Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:59:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Triode vs Rachel output comparison (Read 1142 times)
Scott M
Verified Member

Zen Triode vs Rachel output comparison
02/07/22 at 14:57:01

I have both of these amps and swap between them using the same preamp and speakers.   The volume control on each amp stays set at maximum and volume is controlled with the preamp.   Both amps run the same rectifier and input tubes.  

Then used an SPL meter in a fixed position to measure Pink Noise on each amp.  The Zen Triode measured 74.1 dB.   The Rachel measured 68.7 dB.   I am surprised the more powerful Rachel measured 5.4 dB quieter when all other variables remained constant.  Thoughts on why this might be?

For reference, the Zen Triode is rated at 2 WPC output and the Rachel at 6 WPC.

I've not tried to determine the maximum volume that can be safely achieved with each.

IP Logged
thethanimal

Re: Zen Triode vs Rachel output comparison
Reply #1 - 02/07/22 at 15:08:23

The Rachel requires 2.5 volts from the preamp for full output, while the Zen Triode only requires 1.5 volts. I don’t know the gain structure for each, but let’s say you’re putting out 1.5 V from the preamp at that volume control setting: you’ll be getting the maximum watts out of the Zen (~2.3W) but much less than maximum watts out of the Rachel and very likely less than 2.3 W.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 02/07/22 at 15:20:20

Yes. There is a difference between power and gain. Technically gain is how much the voltage (aka volume) increases. Power is how much current the amp can source to sustain the voltage across your speaker load. What this means in real life is "loud" is not determined by power. What more power gets you is the ability to play louder without clipping.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Scott M
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/07/22 at 15:23:00

OK, I would have guessed an input sensitivity difference but had not seen anything on the web site that referred to that parameter.   Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print