Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:04:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
And now for another newbie question... (Read 1543 times)
Burgermeester
Seasoned Member

And now for another newbie question...
03/08/22 at 10:00:57

Monoblock tube amps with short short speaker cables feeding stand-mounted speakers... I always wonder, does the sound from the speakers affect the amps? Do I need to worry about resonances? Subtle vibrations? Room corners focusing the sound back on the amps? Should I have the monoblocks on the floor or right behind the speakers? Etc.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: And now for another newbie question...
Reply #1 - 03/08/22 at 11:05:23

Sure sound from the speakers affects the amps as well as every other surface that is hit from the sound generated by the speakers. The best approach no matter what placement would be to isolate the amp by placing it on an isolation apparatus which could be as simple as rubber feet(Decware installs decent feet as stock on equipment), springs, or platforms like Decware offers.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/08/22 at 13:05:05

If you want to dive into isolation devices take a look at Herbie's Audio Lab. Lots of choices to peruse, I have the booties and fat dots under my preamp, amp and disc player. Steve's iso platform looks very nice and would be a step up.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 03/08/22 at 17:15:59

I wouldn't put the amps directly on the floor, I would put them on something, at least. Isolation is cliff I have yet to look over, I have my UFOs on my "Nelson Pass Amp Stands" sitting on 4"x4" anti vibration pads. They are close enough so I can use 20" speaker cables and they sound great. Whatever minus there is from vibrations is more than offset by the short speaker cables IMO.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/08/22 at 17:21:49

A few years ago I inquired if Decware still had the Zen amp sized amp stands/platforms that were hard ash with a top layer supported by a vibration absorbing layer and work really well. Sarah then found a box and I bought two--which means I have three. I bet there are still some left. . . may be worth a call or email to find out.

https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/skylan/platform.html

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/08/22 at 20:21:06

I went a low cost way.

Bubble wrap sandwiched between two shelves and then rested the components on blue rubber anti vibration pads.

Resize_Isolation.jpg

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print