Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 18:58:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Diode rectifier vs tube rectifier (Read 1209 times)
Steve Sullivan
Verified Member

Diode rectifier vs tube rectifier
02/16/22 at 14:31:42

Hi, I am new to the forum.   I am going to build a Zen triode amplifier from the ZKIT1 circuit board.   I see the latest circuit drawing from 10/21 uses diodes for voltage rectification, and I also see an option drawing select_schematic.pdf that shows a 5u4 rectifying tube circuit.  I am trying to understand the benefits of both options  to decide which way to go with my implementation.    Appreciate any guidance on this.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Diode rectifier vs tube rectifier
Reply #1 - 02/16/22 at 23:33:09

Hi Steve and welcome!

Short answer the Zkit1 is the circuit board kit. Decware supplies the board and schematic/parts lists are avaiable online. It has solid state diodes. A hand made chassis would be needed.

The 5u4 schematic is from an old kit Decware offered years ago. It was a point to point assembly with no circuit board. The kit is no longer offered by Decware but with some research there is enough info online to build a clone using a hand made chassis.

As far as sound differences, the diodes work well and seem not to effect sound quailty. The 5u4 can create a bigger sound stage from most reports and my 20 minute window of listening to it.

Zkit1 is easier to complete. Point to point will take more leg work and a bit of a learning curve to understand how the circuits work. There is also a series of YouTube videos on the assembly process of the discontinued point to point kit.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Steve Sullivan
Verified Member

Re: Diode rectifier vs tube rectifier
Reply #2 - 02/17/22 at 06:33:27

Thanks for the reply,  that is very helpful.   I think I will stick with the diode implementation for the first go around,  although I do like the thought of the tube rectifier.   I read on a guitar amplifier forum that the 5U4 rectifier provides a more "liquid" sound, which intrigued me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print