Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 08:58:38 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk IV Transformer Hum through speakers (Read 13106 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Torii Mk IV Transformer Hum through speakers
Reply #50 - 01/21/23 at 06:17:59

Tony….thanks for the heads up on their discs.  Yeah I’m psyched about getting the ZROCK.   I’ll use the stock tube to break it in….but I’m really looking forward to using the Amperex Holland pinched waist 5962 tube that I’ve been stocking up.

4krow….good to hear that you had a positive experience with their products.  Both my Torii and Zen amps don’t have any discernible hum…but yes I did notice the change in the midrange…even with the samples.  I didn’t know they would have no affect on hum…..good to know.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #51 - 02/08/23 at 15:43:04

In mid-January, I mentioned (above) that after talking with Steve, I would send my Torii MKIV back to IL to inspect for anything causing the hum I had experienced. After just a couple of weeks or so, it returned last week.

As one might have expected, Steve found nothing wrong, and the level of hum found was within the expected levels of acceptance. Knowing that is helpful as I can now eliminate the nagging question of whether something is wrong with the amp. He did say he made some adjustments but could not predict how they would affect performance in my environment.

The good news is that the hum is less to my ear. It is now similar to the hum produced by my SE84UFO when placed in the exact location. For both amps, the hum cannot be heard from the listening position 10-12 feet away from the speaker. I can pick it up from two feet, but that is not an issue.  

From my talks with Steve and my exploration over the past 14 months with hum management, I conclude that it is common for some Decware amps to hum. It is how loud they hum and how that affects the listener.

Steve said the challenge is to design an amp with great dynamics and minimal hum. One could eliminate all hum, but at the cost of a higher quality sound. It is a balancing act.  

I should add one other newly discovered issue. After a year of daily amp use, my power tubes failed - or at least one did. Not to discount what Steve may have done by working around the edges when he had the amp, the change of power tubes might account for current hum improvement.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Versarian
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 06/23/23 at 10:22:56

Great! Thank you for your sharing. I can enhance my knowledge. It is so exciting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print