Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 14:59:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Having Real Trouble With R45 Connectors (Read 1450 times)
fight
Verified Member

Having Real Trouble With R45 Connectors
01/10/22 at 07:43:49

I've attached RJ45(https://www.kynix.com/Blog/The-Best-Tutorial-for-RJ45-Connector.html) connections to both ends of a cat5 cable, but there's no ethernet connection when I test it on my laptop. I also have a working pre-made ethernet cable, so I know it's my homemade ethernet cable. I cut the cat5 to 12.5mm and connect both ends with the same type of connector (i.e s68A)
I've tried it a few times now with the same outcome, namely that it doesn't work.
I could test for continuity at both ends with a piece of twine and earth, but how do I test for continuity through an RJ45 connector?
The following are the issues that I notice, but I'm not sure which is the most likely or if there are any more that I'm overlooking.
1. Poor quality connectors, not actually making contact in the laptop or router.
2. cat 5 not actually terminated inside the RJ45 connector
3. RJ45 Crimping tool not effective which leads to 2 above.
Cheers, all.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Having Real Trouble With R45 Connectors
Reply #1 - 01/10/22 at 14:13:12

I hear you. Computer networking at a mid-major research university was my day job for many years and terminating ethernet cables was the part of the job I liked the least, and by a wide margin. Unfortunately without a tool that checks each of the conductors it is almost impossible to debug a bad cable but here are a couple things from my experience.

If you look closely, perhaps with magnification you can look in the RJ45 and confirm the conductors are in the correct order and are all long enough to make contact with the end of the RJ45.

After you crimp tug the RJ45 to confirm it is tight.

My biggest problem (besides being colour blind and getting green and brown confused) was after I had arranged the conductors in the proper order I would cut them to length, but I wouldn't cut them straight so typically one side or the other didn't make good contact.

It looks like you can get cheap ethernet cable testers from e.g. Amazon. My best advice is if you want to make your own cables you should invest in one of them.

Good luck!

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/10/22 at 23:02:58

flight,

I just made a custom data cable of cat5 terminated with RJ45s. It was the last task of hardware updates in the office at home. The reason for being last is because it can be a real pain in the butt to get right. There have been times in the past that things did not go so well but this time it went without a hitch. Well almost.

I used this tool:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-RG11-RJ45-Modular-Plug-Crimper-GMC-20...

By no means it is the best tool out there but will do the job if one takes a bit different approach.

1. Do not follow the directions on the package. I found if the all in one cutting step is followed the tool will nick the jacket and solid copper strands. The nick on the copper can be so severe that the copper will sever with some flexing of the cable!

2. Don't think the crimping operation can be completed in one compression. I also found that it can miss the outer end contacts entirely!

A work around as follows created a good cable in one try.

1. Place the cable in the opposite end of the tool that is meant to cut the cable completely and square. Cut the cable. Then place the cut cable in the other end up to the blade used to just cut the cable. Squeeze the handles just enough to nick the outer jacket on both side with the set of cutters...do not press hard! Work the other jacket off by bending the cable from the nicks just made. Separate the pair of wires in the proper order making the wires flat and together to fit into the connector. If some trimming is needed to make all ends the same length now is the time to do it. Necessary unraveling the twisted wires can cause the wires to change lengths somewhat.

2. When ready insert the wires into the RJ45 termination pushing the wire ends all the way to the end of the RJ45 making sure all wires are in the right slot and given a good amount of pressure. Place the assembly into the crimping part of the tool while keeping forward pressure on the cable keeping it seated firmly into the RJ45. Some clicking should be heard as the handle is squeezed as far as it will go. Repeat this several times then pull out the assembly for inspection. Under good light make sure all the contacts are pressed in at the same distance. If all looks good, reinsert the the RJ45 into the tool and squeeze a few more times for good measure.

I also found if the compression is not done right that over years this can cause a problem of  loosing data connections. I have used this tool a couple of times recompressing old data cables to fix problems of this nature.

HTH

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #3 - 02/13/22 at 20:21:55

This is more for someone reading this in the future. Do not buy the plastic tools. A good metal one does not cost much more and give you fewer headaches. For a few dollars more you can have this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-RJ45-RJ11-Modular-Plug-Crimper-Kit-Tool-with-1...

I strip the cable by scoring it with a razor knife. I then bend the jacket to break it. I inspect the wires to see nicked the insulation on any of them...if I did I cut it all off and start over. You can also buy a stripper.

If you are making your own data cables a tester will save you a lot of time and headaches. I have tested premade cables that came with routers and modems that were bad...brand new out of the box. One cable that came with a router was only allowing one direction of communication.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print