Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:52:41 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Returning Fan of Decware Products (Read 41187 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: Returning Fan of Decware Products
Reply #50 - 04/10/22 at 23:05:30

Quote:
I don't remember ever getting crosswise with anyone here, myself.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I can tell you I am not a very sensitive fellow. My skin is thick and hard.

Yup, you're wrong, you know it and I followed up on it, instead you blocked my pm afterwards.

My skin also is hard as a rock, and have zero fear. No guts, no glory.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 04/11/22 at 00:02:51

OK, so you remember something I don't.

I will say that I don't know how to block PMs, except globally. There is a checkbox to stop PMs in general. I would not join a site expecting feedback from members and deliberately prevent them from contacting me. That would make no sense.

You say I know we were crosswise at some point, but I don't recall. I truly wish you would elaborate. Send me a PM if you want. As far as I know I should be able to recieve. Only trouble I have ever had was in sending PMs, but not receiving.

What happened?  Did you dis' me for my constant JBL/Crown/McIntosh flag waving and I gave you "no quarter" or something? If it's politics, then I'll look forward to a PM from you to help explain your meanings.
I really would like to get back to even ground between us.

I honestly don't remember pissing you or anyone here off.
I will not apologize or concede until I know WTF you are talking about, though.

So, we've been crossways. Let's try to fix it. Please.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 04/11/22 at 00:33:13

Fair enough, and good on you to bare it all.

You have a PM.

Brad

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 04/11/22 at 03:10:01

I responded.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 04/11/22 at 14:51:04

The misunderstanding is mine and I owe DD a public apology.

He is a very different man, and much welcomed, than what I assumed based on a post that I totally misinterpreted.

Welcome aboard, brother!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 04/11/22 at 17:31:26

Accepted in earnest. But you did not owe me anything except a chance proceed on my own.

Thanks for the grace you have shown me.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 04/12/22 at 19:29:28

... back to reality:

I almost have my table saw uncluttered, but my chop saw is set up on my old Workmate, outside. It will do for the corner absorbers I am in the process of rattling together.

Most all the cutting is almost done and other redundancies keep trying to stop me, but my idea for a curved front surface to my corner absorbers is still to be fully screamed out.

Resistance is futile!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 04/14/22 at 16:09:37

Managed to get two completed corner traps up. Two more on the way to completion.
Found some 1/4"x2" furring strips used for supporting plaster wall installs, which would bend enough to bulge out the front  of my corner absorbers.

So, I used staples into the frames on the 705 at the edges and construction adhesive along the curved front. Seems to be holding fine after one day. I have four so far, two finished and two in the the glue stage. Working on the front wall, still.

Going to hack out more 1x4 with 703 for the side wall before the week end is over.

Have not had chance to assess much, yet. I took a few pics this time. Get some up soon.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 04/15/22 at 19:30:38

Just listening today. Moving some things within the space, maybe.

After a mid morning and early afternoon packed with errands to do, it is now my time.

I plan to sit and chill the rest of the day, playing music. Still have my Yamaha monitors going with my SE84Cs. Kind of feel bad about leaving these little gems in storage for so long.

Most of the unused gear is now out of my way and I can just listen to what I have today. All of the subwoofers are out of here, for now. Not even missed any of them so far. These monitors just Rip It, man!

Kept the McIntosh ready, Kind of as a reference for me (an amplifier I have used since the '80s) but not changing anything else.
Well, maybe adding another set of absorption panels this weekend.

I need to know more exactly where I am next, so not much is going to change for now.

I have my computer going in the corner of the room off my right shoulder so I can extract (I use EAC) the fifty something CDs I have acquired lately.
Other than feeding that machine between album shuffling, no distractions.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 04/26/22 at 18:09:02

Many distractions, since. But I've had some time to play.
I kind of wish I had taken "Before" pics so that my "After" might show a liitle more of the toil I have pushed through to improve my room.
But so far the results are better and better.

I have gone back and forth with the foam absorbers around the ceiling/wall junctions. I know, tech says that that's where troubling bass lives and breeds, but the upper end scatters terribly from those same corners. I think it has to do with my low eight foot ceilings.
Seems to help with the foam, but it is easy to over do.
After spending several days going back to and away from these panels, I think I am going to use them after all, but spaced a bit apart, like I have them placed now, to allow for a degree of reflection at the upper end. Still working on that.

My curved front corner panels I put together using the 705 materials are installed floor to ceiling finally.

SO, I have four 705, curved front mid bass absorbers in the front corners, two 703 mid absorbers between the speakers on the front wall.
Twelve cheap foam textured, eggcrate looking HF absorbers dotted up top.
All of my 703, 4" deep panels, eight total, are spaced two inches off the wall using wine corks as spacers and attachment points. I bought a box of 200 new wine corks from Amazon for a few bucks.
Six of the 703 kludged absorbers are placed along the blank side wall with some space left for some diffusion panels as time unfolds.

I am still moving some of the panels around but it sounds so much better, even at this early stage.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 05/07/22 at 17:11:51

I haven't ever been dissatisfied with my old Dual turntables, but cabling has kind of been a focus lately.
Cabling from my TT were hard soldered to the inner workings. Irritating!

I had an old "sound partner" offer me some nice cabling they were done with at his work.
Honestly, I have done him favors over the years (We were in business together and it was just business) and it seems that he thinks he may still owe some payback favors.
He doesn't!  

He called me up and (offered me concert tickets, but I'll talk that part later) asked if I was interested in some nice interconnects that were destined for the trash. He had already grabbed his hands full. He was UPS'ing them to me at no charge if I was interested.
I just said sure, what do you have?  kind of response.

He works at audio research institute (they sell amps, not cables) and everything is new now, so old is out, new is in. Old is junk and he thought of me.
Seriously, wow.

Last week he sent me a box of ICs mostly RCA, but some XLR and some speaker stuff. He just said take it, it's going in the recycle, otherwise.
OK, so it seems I have another box of stuff to go through. Seemed like real fun and only barely the burden, yet another box to go through.
Still a few frowny looks my my treasured wife.  ;D

After sorting the box a bit I had a set of cables that looked way better than anything I have. Most of my ICs are Belden mic cabling, made up the way I need them.

I have taken apart my Dual and added Parts Express best external chassis mount RCAs and external power cable connections so I can now interchange interconnects and power cables to my old turntable.

Having a new pile of stuff to play with can make you do things you already wanted to do, it seems. This was something I could do with my still gimpy injured, but healing arm and a solder station on a bench.

Anyway, I am determined to get my power cabling up to snuff. That is where I want to spend my dollars and sense and cents. But having a dumpster dive dropped at your doorstep with no diving is really cool.

So, I have now modified my favorite old TT to accept cables from the outside. First gasp of these outdated cables feels like I should have done this years ago. I went from the standard red and white that you usually throw away to some kind of pyramid building thing.

This is like getting a breath after holding it for too long. Only tried the one cable, so far. No power cables in the box. Still looking at the power cables as a next buy.

I owe him a big thank you. If for no reason other than his "gift"
worked like a spark plug in my ass and got me moving again.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 05/07/22 at 17:28:56

That is really a great box of discovery from your friend! You do owe him a big thanks and I'm sure you've already delivered it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 05/08/22 at 05:42:36

He likes Maduro cigars.
Our local tobaccanist (I'm a pipe smoker, when I indulge) has a ten box deal where you buy the fancy gift box and select ten of your choice to fill it at a tiny discount.

I'll have to make a stop soon and fill a ten box for him. Not being much of a cigar smoker myself, I'll need some guidance to make the best choices.

Another old fellow I know can help. I have put in a call to him for his advice. He is quite the cigar aficianado and can probably name off ten $20 or so Maduro cigars off the top of his hat.

That's about all I can do for a return of his kindness right now. My kindness comes from my remembering his preference for fine cigars. That plus a bottle of Irish and I think we'll be square.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 05/08/22 at 07:28:15

That sounds like a nice 'pay back.'

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 05/08/22 at 15:20:11

Easy, really.
We actually smoke the same types of tobaccos, just differing in the dellivery. I like well fermented and long aged in barrels, much like finer whiskeys, types of tobacco. I don't want any flavorings, though, just a higher quality, controlled process. The tobacco I order from Denmark is four years fermented, twelve years aged in oaken barrels and quite matured.

When they talk about one tobacco having a chocolatey, spicey or a nutty flavor, it is in the way they are grown, dried, fermented, aged and processed, without any yucky chemicals added like some of the "packaged" and flavored cigars and pipe tobaccos.

...  and I just described a high quality cigar, too. Maduro doesn't mean "hard" as one might think who knows a little Spanish. It just means "ripened."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 05/08/22 at 15:31:28

Cool. I certainly understand enjoying fine tobacco. Tobacco was my biggest vice actually. In less than two months I will have been tobacco free for 32 years. I can't touch anything with tobacco for fear that I will be so tempted. . . . I loved smoking of all forms and my will power was so bad. I'm so fortunate that I have as of yet not had serious health issues from my years of heavy smoking. Buying cds with the money I would have spent on tobacco really saved me, and now I'm addicted to cds.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 05/08/22 at 16:21:22

That's great, but I know how "easy" it can be give it up. I've done it a hundred times.
Grin

Actually, congrats, Lon! 32 years is a really big number.

I started early, using cigarettes. Both parents and well, evrybody else, smoked when I was young. Smart people quit. I didn't for a while.
I took up the habit.  BUT, I've been cigarette free since the night Clinton was elected President. I can't say why that was The Day, but I do remember making the decision that night.

Cigarettes can give you and instant "bell ring" kind of affect, but they can not do what a well matured pipe with quality tobacco can do.
You want to take the top of your head off for a bit? Smoke a cigarette OR sit down for an hour with a large Perterson and get down to the lower third of the bowl and you'll be even happier.

Cigarettes are instantaneous, while pipe smoking is very deliberate, quite fiddly and not so easily portable.

These days I smoke a part of a bowl over day for a while, keeping two or three of my favorites in rotation, then a few days where I never put it down. Then I put it all aside for a week or two, knowing full well I will be back soon.

I have over a hundred pipes, probably about seventy or so are Petersons. I don't count them. I tend to collect superior hand craftsmanship. It attracts me every time I see it.

I haven't bought one in a long time. Kind of a tight budget here, supporting two mortgages while the city took our old home and we were "displaced."  We managed to turn the whole nightmare into a positive, though. Nicer home, now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #67 - 05/08/22 at 16:27:44

Glad you were able to get a nicer home. Yes, I know well the pleasures of smoking a pipe. It was one of my "I'm going to quit and smoke a pipe instead" tactics employed several times. I really do dig them. I had a great uncle who collected pipes from around the world and really enjoyed them. . . in fact it might be said I started early with his pipes as the attached photo shows. . . .;)

14107778_113358349114879_3254094898962142550_o.jpg

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 05/08/22 at 16:45:01

HaHaHa Great pic.

That looks so much like a little Peterson Shannon I have.
Great pipe, smallish.

The Shannons always had the best grain structure of any of them, until you get into the $500 to $1000 pipes.
I don't have any of those. I do own several Shannons, though.

After a closer look at the pipe, it is a Peterson. I can see the logo.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 05/08/22 at 21:47:14

I quit smoking in 1999 for the tenth or so time. Before that spells as long as 3 years of quiting. The only way it stuck in '99 was using the money spent on cigarettes to invest in audio equipment and CDs. Still smoke free today without any thought of picking ones of those nasty things up again.

My dad smoked pipe. I never did.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 05/08/22 at 22:49:10

Congrats John. That's what worked for me too, spending money on music I would have on smoke.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 05/08/22 at 23:44:39

Way to go, John. Twenty something years is a big number, too.

I'm not sure if I will ever give up my pipe. I do smoke less and less as time goes on.
I always check the box at the doctor's office, trying to be most honest, but they want to know how many packs a day I use. I don't use that way anymore. It's kind of difficult to quantify.

Talking about the money, I see people buying cigs when I stop for coffee or gas and the price is nearly seven bucks for a pack they will blow through today. That's damn near half a CD right there.
I don't know how they do it.

I drop 65 bucks, including shipping, on a pound of tobacco that lasts me over six months.

I can tell you I will never light up a ciggie again, though. That's over and done. I don't even like to smell them burning outside the stores.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 05/09/22 at 01:59:27

In the late 60s my aunt use to give her son one dollar to pick up a loaf of bread, 1/2 gallon of milk, and a pack of lucky strikes at the local ma & pa. We were allowed to spend the change on penny candy. It was worth it to us to walk the couple of blocks for a good bit of candy. When I quit in '99 a carton of cigarettes cost about $21 with coupon deals. A pack was $2.95 × 30 cane to just about $100 a month to blow on audio stuff. I always up it as the price of cigarettes went up. Today a carton of cigarettes is around $75. $8 a pack x 30 is $240 x 12 = 3 grand a year. I like rounding up my totals Smiley

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 05/09/22 at 02:40:04

And it's mostly tax thanks to Big Government.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 05/09/22 at 04:25:59

JBzen wrote on 05/09/22 at 01:59:27:
In the late 60s my aunt use to give her son one dollar to pick up a loaf of bread, 1/2 gallon of milk, and a pack of lucky strikes at the local ma & pa. We were allowed to spend the change on penny candy. It was worth it to us to walk the couple of blocks for a good bit of candy. When I quit in '99 a carton of cigarettes cost about $21 with coupon deals. A pack was $2.95 × 30 cane to just about $100 a month to blow on audio stuff. I always up it as the price of cigarettes went up. Today a carton of cigarettes is around $75. $8 a pack x 30 is $240 x 12 = 3 grand a year. I like rounding up my totals Smiley

Quoted for absolute truth!

There's no such button or anything, but I am giving you a Hard Like!
Grin

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 05/09/22 at 04:57:38

Archie, suddenly we find ourselves one step past where the thin ice starts.

Big G?
How about if my 85 year old mom doesn't save about a fifth of her SS monthly stipend, she could lose her portion of a homestead in Texas that has been in the family since the 1870s?

There needs to be a line a little closer to reality for some of this.

That will never happen. Both her loving sons, her two remaining brothers and two remaining sisters are all successful and quite capable, but some others have no successful family to fall back on as taxes continually escalate.
My brother has other goals and is not interested in the land. I am planning to "buy him out" when Mom no longer needs the 47 acres of Texas prairieland that she still holds, her part of a much larger family plot, divided among her eight siblings long ago when Grandpa died.

There are folks who will not be able to keep up with ever rising taxes and will lose their land to Big G.

As long as things are setup the way they are, no one can ever actually own anything, except the drink you just finished or the cloud of smoke you just made.

The ice is even thinner, now, but I get your point.

I'm going to change the subject.

Who has a new puppy?

Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 05/09/22 at 06:08:41

Since so many posts went to smoking I figured it was fine to bring up non audio subjects on this thread.  BTW, Property Taxes are designed to eventually confiscate land and property from citizens.  PT taxes on unrealized gain.  In other words, on your future.  In your Mother's case, they are working exactly as designed.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 05/09/22 at 07:20:27

Right? And it is fine to move a thread along!  
Your concept of Big G follows with what I meant by referencing "the drink you just had," is all you can ever own, but in a "poetical" way, just because I am that kind of an ass.

The BIG G thing is a constant encroachmnet upon what we all feel and need.

This thread kind of evolved and I am fine with that. I'm pretty sure that a pebble I threw started the ripples.

I started this thread to do a sort of announcement that things had changed for me and for the better.
Everything was so  "The Same'  for me for so long, but my situations had changed and are still changing.
I don't have delusions that threads can continue as originally imagined.
That is a good thing, in my book!

I get it!
Yeah we've gone way past where I started. Your contribution is as valid as my announcement or maybe more so. Getting people talking is how any system of forums should work.

I think that is the way people live and evolving is a reality. I thank you for your contribution and to others as well.

Not really sure how any of this helps the Decware Brand, but getting to know each other as we go can be seen as a side benefit, I hope.

BUT, since we aren't talking about politics or anything, tell us more about your puppy.
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 05/09/22 at 07:46:06

Archie, I just don't want to have us shut down for going too far into the weeds with our "off topic" non audio related discussions.

I'm trying to be aware of the thin ice as we trudge.
Smiley

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 05/09/22 at 13:44:53

Quote:
Since so many posts went to smoking I figured it was fine to bring up non audio subjects on this thread.

THIS FORUM IS A POLITICAL FREE ZONE

THIS FORUM IS A SMOKE FREE ZONE

♩     ♪    ♩        ♩        ♪   ♩     ♩      ♪    ♪ ♩  
                         One of these signs, is not like the other

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 05/09/22 at 14:33:58

My puppies birthday was yesterday. She is three years old. Picked her up on the way home from the north woods . Boy gas prices sure were cheaper back them compared to today.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #81 - 05/09/22 at 14:36:55

She's very pretty.

My "puppy" is of an indeterminate age. She was rescued six years ago and they estimated she was 4. I think she was more 6 to 8 years of age. She's a chubby miniature red dachshund who is my daytime boss and my night-time chaperone and my primary listening partner. I've become quite well-trained.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 05/09/22 at 16:24:49

Quote:
THIS FORUM IS A POLITICAL FREE ZONE

THIS FORUM IS A SMOKE FREE ZONE

I assume Rock N Roll is fine but what about Sex and Drugs?  Forum Police, what do you say?

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 05/09/22 at 16:28:40

For some reason that song came into my head and I just had to share it. I thought some might appreciate the musical notes so they could sing along with it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #84 - 05/09/22 at 16:38:09

So far our host has asked us not to talk politics here. Property taxes as a tool of government is politics.

Sex and drugs. . . well I'm far from a policeman but as a general denizen of the forum I'd advise caution just in general. Wink

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 05/09/22 at 18:16:54

Edsonic wrote on 05/09/22 at 16:28:40:
For some reason that song came into my head and I just had to share it. I thought some might appreciate the musical notes so they could sing along with it.

I can appreciate your effort, but you really don't want to be anywhere near if I am moved to express in song for any reason.
Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 05/09/22 at 18:33:58

Gorgeous dog,  Jec3504.
Now we're talking about real life!

I want another dog, soon. Our current dog is a collie, dachshund mix and he is getting old. He's beautiful! I'll get a currrent pic.  
Kind of like Lon mentioned, rescued from a shelter and they vastly under estimated his age.
I'm afraid losing him is imminent and I want a transition friend to help my daughter through this.

I think they hold back on the age of animals to help move them along and out of the shelter, but then, I've outgrown my tin hat, too.

Looking for girl dog this time, but if the right match comes, I'll be all in. Mostly pitbull crosses available in the recent past.
Nothing against pits, I love them too, but we just need to hold out for a smaller breed.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 05/09/22 at 18:52:38

Quote:
you really don't want to be anywhere near if I am moved to express in song

Thanks to my youngest brother, I caught earliest days of Sesame Street. Made the Muppets and Jim Henson famous.

They let Cookie Monster sing, so I'm sure you'd do just fine for that song.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 05/09/22 at 18:56:35

Hey, Lon,

I UPS'ed my buddy his "ten box" this morning. He is coming to a concert here, soon, bringing me a ticket as well. (you don't wanna know - it's metal, but the opening act is The Hu! That's who I want to see.)
I'll greet him with a bottle of Irish upon his arrival.

He'll be disappointed that I won't partake with him. We used to! I just don't do that anymore, since 2011.
Daily BP medication has changed a lot of things, alcohol use being one of them.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 05/09/22 at 19:07:03

Edsonic, we'll go with the Sesame Street version for now.

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #90 - 05/09/22 at 19:25:26

Same Old DD wrote on 05/09/22 at 18:56:35:
Hey, Lon,

I UPS'ed my buddy his "ten box" this morning. He is coming to a concert here, soon, bringing me a ticket as well. (you don't wanna know - it's metal, but the opening act is The Hu! That's who I want to see.)
I'll greet him with a bottle of Irish upon his arrival.

He'll be disappointed that I won't partake with him. We used to! I just don't do that anymore, since 2011.
Daily BP medication has changed a lot of things, alcohol use being one of them.

That's great--you'll have fun! I don't partake either, not for medicinal reasons but because my first wife's father and brothers were raging alcoholics and she liked that I didn't drink, and I didn't drink because coworkers and friends had royally f'd up their lives with drink and seeing that firsthand was chilling. Also I was a motorcyclist only for over two decades and it made sense to be sober.

I'm sure that will be a fun show to see with your old partner!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 05/09/22 at 20:12:56

No one has to waste time looking for any more reasons to not drink alcohol.
Reason enough is everywhere around us. Sitting at home, enjoying yourself, whatever you want is fine.
FREEDOM!!!! (awkward paraphrase of a great movie line)
I use my freedom to not.

Mine was even more simple reasoning. Not changing, just going deeper.
I looked all around me one day and I did not want to feel this way anymore.
The fact that it interfered with my BP meds was actually secondary and not well understood at first. But the original instinct was stronger and has held.

Good call, not getting on your scoot with three sheets or any at all.

Do you know of The Hu?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #92 - 05/09/22 at 20:48:46

No I didn't, just looked them up.

I don't follow much new music outside of the jazz or Brazilian scene as I just don't have an ear or liking for most of the sounds, and hadn't encountered them.

One good thing about not drinking alcohol: more money for music and equipment among other things.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 05/11/22 at 15:42:33

Never really spent much, compared to most. I am very sensitive to alcohol, so I am or was a cheap drunk, back when that used to happen.
Hold his? Not me, but I always hated being out of control. OCD? Don't know.

NOW,
I am looking forward to the return of some muscle in my still hardly usable busted ass arm.
I'm using my arm, but I can not control how it moves very well yet. More Physical Therapy yet to go. I really set myself back with this.

Just getting a few acoustic panels rattled together, up and going has felt like a large victory!
I need to cut wood and build shelving, though. I have work to do!
I'll get there. I am going to remain positive looking toward the eventual outcome, here.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 05/22/22 at 13:50:15

I am sawing some plywood today. I got my table saw uncluttered, finally.

My UGLY busted ass wing is much better, not strong yet, but usable. It's only going to get better by using it! Three and a half months, GodDamnIt!

My idea for my next project is to take advantage of my "immovable object" tile on concrete slab floor in this new space. I plan to lower my open baffle dual 15'' plus 8" speaker system a bit by angling one of the 15" toward the floor mostly.

I still want to have some backward lean to the system, so the seven degrees difference I had before works for physically aligning the 8" with the 15" and I want to keep that.

My first pretend test, using drywall (as has been suggested for preliminary concept analysis), even double thick, the speakers danced around some if I put on Steely Dan or early Doobies.
So, additional mass will be needed to address this expected issue.
It sounded pretty good, though and the level of the 8" driver matched the level of my new chair, almost perfectly.

I'm still working to figure the botom angle of the baffle, which will resemble an "L" with one 15" on each leg of the "L" keeping the backward lean I want at seven degrees on the front.

Right now, I am still listening to bookshelf speakers, but I want to go back to the bigger boys some day soon.

I guess I lied when I said I was going to work on power cabling next, but I wanted a new chair. As some may have found, the ass can out maneuver the brain's will in some cases.  
Then the idea to realign the speakers just seemed to be next/first. As they are, they stand too tall. Lowering is it.

At least until I can get me some Liis. I am really leaning that direction, but I am working to improve what I have for now.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 05/24/22 at 22:16:11

I'll have to get my Squangle out to measure a little closer, in order to duplicate, but I have found a really good "L" shape that shows promise.

Slight elevation is needed to promote airflow all around and since these drivers only go up to about 300Hz, I doubt a centimeter or so of misalignment, which may be unavoidable, between the pair will make enough difference to make a difference.
Over a meter wavelength at the frequency where the bass drivers roll off. Less than ten percent should work itself out anyway once the waveforms at low frequencies begin to propagate.

It's working well on my (x)th try here. I am judging from concrete driveway placement in open air. Super nice, calm day here!
Nearest reflective surface is 28 meters away (I measuered), except for directly behind (my daughter's bay window) which is 11 meters away.

Suffering the occassional car that drives by every thirty minutes or so.
Pretty sure the neighbors do not even know I am running LF sweeps and such. Probably wondering why I have a "light stand" sitting there and a laptop on my BBQ table though.

Neighbors who I have met will likely assume that my wooly beard explains everything. Not like it used to be for me! This is great being able to measure things in somewhat open air, again!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 06/14/22 at 13:42:27

I now have an "L" shaped baffle, made from 1.5" particle board I had laying around as a test bed. That puts the 8s at ear level in my listening chair.

I am working with a 17 degree angle between the tile floor and the bottom facing driver and preserved my 11 degree back slant to help alignment with the eight inch Visatons. Makes for a 96 degree angle on the "L" baffle.
Since my two woofer magnets almost touch, I found a big rubber donut that I have compressed between the magnets of the woofers, making them almost like one source of low bass. It's just a motor mount component made of hard rubber and the difference it makes from "connecting" the two woofers is quite noticeable.

I am aslo listening to the Jamo IB designed drivers and, honestly, they sound pretty damn good.
My home made JBL OB constructs have an Fs at 22Hz and the Jamo have an Fs of 16Hz, so they measure quite differently. It takes two rubber donuts to connect the Jamos, due to a smaller magnet structure, but the higher Qts is definitely a boost down low.

So, I'm now using my OBs again across mono'ed SE84s, three 8 Ohm drivers in parallel on each side, no XO, but the Jamos seem to go up into the 1KHz range which creates some combing between the 8s and the 15s. Only really notice when I lean around some, but it's there.
Considering some inductance, but that will alter things quite a bit.
Right now it sounds pretty good.

I did not have that with my hacked JBLs, since they peter out around 300Hz, about where the Visatons come alive. Probably going to switch back to the JBLs soon.
It's kind of hard to beat those motor structures and flat wound coils. Yep, flat wound, even the copper ones from McKenzie, fourteen years ago when I built them out as OBs.

The Jamos measure 90dB at 100Hz/1W, where my home made JBLs measure 94dB at 100Hz/1W.

Obviously, if this angled baffle thing works out after living with it for a while, I'm going to want to re-create them using some nice hardwood baffles at some point.
Oak seems to be the cheapest, locally.
I would prefer maple, but the price of slabs is double that of oak.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 06/15/22 at 15:23:55

While I was waiting for glue to dry and such, I have built a Mono Stack in one corner of my garage/shop.

Anyway, I have been wanting to do this for ages and I have finally done so. Stuff was scattered, but now all in one place.
I had noticed this effect way, way back when I was doing this for a living and always thought, how much fun would it be to energize a space heavily with a lot of cones and have it all just barely on  ...

I built a floor to ceiling mono stack of old pro gear in the corner of my garage. Not much power on it and it's only bi-amped for now, but the SIZE of the FACE of sound coming out of this set up is amazing.

I'm sitting at my bench diagonally across, about 50 feet away (it's a generous two car garage with six to ten feet of shop space all around) and the sound from my mono stack is much larger than the garage space.

My garage ceiling is ten feet high, but the sound is twenty feet high and maybe forty feet wide, Coming out of a mono stack!!

Not much to it, really ... A bunch of old sound gear piled in the corner as usual, but hooked up this time. No EQ so making up more cables to wire it quad-amp will help me voice the stack. Everything is running flat out, but the JBLs are basically flat anyway, and making a wall of sound.

That's not everything, but it makes a floor to ceiling mono stack like I've been wanting to do for literally twenty years. I made a couple of piles on my back deck a couple of years ago, but that was set up as stereo. I'm using a "retired Bluray player" as a source for now running CDs, feeding directly into the crossover.

I have it set at a whisper and I knew this would be very cool. Just had never had the time or space to set things up this way.

I know I won't leave it this way. I will probably bring another VFX Crown and quad-amp it, eventually. Maybe add an EQ, if I want. Don't know, it's so quiet. I have to stand on the 18 cabs and put my ear up to the horns to find any hiss and since it all runs on one outlet, there's no hum even with my ear touching the 15s.

You look over your shoulder expecting to see a ten foot wide John and a ten foot wide Paul singing, a twenty foot tall Ringo kit. It's MONO! So far, I like it!

Beatles for now. I am going with the Miles Davis Fillmore "electrics" next.

After thinking a minute, I won't have to add anything to turn this set up into a quad-amped mono stack. The VFX is a stereo two way crossover and both amps are stereo.
I just need to make up some cables and I'll have a quad-amped Mono Stack.

I took a few minutes and cranked it some, just to satisfy curiousity, and the P2200 never even hit the 5W marker and it was "run you out" loud and very rich and heavy.
As always, some power structuring will be necessary before I do that again.
This is a quiet neighborhood, though. When I have things set like I want, the needles do not yet move. Talking milliwatts, here.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 06/18/22 at 06:56:01

I've had this stack going all day long.
The landscaping guy came by, finally.
The water guy, inspecting water crap I did not even know I had, but CITY required.
The other water guy, trying to figure out why our outdoor spigots don't work.
Then the carpet guys, again.
Busy day!

I am using the Crown crossover, trans coupled, so there are no weird phasing issues with a "Y" thing happening when playing mono from a stereo source.
I'm enjoying some other rock stuff like Hendrix, Stones, Pink Floyd, Zep, then just classical for a few hours.
I did not know how big a simple mono recorded classical album coud be until I felt it.
It has been going all day.

Getting late, though.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 06/24/22 at 19:23:44

Sunday, cruising some "SALES,"  I saw an old tuner for free and just barely looked, simply grabbed it.

After asking, the kid watching the yardsale said they were plugging everything in last night to make sure it all works, but this just popped and smoked. So they are giving it away, "like maybe someone can use the knobs or something." he said.

After opening it up, it only popped a power supply cap (I hope) when he plugged it in, made a mess inside. I'm going to fix it.

Anyway, turns out after a look, this is not an old tube type tuner, like I thought at first, but a '70s era Fisher 401, 90 W/C receiver needing some TLC. The wood and front is perfect! It's seen some love over its life.

It looks like about $55 bucks will cover getting all the iffy caps replaced with "my" soldering iron.

I want to focus on rebuilbing my OB speaker set up, getting rid of the particle board mock up I have now.
They are working well with the bottom facing floor slam, BTW. The idea was gleened from Steve's Housewrecker paper, incidentally, and he's right again.

But, I find myself working on a "radio" for the second time in a month.
Bench work, though.

Still building strength in my wiggly-ass, busted-ass, ugly-ass, dudn't-wanna-muve-right-weak-ass wang.
Doing better all the time, but not quite dependable yet after four flipping months!
Most men can one hand a huge iron skillet with their off hand. I can't, yet.

So, I have another bench project. I have it completely apart right now. Yellow powder on everything. Every inch needs cleaning.
Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print