Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 05:27:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware SE34I-5 and Magnepan LRS (Read 1459 times)
RossQ
Verified Member

Decware SE34I-5 and Magnepan LRS
02/11/22 at 22:57:42

I have Magnepans LRS’s and originally linked them to my Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III and thought wow this is a great sound. Loved it. Then, for hits and giggles, I connected up the Decware SE34I-5 6 watt amp to the LRS’s and yes the bass isn’t at tight as the Rogue Audio and it will distort if pushed too far (but for a lot, but not all of the music I listen too and the levels I listen too, it is fine). The little Decware sounds better. Seems to have a blacker background, more transparent, still lovely warm sounding and dynamics are surprisingly good (I listen to Prog rock, rock, blues, acoustic and Jazz). To get over the few limitations I am considering bridging the Decware into a 12watt mono amp and buying another so I will have two 12 watt mono blocks. I would sell the Rogue Audio. Am I crazy. Everywhere I read it says Maggie’s require lots and lots of power. The other option is sell the SE45I-5 and buy the Zen Mystery Amp. An increase in cost and I’m not sure of the sound compared to a SET. Any thoughts?

I have tried a high sensitivity full range single driver boxed speaker with the Decware amp but it didn’t do it for me compared to the LRS

My system is:
Mac Mini running Audirvāna (Tidal & Qobuz)
Denafrips Pontus II DAC
Triode Wire Labs speakers cables and interconnects
2 x Rel T/5i subwoofers
Magnepan LRS Speakers
Decware SE34I-5 6watt Rachael integrated  amp
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III 55watt triode/100watt ultralinear integrated amp
Room 13x13x9 feet (LxWxH)

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware SE34I-5 and Magnepan LRS
Reply #1 - 02/11/22 at 23:20:09

I think Steve tried the ZMA with Magnepans and talked about it in his original ZMA (Mystery Amp) thread.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 02/12/22 at 15:43:50

Not crazy, I've been using 2 UFOs as monoblocks and they are amazing. I don't have any opinion as to whether you are better off with another Rachel or something higher powered, but if you want something Decware I suggest placing the order soon. With delivery time pushing 2 years you'll have plenty of time to decide for sure before it gets built.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/11/22 at 04:54:03

RossQ wrote:

Quote:
Everywhere I read it says Maggie’s require lots and lots of power.

Maggie’s need high current, which not the same as high watts.

The LRS need high current to sound their best. That doesn’t mean they won’t play ok on low watt amps, but rather they will sound better on certain high current solid state amps.  But better is relative, and the sound need only satisfy you.

Your current testing only proves that you like the LRS better on your 6 watt Decware than on your Rogue. That does not prove that your Decware is supplying the LRS enough current to sound their best.

I own the LRS and love them. But if I were planning on investing in a Zen Mystery amp, I’d also budget for a new pair of non-Maggie speakers in order to hear the Zen at its best.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print