Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:35:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Purchasing downloaded music (Read 937 times)
M_P
Verified Member

Purchasing downloaded music
02/04/22 at 20:06:25

So, I ripped my CD collection and donated the disks. Since then I have been living the streaming life. I’m hoping to get thoughts and options on purchasing music in digital form.

Streaming is convenient and perfect for discovering new stuff but knowing that the artists get so little compensation from every download has me thinking about purchasing the music I like well enough to collect.

I’m currently using Qobuz through Roon and I enjoy the combination. I see that depending on the plan I can purchase and own downloads from Qobuz, but I’m guessing that there are other venues to do the same, e.g.  Bandcamp.

Can anyone offer their experience or advise on the subject?

Home office: Mac mini => SMSL SU-9 => SE84UFO2 => Omega CAMS or Bottlehead Crack => Sennheiser HD-6XX
Studio: Mac Pro/Roon => Bluesound Node => Elekit TU8200DX => DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy's
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Purchasing downloaded music
Reply #1 - 02/07/22 at 23:24:06

I don't stream but I started buying downloads from Qobuz and prestomusic.com maybe a year ago. In a lot of cases the music that I want (mostly classical) is cheaper to download than to buy the physical media, or the CD is out of print. And I'm running short on shelf space for my CDs. I still like physical media, but my downloads sound great played on a cheap Windows laptop with Foobar2000 and it is hard to beat the convenience.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Re: Purchasing downloaded music
Reply #2 - 02/08/22 at 00:19:50

I have experimented with purchase and download of digital music, but by far still prefer physical media, especially records.

The exceptions for me have been albums that are difficult or pricey to attain in physical form. At one point years ago, I purchased some albums from IMusic (Apple), but do find that I can tell the difference except when listening on the go. Since then, I have purchased very little downloadable music. When I have, it has been from nativedsd.com, mostly jazz and classical. I tend to wait until they're having a good sale.

I do stream in the car with Qobuz, but if I really like something, I try to purchase physical media to support the artists.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print