Send Topic Print
Cars!? (Read 15133 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Cars!?
02/26/22 at 12:11:45

I am just wondering if anyone has a decent car stereo anymore?

My current Jeep Grand Cherokee is adequate sounding but not outstanding.
I have a new Genesis GV70 on order that has a "Lexicon" sound system in it. The test car that I drove sounded fine, but I wasn't really paying much attention to it at the time.

So what do you folks have, and how does it sound?

Is there a Audiophile approved vehicle out there?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: Cars!?
Reply #1 - 02/26/22 at 13:03:17

Maybe the new Grand Cherokee with the new Macintosh 19 speaker system. The description sounds pretty lux. Their dual voice coil 10” sub should really help overcome road noise and give playback plenty of body.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/26/22 at 13:05:14

Donnie,

I have generally found OEM car stereos lacking. Cheap components, especially head units with underpowered amplifiers and crappy speakers.

I found aftermarket installation with quality components with quality wiring and sound proofing doors to work well. I usually opt for a vehicle without a navigation system and simply use Waze on my mobile phone when needed.

My system consists of a top level Pioneer headunit w/ line level outputs to a JL Audio five channel amplifier. USB output to a 260GB Classic iPod filled with FLAC files for most listening, but the Pioneer has a CD player. I have some excellent 6 1/2" component speakers in the doors w/ separate 1" tweeters all mounted in stock locations (front windshield pillars and upper rear door panels) in my Subaru Outback. No subwoofer.

The first and most important step is reducing external noise. That means treating all the door panels and floors under the carpeting (if possible) with a quality sound deadening product. I used hushmat products for my last installation.

If you don't want to install yourself, find a good local installer. Just check out car audio forums for recommendations. Good luck. If you spend time in your car commuting or traveling, it's a very worthwhile investment.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/26/22 at 13:23:31

This is basically the reason I don't listen to music when driving on long trips. Music in cars is OK for those short trips but gets irritating on long hauls because of what HK brings up.

This is funny timing Donnie, because over the last couple of days I been thinking of installing a new system in my country cruiser(motor home). A Zkit1 with Tiny Radials. I've already made some moves to make it happen!

Must be spring in the air Smiley

John  

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/22 at 13:42:57

In my younger days I found much joy in upgrading the stock audio system in a couple cars I owned. HK’s commentary on sound deadening is spot on, I never did any flooring work but did address the doors and that made a big difference.

Then getting married changed everything. The joy of listening to an upgraded system went out tts window and became meaningless so I never bother with it anymore. The bitching, complaining, and otherwise nonsensical yappery kills all desire to bother with audiophilia in the car. In the home I have total control there since the doors are locked to keep the bs nonsense out of my intimate dedicated sound sanctuary that brings sanity and joy.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/26/22 at 14:03:19

As a follow up to Brads comment, you can always strap yappy passengers to the roof rack. This provides you as the driver and listener an opportunity to enjoy your music, although there may be unintended side effects🤣😂

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #6 - 02/26/22 at 14:36:57

I think headphones would be a more practical way to provide quality audio and reduce noise.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 02/26/22 at 14:38:46

I'm thinking that it must be very difficult to integrate any type of improved head units into late model cars.

Everything that I have owned in the last 10 or so years has a central screen that everything from heat to sound is controlled from.

This is what the new car's dash will be like.

See, nothing that even looks like any sort of head unit.

I suppose that the aftermarket has overcame that problem somehow.

Better speaker drivers are out there, but I wonder how hard it is to get everything to play nicely with each other?

I guess I am lucky with my wife, she doesn't talk much at all. It isn't unusual for us to drive 150 miles and her having not said anything at all!
They say quiet women don't say much because of all of the secrets that they are keeping to themselves. I may be in trouble.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 02/26/22 at 15:24:38

Quote:
Posted by: HockessinKid      Posted on: Today at 13:05:14

...The first and most important step is reducing external noise.

I've got a Subaru Crosstrek with a decent enough sound system, and while that makes sense as a practical matter it probably isn't going to happen. My thing is the music I listen to (mostly classical) just has too much dynamic range and I've been looking for software to compress it (what I hate in recordings I listen to at home) so it plays better on the road. I haven't found anything, does anyone know any music program that might do this?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 02/26/22 at 16:18:52

I spend about 5 hours total a week in my car, max--that includes two trips to my Dad 55 miles away.

My Juke Nismo has a decent stereo system. It works for this little bit of time on the road. And I listen to NPR as often as I do cds, so sound quality is not as important then. And I actually like to converse with my wife when she's with me. So. . . my one criteria and possible addition to a new car would be to be sure it has a CD player.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/26/22 at 20:45:38

I have a 2012 Caprice PPV (ex police vehicle) with a big Chevy v8 slightly massaged.  I kept the stock mufflers because I'm old and like to be able to have a conversation while driving.  The stereo in it has been nurtured by the police and a lot features that there are buttons for don't work.  It's a standard size but Donnie is correct that the heater controls require the stereo interface to work.  

I think for music my only solution is an A/B switch and use my phone for music.  The stock system is OK for NPR and isn't bad but doesn't sound anywhere near as good as my wife's GTI that has a Fender sound system.  It even has a subwoofer that is special shaped and fits over the spare tire.

The other option would be a 2021 Range Rover with active noise cancellation built in or there is a company Silentium  that adds active noise cancellation thru your stereo or your headrests

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/26/22 at 21:06:01

Quote:
As a follow up to Brads comment, you can always strap yappy passengers to the roof rack. This provides you as the driver and listener an opportunity to enjoy your music, although there may be unintended side effects🤣😂

HK

perfect!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/26/22 at 21:07:30

Quote:
...And I listen to NPR as often as I do cds...

yeah we know  [smiley=icqlite27.png] Smiley

every once in a while, i turn to that blasted channel to find out what the enemy is saying. the explicit lies are relentless, the manner in which they pompously and arrogantly project themselves is absolutely vile. literally god damn NPR, i want my taxpayer money that funds that bastard marxist gov't propaganda operation back, and i'm absolutely positive many of us here on this very board would agree.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/26/22 at 21:50:59

But how does it sound?

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #14 - 02/26/22 at 22:03:38

I've also noticed that CD players in new cars are going the way of the dodo.

We were shopping around for my wife a new car the last few weeks and the only small SUV that had a CD player was a Lexus UX250H. Unfortunately she hated that car because she couldn't see over the dash.
The Jeep Compass didn't have a CD player, neither did the Hyundai Tucson that she ended up buying.

She used to have a Juke like Lon's and yes the stereo in it was just adequate if I remember correctly.
She seems to go through cars like shoes and purses.
I guess that is my first world problem.

I couldn't tell you the last time I listened to the radio. I have a 2Tb portable hard drive into the USB input of my Grand Cherokee set to random play. I think there is close to 50K songs on it! You have no idea of how random my music comes out. It might be Gospel followed by Thrash and then onto a 70's crap pop song.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 02/26/22 at 23:18:27

piezoman wrote on 02/26/22 at 21:07:30:
yeah we know  [smiley=icqlite27.png] Smiley

every once in a while, i turn to that blasted channel to find out what the enemy is saying. the explicit lies are relentless, the manner in which they pompously and arrogantly project themselves is absolutely vile. literally god damn NPR, i want my taxpayer money that funds that bastard marxist gov't propaganda operation back, and i'm absolutely positive many of us here on this very board would agree.

I have been trying to ignore your abysmal BS, incessant negativity, personal attacks and adolescent attitude with some success. I've even been able for the most part to pretend you're not even here. I'll say this though: more people on this board that I communicate with don't share your views. I'm proud to listen to and read many sources of information and to be able to discern manipulative deceit and misinformation.

Bye.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/27/22 at 01:10:37

Lon +1

Tom Waits:
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/27/22 at 04:16:38

Sadly, the Mark Levinson sound system in my 18 year old Lexus LS is slowly dying.  Foam surrounds on speakers are disintegrating and the CD changer’s belt drive mechanism has become loose.  Once upon a time it provided pleasing music.  Fortunately, the radio still works, but we have no stations in Kansas City that play classical, jazz, blue grass, blues, etc., and our one and only classic rock station has recently moved to a girly rock format.

Joining in the digression of a couple of previous comments, I do very much enjoy the Fish Fry, a fantastic 4 hour show of traditional music (blues, R&B, soul, jumpin’ jazz, and zydeco) that is produced by our local NPR station at UMKC.  It’s on the air both Friday and Saturday nights from 8PM to midnight, and I highly recommend it.  Outside of the Fish Fry, I’m 100% on board with Piezoman’s sentiments regarding NPR.

https://www.kcur.org/show/fish-fry

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/27/22 at 06:01:11

I drive an 82 Honda civic wagon, stock right down to the am/fm tuner and paper cone 4” dash speakers. There’s only 2 stations here: NPR news, and NPR classical. I’ve thought about upgrading the sound system but the road noise is so horrendous in that car it wouldn’t be worth it. Luckily I have about a 2 minute commute. When I am ready to really listen my hifi is always waiting. I’m thankful every day that I live in a (mostly) stable country, I have a car, a job, a crazy good hifi, a loving wife, and two great radio options.
It never ceases to amaze me how good people are at creating their own problems.
Then blaming those problems on others.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/27/22 at 14:46:12

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me how good people are at creating their own problems.
Then blaming those problems on others.

Stock-in-trade of the congenitally butthurt.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/27/22 at 16:03:23

Donnie,
I found a few portable cd units with usb outputs designed to overcome the lack of oem layers. So there is at least a workaround. I was looking at last year's Honda Ridgeline and they offered a cd as an accessory upgrade…maybe they feel that demographic has a need. I've been using usb thumb drives with mp3s now for a while mostly because the road noise overcomes subtle details.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 02/27/22 at 22:55:38

Quote:
Stock-in-trade of the congenitally butthurt.

This is the post of a person who likes to say "it doesn't affect me so i don't care" which translates to "i don't give a blank about most anythjng but me".

got it, you've made a similar point before, position noted - permanently.

Brad

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #22 - 02/28/22 at 02:05:21

I just wanted to know about what cars had a nice sound system in it and somehow it has degraded into some sort of political diatribe between two opposing sides.

I don't care what side you all fall on, we all need to meet somewhere in the middle in order to move forward.

My recommendation is that we all start by agreeing on the fact that better sounding music is superior than crappy sounding music.

With that being said, what cars have a nice sounding stereo in it?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #23 - 02/28/22 at 03:11:54

I don't know what stereo system your wife had in her Juke. My wife had a Juke as well, a lower package model, and a different stereo; mine is a better sounding one with 7 speakers including a sub. It does a decent job. For the amount of driving and listening I do it's more than adequate once I tweak the EQ. I'd recommend that level stereo in Nissan. I'd recommend a Juke too, I love my NISMO, but they no longer make them, I think 2020 may have been the final year.

Now my wife has a 2021 Honda HRV. She really likes it. Me less so--it's like a luxury car in comparison to my NISMO, and I prefer the sporty nature and more tactile driving experience that I have--coming as it does as my first car after a few decades of only owning a motorcycle. The stereo in the Honda is quite serivicable and richer and darker "flat" than mine, but less speakers and a less immersive sonic experience. And no CD player. I found an audio place that let me try several USB CD players in there, and none ultimately work without skipping (when the car isn't even moving).

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/28/22 at 06:41:56

BTW, whatever sound system you all have in your cars, PLEASE don't drive with headphones on.   Smiley

I saw that mentioned in this thread.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 02/28/22 at 07:27:28

Indeed. It distracts from texting.  

Just kidding!

Long time ago, I had a Blaupunkt radio and  cassette tape player dash unit. I forgot what speakers, might have been Canon, but maybe something else with similar name. I got that particular item because Blaupunkt had a reputation for its great tape players (for vehicles), and my experience bore that out.

Nowadays I just listen to local radio a bit, there being a pretty decent variety of music obtainable therefrom. When traveling, I'm like some poster above, just enjoying watching the countryside go by as a peaceful and quiet experience.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 02/28/22 at 08:36:12

Quote:
I just wanted to know about what cars had a nice sound system in it and somehow it has degraded into some sort of political diatribe

Like as keeps happening on a regular basis for over a year now. Are you telling us you're surprised? Disappointed? Aggravated? I'm with you on the last two, but at this point I'm certainly not surprised. I'm reading through a nice discussion and various chit chat about people's systems and their experiences with that- then, out of the blue (or out of the septic tank, more like it) comes this flaming blast of feculent foolery, having nothing whatsoever to do with the topic, or anything to do with audio at all. I'm tired of it, and it's obvious that most here are tired of it.

The only 'side' I'm on is that, this being an audio forum, I'm one the side of discussing audio. Period. There are over 6 million sites out there which welcome that political crap with open arms, for those interested in such discussion.

If someone lacks even the most basic reading comprehension skills to be able to understand what

- Discussions / questions on all audio related topics -

means, then someone needs to find himself  a grownup (or any smart 10 yr. old, even) to explain it for him.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 02/28/22 at 11:13:05

My around the town cruiser is a '04 Ford Ranger with factory AM/FM Cassette player. On good days it sounds pretty darn good above the audio tachometer background noise. The humid days fetch some airborne ignition spark. The popping puttering effect from unmolested ignition sparks is great during those long music break commercials.

Priceless Grin

I'm nostalgic like that.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #28 - 02/28/22 at 13:01:54

Lon wrote on 02/28/22 at 03:11:54:
I don't know what stereo system your wife had in her Juke. My wife had a Juke as well, a lower package model, and a different stereo; mine is a better sounding one with 7 speakers including a sub. It does a decent job. For the amount of driving and listening I do it's more than adequate once I tweak the EQ. I'd recommend that level stereo in Nissan. I'd recommend a Juke too, I love my NISMO, but they no longer make them, I think 2020 may have been the final year.

Lon,
I'm thinking that my wife had the SL trim, the highest trim level they had available at that time(2012 I think)
It was a cool little car, but she wouldn't let me drive it! The real downfall for it was that it had a real small gas tank and didn't get anywhere near the gas milage that you would think something that small would get.
And hers had the subwoofer in the back but I don't think that it was the system that your car has.

The worst thing about my concern about the stereos in cars is how little I really drive anyway.
My '18 Grand Cherokee has 32,000 miles on it and I'm ready to get rid of it. My wife's '18 Compass that she got rid of last week only had 10K miles on it.

Like I said before, First world problems.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/28/22 at 13:12:37

I bought my wife a Benz GLB 35 and loaded it.  Included is a Burmester (???) 12 speaker, subwoofer, 590w digital amp sound system.  In the bottom cavity of the rear yo can see the amp and sub.  It's quite good actually.  I don't know if it's audiophile grade but it does the job well.

I've been driving it more lately because I finally got fed up with FCA's lack of support and sold my Jeep Wrangler to a dealer.  Because of the difficulty of getting new vehicles both the dealer and I benefitted.  In the interim I've been driving my wife's car more than I typically would.  

I have not been listening to my typical choice of music when driving it.  I listen to the Sirius SPA channel of New Age music.  The cars is a sleeper and it's very easy to... exceed the posted speed.  It also has ferocious handling that is addictive.  So I listen to new age to keep my adrenaline down and to try not to drive like a hooligan.  

Doing that is working, usually, so the audio system has to be decent.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 02/28/22 at 13:33:55

Donnie wrote on 02/28/22 at 13:01:54:
Lon,
I'm thinking that my wife had the SL trim, the highest trim level they had available at that time(2012 I think)
It was a cool little car, but she wouldn't let me drive it! The real downfall for it was that it had a real small gas tank and didn't get anywhere near the gas milage that you would think something that small would get.
And hers had the subwoofer in the back but I don't think that it was the system that your car has.

The worst thing about my concern about the stereos in cars is how little I really drive anyway.
My '18 Grand Cherokee has 32,000 miles on it and I'm ready to get rid of it. My wife's '18 Compass that she got rid of last week only had 10K miles on it.

Like I said before, First world problems.

Yes, first world problems. My NISMO has a 12 gallon tank, which is not large, but I get 32 mpg and I can go over 350 miles on a tank, so I'm happy. It's a 2015 I bought new off a lot when the 2016 were out and I have 34,000 on it. Love it!

My wife lets me drive her Honda. I'd rather drive my Nissan!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/28/22 at 16:56:30

Quote:
Indeed. It distracts from texting.  

A guy I once worked with in LA said he read on his 2 hr commute -- and he was the driver!  Not to mention the gals putting makeup on in the mirror while on the freeway.   Roll Eyes    So texting is rather tame.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 02/28/22 at 17:53:11

A two hour commute in LA could mean significant time stopped bumper-to-bumper!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #33 - 02/28/22 at 20:18:19

I have a 2011 Toyota Tacoma that came stock with a pretty nice sounding stereo with 6 speakers. It has a CD player, but I have not used it in a while.

I got so aggravated with the shitty state of current radio, that I ended up getting XM, with a portable unit mounted on the dash. I really hated (still do!) the idea of paying a fee for music, but saw it as a necessity, having grown up always having music in my vehicle. I got the base package, so it is pretty cheap, and I can always find something to listen to.

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
SoCalBill
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 02/28/22 at 22:09:57

I drive a '68 bug and while I did put in speakers and such (it came with just one), I mainly hear a few things while driving:
- The 1904 with dual carbs working away just a few feet from the back of my head
- Other drivers honking at me in either appreciation or aggression while I putter down the freeway
- My Wife constantly asking me "Why"
As for the "sound system" - eh, it does provide a good distraction in the summer months when the oil is running as hot as lava and I question why I still drive my beloved Betty around.

Schiit Aegir | Schiit Freya + | Schiit Mani 2 | Schiit Lokius | Cambridge CXN2 | VPI Prime 21 | Ortofon 2m Black LVB 250 | Forte 3's | Blue jeans cables
  IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #35 - 03/02/22 at 06:55:42

I prefer not to discuss religion or politics. Especially here. This place is my haven for the pursuit of great sound.

Pioneer makes some good head units. Personally l prefer Kenwood. They have MOSFET amps available. I have one paired with single full range drivers. The sound is wonderful. I stream Spotify. The only regret I have on the Kenwood is getting one with a CD player. If I had to do it all over again I would go mechless.

Where did I get single full range drivers for my car? They came with my 2008 Ford Crown Victoria police interceptor. You will have to ask Ford where they got the 6"X8"  whizzer cone wonders. Then let me know.

I got the Crown Victoria a couple I f weeks after I seized the motor up on my Dodge Caravan. On the interstate. At 70mph. Ever see a check engine light flashing? It means you are S.O.L. 70mph with no brakes or steering. Fun times.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #36 - 03/02/22 at 17:12:39

Donnie…. What I have noticed is that foreign cars specifically German and British seem to do a better job with their stereo systems in general.  I have a 27-year-old Lotus Esprit that came stock with a JVC system that was actually pretty decent.  

After I started modifying my car with all sorts of upgrades including a cat bypass pipe, ram air, blow off valve, etc. etc.… The stereo system didn’t cut it.  

I replaced all of the speakers with Boston acoustics, new wiring, a high output Alpine CD head unit, and added these low profile Pioneer mini subs behind each seat that were perfect for filling in the bass.  

I also did insulate behind the engine compartment to help with noise.  I then wired in an iPod charging dock to play Flac files from my fifth generation iPod.  As technology advanced ..I decided to replace that with my dragonfly red USB DAC tied into my iPhone which allows me to play my Hi-Res files streamed through TIDAL and Qobuz.  That was definitely a big step forward now getting audiophile sound in my car.

With my home construction project totally consuming my life these days… I have not had a chance to use my car for almost 8 months, but I can say that even with my roof off and cruising on the highway… I still get good sound….that’s until the car backfires and shoots a flame ball.  

Unfortunately it seems like head units are a thing of the past… And most of the aftermarket head units out there are now double DIN integrated NAV systems.  

For the brand new cars out there…it makes it very hard to make upgrades to the audio system.   The biggest bang for your buck now may be to buy an audio quest dragonfly and send it through an available audio jack if your car has one.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 03/09/22 at 17:34:56

If I tell you guys that my 5Yr old Chevy Traverse has a factory Premium Bose sound system, nine mid/uppers and a small subwoofer, in it that sounds pretty damm good, you'll all laugh.
But, using built-in controls, I can make it sound the best it can and it is better and more powerful than many add on systems I have had installed in other cars.
It's a car stereo, for heaven's sake. We must manage our own trade offs!

But, being older, I still have a CD player in my car.
My wife's newer Chrysler 300 has no player of any sort. However, her car grabs her cell phone right away and so she has her subscription service bluetoothed and up and running instantly, hands free on the phone, but the screen has to be given commands. Very good for her style of background (not really)listening.
I have to dink around some to sync my cell's functions, but I do like the auto mute/handsfree function my car offers.

Basically, I dump all the mids, pull the bass back a touch, boost the treble (the extent of my built in controls) crank it up some and it is not half bad at all. My Chevy sound is still better than her Premium Chrysler Beats Audio system by far.

So, for now, factory all the way. Probably getting another Traverse, soon. We'll see how that goes.
I love the thread, Donnie!
Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 03/09/22 at 18:07:54

I'm not laughing--I bet your system sounds good.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 03/10/22 at 06:30:36

Not bad at all, Lon. It's a car I use, ya know. It could be worse, for sure.

Seems I remember you being called upon once to care for a parent and, due to traveling, had only a small Bose system to use for a while.

As I see it, what ever you can use to enjoy music all the time is going to be OK, at least. While the quality of a system can add to the pleasure, a "music desert" is a tough place to get through.
It is the music that keeps me going, regardless of the many other factors involved.
Smiley

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #40 - 03/11/22 at 22:20:57

Well this car thing for me keeps getting weirder and weirder.

There are no '22's available so now I am on the top of the list for a '23, due early fall.
Sounds strangely familiar doesn't it?

Hopefully the old beater Jeep keeps going, 32K miles in a Jeep is playing with fire!

Anyway I will have the full boat 18 speaker Lexicon sound system.
Hopefully I will be able to shut all of the DSP crap off.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #41 - 06/19/22 at 00:19:59

I wanted to revisit my car stereo questioning session.

Well first of all, Genesis informed me that they wouldn't be able to produce the car that I have had on order since January. So no Lexicon sound system for me!

Yes, first world problems.

So I thought about it a bit, stepped up and ordered a Porsche Macan.

I had a choice between a stock no name stereo, a Bose, system and a exotic Burmester stereo.

The Burmester was a $5K bump up over the Bose, so I stayed with Bose.
Hopefully I will be OK with "No highs and no lows".

So like everyone else, I'm on a waiting list.  So it looks like getting a nice new car takes a year also, but no cool T-shirt.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #42 - 06/19/22 at 02:11:11

I've been having a similar but different problem. All I want is a decent cassette deck for my '72 Monte. NOS is no good, the belts will be shot.  Chinese replacement belts are as expected, worthless. So it leaves me thinking a new, shaft mount, with two knobs, head unit with a cassette deck that can do CO2 tape. Not likely to happen.  Speaking of keeping things all analogue...

Every year about this time when it heats up and my Monte looses some zip I research fuel injection. It's almost a ritual. This year I came closer than ever to actually doing it but then the car started pulling a lot harder. I got the message. Me and this car go back to when I was 15 years old so by now there is a line of communication between us.  Like how it always runs twice as good after a car wash and shit like that.  Anyway, since I got nowhere with the NOS Sony Cassette Deck with the replacement belts... I decided to tune the car. I dialed in the carb nice and tight and set it up for hot weather. Boy did it like that! And so did I, as the money saved and the pride of analog continue to rule. The car is pulling harder and has more snap than it ever has. I got this message too. Plus it wouldn't have been as satisfying to make that Dodge Hell Cat work so hard for it.

I wouldn't have been able to say you almost got your ass kicked by a 50 year old carburetor : ). (Did actually get his ass kicked up until 130 mph).

Seriously, how hard can it be to find a high quality cassette deck for the car? I guess it's no less difficult than trying to find a new toilet that actually has more than an inch of water in the bowl.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #43 - 06/19/22 at 02:14:10

No highs and no lows - I was going to say nothing goes faster than Bose!  But then I thought - or was it, No highs and no lows - nothing blows faster than Bose!  No, that wasn't it.  It was the first one.

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #44 - 06/19/22 at 02:54:59

Yeah Steve I remember the Yamaha cassette deck I had in my first new car, a 1982 Mercury Capri RS 5.0, the fastest car a 21 year old kid working in a machine shop could afford.

The Yamaha was extremally well made and great sounding. The Capri was a little less good. In the 4 years from new I owned it, the body rusted through from Illinois winters and everything else either rattled loose or stopped working. Quality control was a lost art in those dim days of American cars.

While it was "fast" in it's day a stupid little modern 4 cylinder car would eat it for lunch.

Time marches on.

Break down and put a Holly EFI on your Monty, you will gain a easy 75 HP and the car will pull harder and cleaner all through the range.

Carburetors are just semi controlled leaks! The EFI will make you kick yourself for waiting so long to do it.

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 06/19/22 at 11:52:40

We had a Motorola AM-FM cassette that blew the doors off our Plymouth. Like the Plymouth it too has faded away. I looked  at the Custom Autosound offerings but they only offer OEM look radios with CD and Bluetooth, no cassette.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 06/19/22 at 13:52:39

I think it might be worthwhile to get a top notch head unit with preamp inputs and hook up a Nakamichi cassette tape deck with a AC/DC converter, if you can find the space under the dash. Not a perfect solution by any means, but should result in a good sounding system.

HK

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/19/22 at 14:28:42

Years ago I was into car audio. Stopped at a local shop and the guy says I have 21 speakers running at one ohm if you'd like to hear it. We go out to the parking lot and he's got an early 80's Regal that looks bone stock inside and out. I get in the car and WTF is this stock GM radio??? Nope, he took the stock radio and cut the faceplate off to cover up a modern head unit. The sound was hair raising, but that faceplate stuck with me more as I love "just like it sat on the showroom floor" cars. Get the dremel out Steve!

This thread brings back memories of helping my dad put a cassette deck in our 77 Grand Prix. A Blaupunkt. "They put these in those fancy Lamborghinis", ok dad but this is a Pontiac. He wasn't the easiest guy to live with, but taught me so many valuable things. That may have been the first time I got burned with a soldering iron.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 06/19/22 at 19:36:08

None of my Nakamichis would fit into the dash of any car I've ever seen.

I did have van once with built in AC power and I carried around a Sony cassette player. Never wanted to subject my best to the road. The one I did that to was in a rack mount, making it too much of a pain for double use like that.

If I had taken out the air conditioner in my 63 Dodge Custom 880, it would probably fit, but them's fightin' words.
Factory air from that era was huge, but living in south Texas, you choose A/C over most else.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 06/19/22 at 20:37:58

Quote:
helping my dad put a cassette deck in our 77 Grand Prix. A Blaupunkt. "They put these in those fancy Lamborghinis"

And in Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, et al.

With the Blaupunkt (de. > en.: BluePoint) and two Canton speakers on the rear deck, it sounded pretty good in my mid-'80s Mazda, too. Better sound than many had in their house.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print