Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:45:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zbit with Holo dac - (please weigh in Steve) (Read 1502 times)
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Zbit with Holo dac - (please weigh in Steve)
03/18/22 at 03:14:22

Wondering if anyone has used the holo dac with the zbit.

I have a new holo spring 3 kte which has both xlr and rca outputs.

I use the rca outputs but recently realized the xlr outputs leverage the full ladder circuit while the rca outputs leverage only half of the ladders.

Not sure if there is much difference, but interested to know if any have tried the zbit with holo products and with what results.

I contacted the holo designer who suggested I should not go down this path.  Here was his email.

Please don’t use XLR to RCA adaptor. Most of these adaptors are simply short cold to ground that will possibly causing Spring3 damage. A transformer can convert XLR to RCA and use both hot and cold. But the transformer itself can bring distortions, especially in big dynamics. So I don’t suggest to use this solution either.
      Please keep using the RCA output of Spring3. Although it’s use only half the circuit but it’s very good and very close the XLR. The other solutions can only bring more problems and less benefits.

I love the dac brand absolutely do not want to cause any problems to my unit but would appreciate your direct experiences.

Thanks John

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Zbit with Holo dac - (please weigh in Steve)
Reply #1 - 03/18/22 at 12:20:39

The Zbit works well with my MAY KTE DAC.

I preferred RCA out of the DAC vs. XLR -> Zbit -> ZR2.

If I had a nicer set of XLR cables, I might prefer the Zbit in the mix.

I've consistently preferred RCA over XLR connections over the years.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 03/18/22 at 15:49:39

I can't speak specifically to the ZBit, but if you have a DAC that is truly balanced, i.e. does digital to analog conversion of both + and - phases of the left and right channel IMO you aren't getting your money's worth if you are using the RCA outputs. At least this has been my experience with the DACs and SACD players I've had over the last 20ish years. But note that I've always used a balanced preamp and balanced amps in my signal path so YMMV as always.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 03/18/22 at 17:19:22

Quote:
Please don’t use XLR to RCA adaptor. Most of these adaptors are simply short cold to ground that will possibly causing Spring3 damage. A transformer can convert XLR to RCA and use both hot and cold. But the transformer itself can bring distortions, especially in big dynamics. So I don’t suggest to use this solution either.

Completely correct.  I would say the same thing if asked this question as the designer of the product.  That is because I have no way of knowing the "transformer" that a customer might use, and the transformer type and quality is critical.  It's just easier to say don't use one.

Our transformer is ultra-wide bandwidth and ultra low distortion even at 4 times the output level of the HOLO's XLR outputs, so there is zero distortion.

I use my HOLO XLR outputs to feed the ZBIT which in turn provides RCA output to the CSP325 preamp.  This sounds considerably better than using the RCA outputs from the HOLO without a ZBIT.

WWW   IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/22 at 06:51:02

Thanks Steve, and here is the designers response to your post Steve. By the way I found a used zbit with stepped attenuator selling with your recommended xlr cables yesterday and purchased it Steve.

Hi John,
      Yes. ZBIT’s input level is 20dBu so it’s no problem to handle Spring’s output. And it looks well designed and made. Should be OK to use it.
      I just worried that you choose a ‘usual’ transformer like neutrik’s NA2F-D2B-TX or something similar. As Steve said, signal transformers are very critical, you have to make sure to use a very decent one.

Best Regards
Jeff Zhu

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print