04/16/24 at 19:53:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZCD200i CD Player (Read 4073 times)
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

ZCD200i CD Player
02/16/22 at 22:44:52

Old timer here (both me and the player). Another bout of "Thinning the Herd" coming. I don't know why I have 6 or 7 disc players of one type or another, but I do. I'm putting this on the forum first in case anyone from the "family" wants it. If it doesn't sell in a week, I'll put it on US Audio Mart. Asking $350.00 plus shipping, but I'm open to offers. I've sworn off PayPal due to the changes in their policy regarding reporting sales for tax purposes. This is a hobby for me - not a business. Cashier's checks, money orders, automatic funds transfers all work. The unit works perfectly, but it does have scratches on the top, which I'll try to show in the pictures.

Also, just a heads up - coming up next is my PS Audio Perfectwave Transport (not the Memory Player), and my Cary Audio 303/300 tube or ss output. Any interest, let me know, and I'll work on pricing.

ZCD200i1.jpg
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Re: ZCD200i CD Player
Reply #1 - 02/16/22 at 22:48:37

Pic 2

ZCD200i2.jpg
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/16/22 at 22:50:08

Pic 3

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/16/22 at 22:51:35

Pic 3

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/22 at 22:56:38

OK, well, I guess that's all the pictures that I can post. Message me for more. Here is more info on the player...

Tube regulation was added to the power supply which cleans the power better than an expensive power conditioner. I am rating it 8 out 10 only because there is a scratch in the top. It has never been rack mounted and been on it's own shelf with excellent ventilation.

I have included Steve's description, as well as the stock unit's original specs below:

This is the Decware modified Tascam professional CD player. It features a single ended triode analog output stage that completely replaces the original analog section of the machine.

The Tascam units have enjoyed a long reputation with recording studios as the reliable red book CD player and when compared to consumer grade players it easy to see why they don't break. Huge power supply, steel transport and it even sounds OK stock.

With such a solid platform the unit was an ideal candidate for the extensive tweaking and modifications it got. The actual analog tube output section was based on the success of our previous two players but scratch built especially for this players DAC section. It was good but the proverbial question "could it be better?" drove the R&D through 7 completely different circuits with each one slightly better than the previous and each one carefully voiced at the cost of many late evenings.

The ZCD was designed to be a "real sleeper" and completely untouchable at the price. It's performance is impressive in all categories but one - imaging. This players imaging and sound stage are highly refined making it absolutely exceptional for those SET purists. The holographic abilities of our amplifiers and speakers are well served by this players presentation.

FEATURES ZCD200i

One of the best features of this player is the ergonomics and ease of use. No excess complications or delays. It responds instantly to your wishes. Yes the CD drawer actually opens at the precise moment you press the button... it doesn't test your patience by having to think about it for several seconds.

Easy to read from across the room and fully operated by a simple (included) remote.

It can be rack mounted or the ears can be easily removed to fit inside conventional audio cabinets.

Tube replacement is from the rear. No access to the inside is needed. Uses 1 12AT7 and is also compatible with 12AU7's.

Analog tube stage runs at reduced voltages for extended tube life and to eliminate any heat. Even the tube itself only gets barely warm to the touch. The tube stage has been designed for 24/7 operation 365 days a year. Tube life is 2 years minimum but likely to go several more. It stays on warmed up for peak fidelity even when the CD player is off. There is an indicator LED on the front panel that shows the status of the tube stage.

High quality Gold/Teflon RCA jacks are included for the analog tube outputs and the stock OP AMP driven outputs are left in tact and operational on the stock RCA jacks.
The carefully voiced tube stage is fed direct from the DAC so there are no solid state components in the analog signal path. Selected top grade resistors and coupling caps are used with gold ceramic tube socket. Single Ended Class A circuit with no feedback.

ZCD031.jpg

An isolated ground is incorporated that separates the audio ground from the digital ground. The digital ground is tied to the chassis. This has sonic merits that will become self evident once you've heard it.

The stock variable headphone jack was left in tact and un-modified. Also the pitch control has been left active with a bypass (on/off) switch. This means any studio using a stock Tascam CD160 or CD160MK II or CD 200 can replace it with a Decware ZCD200i without loosing any features and gaining an unreal improvement in sound quality.

High output level from the analog tube stage is a bonus. It develops enough drive and dynamics to ensure that anything you hook to it is sure to be woken up! The output level is adjustable from 0 to a minimum of 5 volts.

THIS IS A RED BOOK (standard CD's) CD PLAYER ONLY. It plays all red book format CD's including ones you burn yourself. It also has a feature for playing MP3's and handles them very nicely. This player will not play DVD's or SACD's.

The ZCD200i features an integrated IPOD dock on the front of the machine. A drawer slides out to receive the IPOD. When the IPOD is docked it is automatically charged and kept that way. You can change from CD to IPOD and back again on the fly. The IPOD can be controlled with it's own facilities or from the players front panel and or remote control. Very handy.

Model ZCD200i

Getting the output of the IPOD to work with the machines stock output and the added tube stage was a bit tricky, but what's the point of having an IPOD if we can't take it's output directly to the tube stage without anything in-between? To make happen we installed a silver contact switch located on the front of the player to switch the tube output stage from CD to IPOD. You would be surprised how good an IPOD TOUCH can sound when direct coupled to a good analog tube stage!

There is also an AUX input located on the front of the player for 3.5mm mini stereo jack used by IPODS, Phones, MP3 players etc., that can be used with any line level device. The aux input is directly fed to the tube output stage.

VIDEO

In addition to the ultimate analog IPOD dock for music, a composite color video jack and SVIDEO jack are provided on the rear of the player so you can watch anything you normally see on the screen of IPOD, on your TV set. That means videos and movies, internet access, your own picture collections, etc.

SPECIFICATIONS FROM TASCAM BEFORE MODIFICATIONS:

A super-professional, industrial-quality CD player—now with MP3 support!
The CD-200i offers an easy, affordable solution to installations or PA rental where the extra features of a more complex CD player might go unused. Yet it provides features such as pitch control with an on/off knob, a headphone output with level control, intro check, anti-shock memory, and a variety of convenient playback modes which can help prevent the user from making a mistake.

The CD-200i can also play back MP3 and WAV files from data CDs and display ID3 tags and CD-Text. The included wireless remote control gives access to most features and allows a track to be selected directly via a 10-key pad.

Features:

Easy-to-use, affordable CD player
High-quality TEAC drive (supports CD-R and CD-RW)
Audio CD playback
MP3 and WAV file playback from CD
Folder selection for MP3 and WAV CDs
Continuous, Random and Program playback modes
CD text and ID3 tag support to display artist and track information if available
Time display (CD-DA: Elapsed, Remain, Total Remain; MP3: Elapsed)
±12.5 % pitch control (CD-DA over analogue outputs only)
Anti-shock memory (10 seconds)
Headphones output with level control
Analogue output (RCA)
Repeat playback (Single, All, Folder)
Intro Check feature
Index search
SPDIF digital outputs (coaxial and optical)
Wireless remote control included
19-inch rack-mount chassis (2U)
Specifications:

GENERAL

Compatible disc formats: CD-DA (12-cm/8-cm), CD-ROM (12-cm/8-cm) ISO 9660 LEVEL 1/2/ROMEO/JOLIET format (CD-R/CD-RW disc compatible)
MP3 Playback Specifications:
Audio Mode: Stereo/Joint Stereo/DualChannel/Mono/VBR; MPEG1 Audio Layer III (MP3)
Sampling frequency: 32kHz/44.1 kHz/48 kHz
Bit rate: 32–320 Kbit/s
WAV Playback Specifications:
Sampling frequency: 8kHz/11.025 kHz/12 kHz/16 kHz/22.05 kHz/24 kHz/32 kHz/44.1 kHz/48kHz
Quantization bit rate: 8-bit/16-bit
CD-DA playback specifications
Sampling frequency: 44.1kHz
Quantization bit rate: 16-bit
Number of channels: 2 (Stereo)
AUDIO PERFORMANCE

Frequency response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz ±1.5 dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (S/N): > 90 dBA (20 kHz LPF)
Distortion (THD+N):

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/25/22 at 18:57:05

I think that's a chicken head knob I see near the tube on the back, is that the output gain adjustment?

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/26/22 at 05:03:37

Exactly, Edward. That probably would have been easier to tell if I could have attached Picture 3, but I think that I went over the size limit. Anyway, the analogue output and tube regulation are what separates this player from a regular cd player, and gives it the Decware signature.

Randy

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/02/22 at 17:42:42

Resized photos:

3CA66421-08BE-435C-9FD3-4C33C032A868.jpeg
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/02/22 at 17:44:27

The back:

2F2D8196-869F-43E3-8C69-DF6B072D0213.jpeg
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/02/22 at 17:46:01

The rest:

604354EB-0AE0-45DC-9280-8709F2E030C5.jpeg
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/02/22 at 19:03:18

Edward, what year build is this and approximate hours?

Thanks, Randall

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/03/22 at 03:23:10

Hey Ed! Thanks for resizing the photos for me. A little more appealing now.

Bilyeaux, I'm afraid that I can't answer your questions, as I'm the second owner. I purchased it in 2013, listened to it quite a bit at first, and then due to family obligations, it's been in storage for the last few years. I was recently reunited with all my audio equipment after moving from WA to AZ, and realized that I have about seven disc players of one type/brand or another. Time to thin the herd. This is the first of a number of players that I'll be putting on the market, so if this one doesn't make your trains collide, stay tuned.

IP Logged
jimmydrunk
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 03/09/22 at 17:37:58

PM sent...

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/31/22 at 03:52:44

SOLD!