Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:47:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best speakers for SE84UFO (Read 5294 times)
glrogers8
Verified Member

Best speakers for SE84UFO
03/07/22 at 18:49:27

Hello! I am new to the audiophile world. I have recently bought an SE84UFO amp, but it will not be delivered for many months (maybe a year). That means that I have many months (maybe a year) to find the best speakers to be paired with this amp. I am curious as to what people have found to be great speakers that work with this amp. I am on a bit of a budget (preferably under $1000 for a pair of speakers), but I am open to suggestions in all reasonable price ranges. I have a Bag End Infrasub-18 subwoofer that could or could not be used in tandem with speakers. I have about a 15'x20' living room. I do enjoy turning up the volume from time to time and dancing with my two year old and four month old. So speakers that can get loud from the 2.3 watts would be preferable. My apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere in these forums, but I haven't found it. Thanks for your input.
Grant

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Re: Best speakers for SE84UFO
Reply #1 - 03/07/22 at 19:24:37

Grant,
Welcome to the journey! There are a bunch of very helpful members on this forum who can really make better recommendations than mine. But I have a similar size room and I'd probably start out with Lii Audio F-15's and homemade open baffles...use your sub if needed. The F-15's are $399 and you can pickup a counter top at Home Depot to make the baffles with and stay under $1K. If you have some basic woodworking tools it maybe a good option. If you have a woodworking buddy even better! The F-15's are very efficient, which is the important requirement with the UFO's as it relates to loudness. I have F-15 open baffles that I drive with a Se84UFO25 and they are plenty loud. The size of the baffles are a consideration if location is a challenge. The F-15's are single drivers that don't come with grills which might be a little scary with small kids as well. Sounds like you have some time to decide and there are options like used Klipsch Heresy etc that are more conventional speakers. Good luck and happy shopping.
Malcolm

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/07/22 at 19:44:39

Or just buy them from Randy @ Caintuck Audio.  He developed the baffle shape and makes some NICE looking stuff.

http://www.caintuckaudio.com/

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #3 - 03/07/22 at 20:00:35

Hi Grant,

Let me piggyback on Dana's recommendation.  Below is a message I sent to another from a while ago, but your interest brought it back to mind:

"I now have two pairs of Caintuck speakers in two rooms:  Betsy's and Lii Fast 8's.  The Lii Fast 8's sound better to my ear, but the Betsy's are excellent.

What made a big difference for me was the addition of the Caintuck Alpha Bass Baffle.  I highly recommend that option for your consideration.  Also, I went in a bit of a different direction with the Lii "Fast 8's."  I think if you search "Fast 8's," you will find that Steve gives them a thumb's up somewhere in his comments.

Both of these options, Fast 8's and Alpha Bass Baffle, are a bit less expensive than the F-15 drivers, and that may help with giving you more room to work with for the amp.  

It is hard to know which speaker you would like best without hearing them.  Hopefully, it helps when current owners report that they are delighted with their purchase - like me."

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/07/22 at 21:38:45

I am not sure open baffles or floor standers are the way to go with toddlers. You might want to consider an efficient bookshelf/ stand mount and place it up and away from little hands. I would recommend on a tv stand or furniture over stands. Others may have further insight, but I can attest that the Decware 945 works well with low watts. It took a price bump recently and is no longer $1k brand new, but they can be picked up used. I have no experience with Omega, but they get a lot if love for low watts as well.

In full disclosure, I have no experience with open baffle so cannot compare with the 945. If you decide on OB or floor standing, you might want to figure out some kind of removable screen. I know from experience that kids are curious, especially about those protruding dust caps.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/07/22 at 23:50:36

Some options here from below to a little above $1,000.
https://omegaloudspeakers.com/

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 03/08/22 at 01:59:12

+1 for Omega speakers. Lots of Decware owners have Omega speakers and I have yet to hear any complaints. And Louis at Omega is great to work with.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
glrogers8
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/08/22 at 04:15:56

All of this is great info! I really appreciate your time. The good news is I live near Peoria, IL where Decware has a listening room with some of these open baffle speakers as well as the 945 (I hope). That might be a starting point. I have also heard good things about Zu Audio. Their Omen Dirty Weekend speaker got good reviews and is around $1000 (if I can find some). I'll have to look into the Omegas, too. They look a little pricey new, but I haven't bothered looking for used. Is there a recommended used model? I have heard good things about Klipsch Heritage speakers with the 2 watt Decware amp (Heresy, Cornwall, Forte, etc), but every review of their newest model makes it sound like the older models aren't all that great. Should I also look into some older Klipsch models? Thanks again!

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/08/22 at 14:09:23

+1 on the Omegas and Caintucks.  I own both. Caintucks were bought new.  Omegas used from a Decware member.  Both, IMHO are better than the Klipsch Heresy IIIs. And if you contact Randy, he may also tell you that former Cornwall owners have transition to his Caintucks.  Have fun researching for used speakers around your area or have them ship if out of your area.  
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/08/22 at 15:44:00

It'll be fun looking around for sure. I knew nothing about Decware until I ran across a couple of reviews on YouTube. Both of these are posted on the home page here. Yup, I am old and tore up and NOW I find out about this outfit! Time is not on my side.. lol, but ordered anyway at the insistence of my wife. Blessed to have her. I have been interested in a tube amp for a long time, but couldn't afford anything here in America as I refused to buy a Chinese made one. And then I find out about the affordable quality, made in America Decware. What struck me most is that both reviewers were very impressed (VERY) with the amps and they were hooked up to Klipsch speakers. Of course I cannot speak of other speakers that would go well as I haven't heard anything hooked up to a Decware amp in the first place. Yet. But I will never trade off or sell my 1996 Klipsch Chorus II's. Very high sensitivity and I am sure they'll work beautifully with the Zen. I can wholeheartedly recommend a good, clean pair of Klipsch. Lots of used ones about, but people sure seem to tear speakers up for some reason. Keep an eye out for a good clean pair. Especially of the heritage line. Our son will be purchasing a new pair of Forte 1V's to go with his Zen when it arrives. Expensive though. He listened to them inside a stereo/theater store in Ohio and has to have them now. Used Klipsch should be doable... Just another suggestion. You'll get a lot here. ~Lots of friendly, experienced folks here on this forum.~ I have also heard good things about the new Klipsch
RP-600M Bookshelf Speakers. Between 7 and 800 new. I don't know the sensitivity rating. Definitely check out Mr. Deckerts outfit and give a listen. You live too close to not do that! Our son plans on a visit as well. Smiley Looking outside, I have got to get going and move some snow.......Good to have you here and have fun! Take care. ~Mike

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/10/22 at 13:13:10

Welcome to the fold! I received my brothers 74 Hereseys 4 years ago and my UFO2 4 months ago. I did refurbish the speaker drivers/ crossovers from Crites’s speakers in Arkansas, ordered and installed myself an easy task. The Heresy are a dynamic 98 DB speaker and sound wonderfull with this amp. From anything ambient-40 DB, to rock 80-90 DB clear and articulate. Not sure current used market but close to your budget I’d guess. Then IF needed can update a little at a time as I did.
Happy Listening

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
LeftyEric
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 04/09/22 at 19:30:34

You should look at the Tekton Lores, and Tekton Lore reference. Exceptional speakers and sensitive enough for your Zen. Lots of folks have this small business / all American pairing.

I had the Lores with an SE84UFO and it was exceptional for the price!

Tekton Perfect SET, SE84UFO3 Monos (poly bypass mod), Denafrips Ares ii DAC, Parasound ZPhono XRM, Nagaoka MP-110 on UTurn.
  IP Logged
glrogers8
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 04/09/22 at 23:42:47

So, I've listened to a bunch of speakers and like a lot of them. I was able to make it to the Decware listening room, too. But, I have not been able to listen to the Lii 15s with different baffle sizes. Does anyone have any experience listening to them with different baffle sizes? My main question is... there is a very affordable Caintuck baffle (as you can see on the classifieds) for the F15s at $675. It is only 7/8 inches thick and smaller. I have a local retired carpenter who thinks he can build me the Zen Decware medium size 1.5 inch baffles including wood for around $600. With speakers that would be around $1100. Is it worth the extra $400 to try to have the medium baffles made? Or should I have him try to build the larger ones? Or will the 7/8 inch Caintuck baffles be just about as good with a not very noticeable difference?  Or, to top it off and blow the budget but not give me buyers remorse, should I get a used pair of the Lii Audio Origins with the Silver 10s? Those sound amazing! I've seen them used for $2000. Out of budget, but not if it is a speaker that will be the end all be all. On a side note, upon traveling to Indianapolis for a math teacher's conference, I was able to listen to a $65,000 stereo system. I am happy to say that it was not all that much better than everything else I have heard recently. No disrespect to those who have spent that much, but I'll be darned if 1/20th of the cost doesn't get you something pretty close! Thanks for all your help!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #13 - 04/10/22 at 16:16:41

It sounds like you have made progress on deciding what would be your best speaker.  In my earlier post, I did not mention that my two sets of Caintuck baffles were 7/8 inch and the newer 1.5-inch hardwood as it did not seem relevant.  If you are now asking about sonic difference, I like the sound better from the thicker baffle and conclude that it does make a difference.

The visual appearance may not make any difference to you, but the thicker baffles look better - what Randy calls the "eye candy."

I don't know if you saw a recent post that Caintuck is now offering the thicker hardwood baffles for the larger-sized drivers too.  I found his prices reasonable, so you might price them to see how they stack up against having the baffles built for you.

Good luck, Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print