Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Output/Input voltage (Read 1343 times)
Mamu
Verified Member

Output/Input voltage
03/08/22 at 02:24:33

Hi everyone,

Received my SE84UFO25 in Dec 2021; hooked it up with Lee Audio Silver 10 and have been enjoying it ever since.
I have very limited knowledge of electronics, so I became a bit concerned when the other day I noticed that my DACs voltage output level was set to 3v all this time, whilst the Amp’s input voltage specification is 1.5v.  No PreAmp as yet, still sounds great though.

My concern is - is there any chance I might have cause some damage or strain to the Amp or does it matter at all?  If it matters – what voltage should I use (DAC has choice of 1, 2 and 3 volts)?

Any advice would be much appreciated

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: Output/Input voltage
Reply #1 - 03/08/22 at 02:46:19

No worries! The Decware CSP3 preamp can put out up to 30v, so not need to worry about 3v. The only way this would cause damage (to my knowledge) is overdriving your speakers, which is going to be very loud before it happens.

What you've discovered is an aspect of riding the gain. Feed your amp a little more voltage (3v in your case) and you don't have to turn up the amp as much to get the same volume as you would with feeding it 1.5v, for example. Many times, greater voltage in can sound denser and weightier.

The standard CD player out is 2v and many DACs put out more. Some up to 5v. In short, you will still control volume and as long as you don't blast yourself out of the room and destroy your speakers, harm will not come by feeding your amp a little extra input voltage.

I say try all 3 settings on your DAC and choose the one you think sounds best.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Mamu
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 03/08/22 at 03:05:41

Thank you chapsjon for explaining it all.  I jot got a bit worried.  Now I realise 1.5v must be just nominal input voltage to get the Amp going I suppose.  I'll leave DAC at 3v and keep on saving for PreAmp.  Cheers

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/08/22 at 03:40:08

You are correct on nominal voltage. I should have mentioned that. This means 1.5v is really the minimum the amp needs to sound full. Less than that can make the amp sound thin. More than that will make it denser as explained before. Either way, the amp is unharmed but the sound is effected and the volume knob must be adjusted to get the volume you want.

In general I do prefer a preamp because of the greater control you have over the gain and sound, but as long as your source provides the nominal input voltage a preamp is not required. It should sound good, but a preamp can make it sound even better.

There are some that prefer to keep the audio chain as simple as possible and do not use a preamp. I have tried both ways and often go without a preamp if the source provides enough voltage. I have a CSP2+ preamp, however, for those times it is either needed, or I decide I want to see if things can be improved. Often, they can.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/08/22 at 08:22:13

Great topic!  Thank you both for a good question and excellent answer.

I'm sure there are some like me who are clueless about such things.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print