Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 15:17:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie researching SE84UFO25 (Read 5045 times)
jasongrotto
Verified Member

Newbie researching SE84UFO25
12/23/21 at 15:37:25

Hey all,
I'm new to the list. I've been doing some reading and YouTubing on the SE84UFO25. The more I dig in, the more obsessed I'm getting about this amp. I'm also in Chicago, and love that Decware is basically a local company.

But I'm slightly worried about whether my loudspeakers are up for the task. I'm currently using a pair of JBL 4311b monitors with a sensitivity of 91 db, and that seems to be on the bubble in terms of what is recommended.  

I only listen to vinyl. My room is pretty small, and based on some decibel   measurements I've taken I never get above about 85 db when I listen to tunes. Based on what I've read, it sounds like I should be okay. But I'm nervous!

Do you all think I'm going to be okay with the SE84UFO25?

Also, I'm pretty sure I do not need a phono pre-amp, is that correct?

Thank you all so much. I'm excited to take the plunge.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Newbie researching SE84UFO25
Reply #1 - 12/23/21 at 16:44:58

You may be okay with your speakers. But you may find yourself needing a little headroom. . . the proof will be in the pudding I'm afraid.

You WILL need a phono preamp if you are not using one now--the Anniversary amp does not include a phono preamp stage, just a line level input.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/23/21 at 17:24:59

I too had the same concern when I ordered my UFO2, although my Heresy speakers are 98 db. With my existing SS Stellar amplifier I would sometimes listen to 90 db, with the UFO I have not taken it over 85 db and don't need to. The sound is so much more immersive, dense, clear, weighted, it sounds fantastic at 70-80db. I'm sure the 25th will make it even more so, though I have not heard one.

Good luck and happy listening!

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/23/21 at 17:56:20

Honestly, I've read variations on this same question for years and what Lon posted is always the answer.  Unless your speakers are something fantastic and non-negotiable, buy the amp but be ready to upgrade your speakers.  Build the system around the amp and not the speakers (with the aforementioned proviso).

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/23/21 at 18:42:36

I have a set of JBL 4311b's. I don't have a SE84UFO, but I do have a SE84C-EX.

The 4311's were my father in law's speakers. They didn't have a good life. He used them in his 70's Bronco years ago for parking lot parties or who knows what. Then they sat for a long time, in water at one point. I replaced the bottom panel on one of them. I tried them in a variety of spots in the house and they ended up in the garage/shop. When I get a chance, I'll pull them into the listening room and see what happens. Might take a couple days, but I'll report back. It won't be an exact apples to apples test, but it's better than nothing.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
jasongrotto
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/23/21 at 18:49:13

Wow. Thank you all so much. Your responses are super helpful. I'm currently running a vintage Pioneer SA-7700 integrated amp. I had been planning to build a vintage system around the JBLs, and was looking at McIntosh and Luxman gear. But the more research I've done, the more I'm convinced I was going in the wrong direction.

For those who use a phono preamp, do you any suggestions or reviews about what works well with the SE84UFO25?

Thanks agian!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 12/23/21 at 19:10:19

I can strongly recommend the Decware ZP3 if you can afford it, you can have your order combined with the amp and get both about the same time. It's a fantastic phono preamp.

I am currently using a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter which I really like but it is no longer made, available used or NOS. Those have been the two best phono preamps I've ever had in my home. Many seem to really like the new PS Audio Stellar phono preamp.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jasongrotto
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/23/21 at 19:16:57

Thanks Sean, that's above and beyond! Really appreciate it.

And, Lon, I'll definitely check out the phono amp. Makes sense to keep it in the family. Thank you!

Happy holidays everyone.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/23/21 at 19:57:42

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #9 - 12/24/21 at 18:53:20

I would echo Lon's reply regarding the Decware ZP3, what a magical phono preamp. Keep us posted on your travels down this audio rabbit hole and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Dylan
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 03/05/22 at 14:51:44

Okay, I have a really stupid question. Could someone explain to me how the UFO25 doesn't have a pre amp? Is phono preamp stage different from a pre amp? Is the input tube (ex. 6N1P) not a pre amp tube? I am not very well versed in the tube knowledge as I am always getting confused on what is what based on what I read in the forums. However I jumped the shark and excitedly already put in my order and deposit for the UFO25 thinking I could use it like my SE34I and just run it as is (aka. nothing but the amp is connected to the speakers)

Let's just say when i read "You WILL need a phono preamp if you are not using one now--the Anniversary amp does not include a phono preamp stage, just a line level input. " i was taken aback like. "Ok I fucked up somehow". I swear I read that you don't need a preamp for it based on the input tube. The UFO25 is ALOT of money to me. like ALOT! so I didn't go into making my deposit lightly, I did dwell on it for longer than I want to admit switching back and forth between the UFO2.1 and UFO25. Now I am really worried I invested into the wrong amp and it's too late to take it back.

Any information would be Greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Dylan

IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/05/22 at 15:44:00

Hey Dylan, yes, phono stage is different than a pre-amp. You are correct that none of the Decware amps require a pre-amp, although all can benefit due to ability to ride the gain, some more than others.

Phono stage is always required when playing records. Some integrated amps have phono stages built in, but amps never do (Decware is in the minority by "giving" you ability to use their amp without a pre-amp).

In short, records use a special EQ curve to fit the music on the vinyl and keep the needle from jumping. The voltage coming from the cartridge is also miniscule. The combination of these require a phono stage to "translate" the EQ curve and boost the voltage so that it sounds good. Even if you have a pre-amp, this voltage boost (and EQ translation) are necessary.

In the 40's there were several EQ curves, but since the 50's RIAA has been the standard pretty much worldwide. That means, with a phono stage, you can listen to any record made since the 50's without worry. Most older records will work too, but the EQ may be slightly different.

Hope this made sense. In short, get a phono stage. They start at about $50, so you don't have to spend money on ZP3. Of course, you almost always get what you pay for, but it's a journey. You don't have to buy everything at once.

You can change your order if you decide. I don't have an anniversary SE84 so can't say, but you may decide to get a standard SE84 and the ZP3. You can always add anniversary mods now or later.

Good luck, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
BR: SE84C+, ZP1 phono, Decware 945
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #12 - 03/05/22 at 17:06:21

Hi Dylan.

There are a few other questions concerning this.

What cartridge will you be using? It’s output will determine whether or not you will need a step up transformer.

The Decware ZP3 is an excellent phono pre, but, depending on what your TT setup is, you may not need one that extravagant. However, the ZP3 will match the quality of the SE84UFO25, and you don’t want your phono setup to be a weak link.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/22 at 17:11:42

I just want to fill in a little relative to the end of Jon's post #11: "You can change your order if you decide. I don't have an anniversary SE84 so can't say, but you may decide to get a standard SE84 and the ZP3. You can always add anniversary mods now or later."

This seems a good option if getting a ZP3 is a priority and funds are limited. But I think it is important to note that an "SE84UFO" with anniversary mods, though family, would not give the same experience as a "SE84UFO25."

Though I have heard the lower power Taboo and Rachel variations, I have not had a chance to hear the 84s, so far my needing the power of a Torii III or IV with my speakers and room. But design wise, seems the UFO25 emerged from Steve wanting to fully optimize the design of the stalwart 84UFO. To this end the power supply is highly tuned up on the 25, in addition to internal PS design enhancements, having used voltage regulator tubes for power filtering, while also having treatments known now as Anniversary mods designed into the UFO25 voicing. From my experience with modifying my amps, these are potentially quite notable improvements for more ultimate refinements in musical presentation and experience. And as I recall watching the development thread, aside from a more advanced power supply, he made quite a number of adjustments with caps, resistors, wires, layout, connectors.... toward an even more ultimate sort of amp.

That said, I have no doubt the UFO84 with Anniversary mods is a really nice amp!

Good Luck!

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/05/22 at 17:33:50

Thanks for fleshing out my thoughts, Will. You make some great points. I can say from my experience with the Mini Torii that tube regulation is discernible and sounds better when I listen with input tube regulation on vs. off.

I personally don't have funds for an SE84UFO25, so I am always thinking with my budget in mind. When I'm done, I may realize I would have saved money by getting the "best" up front, but I'm not sure how I would know that without the journey.

Also, for me, records are my primary format so I could't trade a better amp and add phono stage later. Thanks, Jon.

LR:Mini Torii+Wright WPP100 phono, CSP2+SE84UFO, Pioneer Exclusive M4, Accuphase E-303,Graham Slee Jazz Club, Technics SL-1200MK3D Grace F-8 & Nagaoka MP-110, Yamaha NS-1000M, KEF Reference 101, Sony SS-5050
JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/05/22 at 19:48:27

I agree, prioritizing what to invest in along the way can get tricky, and the journey can surely be enlightening. And I hope I did not seem to suggest that the SE84UFO25 is necessarily "the way to go" considering all the complexities we each bring to these decisions. But for those who are less experienced with Decware, I just wanted to add to your points that the anniversary modded SE84UFO would be family, but different.

Related, as I think of my "journey," seems progressive improvements to a system/room can make the inadequacies of things I thought were pretty good become weak links, and sometimes without my knowing. Every so often I change things up in part for this reason, moving different power or IC cables around, or feet, tuning tubes or settings or parts in gear... Good sounding change causing me to hear the system differently, enlivening my musical experience, but also showing the sonic qualities of everything in a clearer/new light. And though, for the most part, I am pretty sure I have solved most weak links that I am able to solve here, I continue to find potential for refinements I had not noticed before, giving me a chance to try to find them... A basis for the efficacy of the journey being teacher, but also pointing to the wisdom of trying to avoid weak links as we go....

So beyond keeping an eye out for new things that I might benefit from, the beat goes on for me more from adjusting things I did not necessarily know needed adjusting. This is what motivated me toward making and modifying things.... adjusting good things to be better at less overall expense for the quality, while toning down the influences of riding the ever increasing unknowns and costs of the audio ladder.

It perpetually amazes me, no matter how much I improve my system and room, for me, there is always more to discover toward uncovering a deeper and more complete musical experience. I am pretty sure this is based a lot on how the more successful improvements make it easier to perceive and discern all the rest.... bringing out the good and not-so good as we dig deeper into the potential for beauty our system/rooms can reveal. What a trip it can be!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
chapsjon
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/05/22 at 20:45:01

Thanks again, Will, for adding your thoughtful insight. As you state, it is important to distinguish that a modded SE84 is NOT the same as an SE84UFO25. Again, I don't have first hand experience with either as any SE84C+ is not modded. I am currently on the waitlist for an SE84UFO w/ anniversary mods with the goal of gaining some sense of what others rave about.

As you say, so often I have not known what I was missing until I made a change and then heard it. This is confirmation of progress on the journey. It is wise, however,  to at least be headed in the "right" direction on this journey.

I have been fortunate to make all of my progress so far with used gear, so I have minimized my cost and managed to recoup losses when I made a wrong turn. I am very pleased with where I am, but would like to experience some turns I have yet to take, such as the anniversary mods.

I am constrained by budget, but also at the point where I am so pleased with much of my equipment, that I have little I want to risk selling to try something new. We'll see if that changes in a year or so with the SE84UFO with anniversary mods. Maybe I'll be so blown away that I'll decide to sell some gear to go all the way with the SE84UFO25.

JVC QL-7 Shure V15
  IP Logged
Dylan
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 03/05/22 at 21:41:57

Thank you so much for all the information it has been a great help!!

I think I am going to stick with my original purchase of the UFO25 as I will need a phono stage for either version of the UFO and I figured I would get the best amp off the hop now instead of later. Now I know what my next purchase is going to be tho. (Im almost torn to just get the order in now since the wait will be almost a year from the looks of it)

Im not just playing records tho and the one I have has a built in phono (always thought it was a preamp) but it is definitely a weak link which I am working on replacing.

My reasoning behind getting the UFO25 now was that it's a LONG wait, I got super lucky with my tax return and and it may be selfish to say but I just really really want one. They look beautiful and It wont be a stretch to say they probably sound beautiful too. And if it's anything like the SE34I I wont be disappointed.

Thanks
Dylan

Edit: My current TT is not very good, its a Audio Technica AT-LP60 which has been discontinued. I'm open for suggestions .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print