Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:50:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube regulation for Rachel (Read 2397 times)
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Tube regulation for Rachel
03/15/22 at 16:52:01

After reading Steve’s comments on the Cryo EL34 tubes it got me wondering if the magic filtering of tube regulation might make it over to the Rachel. Based on other stuff Steve has written I’m guessing that this would require a slightly redesigned power supply. But could a tube regulated Rachel smash up its push-pull older brothers, or are the Torii just going to deliver an ultimately superior performance? Reading through Steve’s creation of the 25th anniversary edition of the UFO makes me wildly curious about how that would play out on the Rachel. But it seems like people usually go for a UFO or TORII.

Exposure Super XV, Exposure CD (original), Rega Planar 3 (1986 - solid silver rewire), Dynavector DV20XH, Neat Acoustics Mystique II, DIY solid silver interconnects, DIY solid copper speaker wire.

Panasonic multibit, Verum, Etymotic, Elac, Pioneer, Schiit
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube regulation for Rachel
Reply #1 - 03/15/22 at 17:25:04

I've always preferred the PP sound over SE. I

At DECFEST, taking an informal poll, it really came down to personal preference if the UFO or the Torii lines were better.

If you love the SET (SEP) sound, PP isn't going to be as good for you, and vice versa.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/15/22 at 17:42:15

Yes, it's sort of an either or, personal taste. I have lived with both for some time and I strongly prefer the single-ended sound. If I can work with the lower power I prefer that sound, more realistic and organic seeming to me.

So many variables in room, attending components, tube complements, power, isolation. . . there's no easy answer.

Having tube regulation for output or input tubes or both would be a great thing for the Rachel--I've thought about the same thing for the Taboo Mk IV which is a fantastic amp, and I think how much better it might be with those regulation tubes. These regulation stages also offer you many opportunities to tailor the sound with differing types and brands of the tubes. I enjoy the heck out of this aspect of my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/17/22 at 05:03:12

Although it seems most people are on one side of the fence or the other, I have a Rachael and a Torii Mk IV and enjoy them both.
It kinda depends on my mood, the genre of music, the time of day, and/or how loud I want to play it.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/19/22 at 17:21:52

Arpin,

I'm with you on a prospective VR tube option for the 34I amplifier.

It would involve punching out another hole on the top plate, but that is true of all the other amps / preamps that come with the VR tube as an option. I know that it also involves extra work and parts inside the amp, but the overall size of the chassis makes me think it's not internally overcrowded as is, so could could accommodate the imposition. Off hand, I don't see where it would be any more trouble for the 34I than for the other devices.

The omission of this option, and other aspects of lack of attention, makes me think that the 34I amplifier has slowly evolved (or devolved) to become the red headed stepchild of the Decware lineup.

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #5 - 03/19/22 at 17:34:32

That’s funny Edsonic! Red-headed step child. It does feel like that in a good way which is why I’m drawn to be interested in the Rachel. And after reading Steve talk about those Cryo tubes, maybe the Rachel is one tweak away from being truly wicked. As with all of Steve’s designs he has secret and inspired reasons for all of his products. I have loved reading about his rediscovery of his own HDT speaker design!! What the heck?! A thirty year old esoteric design that suddenly starts walking all over his other speaker options. Wow. So in my heart I know that Rachel’s journey isn’t complete yet. And even though it has been relegated to step-child status, I have a feeling that Steve won’t be able to help himself from touching the Rachel and coaxing something crazy silly good out of it. He’s already done it to everything else, so I feel it’s a certainty that it must likewise happen to the Rachel.

Exposure Super XV, Exposure CD (original), Rega Planar 3 (1986 - solid silver rewire), Dynavector DV20XH, Neat Acoustics Mystique II, DIY solid silver interconnects, DIY solid copper speaker wire.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/19/22 at 18:56:26

Yes, I've been drawn to the 'Rachael' 34I amplifier for a long time, and your and my 'hopes and dreams' for this amp are conducive and congruent. As of now that is what I'm getting, with or with out the 'full Monte' A-mods. Likely two of them connected as mono, with the PS bypass w/ copper capacitors.

I listen at relatively modest sound levels, but my playlist is mostly classical music, which can have some very abrupt and very significant loudness increase, hence the 2x amplifiers to allow for extra headroom. It's probable that one amp would suffice (for me), but it's a long wait, and hopefully a lifetime purchase, and I have no idea what speakers I might wind up with 10 years from now. So it's a matter of power / speaker sensitivity insurance for any prospective future occurrence.

I'm not one who is seeking the very last word in 'accuracy', nor the last nth degree of microscopic 'detail' in the presentation. Even though it might not be the amplifier's fault, there is just so much variation in sonic presentation amongst various recordings, wherein some can assault my squeamish ears with ill-mannered high frequency and/or harshly rendered percussive events. I'm sure that the 84UFO amplifiers (all variants) are 'all that', as testified by many, but my ears are more sensitive than most and I feel more comfortable with the 34I. In any case more than a few here seem quite happy with these amplifiers and consider them a significant upgrade in accuracy vs. whatever they had before, including highly regarded predecessors.

Both as a sound mixer (paid to be there) and as paying customer I have much experience listening to live events, and so think I have a more realistic outlook on what to expect or think is possible in home listening (or so I imagine). This along with my overly sensitive ears makes me think that I would find music listening bliss at home with the 'Rachael' 34I amplifier.

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #7 - 03/19/22 at 22:00:49

I’m also big into classical music and absolutely love live music. I doubt I have as much experience in live music as you do, but when you have season tickets to the symphony for a couple of decades and try to always find live music of any genre I’ve definitely picked up a clear sense of how instruments sound live and how they mostly don’t sound live with most gear. I even sold hifi part-time for close to a decade. So I love hifi but have always thought that attaining that live sound was beyond expensive. And you’re dead on regarding the dynamic swings of classical. To my ear, classical is definitely the most difficult to nail on any hifi system. I can count on one hand the number of systems that I’ve heard that actually got close.

I was also toying around with the idea of two mono Rachels. And it’s not off the table. I’m moving back to Missouri this summer and plan on visiting Decware in person to hear the different options first hand. What I know for certain is that I need to own a full Decware system. I’m very excited to hear the updated HDTs and all the other speakers he has. I want as real as possible and I just need to get to 101dB in my listening position to be happy. I enjoy Front Orchestra.

IP Logged
Sam S
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 03/24/22 at 22:15:17

I am not a Rachael owner yet, but one of the main reasons I ordered one is because it only has 3 different tubes to roll, and only 5 to replace as needed.

Here is one vote for keeping it simple . . .

Sam

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print