04/23/24 at 18:00:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Right Multimeter (Read 1111 times)
Archie
Seasoned Member

The Right Multimeter
03/14/22 at 18:42:29

I need to get a multimeter for a non-audio project.  I'll have use for it later in the capacity of residential wiring and I'd like to be able to use it for my audio stuff as well.  Can anyone offer some advice -- from practical experience about which to buy?  I'd like a quality instrument but price is always a consideration.  I've looked at the Fluke 117 but there are so many out there to choose from.

Thanks!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: The Right Multimeter
Reply #1 - 03/14/22 at 22:45:10

I’ve used a lot of Fluke multimeters over the years, they’re durable and accurate. I have a low end 110 now and it’s the perfect homeowner's tool.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/15/22 at 10:23:10

Archie,

I used dozens of meters over the years, anything from a 12v light bulb with wires attached to a tack and alligator clip for tracing circuits in autos…too some of Flukes finest. Right now a 30 year old Radio Shack is my bench multimeter. I also have several Harbor Freight freebies around for convenient portable use. With all that said, the best thing you may want to zero in on your acquisition is a good kit-set of leads. I have the Fluke TL81A Test Lead Set which makes testing much easier in most uses of a multimeter.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/15/22 at 16:43:24

Thanks guys.  A general consensus seems to be that the Fluke is a safe bet.  The biggest criticism of the 117 is that the leads suck.  They use some kind of cheap, stiff plastic.  For now I'll put up with that and upgrade later, if I end up using the meter a lot.  It's getting so hard to find electricians in my area that I am forced to do more electrical work but actually "needing" a meter for the kind of work I do is rare.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print