Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 23:58:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TORII MKV vs UFO25 vs ZMA (Read 1169 times)
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

TORII MKV vs UFO25 vs ZMA
03/18/22 at 15:53:47

I expect this is a difficult ask. I find that I prefer my UFO25 over my ZMA-25 for most listening. I appreciate the extra power of the ZMA but the magic of the UFO is really appealing. I have Omegas and F-15 baffles both of which are efficient and work well with both amps. But that UFO magic!  I'm wondering if the TORII MKV is or could be the best of both worlds. It has the extra power, tube rectification etc. but how close does it really come to the SET sound? The UFO's have a special swagger that my ZMA gets close to but I'd love to have the extra power with the SET sound. I know the Rachel has more power as well but I can run UFO25's in mono and get to the 6 watts. I've got an UFO25 coming with an April 2021 order date, so hopefully soon. If I'm going try the TORII I need to decide soon. I would appreciate any input you guys have. I know it's a hard topic...kind of like picking your favorite child. Thanks for thinking about this.
Malcolm

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: TORII MKV vs UFO25 vs ZMA
Reply #1 - 03/18/22 at 16:07:00

An interesting dilemma. I have never heard any of these amps but I have had several versions of the Zen amps, and have had two Taboos and three Toriis (two Mk III and one of the very first Mk II) and a "pre-Rachel" Rachel as well as a pair of SE34 Monoblocks that are no longer in the lineup.

And of all the Decware amps I've had over the past 25 years I love my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary mods most. The second is my Taboo Mk IV with the 25th Anniversary mods. If you love the UFO25 sound in preference to the ZMA you have. . .my recommendation would be to keep the order for the second amp you have on hand and try balanced or single-ended mono operation. None of the others have quite the same magic the 6P15-EV amps do in my experience. In your shoes I'd do that without hesitation.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bluemage
Seasoned Member

Re: TORII MKV vs UFO25 vs ZMA
Reply #2 - 03/21/22 at 13:35:12

I don't know. Some of Steve's reviews in the MKV development thread make it sound pretty magical. I recall reading about nights where the night sky ripped at the seams and the audio gods reached down from the ether and pummeled him with their velveteen fists.

I can't wait to see some thorough reviews come in on it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print