rated for 10,000 hours like many input tubes are. Far less.

From using these for a large part of more than two decades of Decware amp usage I have learned that though I can keep using them longer, they start to decay from their optimum in my systems after about a year's use. In the past I have not clearly realized that and after about a year I found myself making adjustments here and there to get optimal sound. A few years ago I did realize that the tubes were beginning to decay after about a year and began doing what Steve has suggested as a method: replacing them with new tubes and seeing if there was a significant difference. I found that after about 12 or 13 months there was a significant difference that showed the older power tubes were beginning to decline in both frequency extremes and beginning to be curtailed in dynamics. So when they get to that point I replace them.

Input tubes in general I find that I get quite longer life out of, some four or five years, as a few of the components such as the ZROCK2 don't "push" the tube hard in their circuits.

That is different than preferring the sound of one tube or tube type over another as there are so many factors involved in that such as isolation components, power treatment, cabling, and of course the rooms themselves and the tastes of the owners.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 05/22/22 at 23:29:31

Lon, thank you for the clarification. The context of power tubes in the previous entries was not clear to me. I do not listen to my system near as much as you do yours. I don't think I'd be able to tell any difference. Annual purchase of power tubes, even just the 4 I would buying, adds up. It makes sense to try to find a quality and durable tube.

DancingSea: "’I'm unclear why the USA government has not decided to invest the same $52B they have into domestic chip production into USA based tube manufacturing. That’s a head scratcher…"

Russia and China still use tubes for industrial purposes. Up until very recently, maybe they still do, Russia used tubes in their space program (space station, ground control, and rockets). The USA does not. Why would they invest $52 billion? I know we're a critical demographic for national infrastructure, but the government doesn't recognize the need for excellence in sound staging, tone, and pretty lights. Maybe we could get a grant thru the arts foundation 🤪

By the way, kudos to everyone who have found the cryotone tubes to be outstanding in their systems. Please report back when they start wearing out or failing.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #140 - 05/22/22 at 23:50:47

Quote:
Russia used tubes in their space program (space station, ground control, and rockets).

Back when working in the Star Wars Program in the 80s I remember laughing at how the Russians still used vacuum tubes until it was pointed out that they are EMP resistant.  Nuclear bombs produce EMP pulses that would take out our entire satellite network while theirs still functioned.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 05/23/22 at 00:23:03

Archie, did you get to meet Obi-Wan Kenobi during your work on Star Wars?  Pixar is a current customer of CryoTone thus it’s within the realm of possibility that Industrial Light & Magic had tubes in their gear.

Safebelayer - oh, I’m just playing around by imagining what would happen if audiophile logic and priorities were applied to geopolitics… and giggling over the absurdities that would follow…

In other news today, the ruling Audiophile Party has decided to devote the entire 3 trillion dollar budget to speaker cables….

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 05/23/22 at 01:17:42

Quote:
did you get to meet Obi-Wan Kenobi during your work on Star Wars?

While there were many brilliant and capable people involved, watching how the government threw away money took the wind out of my young engineer sails.  I'm much more fulfilled remolding people's kitchens.   Tongue

Give the government 3 trillion and they might produce a cable that's not worse than Radio Shack.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #143 - 05/23/22 at 01:24:52

Quote:
Give the government 3 trillion and they might produce a cable that's not worse than Radio Shack.

God damn right.

To quote the great Ronald Reagan:

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #144 - 05/23/22 at 01:39:49

Code:
[size=14]How about those cryotone tubes? [/size] 

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 05/23/22 at 05:28:50

Brad wrote:

Quote:
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

Yes, especially when the government is owned by corporations.  Oh, how I miss the Bronze Age when simply sacrificing one of the kids fixed everything… such days of innocence…

Man has been screwing over his neighbor for a very, very long time.  For millions of years we were just a mid level predator.  We ate bunnies and were eaten by lions.  One day our brain got too big for our britches and we wake up to this remarkable mess of our own creation. But by God, those lions ain't eating us anymore!  So that’s a positive.

Instead we wait hand and foot on little mini lions and wolves who we rely upon for emotional support.

At least we have our stereos to anesthetize us.

Roll Eyes

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #146 - 05/23/22 at 21:46:38

safebelayer wrote:
Quote:
Hi Brad, how's the csp3 working out for you?

Jon, I forgot to reply to this. Thanks for asking.

The CSP3 with Jupiter beeswax signal cap upgrade has been well. But it needs a major upgrade from there, after hearing the Steve's fully decked 25th Anniversary Edition that I have since sold [no headphone jack] and the astonishing sonics it provided, the CSP3 I have now is wanting in comparison [thanks though for the 4 pin mini-XLR jack, which I will use for my recent acquisition of the Audeze LCD-4].....so a forum member has kindly provided me a plan to address this glaring shortcoming, his version of Steve's full 25th anniversary mods & more. I have all the parts ($300 in an array of Miflex PIO and Cu-paper caps and a small slew of much better resistors, plus those small VR tubes), which will save $300 in labor. I should have attacked this some time ago, and I need to get on it before the much anticipated Torii MK 5 arrives in about 3-4 months. Once I get done, the CSP3 should be at least as good, likely even better than Steve's outstanding 25th Anniversary Edition.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #147 - 05/26/22 at 19:06:36

Don was very gracious about the return. Easy breezy.  Fantastic customer service.

I’m working with Brent Jessee for alternatives.  He likes Amperex over Mullard. The 7308 are super expensive.  He suggested Bugle Boy 6DJ8 from the 1950s.  Do you guys have thoughts on the famed Bugle Boy?

I’ll get a 1960s Mullard as well.

In any case, have ordered both from Brent.  I like that he's very free with offering advice while Upscale is tight lipped.

Have also learned that if I make a political response to Brad that I can throw him off my tracks by then talking like a lunatic homeless person...

Cheesy

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #148 - 05/26/22 at 20:14:25

Good to hear you’re being taken care of.

If I met K. Deal, I’d probably piss all over him. Ha.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 05/26/22 at 20:31:54

Haha.  Kevin is such a polarizing character.  I totally get why people dislike him, but he has always been good to me over the past 20 years.  I find him to be a hoot even though he frequently steps in it.  I guess that's part of the entertainment value.... the stepping in it....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print