Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 23:49:17 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Returning Fan of Decware Products (Read 44254 times)
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: Returning Fan of Decware Products
Reply #250 - 11/19/22 at 21:39:17

Yeah, Lon, I would stop at don't do anything, if it was about the pain. But I can't stop fidgeting, from somewhere else deeper inside.

I tend to have sinus issues (as these later years impend upon me) this time of year with the rapid weather changes. I sneeze twenty or more times in ten minutes sometimes.
I don't care usually, just feel better to sneeze a few times than have a cold for a couple of weeks.
But a couple of broken ribs makes it all just that much more fun, however.
Smiley

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #251 - 11/19/22 at 21:53:50

I'm trying to make light of it all, fellas.
It seems I just used up some of my Lucky Lady cards this year already.
It's hard to find much to complain about, honestly. Strides!

This will all fall into place as a past memory at some point. I'll get there!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #252 - 11/23/22 at 18:50:52

I find that the same forgiving movements that can change a CD can also swing a paint brush.
I painted my "H" frames white to go with the white mock up baffles I have inside.

I had sort of halfway suggested to my treasured wife that I would make any bare wood trials and tests I was playing with to be a very short term thing inside the house.
Well, that quickly evolved into COMPLETED LAW and uhm, I'm waiting for some paint to cure before I attempt to wrestle my new subwoofer system to the inside digs.

I did bring in a couple of '90s era Infinity 12" powered subwoofers to goof with, but they are black. Plus, the lowest crossover point is 40Hz at 24db/octave. Intended to go with that timescale of home theater systems, mostly. There were a lot of little sat systems that struggled to reach down to 100Hz in those days.

I feel that they can not disappear enough, since there is still some output that reaches beyond the low range of the F15s. This overlap tells me that the F15s are putting out a substantial amount of lows in the 60hz region now.
So, back to the attic with the Infinitys. Although, I might leave them in the garage, since they are some really nice sounding sealed woofers.

They do offer a passive input where I can supply an outboard amplifier and crossover system like my Alesis, Yamaha, DBX or Crown eXOs which all go down to 20Hz.
If I'm doing all that again though, I'll choose something else, not boxed.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #253 - 01/08/23 at 04:45:37

I have had a few struggles lately, but I now have one of my "H" frame dual 15" enclosures inside where I can play with it some.
My intention is to add a little much needed lower octave content to my beloved F15 drivers.

Obviously, two sources of low frequency propagation for a stereo system is more desirable, but I have one in my room now ready to play with.

I have the subwoofer system crossed over at 34Hz/24Db/octave to match best with the Lii Audio F15 drivers I am using as full rangers, which fall off rather rapidly at about 55Hz.
I actually have decided upon placing the subwoofer almost dead center behind the mains, facing sideways (drivers facing the side walls at an angle), but angled a bit toward the window wall. Mains are about four feet from the front wall and about two feet from each side wall.

After almost three weeks messing with it all, I find I am blowing the room out with substantial bass, supplementing the F15 drivers, with about 1/10W+ showing on the McIntosh meters. No way to tell what my Zens are doing, but I am judging for around 75dB listening levels (which is a bit louder than normal late night Magic Hour levels for me.)

I never hear the subwoof! I only feel it sometimes and I can not find it sonically, as I play music, which was my goal. It is slightly off center (inches, measurably) and angled toward one wall by a few degrees, maybe 14 degrees just playing with my Squangle, angle finder thingy.
The dipole effect seems to have done its job for my tiny room.

I have a second one out there still needing some paint, but from what I am hearing, I am not yet convinced that I NEED a second one.
Still, we all knwo I'll try that in coming weeks.

But for right now, these F15 drivers, shy on bass, backed up by some old JBL OB subs are working great for me.

Just one of them working.  I never imagined I could find a placement where only one dipole subwoofer system would fill the room with deep bone sensation bass, but I was wrong.

I was feeling good about how the depth and height of soundstage was working with the full rangers by themselves, (phenominal speakers BTW. My B200s are already up top in the attic along with twelve other attempts for full rangers) but now after about four days of close listening to this new layout, I have the deepest, most expansive soundstage and almost unbelievably precise instrument placement I have ever had in this room.

I will try to say more after a bit more listening, but for now I am just going to listen more.
As great as these F15s are, they need a bit of low end gumption to finish them out.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #254 - 01/08/23 at 13:06:24

I believe these Lii F15 can deliver more bass than what we think. When I bought them and tried the OB, I knew it won't be easy to get a load of bass in my room.
OK, the drivers had not a long enough running time, but I decided to go for the Karlsonator, in fact that was in my mind when I bought them, but if I could have avoided the complexity of the built, the better, alas !
Now, I can "feel" the bass, this shows me these F15 can go really down to the cave with speakers prone to it.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #255 - 01/08/23 at 17:42:11

Thanks, Troopy. I remember seeing your posting on building up a Karlsonator last spring some time, but I have yet to try this type of enclosure for myself.

I have read the speculation in the old data sheets from the '50s Karlson used to attain his patents which suggests that the efficiency of a speaker driver in a flat panel open baffle is in the 2% range or even lower depending upon the size of the panel.
According to that article, even using an open back enclosre instead of a flat panel increases the effeciency of the moving mass to air transfer closer to 10%.
Not sure where I fall on the grounds of that argument. He got his patents.

I am very curious about the modified Karlsonator version, though.
I know the original Karlson was intended and designed to perform a "moving mass to open air" coupling transformer function.

I have never owned one, but I do remember seeing an old sound reinforcement system made for bands which used stacks of EV 15" drivers loaded in Karlson enclosures with seperate high horns above them.
They sounded OK and I've never been much of a fan of Electro Voice gear.

Do you feel that you have increased the air coupling efficiency in the lower bass range between the driver and the room by using the Karlsonator modification?

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #256 - 01/08/23 at 19:03:26

@same old DD
Difficult to answer to your question. What I know is the OB system wasn't enough in the bass region, in my room , and the Karlson works well. As I made a previous small bookshelf size Karlson with success, I would say I tried my luck with a huge size one with a 15' driver. Karlson made them for a single driver, be it LB or coax. If you don't DIY, you have barely any chance to listen to one Karlson and that the main reason nobody is looking at it.
But I don't want to spoil the thread with that, from my personnal experience, I believe these Lii F15 are not used to their full potential. I hope some adventurous minds would push them further !

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #257 - 01/08/23 at 21:06:34

We all know that most drivers can benefit in the lower frequencies from a proper enclosure.
One parameter which makes closing these drivers in a bit problematic, these drivers sport a Qts in the 0.7 range, which makes conventional enclosers difficult, if not incredibly large just to start.

That is one of the main reasons I have been intrigued by the Karlsonator modification. It is not a conventional enclosure by any stretch.

There seem to be a lot of folks dumping their F15s after just a few hours with hardly any break in period. I might have, too, but I kept the faith and worked through breaking mine in well before I gave up on them.

I'll probably grab a second pair at a slight discount and begin some work on a beefed up Karlsonator style enclosure just for the educational value the project would offer.

BTW, you can not "SPOIL" this thread. We have already been all over the place, from different speaker systems and amplifiers to alcohol to smoking to dogs to cable upgrades to anxiety with another member all the way to very sick family members being hospitalized and recovering.

I started this thread as  a "Hey, howdy, yall! I've been gone a while. Is there anybody still here that I know?"  type of thing.
I have just continued to post here for all my related and unrelated odd ball notions, questions and any possible progress I have attempted in any possible direction.

Please, feel free to post more comments about your experiences with the Karlsonator right where we are.
I would love to see some dimensions you came up with. But don't worry if you haven't kept any. Scaling is one of my super powers and DIY is certainly a thing I will always pursue.

Smiley

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #258 - 01/09/23 at 05:30:56

DD, I've been following this thread with interest, as I have a couple of pairs of F-15s still in boxes. Takes me a while to do anything anymore, especially when I'm remodelling my house. I have one pair of the F-15 for sale, still brand new in the box. Let me know if you are interested.
Also, the Karlson enclosure interests me, so I found this:
https://www.scribd.com/document/335288880/1955-Karlson-Speaker-Brochure
Some of the illustrations look a little goofy, but it's almost 70 years old, so that's probably not surprising. I'm linking it because it looks like it has measurements and other useful information. Hope it helps (and I apologize if it has been linked here already, and I missed it).
Randy

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #259 - 01/09/23 at 09:54:17

I am pleased to see some of you get interested in the Ks because to me this is part of the Hifi history and this type of speakers is falling into oblivion.
Yet, it should have been studied more, but patents story killed it !
I was a member of a dedicated forum which has diappeared since the death of the man who was looking after it. I downloaded on the site what I could, it is a compressed file of nearly 1000 Mo. Then I have my own files on the subject. I am trying to see if my old ftp site is still operational so I could provide a link with the material for those interested.
But today, some of the participant of that old site, are still dicussing the Ks on a DIY forum :
http://diyaudioprojects.com/search.htm?cx=partner-pub-0863621997902329%3A9l0oyji...

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #260 - 01/09/23 at 12:40:06

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #261 - 01/10/23 at 18:08:38

Lots of interesting links to explore there, Troopy. Thanks.

I know we are looking at the original Karlson, scaled, in some cases and the modified Karsonator in some cases also scaled to various sizes.
To me the Karlsonator modification looks more like a kind of Tapped Horn design than a true Karlson Aperiodic loading.

Still very intriguing for a bass unit, but I am losing interest as a full range speaker enclosure.

One thing I see in common with most of them who publish performance graphs is that they all seem to have a peak just over 100Hz and a severe dip out to the 250Hz range.
Used as a bass range enclosure I would cross over the unit an octave below that peak anyway, but it's still there.

That area in my open baffle set up is as smooth as a baby's cheek and I do not want to loose that smoothness or the upper range smoothness which is basically flat up to the 5K range before even seeing a slight wiggle.

I don't see much discussion of this mid bass peak/dip situation.
Any thoughts?

Hey, Bottlehead, I'm looking at spring time before I can finish up my current project and begin another. Don't wait for me out of courtesy, but thanks for the offer.

It's a little too cold to paint and finish things. Last coat of glossy enamel took two weeks to cure before I could even scuff it for the next coat. And that is in my partially heated garage/shop.

I say partially, because, even though my garage/shop is well sealed and insulated, there is no connection to the main house furnace system.

I have two oil filled standing electric heaters which bring the temp up enough, even while outside stays below freezing for so long, to be fine doing saw work, sanding, planning and layouts or hobby things my daughter has become interested in doing, like woodburning and pot gardening.
But finishing is on hold here in Indiana for the season.
Smiley

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #262 - 01/10/23 at 22:53:38

DD, I'm with you on using the Karlson enclosure for bass only. That's my primary interest, as I have a brand new pair of Hawthorne Audio Augies that I've had forever. I have another pair in an open baffle, so I'd like to see what kind of difference I would get in an enclosure. I have to admit, though, that it's a little ways down on my DIY list, but I'm interested.

As for the F15s, check back with me when you're ready. At the rate that things are going, I may still have them. I'm going to put them on US Audio Mart next, so we'll see what happens there.

Randy

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #263 - 01/13/23 at 03:08:38

Several weeks ago a friend gave me an Acoustic Audio PSW 10 sub. It is a loose floppy fish of a sub, retails for about $100, but it goes down to 25hz.  Nothing compared to my old RELs, which I don’t especially regret selling. I play with this new sub with the F15s off and on. With the crossover set as low as it goes it can be nice. It just fills the bottom where the Lii’s drop off. I don’t often feel like I’m missing anything with the F15s but for some music the sub does add some nice heft.
I’ve noticed the sub makes the 5670 tube sound lovely, which I feel is a weak and puny sounding tube with just the F15s alone. I actually get why people like it when the bottom has some help.

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #264 - 01/14/23 at 20:57:33

Scratch that last post, the PSW10 is junk. I did some critical listening with it last night for the first time since the holidays and I gave it back. I’m sticking with the f15s being a sublime open baffle alone.
DD, I’m curious to hear how you W sun blends with them. I think there is some opportunity to improve the low end but it certainly isn’t bad as-is and perfect for “most” music.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #265 - 01/14/23 at 22:11:07

Recent video right on the subject :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb0Zhv61p10

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #266 - 01/14/23 at 23:08:39

I agree, Bottlehead. The only reason I would want a Karlsonator is for deep lows, but from what I see others posting, the Karlsonator enclosures don't do the sub bass range very well, in my view.

So far I still like my "H" frames with the old JBLs in them. I managed to build the JBLs up with an Fs of 22Hz (oringinal 2235 replacement parts are all gone), but the Qts as nearly as I can figure is in the 0.55 area, so not the ideal 0.707 either.
Getting closer to a nice match with my F15s, though, but I feel I have compromised the "speed" of these old drivers by adding (coating, like in the old days) mass to attain a lower Fs.

If I had about $800 bucks sitting idly, I might just recone them again with more modern components and see if I can get the Qts even higher with lighter materials and not worry about Fs too much.

The accuracy is awesome, however. So detailed, except for some hang over at certain frequencies which can still bug me at times. Not often, but I do hear something at times. I don't really have a way to do a "waterfall" response test, but I can sometimes hear some lingering low frequencies that were not intended in a recording.
I hear similar things with almost every low frequency driver I have heard, though. Low frequency reproduction is the bane of existence for most of us.
Every time you think it works, you have to pick it apart and find every wart, so to speak.

I would love to get my hands on a Rhythmic servo amp at some point! I am still using an early Yamaha servo system for my computer sound and the bass is impressive from an 8" driver. I want that on a larger scale for all my listening.

On the other hand, I have a few more to play with. I asked once before if anyone had any exerience with '90s era (pre Klipsch) Jamo infinite baffle subwoofers and got no response.
I tried these out in my garage as I was between painting steps and found them to work really well. I will probably try these in my "H" frames next.
I know many folks think of Jamo as an absolute joke these days, after Klipsch destroyed all that the old company stood for. But, some of these old Danish and German drivers made some very pleasant sounds in those days.

I do remember Steve talking about using mismatched drivers when he was building up his Imperials. He had a Black Widow and I think an Eminence combination that he said worked well together. Kind of makes me want to just replace one of the drivers instead of both at the same time in my present set up.
So many options!

I also have some well broken in Dayton 15s to play with, but I have not even hooked them up since I got them from a friend who I had updated all his sub woof attic systems last year. I traded a carburator from my '70 Chevelle to get all eight of them.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #267 - 01/14/23 at 23:22:12

Hey, Manny, other than what I have going now, I have only tried an old set of Infinity Subwoofers, but found the lowest crossover point is still too high to mate well with the F15s.

They are decent drivers, and I might have been able to improve the matching with them had I tried harder, using my Crown/McIntosh rig. I just did not take the time because I had another idea waiting in the garage.

Right now I have tweaked my "H" frames a bit this week and I am using a crossover point of 30hz to couple with the Lii Audio F15s down low. I will try it even lower this coming week, but for now, with most music, the subs have completely disappeared.
With the dipole propagation pattern of these "H" frames, it is almost like having two subwoofers in the same room already. Angling the enclosure just slightly makes a world of difference to the propagation pattern.

Just a few degrees of modification to where the enclosure is positioned and the entire room changes. Kind of difficult to completely wrap my head around, but this is why we play so hard, right?

I do not have them "pointed" toward the listening area, but 90 degrees away from my chair, bouncing off the front and side walls.

This is actually the best combo I have heard so far.

Again, even though I have had them in the house for just over three weeks, about half or more of my listening sessions have been with them turned off, just using the F15s alone.

Kind of my way of not spoiling my ears from what I truly like.
As similar to what you mentioned, the F15s sound great on more than 90% of what I listen to.
I agree; the F15s are sublime and so satisfying just as they are.

Believe it or not, though, it is often classical music that makes me miss that lowest octave. Go Figure.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #268 - 01/15/23 at 04:13:50

Hi, Tooppy, I listened to that guys vid and I have had many of the same epiphanous moments he described.

It seems to me that everyone with a new subwoofer just wants it to shake the floor and they are happy. That is NOT what subwoofers are supposed to do for us.
To me, if I ever hear my subwoofer system then it is not set up properly. I have more work to do!

I have other more satisfying ways to shake the floor with amazingly good sound, so none of that sub-noise ever impresses me.
The funny thing is that, similar to how that guy descibes it, going from "NO DAMN SUB" to "Well, OK, maybe" was a long journey for me as well.

Using many large, old school studio monitors as my mains over the years, using any kind of sub system was never even an option that I would think about.

Now, with the fullness of time passing and as fully enriching as the sound of the Lii Audio F15s have proven to be to me, I am determined to supplement that lowest octave in a pleasing and invisible way.
I am on another journey.
Smiley

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #269 - 01/15/23 at 09:39:08

Hi DD,
i never had any sub in my system because the ones I have listen to were from the " boom boom" type.
i think Huff describes very well the subwoofer problem, very much sticking to your experience and I found that very interesting.....
I wont go into it for the many technical implications, I want a very simple system, for the money involved ( no golden wheels with a retirement pay), and for the WAF , you know I dare to want some peace to appreciate what I have. 👹👹😇😇

IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #270 - 01/15/23 at 15:58:45

For the same reason that an open baffle is a different experience than a box speaker it makes sense that a boxed sub won’t play well with an OB full range driver… so I’ll bet your H/dipole method is a giant leap towards integrating the two.
I had RELs with my Maggie’s and they were the best I’ve heard, but that only means the best “I’ve heard” which doesn’t mean much. Either way, the RELs didn’t agree with the F15s the way they did with the mags.
I agree, DD. Classical music is where the bottom registers are missing the most with me too.
@ Troopy- yes, one of the big reasons I have arrived at the system I have now is the simplicity. It just sounds so good for just a 2 watt amp and two speakers. I’m lucky my wife is supportive of whatever stereo mumbo jumbo I want to intrude into our living space but eliminating much of the rats nest of wiring, subs, magic boxes, etc. has been an integral part of a clean, simple system with an aural realistic sound stage.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #271 - 01/15/23 at 17:46:09

Yeah, there is so much room information recorded into great orchestral performances sometimes.
It is difficult to do without the bottom octave.

I want to correct an over statement I made earlier. When I was talking about not using a subwoofer, I was talking about my two channel systems.
Ever since the '90s I have used a powerful subwoofer system in my surround sound movie rig for the LFE channel.
In fact, in our last home I had a fortunately located closet and took advantage. I used four Eminence 15" infinite baffle drivers, biamped with two tens above as my LFE channel with about a thousand watts on it overall.

My movie rig has always been a seperate thing from my two channel stereo music gear.

In this new home, it is SO quiet here, I just feel no need for so much power on anything. I am using a small Klipsch system, not even set up for surround with only a single 10" B&W subwoofer driven by a Denon AV receiver.
I say no surround, but I do use the 5.1 set up. I have everything in front of me, though. The surrounds are set behind the Front R and L, but pointed straight up at the ceiling from behind the main AV cabinet.
So I still have some sense of expansion with the surround effects, but nothing is coming from behind.
I like this idea and it works in this space really well.
I'm probably not going to change this AV system any time soon.

But, all that is a different story for another time ...
Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #272 - 01/15/23 at 17:48:16

Manny, you are right in that most of us using open baffle speakers are never going to be satisfied with any boxed subwoofer system.

Tried it. Ain't doin' it!
Smiley

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #273 - 01/15/23 at 20:14:57

Manny - exactly, that's where I am also, two speakers, 2W amp, a DAC/preamp, a streamer and a turntable. I have ripped all my CD on a NAS. I need to part with two pairs of speakers and one amp, a Shiit Mani and a Shiit Sys, An Onkyo CD player/dac/streamer, then I 'll be done !

Today, I decided to place back the front wings on the Karlsonator. I took them off previously because my grand sons had itchy fingers so I could framed the front with jersey. I had to reduce the bass setting in the pre-amp to nearly zero. Such a great listening I had... but I have to built them with a better material, ideal would be glass.

Suddenly I realized that when I first made the OB, the Lii F15 had not enough breaking time, who knows, I may try again some day....with a stupid idea that I haven't seen anywhere, make a back panel identical to the front one (and parallel to it) except for the driver hole being adjusted smaller to the driver motor, then the back waves would spread between the two panels, let hear what's happen .... !
Steve should try that at his spare time  :D , it should be very easy for him to do !

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #274 - 01/23/23 at 03:14:50

I have altered my set up a little. I now have my roll off set to 12dB/octave instead of 24dB and I have lowered the crossover frequency a little, 28Hz, now.
I think that my effort to help the subwoofer system seem less intrusive, I rolled it off too fast at first. 12dB/octave seems a bit better.

This sounds so much more well mated and "disappearing" than when I was still messing around with steeper slopes and higher XO points.
The F15s don't really need a boost to anything they can do, just a small amount of extension below where they can reach on their own.

I am getting closer.
I intend to give this set up a few weeks without any change and many good long listens, with and without the subwoofer system.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #275 - 01/23/23 at 10:04:11

DD : May be the ZROCK would be a good option, just saying because I never used it.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #276 - 01/28/23 at 16:04:30

LOL
Honestly Tooppy, the ZROCK has been on my radar ever since I heard about its existence.

I have not changed my set up this week except for speaker placement.

I have moved things around quite a bit, but keep coming back to almost the same as my original instincts suggested.
I keep hearing how an equilateral triangle for speaker placement and listening position is best, but I have gone with more of an obtuse isosceles triangle, one angle greater than 90 degrtees.
So I sit a little closer than the horizontal spread of the drivers.

This seems to give me the best balance of everything, including mating the full range with the dipole subwoofer placement.
Not that I am running out of ideas, but ideas which improve things seem to be running out and I believe that something close to "About Right" has been approached quite closely for now.

Still looking at the ceiling and have yet to apply any treatments up there.
All that within the fullness of time to come.
Smiley

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #277 - 01/28/23 at 16:35:59

DD :  I am listening with an isocele triangle, the sitting angle being around 110

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #278 - 01/29/23 at 02:35:37

Yep, definitely obtuse. I think my angle is more like 105 degrees, but we seem to be very close.

I have not even tried to use my laser level in here, as one suggested, but I did cut some old nylon braided strings to play around with distances a little more surely.
That and a half roll of tape with notes everywhere, my space looks a little dodgy in the wife's eyes.

I can pull up "most" of the tape now, but I have not decided it was time to invest all that additional bending just yet.
... baby steps!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #279 - 02/02/23 at 14:08:37

Most of my taped floor is gone and cleaned up now.

I also (said I was not going to, but I did) moved my crossover point on my subwoofer system. I was going to play with placement only over the coming weeks, but after some deep listening to many bass heavy rock albums lately, like Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, I brought it down to 24Hz keeping the 12dB/octave roll off.
That's a little below "half" of where the F15s are rolling off. This works very well mating to the upper full rangers.
These drivers in my H frame enclosures Fs at 18Hz, so I still have a little play in the set up if I tend that way. But for right now, I am very pleased with what I have going here.
Still only the single dipole sub system, angled a bit.
I did move it to the other side of the room, about two feet from where I had enjoyed for a couple of weeks and angled the "other way" a few degrees.

Lots of new music to explore too, in coming weeks.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #280 - 02/13/23 at 03:17:37

I've been doing more listening than posting lately.  AS it should be, if I was writing the book.

I have been using some cryo'ed PsVayne 6P15P tubes for a good year and a half.
I had no reference with the same tube non-cryo'ed, so I never entered the discussion when it was live, except to attempt humor in a very serious discussion with my first experience using cryo'ed tools, my geologist pick  (Which I still have, BTW, but I need an outing!).

Last night one of my treasured tubes went supernova on me. It literally lit up the entire room while playing at 1AM and the sound on one side went goofy.

I don't have any spares of the cryo'ed 6P15Ps, but I do have a couple dozen original SV83s from several purchases, nothing actually matched.

SO I decided to go with four SV83s all around, until I can buy some more "nice" tubes.

I do not own a tester. After a half hour switching them in and out trying to  find a match the hard way, I think I became numb or something.

Then I quit fiddling with stuff and just sat down again to listen.
Expecting to hear disambiguities, misbegotten tones, everything wrong.

Turns out, I was wrong.
Once I got tired of jumping around changing tubes every few (long) minutes, trying for that last nugget that I was sure was now missing since one of my favorite tubes had gone south, I started to just listen again, but more deeply. And the deeper I went into the music the better 'everything" sounded.
I had shut off my dipole sub to re-evaluate what I was hearing using only the F15s.

Shortening this long escapade, I have begun to appreciate again the  simple voicing this amp was designed to use.

I can not draw a conclusion, yet, but this is sounding great although a bit different.

I need to do more listening.

Going from older '60s jazz to some psyche things from the '60s, like the Zombies and the Kinks, Early Jefferson Airplane, Thirteenth Floor, Steppenwolf and Pink Floyd.

After the game, I intend to put on some of my favorite Deutsche Grammophon LPs.

After a football game, I will have had my ears reset!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #281 - 02/20/23 at 04:24:38

I can't seem to find any bargains right now, but I did decide to give some JJ EL84 another try, but this time I popped for cryos from Tubeman in matched pairs. I've bought from this company for many years with no problems.
They don't offer matched quads, though. So I ordered six pair for now. I need two pair.
Grabbed some more rectifiers to work in as well. I'm pleased with what I have been using, but I've had rectifiers just fail on me several times over the years and I was down to just five on hand; only two were the same.
So I also bought several of various types.

I feel a bit of shopping at the Wathen Store to come, because, while these will get me out of a pinch, I am not sure these are the answer.

But, a whole new speaker system, new room, lots of "new" music since I last tried the JJs, maybe some of that old heraldry can come out for me.

I have a selection of rectifiers coming. I got the JJ EL84s today, so, I have some deep listening and a bit more burning to do.

Damn! Tubes have gone up, lately!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #282 - 03/02/23 at 19:54:08

Those JJs seem to filling the bill for now. They sound so much better with these F15s than I remember a few years ago trying them with the B200+quad 15s implementation of open baffle speakers which I had used for ages.
I remember hearing some bass flutter and sloppiness with that arrangement. Of course, the old ones I have were not matched well nor were they cryo' treated.

Not so with these AND, since I have been listening to a lot of music from the '40s and '50s lately, I have not even turned on my newish dipole subwoofer system in more than a week. No bass flutter at all! Smooth and precise the new tubes feel.

Yesterday, while I was changing LPs, I dropped one of my covers and it fell behind the sub cabinet.
I have its positioning marked and so I just scooted it out of the way intending to put it back later when I use it again. It's heavy so I twisted and manuvered it to where I could reach my escaping LP cover better.
Then sat down to listen.

LORDY AUDIO GODS looking in from Heaven, but moving a non-used speaker system about two feet and turning it changed the room in ways I would not have thought possible.

At first I thought I was just being a baby and nothing really changed. So I marked where I had haphazardly moved it to and replaced it to where I had its best position for use marked. Damn, I'm not imagining this phenomenon. I'm not just being a baby. It made a remarkable difference in room response depending upon where I place the subwoofer cabinet just sitting there idle, turned off and not used.

Now, without much thought time wasted, I understand how that can be, but I was unprepared for how dramatically the small movement of an unused component had changed the entire room. This is a small room and I also understand that smaller changes can make bigger differences in small spaces, but just WOW!

Now I am sitting here (possibly wasting thought time) thinking that I may have a cheap acoustical room treatment I had not yet thought of using productively.
Smiley

More to play with for later, it seems. Obviously any movable mass, including a chair or sofa will change up the room responses somewhat, but the degree of change from moving the open movable mass is what has me up and shouting so.

For now I set it back where it took me a month to determine the best placement for it when it IS active and I'll keep on listening to some old recordings I have.

I know some of us have multiple speaker systems in the same room, some used for various purposes while others sit idle, but I wonder if anyone else has had this huge change happen in their rigs after moving an unused something around.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #283 - 03/02/23 at 20:41:23

Everything in the room changes the way the room sounds. Usually not as dramatic as what you experienced though.

I've slowly been moving storage boxes out of my music room and every time I move a few it sounds better.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #284 - 03/02/23 at 21:35:45

Long long ago, when I could visit the hifi retailers, they always placed only the speakers we listen to in the room, all other speakers were removed, because the sound could and did play on the unused drivers and modified the music perception.
Actually, I am surprised to see so many speaker in Steve listening room.

They also never use a dust cover on the turntable playing the music. Try that, close the dust cover and pass your hand swiftly on top, see what's happen ! You might not be very pleased !

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #285 - 03/02/23 at 21:38:33

Hey DD,

Last month indulge in one of my all-time favorite treats pineapple upside down cake. Was hoping your daughter might share her apple upside down spice cake recipe. Are your ribs feeling better? Sounds like your in good hands with wonderful delights to aid in your recovery.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #286 - 03/11/23 at 04:59:01

Hey, Jec, I'm sure your pineapple cake was fabulous. It is also one of my favorites.
Can't really share a recipe for my daughter's creations, since she does not make or even follow recipes. She just has a natural "knack" for baking that her mom also has. Hence, my troubling wasteline.

She gets an idea and finds she doesn't have all the ingredients she needs then just comes up with something delicious out of what is on hand. It's like she has the wisdom and experience of decades, but she's only been baking about six years.
I promised her early in her kitchen career that I would eat all her experiments, even failures so long as she keeps trying and learning.

Evidence of keeping my promise has already been mentioned.
Grin

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #287 - 03/11/23 at 05:16:39

Hi, Toopy, I remember those days. It is tough to even find a decent stereo shop these days, though.
The ones here that do cater to the upper level of clientele and higher grade products usually don't have much on display when you walk in and demonstrations are by appointment only.
Sheesh!

When I worked at a BBY store, we had a "Magnolia" room that had a hundred or more speaker systems on display, some good stuff and much average, overly engineered, low efficiency boutique sounds.
Room was full of Martin Logan, B&W, Vienna Acoustics, high dollar Klipsch, many others, completely covering three walls. The fourth was a mountain of electronics. The floor was heavily carpeted and the ceiling had every permanent install ceiling mount speaker we offered, mounted somewhere.

Locating the right system components to demo was even more difficult than it sounds.

I always wondered how anyone could make a purchasing decision for a five to twelve thousand dollar pair of speakers, based on what I was hearing. The room was dead, and not just fresh dead, either.

As far as turntable static, I've been fighting that for forever, it seems.
One of my buddies had a glass cover made, thinking it does not conduct; it should help. Well, it didn't, in fact I think his glass top turntable was worse.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #288 - 03/11/23 at 05:18:18

Fair enough DD, just one question. Does she use tart apples?

Apple upside down spice cake sounds delicious.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #289 - 03/11/23 at 05:28:07

Thanks, Groovy.
BTW, your room is looking amazing!
Wish I had just one of your deep pockets to slosh around in for a while.
Grin

I have been playing with this moving the inactive speaker system around phenomenon all week and finding some patterns that are useful and sometimes against the obvious.

I know everything makes a difference to everything else, but had I not randomly placed my open subwoofer in a place that was horribly detrimental to the overall balance of bass, I might not have goofed with it so long.

Adding a prelimenary conclusion, some places where the placement is harmful, also sound bad when powered on and playing. The opposite is also true.
Finding a placement where the absorption of the inactive speaker system is beneficial also sounds better when powered up and working.
Imagine that.
Always learning, working hard so I can play more.
Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #290 - 03/11/23 at 05:47:23

Jec, hard question to answer. She usually uses the most tart little green apples she can find. Every now and then we can find some tart Winesap (little red) apples around here, but they are rare.
She once used the tart AND bitter crab apples from a tree growing in our old house. She hated it because of the bitters, but then she has very young taste buds. Most of us oldsters enjoy our bitters.

She has tried an English version of an apple tart that had way more cinnamon and butter than most tea cake lovers would tolerate.

If I was going to try to categorize her apple (and fruit in general) baking prowess, I would call it more like frittering. Could be the German heritage.

She surprised us all a couple of weeks ago with a cinnamon roll recipe she added bits of apple and shredded pecans to with some sweetened pecan butter glaze drizzled over the top. It was wonderful!

She always asks, "What does it need?" and it is hard to find ways to improve upon her instincts.
I did ask what she thought of using a springform pan and making one large cinnamon roll about the same as what she had just made, but instead of a glaze, cover the top with her spicy apples and a "crunchy" instead of smooth pecan butter.

Two days later, my idea became reality in her hands.
Hey, Pal, I could brag about my kids all day, but I'll hold off for now.
Smiley

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #291 - 03/11/23 at 12:20:07

DD, thank you—sounds better than it looks Wink

One thing you can try is shorting the terminals of the unused speakers. Take a small piece of wire and run it between both binding posts.

Quote:
As far as turntable static, I've been fighting that for forever, it seems.

Static from the air or static on the actual records?

There is the classic Milty Zero Stat, they are spendy. I prefer using an ARC lighter. It ionizes the air and de-statics records well, great thing is you can pick one up for less than $10. Mine is a stick about 9" activate it and slowly move it over the record about 1 cm away after brushing. I've just started looking into a "bench top ionizer". I don't have much of a static problem so that might be overkill. I might keep it at the back of the room with my records and blast them before putting on the TT.

Tart fruit is the way to go with baked goods in my book. Baking with fruit is a tricky thing to master.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #292 - 03/11/23 at 16:54:09

Record static is a PIA. At least half the year here, it's cold and dry and the gas furnace kills any moisture left after that. I use a zero stat almost all winter long. The zero stat has its limits, it won't free a brand new record from the electrified grip of the sleeve. Also, when cleaning records the vacuum adds static. Two years ago I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IAV3GHO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?i..., it was $20 in the warehouse. When I use it with the record cleaner, no static at all. I've tried using it to blow the static out of bed sheets...didn't work so well. Anyhow, for $20 it was well worth it.

I didn't look too much into this, some say using ionizers long term on plastic has negative effects on the plastic. So don't leave it on and pointed at your record shelf!

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #293 - 03/12/23 at 16:12:51

Sean, Thanks for the link I did a little more searching and found the same unit rebranded at a better price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VN1RFVY?psc=1&smid=AOAGCUFBH2AR2&ref_=chk_typ_imgTo...

I placed an order.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #294 - 03/12/23 at 18:59:07

Hey, Groovy,
Yep, one of the first things I did when I was trying to find if I was just being a baby or if I was dealing with something substantial was to short the drivers. That changed some things, but did not make the entire effect null.

Back when I ran a sound reinforcement business ('79 to '98), one of the things I always did was to short the heavy cone drivers for travel. At first I used electrical twist lock connectors for my big bass bins and just had a male end on a chain screwed to each bin. Once the signal cable is disconnected I just plugged in the shorting adapter for movement and travel time.

I eventually found a DIN connector that could be set up to do the same thing internally. So I switched to those for all the big bins and that was great, although kind of spendy for the convenience.
Then about a month after I dropped big bucks to fit out 64 large dual fifteen folded horn bass bins and over 150 smaller midbass horns with the fancy DIN connectors, Neutrix came out with the about the same thing at one fourth the price. Face/palm

Anyway, shorting is also a test procedure I use often.
Smiley

The Milty Zero Stat is one of the first items I tried for fighting static when they first came out, after trying grounded metal plates and such.
They work fairly well. About a year ago, I was thinking that my old Zero Stat from about 1980 may have lost some of its mojo so I bought a new one. It's about the same. They both work fine, just not all the way through an entire LP sometimes.

There is one almost free thing I also do which I have mentioned here before with no one responding or even trying it I presume.
I make up a spritzer bottle of "Downy" anti static fabric softener and spritz the floor and all around my listening area and path to my gear, then the back of things. I don't sprtiz the gear, just the surrounding floor and fabric areas. This actually drops it down enough to where the Zero Stat effect now lasts through an entire LP side without static apearing again.
It actually helps quite a bit.

Looking at Sean's comment, here in Indiana we run the furnaces about half the year here as well and the super dry air this creates is also super staticky. This time of year the Downy works as well as anything else I have tried. Adding the Zero Stat, I am much less bothered!
Still troubling. I can leave the room with my turntable running, the arm lifted, then when I return from another untreated part of the house to approach the table, you can hear my approach in the way the static responds.
TRUE!
Smiley

Those air ionizers you guys suggested look amazing and if they help some, that is one more step in the right direction.
I just ordered the Feita version, but it says it usually ships in one to two months. Bummer.
Anyway, I'll have one eventually to try out.

Thanks to both you guys for the heads up!!

Smiley

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #295 - 03/12/23 at 19:00:09

OH, sorry for the long post.

I'm old and I talk about the past too much I suppose.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #296 - 03/12/23 at 19:15:23

Hey, Sean, I'll probably switch my order to the one I can have this week, so Amazon will just have to deal with a bothersome customer.
Grin

I saw your mention of ionized air circulation influencing plastic products over time, but I wonder about how much time, how much exposure, which types of plastics, etc.
Something to look at more closely, I suppose.

Kind of like when they told us that with CDs you will get perfect sound forever, but did not mention that one of the things that ages a CD is the laser light that makes them work.
Roll Eyes

I know We've probably covered this elsewhere, but if I was going to recommend another tiny helper in the battle against static on LPs, I would mention that the Mobile Fidelity inner sleeves for all your vinyl does seem to help quite a bit.

However, as I mentioned before, I believe that most of my trouble with static is environmental and endemic to my listening space.

But I don't know how many times I have pulled out an LP and seen dust just fly onto the surface immediately after removing it from even some of the upper grade paper inner sleeves.

Mobile Fidelity is my favorite.

Any other ideas out there guys?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #297 - 03/12/23 at 19:33:35

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #298 - 03/12/23 at 19:40:26

Not sure if this would help in your room DD but will make life more comfortable during heating months.

AprilAire 500 Whole Home Humidifier, Automatic Compact Furnace Humidifier, Large Capacity Whole House Humidifier for Homes up to 3,600 Sq. Ft., White https://a.co/d/1E9tPvj

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #299 - 03/12/23 at 20:28:40

Quote:
OH, sorry for the long post.

I'm old and I talk about the past too much I suppose.

When your searching for a sound/music from the past the above statement requires no apology.

Funny how the brain works. Can't remember the dinner menu from last week. Sounds/music memories last a lifetime.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print