04/25/24 at 07:59:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hum (Read 3635 times)
joralieu
Verified Member

Hum
12/24/21 at 03:16:18

Have some 60hz hum with my 25th zen. How much is normal? I can hear it when I walk into the room with no music playing. My Bottlehead sex is dead silent when change to it.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Hum
Reply #1 - 12/24/21 at 12:50:12

I had a UFO25TH on my 96db PAP quintets and it was silent.

Can you hear the amp humming? how loud? a faint hum, I wouldn’t worry about.

If you turn the volume all the way down on both channels does it still hum? Does it hum with no RCAs attached? (volume up and down) If it stops try a different set of RCAs. Try replacing all the tubes. Try a different outlet.

That is a starting point for troubleshooting.

Is it a new amp? If it's bearable let the amp run for a few hundred hours, sometimes the hum settles down with time. I would do some troubleshooting and schedule a call with Steve after trying a few things.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
duaneh
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/24/21 at 14:18:29

My SE84UFO25 is behind my TV to keep it safer from my three year old grandson.  When I contort myself around my speakers and the TV’s back to turn it off, bending close to it, I notice a very, very slight 60 cycle hum, nearly inaudible.

What comes out of my 99db Heresy III speakers with volume up is bliss; what comes out without a signal (and with the source turned on), even when I max the amp’s gain, is perfectly nothing, a black hole.

Though I don’t mean to imply that the slight hum is normal, I’m able to disregard it.

Decware SE84UFO25, ZROCK2, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (with Modwright modifications), Klipsch Heresy IIIs, Forte IVs, Mapleshade Double Helix 2 speaker wire, Decware DSR I/Cs, Brickwall surge protector, DHC-1 and Audiocrast power cords, Qobuz/Roon
  IP Logged
Tubecan

Reply #3 - 12/24/21 at 19:28:04

Joralieu,grab your right gain knob and twist from fulll on down too off,and if you hear staticky clicking it could be your input tube,repeat left gain and listen for scratchyness.

Just remembered I have a pair of amperex OC3 vr’s that sometime hum,once in awhile they’ll flicker and somedays will be ok.

IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/26/22 at 03:20:35

Hum is still there after 100hrs break in, only hear it when music is not playing. I still bothers me that my bottlehead is dead silent and the decware has hum.

IP Logged
Beni
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/26/22 at 14:03:57

Is there perhaps a ground loop through a radio or TV antenna cable in your system? If so, I would diagnostically remove all antenna cables or the connection to these devices.

LINN LP12 Klimax, LINN Urika II, LINN Klimax DSM Organik, ZR2-25th, Silent Angel N8 + F1, Sonore Optical, Roon, Synology, McIntosh MCD751, SEWE300B, Torii Mk V-25, McIntosh C53/MC462, Wilson Audio Sasha DAW, PSI Audio AVAA C20 Bass Trap
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 01/27/22 at 00:54:51

I have just over 300 hours on mine.  I might have heard a slight hum in the beginning with no music an even tested with no speakers connected, no inputs .....  I have not noticed any lately but will have to listen more closely.  Bottom line at least for my use case and my ears, I dont even notice if it is there.

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 01/27/22 at 01:09:28

Quote:
Hum is still there after 100hrs break in, only hear it when music is not playing. I still bothers me that my bottlehead is dead silent and the decware has hum.

Did you check with nothing attached? Did you try moving it to a different room? Did you try different tubes?

It should be dead silent, but there are things in your house/room/system that will make it hum. You need to try to isolate those and eliminate them before looking at the amp itself.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 01/27/22 at 01:22:11

Yes checked it with nothing attached and a in a different room system. Still has more hum than my bottlehead.  Its really not that loud I don't notice when music is playing. Just curious why it is there.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/27/22 at 06:39:00

I had system hum for years that I finally tracked down to some ICs close to the power outlets.  Simple fix by rerouting wires.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 01/08/23 at 03:18:52

Okay, I just discovered that if I touch one of the speaker outputs with my finger the hum goes mostly away and the VR tubes dim a little bit. What's up with that?

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/08/23 at 04:42:04

Quote:
I had system hum for years that I finally tracked down to some ICs close to the power outlets.

I just went through a similar experience.  My understanding is that you can expect some transformer hum but it should not be audible unless your ear is very close to the speaker and at the driver level.

I just installed a Puritan PSM 156.  That required that I adjust the power cable lengths.  I also read the write up on the new DHC2 power cables. I have DHC1 cables that I terminated with Furutech plugs.

My intention was not only to adjust the power cable length to get rid of the excess so as to prevent any cables from touching each other but also to determine what lengths of shielded cables I would need.

I tightened all the plugs and made sure that the ground was well seated.  Then as I went to turn off the UFO25 I contacted one of the VR tubes and the  power cable to the amp and the amp momentarily shut down.  WHAAA????

I was sure that I had the IEC well seated but checked it just in case only to discover that it was not seated all the way.  Then I checked all the IECs only to find that the IEC on the Puritan was not fully seated.  I was sure that it was.

After making sure that all cables were not touching each other and that all the plugs are fully seated I stood by the speaker, leaned over and heard nothing.  To hear any hum at all I pretty much have to touch the grill with my ear.  Before, to hear any hum I had to stand by the speaker lean over and be within a foot of the speaker, which I thought was normal.

So now I'm on a mission.  Before I change any more components all the power cables are going to be changed to shielded cables and routed so none are in contact with any other cable.

Maybe some of this can be of help.

IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 01/08/23 at 04:59:45

Also the meter's drop from about 30 to 20 when I touch a speaker output terminal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print