Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 01:25:25 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NEW Decware Silver Reference Interconnects! (Read 17059 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

NEW Decware Silver Reference Interconnects!
03/01/22 at 01:16:44

We finally have our new Decware Silver Reference Interconnects done and on the website!

https://www.decwareproducts.com/dsr3

They are offered both with and without the white heat shrink.

WWW   IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Re: NEW Decware Silver Reference Interconnects!
Reply #1 - 03/01/22 at 11:42:58

Very nice work! I will definitely be giving those a try.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/01/22 at 12:44:35

Seems like a good value. Checks all the boxes. Well done!
Way too long for my setup. Is there a possibility of custom lengths? Or, parts availability?

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 03/01/22 at 15:11:34

I wish Decware would make (or at least offer) the XLR to RCA cables you need to run the UFO amps as balanced monoblocs.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 03/01/22 at 16:22:25

We are working on that.

WWW   IP Logged
Zork
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/03/22 at 18:12:47

I ordered a set of the new Decware Silver Reference Interconnects yesterday.  Can anyone tell me the method of positioning the sliding weight? I've never owned a cable with the weight.  Oh, I'll start by using the new DSR3S from a ZRock2 to a Torii Jr V2.
Thanks!

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/03/22 at 18:39:38

Like Zork.......I am curious about the sliding weight. I have not seen cables with them before, and am unfamiliar with what the weight does/how it functions.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/22 at 20:37:16

These cables are the real deal! I just built a complete set of interconnects using the same geometry with stuff laying around here at home. The only difference is the copper shield is on the outside of the braid assembly finishing with Techflex. The braids are composed of 8 #24 PP insulated solid copper communication wire. No weight.

Blacker backgrounds, more detail, nice sound stage. I'll give them sometime to break in and may move it up a notch to a silver braid.

I don't think anyone will go wrong with Steve's Silver Reference interconnects.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 03/04/22 at 21:14:22

I've been using interconnects made with PCOCC copper and PCOCC silver (not silver plated copper, but separate conductors of each) for a decade now. They were very expensive, but they have been a blessing and a curse, letting me hear everything, and being as musical as possible. I am sure that these new interconnects from Steve have a similar nature. Glad he's offering cabling of this caliber!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/04/22 at 22:23:41

Good endorsement Lon!

Tempting, very tempting........

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/05/22 at 10:47:34

I hear you Lon. The more advanced my system gets, time becomes warped with well known material. A thunderous lightening strike location becomes more evident as it rolls across wide open plains. An unnoticeable recording error becomes protracted and evident. Individual voices can be followed in chorus. On and on.

The interconnects I built connect the DAC output to CSP2+(your’s at one point), Zrock2, and SE84 clone. Accumulated length is about a meter. Not sure how Steve terminated his Silver Reference at the RCAs. I split the 8 copper conductors - four for signal and four for audio ground. The copper shielding braid is grounded to the audio ground in one RCA and left floating at the other end. This makes the cables directional. Detail has improved a good bit and hum can only be heard with my ear up-to the speaker. I plan on doing this cable scheme thru out including inside all equipment.

John

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/05/22 at 19:23:43

Aside from the effects shielding, what is the direct comparison between these and the previous generation in terms of sonics?

IP Logged
Zork
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 03/08/22 at 02:27:37

I just installed a set of the DSR3 from ZRock2 to ToriiJrV2 and they do everything my DSRs did better in all regards.  I could tell straight away straightaway!  I'm hearing things I've never heard before and things as I've never heard them before and that to me is the true test.  I ordered another pair just a bit ago.  Definitely a fabulous sounding product and the build quality is superb also.  Try a set!
I'm still not certain how to implement the weight feature.  Any ideas?
Thanks!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/09/22 at 12:09:39

Being it is called a weight and adjustable it must be used to ease vibration of the cable by positioning it at areas that might be prone to inducing vibration on the cable. ie raising cable off a shelf, keeping a dangling loop from touching sides of surfaces, etc. Should not be confused with a ferrite core which was used to help eliminate radio frequencies created by equipment and positioned at the closest end connection of said equipment.

The arrow on the weight points to the signal direction from source to amp. Keeping all interconnects oriented in the same manner will maximize the rejection of outside interference which helps with darker backgrounds in the music.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/10/22 at 18:17:04

My version of these cables keep improving. Bass is still a bit stuffy but getting better. I'm tempted to order a pair of Steves then perform surgery making three to fit my layout Tongue

John

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 03/10/22 at 19:43:03

Quote:
My version of these cables keep improving. Bass is still a bit stuffy but getting better. I'm tempted to order a pair of Steves then perform surgery making three to fit my layout Tongue

John
  muy interesante!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/12/22 at 15:01:38

Quote:
Aside from the effects shielding, what is the direct comparison between these and the previous generation in terms of sonics?

I have not heard the previous version. Steve has no problem revealing what the wire consist of, no voodoo gimmickerly - just plain common sense. The previous version is basically a high end microphone cable with a custom cover mimicking his probably all along used configured cables in his listening room. He auditions the new cables in a frustrating manner as "finally" available. My guess is he finally found a source and/or person that can braid the preferred configuration economically. The braided scheme with silver plated copper conductors directly addresses the problem of resistance in cable lengths effect on sound. Silver is a better conductor. Eight separate insulated silver plated copper conductors creates a litz wire which deals with skin effect on higher frequency harmonics. The braid scheme itself gives the cable lower inductance but higher capacitance as compared to strands running parallel. The combined product gives a well rounded signal from one end to the other making it transparent.

I tried braiding salvaged USB 28 gauge tin plated copper wire into a 12 strand round cable. Ended up with a 66” and 30” cable. Problem is it just became practically impossible to terminate with the RCA connectors on hand. I ordered a new set of 20 with longer barrels and a 10mm opening to try this cable in. Some say tin plating is better then silver sonically. I will find out. After all, the component's leads in a point to point is tin or tin plated.

John

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/20/22 at 20:21:43

Just sold my 3 prs. of the DSR-II's and ordered 3 prs. of the DSR-3's, delivery expected this Tuesday.

I look forward to additional clarity and instrument separation when listening to the most favored of all: baroque and classical period chamber music.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/21/22 at 10:20:29

I think your going to be pleased Brad. This scheme of Steve's new silver interconnects will quiet the system and bring out more detail providing an unfilter signal. Give the bass sometime to flatten out.

After a couple 100 miles in the saddle over the past week, I found myself calm enough to finish the salvaged 28 gauge tin plated copper USB interconnet wires with the onhand RCA ends. Impressive! There is a crispness added to the high end, a bit quiet in the mids and the bass seems to stumble on itself. This is compared to the cables that were originally assembled with PP copper. I at this point attribute the quiet to a lighter gauge of wire. 20 1/2 as compared to 18 gauge in the first pair and the RCAs ends are some very old brass Radio Shack with the spring restraint. Only 7 hours burn in at this time. Maybe time will improve the bass. Still waiting for the set of 20 RCAs from China. I might try some salvaged Monster S-video cables if the 8 strand braid is not to big to fit in the barrel!

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/23/22 at 17:22:10

I had a good conversation with Steve yesterday and prepared a line of questions of my Decware equipment before hand as not to strain his valuable time in the future. As most of us probably guessed the new interconnects are made by a China supplier under his directions. He is planning on offering 1/2 meter this summer.

Steve is accessible by appointment within a week. That is how it worked at this time when I called. What surprised me is how calm and laid back he is in spite of all the beehive activity that surely surrounds him. Enjoyable conversation to boot!

Smiley

John

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/23/22 at 17:27:11

Quote:
As most of us probably guessed the new interconnects are made by a China supplier under his directions.

This is a troubling direction that Steve is taking.

Go ahead, ban me from the Forum but the truth is the truth.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 03/23/22 at 17:48:25

When I contacted Steve for a recommendation on speaker cables for the Tiny Radials, this is what he recommended that I purchased from Ebay.

recommend_cables_for_Tiny_Radials.jpeg

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/23/22 at 17:50:01

Should have added the description:
8ag Pure Silver plated OCC Hifi Speaker Cable Hi-end Speaker Wire for Amplifier

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 03/23/22 at 18:05:18

Archie I would much rather have access to what Steve uses on his equipment than not have it. How much do you think Decware can produce? Still enjoying your F15s? I really don't mean to be a smart ass but China is part of just about anything out there.

He did also mention that the speaker cables he has been using over the last year will be also available soon. Same configuration as the interconnects.

As long as it is under his microscope, I don't see any issue on who makes it.

John

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 03/23/22 at 18:36:39

I try to avoid buying things made in China when I can. This isn't always possible. Though I would prefer Steve going with a different option, I get his desire to balance cost and quality.

Ultimately, consumers get to choose what to buy. If you don't want cables made in China, spend your money elsewhere. I did the research and discovered that many high cost cables are rebranded or "reskinned" Mogami cables from Japan. Decided to skip the nonsense and buy Mogami direct from Japan, made in Japan. My points of comparison are pretty sparse as I couldn't afford to buy unnecessary cables merely for comparison purposes, but I am extremely pleased with Mogami.

As someone on an extreme budget, I have to take care where I spend. Cables are not an area I will pursue further for now. I did the research and bought the best I could afford in accordance with my personal values.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #25 - 03/23/22 at 18:44:15

Quote:
This is a troubling direction that Steve is taking.

Go ahead, ban me from the Forum but the truth is the truth.

If you research the process of creating single-crystal wire pulls, it is not possible to do as a small business and this OCC wire is what it takes to sound better than our 20 year reference cable.  OCC wire requires tech only found in the largest of wire and cable companies of which the best and most diverse are from China.  The majority of all wire comes from there regardless of the small or large American business braiding and branding it for audiophiles.

I pursue the best sound.  I had to make my own reference cables to get it -- which were unshielded.  When CoVid hit, logistics blew that design up and the cable had to be retired.  Additionally since it's invention nearly 20 years ago, we are now blasted with RF and WIFI and other noise that didn't used to be there.  Fortunately I started sampling wire for over a year to see what it would take to get the same or better sound with a full shield.  This is where that journey ended.  Do I care that some big company can make better wire than me, no.  I care more about making sure my amps sound their best and this is the cable that will ensure just that and you'll notice it's affordable.  I don't braid it into plant hangers, discharge a Tesla coil through it and charge $1000's per meter which would be a troubling direction.

Every cable btw, regardless of where the wire is made has the final assembly and testing done here at Decware by ourselves, so the direction we are taking seems pretty responsible considering we have 1500 amps on order.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 03/23/22 at 19:52:00

An article about the Ohno continuous cast copper process:

https://mcru.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/ohno.pdf

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 03/23/22 at 21:02:54

Thanks for providing more information on your thought process Steve. Not that it matters, but I agree that your focus needs to remain on the "hardware" like amps. That you have done the work to find high quality cables and bring them to your customers at a better price point is appreciated, regardless of origin.

I should add that though good, the Mogami I use are more traditional cables in a more economical strata from OCC wire. Mogami may have OCC cable, I am unsure. As I said before, we all have a budget and I tried to make the best purchase I could within mine. In fact, it was your (Steve's) use of Mogami for internal wiring in the past that brought it to my attention in the first place!

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 03/23/22 at 21:38:05

"Out of house" build is not at all my concern, if that's what was inferred from my post.  China manufacturing should be the absolute last resort.  Certainly if they have the best of the best like Lii Audio then great but building cables can't possibly be in that same category.  And yes, my opinion is purely based on an "America First' patriotism which some might view as political and therefore taboo.  But we all have to live our principles one way or another.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 03/23/22 at 22:07:20

I don't believe Mogami has used Ohno Continuous Cast copper.

IP Logged
michaelG

Reply #30 - 03/24/22 at 00:39:51

I find it interesting that Steve has vetted those ebay cables. I gives more options to us. And since I’m from Canada, buying Decware is already buying a foreign product  ;)

+1 for pro cables, for me it is canare4s8 for speakers and Lv61s (coaxial video cable) for interconnects.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 03/24/22 at 01:56:05

Some perspective on the import/export go-round;

The U.S. is the second largest exporter in the world. After Canada and Mexico, China is the next largest importer of U.S. goods and services.

Can't wait to get my own armada of Decware signal transporters and tie them together with these new cables.

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #32 - 03/24/22 at 03:24:52

When I started looking into high end cables there were a lot of annoyances. Like Archie, I’m a bit of a stickler when it comes to made in the USA. So if I wanted to live by that, then I wasn’t going to be buying anything from eBay or Amazon. So I started looking at cables made in the USA. BOY… they aren’t cheap and not every company says where they get their wire from. Props to Steve for transparency. When I coupled the cost of made here with the origin of the materials, it was a fairly frustrating experience. So I decided to try and make my own cables. And then that felt even more frustrating because most of the high quality connectors don’t originate from inside the USA. So I ended up sourcing most of my connectors out of Taiwan and China. One or two came out of Japan, and one other out of the UK. And, on some of these origins I honestly can’t be sure that they really came from where they said. The whole importer, exporter problem. But when I compared what I could make for a certain dollar value versus what I could buy, I decided to heck with it, and placed some orders for parts and pulled out my old soldering iron. I’m super lazy, but I’m also not rich, so that meant I had to make my own stuff for ultimate theoretical performance (solid silver). I’m super glad I did this and will never look back. For a time I was monkeying around with the idea of turning it into a business, but having gotten a clear sense of parts costs and labor, it stopped making too much sense. I still think that most cable makers are charging way way too much, but some places, like Decware, know how to make things at a fair price. When I sold hifi I always told my customers not to waste too much money on cables. I’ve since learned first hand how cables can make a wonderful and meaningful difference. One thing I know for sure, is that Decware doesn’t have the 90-95% margins like the majority of cable companies. And Steve is a wizard doing all of the experimentation that we would like to do but don’t have the will or time to do.

Exposure Super XV, Exposure CD (original), Rega Planar 3 (1986 - solid silver rewire), Dynavector DV20XH, Neat Acoustics Mystique II, DIY solid silver interconnects, DIY solid copper speaker wire.

Panasonic multibit, Verum, Etymotic, Elac, Pioneer, Schiit
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 03/24/22 at 14:43:29

Quote:
“American First’ patriotism

I am totally onboard with it. My problem is with greedy American capitalists as is being referred with many of the posts in this thread.

My words may have confused some that it was a simple drop ship supply of the new silver reference cables. I believe that has been cleared up.

Smiley

John

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #34 - 03/24/22 at 17:04:21

Quote:
China manufacturing should be the absolute last resort.

What makes you think it isn't?  See if you can find this wire here in the USA. : )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 03/24/22 at 19:45:23

Quote:
Some perspective on the import/export go-round;

The U.S. is the second largest exporter in the world. After Canada and Mexico, China is the next largest importer of U.S. goods and services.

W...T...F

US-China trade DEFICIT
https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html

get your shit together if you're gonna talk ECON

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 03/24/22 at 19:55:05

I was just listening with 3 sets of the DSR-3's and there's definitely an improvement regarding noise floor...with even more clarity and definition than before.

A very noticeable +++ on these over the DSR-II's.

The DSR-3's are staying....and looking forward to replacing the ZSTYX with the new speaker cables as soon as they're available!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 03/25/22 at 09:45:21

Quote:
See if you can find this wire here in the USA.

I had an exhausting search in China!

For you DIY guys that want to braid your own this is what I found:

In e-mail exchange the supplier assured me it is UPOCC copper. Do not know why sellers list the purity rating for OCC being it is single crystal - the purest. For those that are tempted to make their own be prepared for many hours of work that will enlighten you to the value that Decware is providing with the reasonable pricing.

John

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #38 - 04/13/22 at 19:28:12

Kulafu posted this a while back. I just got some, and they are MUCH better than the Duelund or 10 awg Mil spec I had used before it - and it is less expensive  ;)  

Quote:
When I contacted Steve for a recommendation on speaker cables for the Tiny Radials, this is what he recommended that I purchased from Ebay. 8ag Pure Silver plated OCC Hifi Speaker Cable Hi-end Speaker Wire for Amplifier

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202996838435?hash=item2f438df023:g:820AAOSwpFNexTeP

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/14/22 at 17:30:30

That's good to hear Geno, Ordered some also.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #40 - 04/14/22 at 19:11:07

Quote:
I wish Decware would make (or at least offer) the XLR to RCA cables you need to run the UFO amps as balanced monoblocs.

Steve, have you made any progress on this?

Thanks!

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 04/14/22 at 20:00:31

a ZBIT takes care of that problem nicely

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #42 - 04/14/22 at 20:10:17

Quote:
Posted by: lazb      Posted on: Today at 20:00:31
a ZBIT takes care of that problem nicely

ZBIT solves a different problem. It converts the differential signal to single ended before it is amplified. The cable to which Geno refers preserves the differential signal and makes your stereo amp a balanced monobloc.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 04/15/22 at 09:16:42

For speaker cables I'm holding these in my cart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-End-12TC-Speaker-Cable-OCC-Copper-Audiophile-speaker...

Same supplier as the interconnect wire posted above. I recieved a shorted(suppliers mistake) Angry order and completed two sets of 12" lenght interconnects. I spent a day in total failure attempting to make the two, then restarted the next day completing in a couple of hours! Waiting to receive the balance of that order before ordering the speaker cables.
Good to hear that these wires do not disappoint!

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 04/15/22 at 12:25:58

Also, this is the second order that was shorted from China. Different suppliers, each order was many pieces of the same item. Each order was short by many of the pieces. The first short order was fulfilled complete with a second shipment. I am still waiting for the other short order's second shipment which has been setting in the carriers China facility 4 days now Smiley

John

IP Logged
DanG
Verified Member

Reply #45 - 04/24/22 at 14:24:40

I purchased the DSR3 1M interconnect. I'm upgrading from the DSR, which I thought were great. IMHO these are better.

Well Tempered Lab Amadeus MK2 Turntable, Stereo & Mono carts, ZP3, SE84UFO, Lii Song Origin S-10, Audio Note CD1.1x
  IP Logged
DRB
Verified Member

Reply #46 - 04/27/22 at 01:53:45

This isn’t quite on the topic of the Decware interconnects, but it sort of follows the speaker cable options that came up in this thread. I’ll not belabor the point, the Gotham Audio 50150 GAC SPK COAX 2x2.5 speaker cable is a nice cable that is not too expensive. A single 12’ run from Amazon (link below) is $50. I am not sure where it can be found in bulk now. Instead of using it as a coax cable with the center conductor for the positive and the “shield” as the negative leg, I strip the center and wrap the outer conductors around the center then terminate with a decent connector. I learned this from the former Gotham Audio Rep. So a single 12’ run, as linked below, will yield a 6’ pair.  

The question of sonics will be asked, so here goes an attempt….

I have a pair of Canary M350 mono 300B amps (which is why I am keenly interested in the Steve’s new 300B amp), a highly modified, by me, Electron Images tube preamp, a Blue Circle DAC and Tidal loudspeakers (at the moment in this config I haven’t replaced them with my single driver speakers - I need to finish them before doing a shoot out, but my single drivers were my preference in my previous room configuration- the Tidals had no chance:-)).  I have tried cables from Argento Audio to home made scraps.  Cables can be tricky and I trust what Steve recommends. Strangely, cables shouldn’t make a difference, yet they do.  We can discuss the crazy physics behind it all, but at the end of the day the music speaking to us through our systems is what matters regardless what the test bench, or equations might say.

I had 4 different copper speaker cables on the Tidals. One was an unknown German brand I used to import.  It was quite good and is a constant go to for a reasonable speaker cable.  It is a 10’ pair for about $1200 retail.  The other was a well known British professional brand, Atlas, approximately 10’ pair for around $2k, some Canare Star Quad speaker cable and finally the Gotham 50150 speaker cable.

The German cable was good, upfront and added a honey glaze to the sound.  After a while it was too much of a good thing.  The issues I was having was that the sound was fixed to the speakers more than I hoped, unless I was completely centered then the image was good, but still located between the speakers and anchored and dripping of honey glaze.

The Atlas cables eliminated the honey glaze, which was a great thing.  However, they kept the sound bound to a foot to the left and right of the speaker cabinets.  The center fill was not bad, when centered, but I found myself looking for the balance control to force the speakers to image better.

I cannot say anything negative about the sonics of the Canare cables, but just as they did nothing bad, they did not do anything amazing.  They do their job and do it well.  

Now the Gotham…I have been looking for my system to do what Steve described the HDTs with the Lii driver have done for him. I wanted a walk through soundstage, transparency but not at the expense of musicality. I am mostly there now. With the Gotham speaker cables (I’ll go into my other cables - that are unconventional as well if you want me to) I now seem to have transparency, detail, and the experience of feeling as if a person is actually playing instruments instead of the sounds of the instruments coming through the speakers.  What I mean is that the human behind the physical catalyst that creates the note is there with the note. Notes are not just sounds,  they come from a warm human body that affects the weight of a piano key being struck to the microphone picking up the effect of the human body on the acoustic environment in which the music was recorded.  Now vocals not only have body, as so many audiophile publications like to proclaim, but they have all of the characteristics as if they person where there singing, body heat, warmth of the breath, the tightening of the muscles to belt out a note along with the movement of the person as they actually produce the notes.  The actuality of the event as a human-made event captured in time and space comes through more than I recall having heard it before.

I have spent some considerable time tweaking the system and following my standard speaker setup method and so I am sure the speaker cables are only part of the equation, but this the most recent series of tests and changes while everything else stayed the same.  

I have not heard a braided OCC cable, like GR Research or the cables shown above from eBay, or the cables from VH Audio. I have heard quite a few cables and the Gothams, if they match well with your system may be a wonderful addition for not very much money and effort, that some of you may enjoy.

Best Regards,

DRB

https://gothamcable.com/en/gothamcables/speakercables/50150coax2x25

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6PFEEI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Q2RNX2YBGVRDA8DAQ9C9

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 05/13/22 at 10:52:47

I ended up with this bulk cable for speaker cable use:

The Chinese have surely captured our ambiguous language. Their wording in this add skirts on the edge of deception. 8ag refers to? The 15awg in the description refers to the diameter of a single strand including the teflon jacket.
The bottom line is this cable is 11awg if using 8 strands of the 16 as one leg for a speaker connection. Two complete cables would need to be used for a 8awg speaker cable. I kind of figured this before placing the order and contemplating making another duplicate order of this cable. The cable as braided creates a tube inside that opens options for experimentation.
Right up my alley!

John

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #48 - 05/15/22 at 21:50:00

Hey Steve. I just noticed that Decware is now offering two new type interconnect cables - Y-RCA cables and SE84 bridge cables.

Please don’t forget that we also need your version of XLR to RCA cables for a fully balanced monobloc setup!

Thank you,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #49 - 05/16/22 at 03:55:37

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Yesterday at 21:50:00

...Please don’t forget that we also need your version of XLR to RCA cables for a fully balanced monobloc setup!

What Geno said.... Yes Please!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print