Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 08:00:47 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Trippin' In The Fields of Decware (Read 16656 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Trippin' In The Fields of Decware
Reply #50 - 03/08/22 at 16:53:35

I hear you. Similar things happening to an extent here. I've had to cut back on watching multiple coverages, and I've had comfort discussing this with my father who is a historian with great insight and a spiritual inspiration.

It has been tough times for me for some time now. I'm getting used to it, more's the pity.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 03/08/22 at 17:43:34

Speaking of CSP3 tubes, mine shipped with a rectifier tube with large “Made in Russia” print.

Strongly considering smashing the tube with a hammer!

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 03/08/22 at 18:09:27

Never underestimate how cold and cruel the world can be. Not saying you have to get use to it. Careful it does not lead you into a dark place. Lon is right about talking to others for insight.  

Good luck DancingSea

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 03/08/22 at 18:22:11

And in those dark places, once in awhile, we get shown the light, in the strangest of places, if we look at it right...

Smiley

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 03/08/22 at 18:45:33

For sure

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 03/08/22 at 20:43:41

I take solace in listening to this group of Benedictine monks I stumbled upon.  They broadcast several times a day live from Ireland.  While I'm not Catholic, I find their singing very comforting in these troubled times.  So I am listening to music, just not on the hifi.....

https://www.churchservices.tv/glenstal

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 03/09/22 at 03:19:38

On y’all’s ZR2, are the red rca connectors on the top or bottom row?

Thx

IP Logged
Zork
Verified Member

Reply #57 - 03/09/22 at 03:42:41

Top row.  Same with the RCAs on my ZBIT.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 03/09/22 at 03:56:20

Mine red on top for ZR2. So glad to hear that’s normal.

But red on bottom row for ZBox and all my Marantz gear.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 03/09/22 at 17:04:08

I agree with Lon. We RESPECT this house and its rules.

I spent a lot of time in the past on the Steve Hoffmann site and he had a special section, seperated from the On Topic discussions related to strictly audio.
You had to be a "seasoned member" to even post in that section.

And when I say STRICT, they really meant it over there. At one time there were over twenty five Moderators, comically called Gorts, who were often moving threads around.

I don't think we need that here. I think we can "police" ourselves due to the level of respect we all hold for Steve's enterprise.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 03/09/22 at 17:06:24

Back to topic:

This ZRock sounds like a marvel. I can't wait to hear one!!

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 03/09/22 at 17:25:14

"seasoned member" only...  ;D   We're seasoned alright, but apparently the wrong 'seasoned'. We'll stay clear of folks so obviously well deserved.. can never be worthy like that.... [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 03/09/22 at 17:26:01

Yes, the Hoffman forums have strict moderation.  Someone made a post asking if we ever feel guilty about the expense of our systems.  I jokingly asked if they were Catholic. My post was promptly removed as having an “unnecessary religious reference”.  Which leads me to wonder, what does a “necessary religious reference” look like?

Last night I braved to turn the ZR2 dial past 3/4 where the treble attenuation begins.  It did an excellent job of taming a bright 1980’s era rock recording.

Such a clever design. No annoying 5 EQ bands to adjust, just one knob does all.  Steve says the ZR2 makes every recording sound like reel to reel.  I’m inclined to agree.

If you can get past the audiophile dogma of EQ is evil, the ZR2 will have a profoundly positive effect on your system.  Just have to make sure the input impedance on the device after the ZR2 is high enough to get the full benefit.  It will work into a minimum of 10K, but sounds best above perhaps 47 or so, something like that.

I tried it into 10K and you lose db and it’s simply not as good across the board.

An absolute bargain at $879 in terms of the effect on a system.  Could spend far more trying to tune tone with expensive cables and not have the ability to easily adjust tone on the fly with one knob.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 03/09/22 at 18:12:44

We told you so regarding the ZROCK2. Wink

It's an invaluable tool for my systems. Feed it the best power, the best cabling, a great tube. . . and it lifts all boats like a high tide.

I've been a Hoffman member for about a decade or more. . . though I mainly just hang out in a jazz discussion thread I created there. During that time the only forum I knew that you could not "hang out in" right away was the CLASSIFIEDS--you needed a requisite number of posts, 50 I think, to access that forum. The musical forums one could jump right into. . . .

It's a heavily modified place, but I go there to discuss music for the most part so it's easy to respect the boundaries for me. I've learned to curb my tendency towards irreverent humor and witticisms.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 03/09/22 at 20:37:36

Your affection and enthusiasm for the ZROCK2 is contagious.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 03/09/22 at 22:35:49

The ZRock2 is SO good that you don’t even need an amp, source, or speakers!

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 03/09/22 at 22:39:56

lol

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 03/09/22 at 23:02:20

Yes, one of the 25th anniversary mods connects the ZRock directly to your cerebral cortex.  

All incoming audio gets a bass boost.  Wife yelling at you?  At least her voice will have body and weight…

IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 03/10/22 at 03:07:25

Please stop or I’ll end up ordering one. I’m supposed to be off the merry go round!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 03/10/22 at 06:07:51

Quote:
Yes, one of the 25th anniversary mods connects the ZRock directly to your cerebral cortex.

Oh, and don't forget to mention that for a limited time only, with this offer, you get a tracking micro-chip implanted at no additional charge.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 03/11/22 at 01:23:27

Call me crazy, but thinking about switching my amp order for a ZROCK2.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 03/11/22 at 02:24:16

Ah Grasshopper, the pupil has become the master…

Grin

Be sure the input impedance on your current amp is high enough for the ZR2.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 03/11/22 at 10:22:57

Quote:
Oh, and don't forget to mention that for a limited time only, with this offer, you get a tracking micro-chip implanted at no additional charge.

That's so passé.

"Smart" phone = tracking phone, even when turned "off"-not-really-off. And a lot more info than just location.

No need for expensive medical implantation.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 03/11/22 at 17:14:18

lol  My daughter is talking about abandoning her smart phone altogether.  Personally, I still use a flip with Data turned off.  I don't know if this means I'm okay or if I need to get rid of mine.  I was forced to go 4G recently so maybe.

Sometimes I feel that we are all willfully and cheerfully marching into the gas chambers.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 03/11/22 at 17:31:51

Would a ZStage work in conjunction with a ZROCK2? I have long been tempted by the ZROCK.

I gather they are for different applications. I have heard some people discuss that they don't use the ZROCK 2 as much with vinyl, only when streaming. I would imagine it also might matter if you are using a preamp or not?

I am trying to discern when you would use one, or the other, or both.  I don't plan on a preamp at this point and will just be using an MKV.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 03/11/22 at 18:06:35

Quote:
I have heard some people discuss that they don't use the ZROCK 2 as much with vinyl, only when streaming.

I'm not sure who is saying this but I use my ZR2 100% of the time.  It may take a ZR2 to make streaming listenable (IDK since I don't stream) but with vinyl it just takes an already great sound and makes it even better.

My guess is that with a ZSTAGE you may want a ZR2 but with a ZR2 you wouldn't need a ZSTAGE.  I believe the ZR2 does what a ZSTAGE does but not the reverse.  But I've never had a ZSTAGE.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 03/11/22 at 18:15:57

I agree with Archie. I had a ZSTAGE for a spell in a system at my parents' home years ago. I think a ZSTAGE and a ZROCK2 could work well together, but a ZROCK2 will be more beneficial by itself than a ZSTAGE.

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 03/11/22 at 18:25:19

Thank you gentlemen!

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 03/12/22 at 10:48:48

Quote:
I have heard some people discuss that they don't use the ZROCK 2 as much with vinyl, only when streaming.

I've had the Zstage in my system for a spell. It did as advertised but ultimately it was removed because the sound was more organic without.

I just recently obtained a Zrock2. Over the short period of time it has been used so far, it has proved to be an impressive device. Playing the Yellow Submarine CD it just introduced an very enjoyable fullness to that notary thinness of Beatle recordings. But, I took it out the other day and noticed that it seems to reduce the sound stage a bit when inserted and bypassed with the A/B switch. Could just be the need to further explore adjustments of the Zrock2 or ?.....time will tell. I have no plans of giving it up at this time though Cool

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print