Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:44:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Caintuck Audio model name changes (Read 7538 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Caintuck Audio model name changes
01/11/22 at 06:29:04

As I was developing new versions of the speakers and baffles for my product line, the naming of them was pretty much a process of "flying by the seat of my pants" .....

It was recently brought to my attention that there was some confusion related to the "Plus" and "Magnum" names.

So ..... I am now referring to all 1 1/2" thick baffles as the "Magnum" series. They are configured for rear mounted drivers.

The "Plus" baffles are only available for the various 8" drivers and are 7/8" thick with rear mounted drivers.

The "original" baffles for all driver models are 7/8" thick and configured for front mounted drivers.

This should simplify things a bit and hopefully reduce the confusion.

Current Product List

There are currently 12 orders in the build queue and shipping on new orders is at eight to ten weeks.

Many thanks to Steve for promoting Caintuck Audio products on the Decware Audio website and forums .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Caintuck Audio model name changes
Reply #1 - 01/11/22 at 13:21:02

Thanks for the update Randy. Congrats on the orders, they are well deserved and likely keeping you out of trouble😉.

I'm loving my Lii 15 Magnum curly cherry baffles. I continued to be amazed at the music these speakers produce in my system. Truly beautiful sound that often brings me to tears.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/11/22 at 17:31:07

Good to know Just ordered some f15's this mourning. Thinking about ordering some Caintuck baffles.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/11/22 at 17:34:32

What is the "Wenge" option 3 ?  Is that two tone finish?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #4 - 01/11/22 at 18:53:48

Jec,

The following link shows examples of some of the different finishes that they offer:

http://www.caintuckaudio.com/Photo_Gallery.html

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/11/22 at 20:40:35

Thanks Geno that was a big help. Missed that on his website.

Wow they look great!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #6 - 01/11/22 at 22:21:40

Hi HK,

Thank you so much for the kind words .....
Surprisingly, about 75% of the new orders are for the thicker Magnum baffles. They are a lot more work to build, but they sound good and the feedback from customers has been VERY positive.

Hi jec3504,

Wenge is a very dark and beautiful African hardwood.
When linseed oil or poly finish is applied to it, it turns to a color that is nearly jet black.  Unfortunately for me, it smells like dog poop when it's being sanded or routed.
Happily, for the customer, there is no "aroma" on the finished baffles .....

This is a photo of a Wenge Lii 15 Magnum baffle .....

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 01/11/22 at 22:55:43

Quote:
Unfortunately for me, it smells like dog poop when it's being sanded or routed.

This made me laugh.  This summer I was working with some African Mahogany that gave me a bitter taste in my mouth.  Must be some kind of insect defense.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 01/12/22 at 00:15:21

Wenge makes excellent guitar necks. I have two made by Warmoth: one on a Stratocaster with an ebony fretboard, and one on a Precision bass with its own (wenge) fretboard. Feels so good and seems to give a rich tone.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 01/26/22 at 16:39:56

Randy,

Many posts suggest that making baffles from softwood is a bad idea. I’m curious to know if you have tried this and if so, with which species?

They are all pretty light but differ greatly in Elastic Modulus.

I’m planning to build larger baffles for my Silver-10’s but I might start by building the small baffles out of plywood first and comparing them to baffles made from Cedar and/or Douglas Fir. I might make them 2 or more inches thick to add mass.

Any thoughts you can share?

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #10 - 01/26/22 at 19:37:04

Hi Shomei’a,

The softest wood that I have made baffles from is Poplar.
On the Janka hardness scale, it is listed at 540
For a comparison, here are some other hardwood ratings -

Douglas Fir - 660
Eastern Red Cedar - 900
Red Oak - 1220
Hard Maple - 1450

If there was a huge difference sonically between the Poplar and most of the other hardwoods I have used, I could not hear it.
It's quite possible that the size of the baffle limited the difference.
If the baffles were larger, it might make a bigger difference.

A few years ago, I made a couple of pairs of baffles from Bubinga.
The Janka rating for that hardwood is 1980.
I actually heard a difference in the baffles made from that wood ..... and so did a friend of mine who is not a hardcore audio guy.
These baffles had slightly better focus and detail.

So ..... it seems that the very hard species of wood can make a difference sonically.

If anyone else has a thought on this, please share it .....

Best wishes,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/26/22 at 22:56:14

Hardness and density may or may not be related and might affect the sound in different ways.  So just looking at harness could be misleading.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 01/26/22 at 23:23:49

Escatly.  Seems to me the hardness is less important than the Elastic Modulus and the Density.

However, the measurements of ME are static and this may not relate to the sound properties of wood, to to its suitability as a baffle. (see, for example, https://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/ARE/djamel/Publications/frequency_dependence_moe_wo...
od.pdf).  

Any strong resonance in a baffle would be unwelcome. Steve's suggestion that mixing woods in a baffle is an interesting one, not just because they have different properties but also because there might be significant impedance between sound propagation between the wood strips. This leads me to a sacrilegious idea: making a baffle out of a combination of hardwoods and softwoods.

I am planning to make a few Betsy Baffles with my (recently arrived) Silver-10's. It would be interesting to study these and to share the results. Listening tests would be most important but frequency responses with sweep tones would also be important. I don't know how to do this or what equipment might be necessary.

Randy, Steve, does this interest you?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/26/22 at 23:54:15

I think someone on here applied vibration dampening coating to the back of their baffle.  I used brass weights strategically placed on the backs of my baffles with the idea of breaking up resonances.  I can see the idea of no resonance but a "deadened" baffle seems counter intuitive.

A piano soundboard is cedar (generally, I think).  But a violin is maple.  I'm not sure if a musical instrument analogy is appropriate though.  I'm still hoping someone makes a baffle out of 3 cm granite.

IMG_2731_a_001.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 01/27/22 at 02:42:54

A couple of additional thoughts.

If mixing species of woods, please take into account the different growth/shrinkage rates due to moisture/temperature. (Some can be significant, especially if combining softwoods with hardwood.) Grain direction is also extremely key.

I would think that overall mass would be a consideration. More mass obtained for a given size by choosing more dense woods. Or simply go bigger or thicker. (Realizing that bigger changes other sound characteristics.) My understanding is that there is difference in sound noted between Randy’s 7/8” thick versus the 1-1/2” magnum version. So if it is mass, could one make, say, a 3” thick baffle out of poplar or pine, and get the same result as a thinner harder wood. (And where does MDF fit in? Gosh, I’ve still got my old prototype baffles; I wonder how they sound?)

Hmmmm… I wonder how a 1-1/2” granite slab or 2” thick concrete pour would sound versus my cherry baffles?

Chris

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 01/27/22 at 17:32:46

Archie,

Did you hear significant changes to the sound when you added your weights?  Can you describe them in more detail? Were they subtle?

Many OB builders completely isolate their drivers and baffles. According to this way of thinking, a deadened baffle would be best. Steve believes that the baffles are, to some degree, acting as soundboards. If they are, it would seems that resonance would be unwanted.

IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 01/27/22 at 17:47:44

Chris,

We are thinking along similar lines.There are several experiments that would be interesting; time and money are limitations.

For example, if limiting standing waves is important, then building the baffle from sections with different impedances would work. This could be done by choice of woods, or, when using a single species, simply making alternating sections thicker or thinner (in the back of the baffle). The impedance is is proportional to the square of the material thickness.

Wood expansion/contraction occurs mostly along the width so orienting the boards similarly should be sufficient.

Greater mass would definitely have an effect; Sound radiation is directly proportional to the modulus of elasticity, E (high in dense African hardwoods) and inversely proportional to the density (same). so the ratio of E to density might be key. The best soundboards are made from very thin Sitka Spruce which has a ratio of E/D of nearly 4. Interestingly, poplar also has a high ratio. Steve offers his baffles in poplar but I haven't seen any posts about how they sound.

Would love to hear the results of a comparison of your MDF prototypes to your cherry versions!

Gary

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/27/22 at 18:06:18

I can't honestly say I heard a difference and with the way the weights are firmly screwed on the back I wasn't willing to take them on and off or move them around.  If you read back in the Big Betsy thread you'll see where this came from.  I was playing test signals and using a stethoscope to try and identify baffle resonance.  Steve mentioned that I'd need to do that with whole spectrums of frequencies and I didn't have the drive or equipment for a project like that.  He then suggested weights on the back.  Or maybe he suggested the weights and I was trying to figure out where to locate them for best effect?  I ended up using a 2/5 -- 3/5 formula since I saw that on some YouTube video of a guy doing flat panel speakers.

So, they may help or do nothing but they look cool and cost enough that I just left them on.  The single change that made a real and significant improvement in sound and image was tilting the speakers back.

IMG_2800a.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 01/27/22 at 19:54:41

Okay, so I'm an old retired engineer and love to contemplate some of this stuff. And as my curmudgeoness has grown stronger, I guess maybe I've also gotten a bit lazier and more willing to accept SOME things.  And as my hearing isn't what it used to be (like not hearing the stuff over 12khz or thereabouts), I've also become more of a realist regarding my stereo (and other things too - like I'm never going to be a pro golfer or pro brewer, or sing professionally).

Where I settle out regarding this idea of woods for a OB, is to find something that you like the looks of and make the speakers. With thicker and heavier woods being better. I wouldn't worry too much about the various coefficients of expansion, propagation, etc. Just don't mix grain directions in the build and I'll bet you'll have a killer set of speakers. (and yes - tilt them back a few degrees)

By the way - how did we all manage to railroad Randy's post about his model name change?  Sorry Randy!

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 01/27/22 at 22:48:03

Archie,

Thanks for the info.  A paper Wood For Sound in American Journal of Botany 2006 by Ulrike Wegst provides very interesting information.  So does Linkwist Lab.  The later suggests that dampening the baffle is a bad idea (agrees with Steve) and better to brace it to reduce resonance. He suggests extensive bracing.

Good to know about tilting. I'm trying to work out a way to tilt the speakers to various angles while leaving them as close as possible to the floor.

Gary

IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 01/27/22 at 22:54:25

I hear you Chris.  I'm just a bit younger than you.

I'm thinking of building Betsy's and may make 2 pairs: One from poplar (high elasticity to density) and one from Sassafras (low elasticity to density). Both 1.5-2 inches thick. It will also be easy to test the effects of adding hinged wings which would make moving a storing large baffles much easier.

Might also try to repurpose one of the smaller baffles for a W-15

Might be interesting.

Gary

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/27/22 at 23:21:38

Steve just used a 2X4 under his.  I started with something similar but I didn't like the look.  He suggested that keeping the gap closed was important.  That's another subtle factor that I didn't hear a difference with.

IMG_2796a_001.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 01/27/22 at 23:45:44

good to know

IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 01/28/22 at 12:05:58

For another option on mounting the baffles with a tilt, you may want to look at the photos I posted in the members systems picture thread. Mine is listed under DIY Betsy & Buck (or something like that). The front edge of my base is double thickness (3”) and cut at around a 5 degree angle. When the baffle is mounted to the base, it then has a 5 degree tilt back. This tilt, along with the mass of the base (including the choke), and the speaker drivers being behind the baffle all contribute to the center of gravity being significantly behind the baffle face. This makes it difficult to accidentally knock the speakers over. I also cut the bottom of the baffle with the complementary angle so that the bottom of the baffle is in the same plane as the base bottom.

By the way, Betsy & Buck was one of Randy’s earlier designs prior to the popularity of the Lii F15. My speakers are a bit bigger than the Caintuck models, but not nearly the size of the Decwares.

Chris

IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 01/28/22 at 13:51:15

Nice job!  Very pretty.

I was thinking of something similar for my experimental versions.  Because listening distance may change there may not be an optimal angle.  One potential (a bit complex) solution is to have the front of the base cut at 90 degrees, and then attach to an adapter piece that can be made with different angles. We’ll see when I get there.  For now, I’ve decided to build two sets of small panels, one from sassafras (low ratio of elasticity to density) and one from poplar (high ratio). Both woods are relatively inexpensive.  Once I have a template made building them should be relatively straight forward.  Still, with everything else going on it will take some time.

Cheers,

Gary

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 01/30/22 at 21:18:07

Hey Archie, can you give us some idea of what angle your baffle is tilted back? 7.5 degrees? 15 degrees?

Thanks,
Randy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print